Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Safety gear for your commute

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Old 08-01-19, 02:25 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
Surprisingly, after 17 posts, no one has mentioned a rearview mirror.
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
Jim, I considered a mirror for my list, but thought about my own experience with mirrors. I have them on half of my bikes (commuter and utility/touring bikes), and even on one fast road bike.

In practice, I rarely refer to it. And in those cases, I could easily swivel my head to take a look, which is what I usually do. This is where hearing must be unimpeded, no podcasts, no music, no distractions.

You need to combine alert hearing with taking a look to make sure that your left side is safe for taking the lane, making a left turn across traffic, or passing wide of an obstacle.

But the mirror is probably a good call. Phil
Thanks for your personal reply, Phil. To each is own, and I’m glad you didn’t discourage the use of a mirror, though you did seemingly come down on listening devices.

Not to be contrarian, I have posted about both practices.
Thanks for your reply, @Jerrys88. When I was hit from behind, it was on a wide, low-volume, well-lit residential road at about 9 PM in June, by a “distracted driver.”

The route was so calm that I was not closely monitoring my rearward view. In fact, though perhaps I could have ditched the bike, I’m glad I didn’t see it coming if I was going to get hit anyways [PTSD].

I once read a comment that one should practice doing "bunny hops" so at least you could jump a curb if present on your right.

Obviously that’s the ultimate use of a mirror, and now I monitor rearwards more frequently. So hopefully being aware of the situation behind, even when not in immediate danger, allows the rider to avoid a dangerous situation, even by pulling off the road. And other than my accident, I’ve never had the need to bail out.

IMO, besides routine monitoring rearwards with the mirror, a most important use is to make quick decisions when encountering an obstacle in front of you, such as a car door, pothole, car entering your path, etc. Can you immediately veer left?

Mirror threads are often popcorn threads, and I’m always dismayed when subscribers blithely write, often directed towards newbies, that you don’t need a mirror and it doesn’t help anyways. Why discourage such a simple piece of equipment?

I’ve tried to think of the dangersof a mirror, and the best I’ve come up with is poking your eye with an eyeglass or helmet mounted mirror; or being too distracted by it, for example if you can’t really get used to it.

Personally, I use an eyeglass mounted Take-a-Look mirror that allows me to maintain a forward-looking head position with just a sideward glance to see the rear.

I really don’t want to turn my head for an over shoulder glance away from the line of travel when speeding downhill on a pothole-strewn road with heavy traffic to my left and parked cars to my right. Furthermore, wind noise can sometimes obscure the sound of a passing car.

I find mirrors so easy to use, and so helpful that I wear both right and left (link).
I also listen
Originally Posted by Riveting
I listen to music or talk radio 100% of the time when I'm riding solo, whether it's a commute, or just a ride, and never listen if there's anyone else with me.

Single ear bud, in the curb-side ear, so I can hear traffic with the other ear.
My usual practice too; music usually on the weekends when no good talk shows, other than repeats are on (not financial or gardening ).I don't listen when riding with others.

I wear loosely fitted over the ear phones since I can't keep ear buds in the ear, and I hear just fine, besides close monitoring with my both right and left rear view mirrors. (link)..
Originally Posted by BobbyG
I also listen to spoken word podcasts at a low volume in my curbside ear. I can hear traffic fine. On the rides I don't listen, or if I don't like the podcast and pull the earbud out I don't feel I gain any extra situational awareness.

My guess would be that picking one horn out of the Manhattan cacophony of horns, and echoes off the buildings, would be daunting in and of its self.

Whats more, I feel that when listening to spoken word podcasts in my curbside ear at a low volume, I can hear traffic better than when I'm in my car with the windows up with no music or podcasts.

However, it's been my experience that when a music clip is played, even in one ear, I start to loose my situational awareness. I think it has something to do with the way the human brain works....
Originally Posted by PaulRivers
...I feel safer wearing headphones than not, because my brain sometimes it can rely on my hearing to hear cars behind me, when the only thing that's actually affective is to actually look.

Wearing headphones makes my brain realize that I'd better look - which is far far safer than hoping a car passing me is making enough noise to hear it.

You can't rely on your ears for knowing what's behind you, you have to look.
Well said, @PaulRivers. I agree that a controllable external auditory source can help to focus on the task at hand, rather than distract.

For myself, I work at preparing reports depending on careful detailed analyses, and I always have a talk show on. It definitely focuses me, even though I don't pay much attention; it's more a background awareness.

It seems to fill in my mind in addition to the current purposeful activity so my concentration has no other place to wander.

In fact, if there is no ambient “distraction,” the silence is deafening (and I don't have to worry about a car plowing into my desk).

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 08-01-19 at 02:44 PM.
Old 08-02-19, 07:07 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1362 Post(s)
Liked 1,674 Times in 827 Posts
@Jim from Boston Thanks for the quote!

I want to add "horn" to the list. I've been riding with an Airzound Airhorn for 25 years and being able to call attention to one's self in traffic really helps. I have one on each bike. On my main commuter it is just under my pinkie. On my winter MTB it is just under my thumb. On my old road bike it is under mythumb when riding on the uppers, which is where my hands are in traffic usually. on that bike.

You pump it up with your bike pump.

https://deltacycle.com/airzound-horn

Old 08-02-19, 09:24 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7341 Post(s)
Liked 2,440 Times in 1,424 Posts
helmet
gloves
rearview mirror
headlight always on
flashing taillight always on
spoke light on at night
lit-up ankle band at night
reflectors on spokes
reflective tape on pedals

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 08-02-19, 04:39 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1531 Post(s)
Liked 1,527 Times in 915 Posts
As others have said, first and foremost is my attention. And my mirror, helmet, gloves, good lights, and high viz t-shirts.
Old 08-02-19, 09:28 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1480 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
Don't forget the dog or pepper spray.
Old 08-02-19, 10:26 PM
Jim from Boston

@Jim from Boston Thanks for the quote!

I want to add "horn" to the list. I've been riding with an Airzound Airhorn for 25 years and being able to call attention to one's self in traffic really helps. I have one on each bike.

On my main commuter it is just under my pinkie. On my winter MTB it is just under my thumb. On my old road bike it is under mythumb when riding on the uppers, which is where my hands are in traffic usually. on that bike.

You pump it up with your bike pump.
Hi @BobbyG, thanks for the nod. I have in the past cosidered using an Airzound horn, and I replied to this thread, "how do you alert your presence to other pedestrians/cyclists/motorists":
Bell for pedestrians and bikes, Airzound Airhorn if they don't respond. Airzound for mototists.
Originally Posted by ItsJustMe
I've honestly never had to alert a pedestrian or cyclist of anything. I can go months without even seeing another cyclist, even in the summer.

Cars, well, airzound, but I only ever have use of it maybe 4 times a year, and about half the time I'm just basically yelling at them for having run me into the median (oncoming cars passing in my lane, for instance) so it doesn't actually do any good.

Sometimes someone's about to pull out of a parking spot though and the airzound has always stopped them.
For those who use airhorns, in a sudden situation such as car door opening, are you able to react quickly enough to reach and pull the trigger?

An air horn would seem to be more appropriate as an acoustic "middle finger" to motorists who honk or in other ways offend...
“Catching people at stoplight after they aggravate you”

I think that airzounds could be a really great response to a cager since it would be so unexpected, compared to insults and obscenities.

It would be really cool if it came in obnoxious sounds, like flatulence, or "rasberries." I have seen such noise makers in joke shops, but I wonder if they would be loud enough. Pthftttt.
When it comes to unexpected opening car doors:
I frequently post this basic rule for me, Consider every stopped car like a weapon, loaded, with an occupant ready to exit, on either side." For example I think about that when filtering between cars stopped at a traffic light.

When I have had doors opened directly before me, I have found a scream causes the person to immediately retract back into the car like a turtle into its shell.

For a real vicarious thrill of dooring, see the link below, outside of this quote box.
video

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 08-03-19 at 05:36 AM.
Old 08-04-19, 10:59 AM
davelloyd

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride with a bright yellow fluorescent colored helmet as well as rear blinking lights. I think a fluorescent colored shirt would be visible a long way.
Old 08-04-19, 07:08 PM
farmerjg

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
I add an extra blinking light to my helmet. When I turn my head around to stare down cars I feel like the herky motion of the helmet light grabs attention.
Old 08-04-19, 07:23 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1954 Post(s)
Liked 3,657 Times in 1,677 Posts
Dynamo hub and lights, glasses mounted rear view mirror and plenty of caution.
Old 08-05-19, 09:15 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2594 Post(s)
Liked 1,922 Times in 1,206 Posts
Originally Posted by Daniel4
Don't forget the dog or pepper spray.
On a commute ride?? I thought dogs were supposed to be worse down here than Canada, but the dog I easily outran (after shouting at it) this morning was the first I've had chase me in town for a couple years.
Old 08-05-19, 09:38 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7341 Post(s)
Liked 2,440 Times in 1,424 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
On a commute ride?? I thought dogs were supposed to be worse down here than Canada, but the dog I easily outran (after shouting at it) this morning was the first I've had chase me in town for a couple years.
I've heard they're bad in Georgia.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Likes For noglider:
Old 08-05-19, 11:16 AM
pdlamb

Way OT. The worst dogs I've seen were out in the country in Kentucky. Of course, one of the best parts was outrunning six hound dogs from at least three houses. Helped I had 60 pounds in panniers and was going downhill... By the time they came off their respective porches and got into a pack on the road, I was 20 yards ahead of 'em and widening the gap.
Old 08-27-19, 01:08 AM
Manu431

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by mecheic
Well I follow these precautions

Wear a Bike Helmet Properly

Improve your Road Visibility

Learn how to Give Proper Biking Hand Signals

Follow The Rules of the Road
  • When you bike, you are not a pedestrian. You treat yourself as a car, and should follow the rules of the road. This means:
  • you stop at stop signs, and wait your turn
  • you stop at stop lights
  • you stay in the road
  • be patient and maintain your composure
Wear Clothing to Make your Ride Comfortable

Map Out your Bike Route

The Bike to Work Hygiene Thing
exactly.

I try to use as much a bike lane as possible.
I strictly respect stop lights etc..
I wear an helmet ALL THE TIME.
Old 08-30-19, 09:39 PM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
My commute bikes all have headlights and taillights always on, and reflectors. I wear a helmet with mirror attached. I wear reflective ankle bands and usually a reflective vest or jacket.

And of course I try to be aware.

But my main strategy is to beat the rush. There's almost no one on the roads when ride to catch a train that leaves at 5:10 AM. The roads are busy when I get home, which is hard to avoid, but at least they're light most of the year.
Old 09-02-19, 05:58 PM
bikehoco

Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 53 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
- No flapping pants legs.
Why does this matter?
Old 09-03-19, 07:04 AM
pdlamb

Long pants can get caught under the chain on the cogs in the front (unless you've got an old-fashioned chain guard and only one ring on the front). When you suddenly can't pedal, it can cause you to lose control and fall over.
Old 09-04-19, 08:30 AM
Stadjer

Bikes: Gazelle rod brakes, Batavus compact, Peugeot hybrid

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 5989 Post(s)
Liked 954 Times in 728 Posts
I ride a so called 'safety bicycle'.
Old 09-04-19, 09:13 AM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 459 Times in 361 Posts
Dynamo lights that are always on, fenders, bell, helmet, gloves, keep it all tuned. I stayed on bike lanes as much as I could, about 9 of a 10 mile commute, some shared some separated, and used a lot of caution. I only would ride fast when there were no intersections, such as the stretch in Prospect Park or the Manhattan Bridge. I didn't take any chances, stopped at all lights, but would one foot it through if nobody was coming. I also used a lot of "YOs" too many people looking down at their phones or looking the wrong way.

Now that I've retired I don't commute anymore, but I did a ride yesterday that took me on my regular commute but I was on my road bike instead of my commuter. I think I rode slower on the roadie than I would normally for a few reasons. One, I'm clipped in, two, no bell on the roadie (although I may buy an easy on/off one since I'll be riding a lot more on it) three, I can accelerate a lot quicker on the roadie and had to hold back. At least both of my bikes have good brakes.
Old 09-04-19, 09:51 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
My number one safety suggestion, by far, is "Don't make mistakes". "Pay attention" is at or near the top of not making mistakes. That's not safety gear - not what you asked - but it would be remiss to recommend gear when the top rule is orders of magnitude more important.

Tail light and reflectors, headlight if you might ride in the evening or night. That's about it really, for anything that actually does much to improve our safety. Some will include helmet and gloves as necessities, and they will help in the event of a crash, but for commuting, for me, entirely optional.
Old 09-04-19, 10:57 AM
Jim from Boston

Originally Posted by wphamilton
My number one safety suggestion, by far, is "Don't make mistakes". "Pay attention" is at or near the top of not making mistakes. That's not safety gear - not what you asked - but it would be remiss to recommend gear when the top rule is orders of magnitude more important.
Originally Posted by caloso
I wear a helmet and use a blinkie. But the most important safety precaution is to anticipate.
On these perennial threads about cycle-commuting safety, as well as cycling safety in general I have frequently posted as a decades-long lifestyle cyclist, including year round cycle commuting. This my approach to inculcate anticipation in my cycling:...
Agree to above but if making a comprehensive statement about the least, but most important, “can’t live without” safety gear, I must add (IMHO):
Originally Posted by wphamilton
Tail light and reflectors, headlight if you might ride in the evening or night. That's about it really, for anything that actually does much to improve our safety. Some will include helmet and gloves as necessities, and they will help in the event of a crash, but for commuting, for me, entirely optional.
Surprisingly, after 17 posts, no one has mentioned a rearview mirror.
After 44 posts there were three more recommendations for a rearview mirror.
Originally Posted by chefisaac
LISTEN to @Jim from Boston

he knows his $hit!

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 09-05-19 at 02:20 AM.