Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Specialized Sirrus X Comp Carbon

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Old 08-24-19, 04:17 PM
FM1178

Bikes: Specialized Roll & Trek Fuel Ex 8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Question for the masses.....

Interested in getting a new hybrid this year and originally thought I was going to go with the Giant Toughroad SLR1. I read that Giant is only releasing the SLR1 in a few select markets and only the SLR2 has shown up on Giant’s US website. I don’t care for the lower spec of the SLR2. I kind of turned my attention to the Sirrus X as I’m looking for a rigid fork with room for a wider tire. Do any Sirrus X owners have any gripes about the bike or anything they changed after a few rides? Seems like a pretty solid spec for the $1600 price tag. Also what other bikes were you considering before you bought the Sirrus X? Appreciate everybody’s insight.
Old 08-25-19, 09:24 AM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1566 Post(s)
Liked 1,163 Times in 591 Posts
If below is tl;dr, summary: a good, potentially great flat-bar road bike IF you are sure you want 1x. 'Too much information' version follows:

I have one, delivered in June. It was/is intended to replace my '10 Sirrus Comp, which has been a very solid ride for me since new -- although I did pretty much rebuild it to my liking after one season, which is my normal pattern.

Didn't really consider anything else when getting the Sirrus X. As with my '10, I bought the new one mainly for the frame/fork, geometry/fit, and (now) the Future Shock. The frameset is quality (paint is a little soft/easy to scuff, but I don't care about that), the fit is perfect for me (even better than my '10, because the frame reach has been extended a little for a given size), and the FS works as intended. Bike (M) is around 21 or so pounds w/pedals -- a little heavy for me, but I can live with it for now (more on that below).

The only 'gripe' I have is that the FS makes a slight 'click' sound when quickly/fully compressed. Doesn't appear to affect operation, but when I get back to the bike (away for the summer) I'll have it checked.

Other than that, it's all good. Drivetrain and brakes work well, the wheels are solid, tires fit for purpose. I did change the saddle and grips out before it left the shop, and had my XT pedals put on, but that's just personal preference.

I would give one strong caution: if you consider this bike, be sure that you want a 1x drivetrain. There is no provision at all for a front derailleur/cable etc. iirc, so you won't be able to convert it to 2x if you decide 1x isn't for you.

So far, my impressions of the bike (limited experience, but I'll be riding it lots more the next month or two) are entirely positive. That said, because it is my (bad!) habit, and because this will be my main bike for a good number of years, I'll be making the following changes this coming winter/off-season. In order of priority:

1. Wheelset: the stock ones are fine, but very heavy. I'll replace them with a good, solid aluminum wheelset in the 1500-1600 gram range.
2. Crankset: the stock one is fine, but very heavy. Again, I'll replace with something better/lighter and go to a 38-tooth chainring. I've no need for a 42x11 heavy gear.
3. Brakes: are 'fine', if a bit 'industrial' looking, but I don't like the long (3-finger style) lever. I'll replace them with flat-mount Ultegra calipers/Ice-Tech rotors mated to current XT levers.
4. Seat post: perfectly functional but again a bit 'industrial' looking. I'll replace with a good carbon one.
5. Tires: I'll be changing these to 32 or 35 high-quality road slicks. I don't need the 'cross' style stock tires for my cycling with this bike.

The above will imo improve the function and looks of the bike, and in the process drop it well into my preferred all-up weight range -- at or under 19 lbs. I can live with the NX shifter/derailleur for a couple of years, but long-term my plan is to change those as well, to electronic -- either XT shifter/derailleur or SRAM AXS (wireless).
Likes For badger1:
Old 08-25-19, 12:19 PM
FM1178

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Awesome review. I appreciate your help.
Old 08-25-19, 12:36 PM
badger1

Originally Posted by FM1178
Awesome review. I appreciate your help.
Cheers, mate. I'll probably update the end of September but I doubt my first impressions are wrong. It's going to suit this 68 year-old pretty well I think.

BTW, just noticed you're in south Fla.; wish I were. Until our dollar became worth pennies on yours we spent at least 10 days in Naples every February. Loved it, and hoping to resume at some point.
Old 08-25-19, 01:24 PM
FM1178

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by badger1
Cheers, mate. I'll probably update the end of September but I doubt my first impressions are wrong. It's going to suit this 68 year-old pretty well I think.

BTW, just noticed you're in south Fla.; wish I were. Until our dollar became worth pennies on yours we spent at least 10 days in Naples every February. Loved it, and hoping to resume at some point.

Hot and humid this time of year. Horrible thunderstorms every afternoon as well. Florida is great most of the year. Just not between June and September. I’m sure I will end up with the Sirrus X in the next month or so. Once again, appreciate your input my friend.
Old 08-26-19, 06:38 AM
RonE

Bikes: 2010 Giant Rapid - Trek 820 - 1968 Schwinn Continental

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
I have been strongly considering both the Sirrus X-Comp and the Toughroad SLR1. I have ridden the X-Comp and a Toughroad SLR2, but have not been able to find an SLR1 to test ride. I liked the way the X-Comp rode and the 1x drive train had plenty of gears. I did not like the Toughroad SLR2 near as much with its 3x drive train, but I would still like to try out the 2x on the SLR1.

I have no concerns about the 1x drive train in Florida. However, in hilly environs I might change my mind. On a recent trip to New Hampshire, I rode an old Jamis Durango mountain bike and was very glad for its numerous granny gears.

Has anyone heard of any planned changes for either the X-Comp or Toughroad SLR1 for 2020?
Old 08-26-19, 07:28 AM
FM1178

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by RonE
I have been strongly considering both the Sirrus X-Comp and the Toughroad SLR1. I have ridden the X-Comp and a Toughroad SLR2, but have not been able to find an SLR1 to test ride. I liked the way the X-Comp rode and the 1x drive train had plenty of gears. I did not like the Toughroad SLR2 near as much with its 3x drive train, but I would still like to try out the 2x on the SLR1.

I have no concerns about the 1x drive train in Florida. However, in hilly environs I might change my mind. On a recent trip to New Hampshire, I rode an old Jamis Durango mountain bike and was very glad for its numerous granny gears.

Has anyone heard of any planned changes for either the X-Comp or Toughroad SLR1 for 2020?
There have been several reports that the SLR1 is not coming to the US this year. You may be able to find a leftover SLR1 from last year but I seriously doubt that the 2020 SLR1 will make an appearance in the states. Not many bikes in the same category as the Toughroad. The Jamis Sequel....Kind of. Maybe some of our members can throw in some examples of similar hybrids with straight forks and wide tires. I’m hoping to pick up a Sirrus X and squeeze some wider tires in.
Old 08-26-19, 08:00 AM
badger1

Originally Posted by FM1178
There have been several reports that the SLR1 is not coming to the US this year. You may be able to find a leftover SLR1 from last year but I seriously doubt that the 2020 SLR1 will make an appearance in the states. Not many bikes in the same category as the Toughroad. The Jamis Sequel....Kind of. Maybe some of our members can throw in some examples of similar hybrids with straight forks and wide tires. I’m hoping to pick up a Sirrus X and squeeze some wider tires in.
Won't be able to check until later this week but the stock tires (38s) on the Sirrus X are close to reasonable capacity. You might be able to put a 40 or 42 in there, but clearance would be close. I'll take another glance at mine and report further.

BTW: another option might be to go to 650b rims/tires. Many 'gravel' bikes are now designed to switch between the two wheel sizes, the 650b option would allow for, say, up to a 47mm tire. Would want to check for b/b drop first, though, but otherwise the frameset will certainly allow that switch.
Old 08-30-19, 05:21 PM
badger1

Just to confirm:

1. if one buys the Sirrus X, one is stuck with a 1x drivetrain. There is no provision whatsoever for a fd; no fd cable port, no routing, no hanger. To that extent, the 'X' version is a different frame from that of the other current carbon Sirruses (Elite; Expert; Pro).

2. Tire clearance: as I thought, 38s (stock tire) fit perfectly fine, but there's not a lot of clearance beyond that. A 40 or 42 might be ok in the rear, and possibly in the front, but clearances will be getting pretty tight. Doesn't matter to me; I'll be dropping down to my preferred 32 in a few days, but I wouldn't be buying this bike with the idea of putting anything much more than a 38 on it.
Old 04-14-22, 09:17 PM
thinkapple

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If below is tl;dr, summary: a good, potentially great flat-bar road bike IF you are sure you want 1x. 'Too much information' version follows:

I have one, delivered in June. It was/is intended to replace my '10 Sirrus Comp, which has been a very solid ride for me since new -- although I did pretty much rebuild it to my liking after one season, which is my normal pattern.

Didn't really consider anything else when getting the Sirrus X. As with my '10, I bought the new one mainly for the frame/fork, geometry/fit, and (now) the Future Shock. The frameset is quality (paint is a little soft/easy to scuff, but I don't care about that), the fit is perfect for me (even better than my '10, because the frame reach has been extended a little for a given size), and the FS works as intended. Bike (M) is around 21 or so pounds w/pedals -- a little heavy for me, but I can live with it for now (more on that below).

The only 'gripe' I have is that the FS makes a slight 'click' sound when quickly/fully compressed. Doesn't appear to affect operation, but when I get back to the bike (away for the summer) I'll have it checked.

Other than that, it's all good. Drivetrain and brakes work well, the wheels are solid, tires fit for purpose. I did change the saddle and grips out before it left the shop, and had my XT pedals put on, but that's just personal preference.

I would give one strong caution: if you consider this bike, be sure that you want a 1x drivetrain. There is no provision at all for a front derailleur/cable etc. iirc, so you won't be able to convert it to 2x if you decide 1x isn't for you.

So far, my impressions of the bike (limited experience, but I'll be riding it lots more the next month or two) are entirely positive. That said, because it is my (bad!) habit, and because this will be my main bike for a good number of years, I'll be making the following changes this coming winter/off-season. In order of priority:

1. Wheelset: the stock ones are fine, but very heavy. I'll replace them with a good, solid aluminum wheelset in the 1500-1600 gram range.
2. Crankset: the stock one is fine, but very heavy. Again, I'll replace with something better/lighter and go to a 38-tooth chainring. I've no need for a 42x11 heavy gear.
3. Brakes: are 'fine', if a bit 'industrial' looking, but I don't like the long (3-finger style) lever. I'll replace them with flat-mount Ultegra calipers/Ice-Tech rotors mated to current XT levers.
4. Seat post: perfectly functional but again a bit 'industrial' looking. I'll replace with a good carbon one.
5. Tires: I'll be changing these to 32 or 35 high-quality road slicks. I don't need the 'cross' style stock tires for my cycling with this bike.

The above will imo improve the function and looks of the bike, and in the process drop it well into my preferred all-up weight range -- at or under 19 lbs. I can live with the NX shifter/derailleur for a couple of years, but long-term my plan is to change those as well, to electronic -- either XT shifter/derailleur or SRAM AXS (wireless).
Bringing up this old thread - but did you ever upgrade the brakes? If so, which ones?
Old 04-14-22, 09:34 PM
badger1

Originally Posted by thinkapple
Bringing up this old thread - but did you ever upgrade the brakes? If so, which ones?
Hah ... just happened to be on here when your post popped up!

Yes, I did ... just the past couple of weeks, in fact. I ordered a full XT (8100) brakeset in January of 2021; cue supply-chain issues etc. etc. Anyway, they finally arrived a month or so ago, and are now installed: XT 8100 levers/calipers (flat-mount version)/resin pads/MT800 rotors/hoses etc.

Only a few rides so far, and still bedding 'em in, but first impressions: fantastic. I'm glad I did this (expensive) upgrade.
Old 04-14-22, 10:46 PM
thinkapple

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hah ... just happened to be on here when your post popped up!

Yes, I did ... just the past couple of weeks, in fact. I ordered a full XT (8100) brakeset in January of 2021; cue supply-chain issues etc. etc. Anyway, they finally arrived a month or so ago, and are now installed: XT 8100 levers/calipers (flat-mount version)/resin pads/MT800 rotors/hoses etc.

Only a few rides so far, and still bedding 'em in, but first impressions: fantastic. I'm glad I did this (expensive) upgrade.
That is sweet. XT 8100 are a great set of brakes. Too many bikes right now so a buddy bought one but just the frame so putting some parts off that bike on the sirrus x. Hoping to put a set of magura on but it is a post mount so playing with some adapters. Guess I can always sell the brakes but they are somewhat new and so sweet.