Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

What have you been wrenching on lately?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

What have you been wrenching on lately?

Old 09-06-16, 09:02 PM
CoRide59

Bikes: 1992 De Rosa SLX, 1992 Specialized Epic, Late 60's Bottecchia Proffessional, 1998 Stumpjumper M2, 1992 Stumpjumper M2 (in a box)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've been pretty busy lately.

First I built up this Stumpjumper M2 based hybrid/city bike. I wanted something to ride when out with my wife (who follows the pedal pedal coast riding plan). I'm not sure its what I want, I'm thinking a more traditional setup would be nicer but I had a bunch of mountain bike stuff around and got a good deal on the frame so here it is. It rides nice but a little harsh (no big surprise there, it is after all an M2) and is pretty fast, but I'm thinking something old and English would be nice.

Just as I was finishing the Stumjpjumper, this came into my life. I wasn't really looking for a De Rosa but I have wanted one for a really long time. This came up at a decent price, and I had some spare bicycle cash, so I went for it. Probably the best impulse purchase I've ever made.

As received.

And after a few changes and adjustments. Saddle, bars, stem, have been changed and later this week the seat post will be too. All just to things I prefer and need for a better fit.

Next up will be rebuilding my old Bottecchia. I've been doing some cleanup and polishing and am thinking about some paint touch-up. I haven't been able to decide if I should or not. I'll be riding it, but not all that much, and I'm thinking I might just leave it as is. I've had this bike since 1973 and from then until the early 90's it was my main (often only) bike. Lots of miles and lots of fun and it is as it was so I'm considering just leaving it alone.

I have a box of Nuovo Record stuff for it, and some rims waiting to be turned into wheels. This will be my winter project, along with a full disassemble clean and lube of the De Rosa.

Old 09-06-16, 09:58 PM
gaucho777 

Bikes: '72 Cilo Pacer, '72 Gitane Gran Tourisme, '72 Peugeot PX10, '73 Speedwell Ti, '74 Peugeot UE-8, '75 Peugeot PR-10L, '80 Colnago Super, '85 De Rosa Pro, '86 Look Equipe 753, '86 Look KG86, '89 Parkpre Team, '90 Parkpre Team MTB, '90 Merlin

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 826 Post(s)
Liked 2,048 Times in 545 Posts
Two bikes for my daughter: a cool vintage mixte and a MTB. I came to realize that the mixte--handmade 531 with filed lugs and Campy parts & dropouts--is a bit too precious for her to (ab)use on a daily basis and leave, hopefully locked, at school. Thus, I bought a small Trek MTB on CL for $40. This weekend I tore everything down to the bare frame and rebuild it with some upgrades from the bin. Now she won't have to suffer the unbearable humiliation of getting towed to 3rd grade on a trail-a-bike.

Also just about finished with a '90 Merlin project I've been slowly working on for a while.It's basically done. Applied the decals today. Hopefully a shakedown ride and photos tomorrow.
Old 09-07-16, 12:47 AM
mikemowbz

Bikes: Are several.

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 21 Posts
Apologies if this constitutes cross-posting (I just started a thread with a hint of background and this same pic), but the answer to the question in the threads title is THIS!:

DSC00742.jpg

Picked up in WA state this afternoon, built to current state this evening.

Headset to be pressed in tomorrow or Thursday to facilitate riding by the coming weekend.

It helps having parts on hand!
Old 09-07-16, 11:30 AM
dweenk

Bikes: Lots of English 3-speeds, a couple of old road bikes, 3 mountain bikes, 1 hybrid, and a couple of mash-ups

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 335 Times in 225 Posts

I've had this Trek for several months and had not gotten around to doing anything with it until now. It still needs a complete bearing service, but I wanted to see if it was a keeper before I start that. I may need a longer stem, but right now it isn't bad.
Old 09-07-16, 05:31 PM
otg 

Bikes: I've lost my mind!

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've been slowly converting a Schwinn Tempo that I picked as a bare frame to 650b. Still need tires and pedals, but getting close. I'd like to get this one on the road by October.
Old 09-11-16, 08:55 AM
rootboy 

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 556 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 78 Posts
I think I need a smaller wrench

Old 09-11-16, 08:57 AM
rootboy 

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 556 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 78 Posts
Actually, this. See the wrench? Not exactly bike related. But one could do drilled chain rings on this vintage Craftsman rotary table, if one so desired. I had been struggling with getting that worm gear set working properly, but think I got it.

Old 09-12-16, 12:37 AM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Quoted: 1553 Post(s)
Liked 2,005 Times in 984 Posts
I am usually wrenching on one of or multiple bikes of mine every day--not as a point of pride/"look at me", but with many steeds comes much tending-to. Haven't gotten tired of it yet!

The big item for today was completing my re-building up of my '85 Schwinn Peloton. She (Penny) has been a groupset gypsy since I saved her from fixed gear life. 1050-era 105 (bought only as frame and fork), 7400 DA, 7800/7400 DA (10s DT shift), Campy Record/Chorus mix of which she was not a fan, and now 7700 with 7800 derailleurs. A good bit pilfered from my Cannondale, which is supplying her and another (secret!) bike with some parts (7700 STIs are a separate purchase).

After trying out the old school drop bar look and STI positioning, test riding it and finding it no bueno, I did the complete stem+bar swap from my Cannondale (quill-to 1 1/8" converter, stem, 31.8mm compact drop bars) and all is well in the universe. She has her Vueltas back, which she really missed, and is now, at a 25" frame size with pedals, just a touch under 21 lbs. All that to say, she. is. back. We've missed each other.

Snapped pictures of two bikes I am putting up for sale while doing final checks to make sure they are doubly safe and ready to go. Gotta make room. Many bikes in a 500 sq. ft. apartment unit is a bit cozy. But since I am way into bikes and very single, it's just this side of sustainable.

Earlier in the week, my Ross was redone for winter duty. After the initial full metal fender mounting, she was a bit rattly and buzzy. Revamped half of the mounting methods (rubber and vibration-quelling material!) and it's nice and tight. She got Penny's Campy stuff and is relishing it. Looking very nice as well. As much as I do not want rain any sooner than necessary, I look forward to riding an excellent rain bike.

The Super Sport is nearly dialed--had her topped out down a hill. Rock solid. She also does not take any guff from the road. Stable while punching back at the asphalt. Built to hunt (carbon bikes, haha). And a looker too. The pictures show an unforgiving Fizik saddle (will be selling!), but she has a B17 now. Pictures also do not do the intensity of her black components (and their contrast) justice. Superbe Pro levers (unsprung) and hidden-spring calipers are delightful and very powerful.

Old 09-12-16, 03:40 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1370 Post(s)
Liked 1,743 Times in 934 Posts
Until yesterday, I was wrenching on this old Torpado. Today I am riding it...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Frame_1.jpg (101.8 KB, 653 views)
TB_Full_Side_2.jpg (99.5 KB, 654 views)
TB_Drive_2.jpg (103.5 KB, 647 views)
Old 09-12-16, 10:29 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 510 Post(s)
Quoted: 7287 Post(s)
Liked 2,362 Times in 1,381 Posts
I couldn't find the 105 rear hub I stashed somewhere. I wanted it to build a new rear wheel for my Raleigh International so I could update the drivetrain to 3x8. But I found a racing wheel I had forgotten about. It's a Bontrager wheel with only 24 spokes. It's not as robust as I was planning, but I'll try it and see how it goes. If it fails, I'll buy or build a wheel with more spokes.

I still need the crank fixing bolt and maybe a few other bits and pieces. And I need to spread the frame to accommodate the wider rear hub. I have dropout straightener tools, and I'll use them after spreading the frame.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 09-12-16, 04:27 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4493 Post(s)
Liked 6,297 Times in 3,632 Posts
Originally Posted by randyjawa
Until yesterday, I was wrenching on this old Torpado. Today I am riding it...
Holy freakin crap! That is awesome, well done!
Old 09-12-16, 07:52 PM
Bikedued

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 60 Posts
Man, I need to get back on my Raleigh drum brake three speed bike. Someone gave me a set of 700 wheels with drum brakes front AND rear, and a three speed SA. I mounted tires and put them in the frame, but I stalled on handlebar choice. It promises to be an interesting combo. It's a 71ish Super Course frame with the Nervex lugs.,,,,BD
Old 09-18-16, 11:51 PM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Streamlining my fleet to four bikes from...around ten, is taking a bit as 25" frames for sale on the wrong side of cycling season means they will be with me for a while longer.

In the streamlining effort, I took a good look and thought at things I wanted to keep as they relate to beauty, frame material, and how they ride. The Peloton has been a revelation, and is now firmly my top bike, blowing my very good Cannondale out of the water. It's a bit magic as many of the crucial components and setup are the same, it's simply a different frame material. The Peloton was fast before, if a bit jittery, and now all is sublime. That bike was the catalyst for the decision to downsize. The 66cm C'dale frameset will be for sale on CL soon...

The Ross stays, of course, with her Chorus/Record/other mix.

I really enjoy the 531, but was tired of 9s Veloce on it. And with the SS being a bit harsh in that setup, where my Fuji in similar guise is not, it was time to combine a beautiful and comfortable frame with 10s DT Dura Ace and Suntour SP brake levers and calipers. I am nearly done with it today as I've been going at it over a few days here and there, and the results are very pleasing. I picked up a 10s Record cassette (in he-man 11-23 size) for super cheap and have confirmed that my 10s DA shifters shift it 100% fine. I now need to find a lockring for an 11T high gear as I am using one for a 13T+ and the chain sits up on it making things a no go. I like the last-gen alloy Record/Open Pro wheels and wanted to keep them as long as possible.

My 4th bike is the last to build up, and getting 10s 7800 DA. Did some component fitment last night and that is going well. Will then fully clean, wax, and touch up the frameset and build up. We're winding down on the dry and warm days, so my three dry day bikes will have to find their time in pockets.
Old 09-19-16, 09:09 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

A friend of mine has been commuting on an old run-down MTB that is too small for him. He mentioned it "broke" and he's without a bike now. I told him I could fix it for him without asking him what "broke" means. He said it's not worth it, because it was always too small for him, and I realize that he's right. Whether the bike is worth fixing or not, it's not worth fixing for him.

Someone left an English 3-speed in the basement of my apartment building long ago. I asked, and no one claims to own it, so I took it and fixed it up. It had been decades since anyone had so much as rolled it along the floor, so it was really stiff. I aired up the tires and applied oil everywhere, and it's good again. There is some rust, but this will be a beater bike, so it's not worth fixing up. There was a lot of dust and grime on it, but it washed off easily.

I can't tell what year bike it is. The rear wheel has been replaced with a wheel that has a SunTour 3-speed hub. I know this hub. It's an exact copy of the Sturmey Archer AW hub, but it has no date code or oil port. I took the indicator chain out and dropped oil in there.

The bike has also had its left crank replaced and its brake pads and obviously the saddle. The seat post moves, and I raised it an inch for myself. It will go higher for my friend who is taller than I am. I couldn't find a proper hammer, so I wasn't able to give the stem expander bolt a proper blow. I wasn't able to free the wedge in the stem and move the stem, but it might not be stuck once it is met with a hammer. The bolt does turn in the stem. I'm leaving it as is for now.

The tires have no dry rot!

I took it for a 2.6-mile ride around the neighborhood. I want to get rid of the rattle from the little ornament on the front of the front fender. Plus there is a click each time the master link comes around the rear cog, so there may be some alignment problem. Maybe the master link is banging on the chainguard.

Ideally, I will overhaul the BB, front hub, and headset. But I'm not sure I will. The front hub is very rough and may not last much longer, but then again, betting against the Raleigh's longevity isn't necessarily a good idea.

Can anyone guess what year this is?

Please remind me: which side does the adjustable cone of the front hub go on?

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Old 09-19-16, 09:26 AM
BigChief 

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 85 Posts
Adjustable cone on left. That's a nice Sports. You have a lucky friend.
Old 09-19-16, 10:04 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Yeah, it's nice. The gearing is super high, which is common for these bikes. It's been a while for me since I've ridden one with stock gearing. Then again, since the rear wheel has been replaced, the cog might be even smaller than original.

I took care to ride it differently than I usually ride. I didn't try to spin. Easy does it. I got the hang of it, but I'm not sure I can keep it up.

Old 09-19-16, 12:33 PM
BigChief 

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 85 Posts
It's been a while since I've ridden one of these. Saw it at a yard sale back sometime in the early 80s and couldn't pass it up. Been hanging on the wall in my barn ever since. I figured it was about time to get it up on the rack and clean it up. At least till I find another needy DL-1. What a tank. I don't think I'll be riding it anywhere much. I'll say this for it though. Cleaning up the bottom bracket is a 10 minute job. No idea what I'm going to do with it. Hang it back up in the barn I guess.
Old 09-20-16, 07:05 AM
JohnFromMi.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
These 3 bikes I did in the last month. 1973 Schwinn Collegiate-Sunset Orange. 1974 Schwinn Collegiate-Kool Lemon. Just finished this 1969 Schwinn Collegiate/Deluxe-Sky Blue the other day. Going to put some white walls on it. *Update- with the new tires*
Attached Images
20160911_193059-1.jpg (97.7 KB, 552 views)
20160918_115024-1.jpg (98.9 KB, 549 views)
20160923_092239-1.jpg (97.1 KB, 468 views)
20160923_092328-1.jpg (98.2 KB, 471 views)
20160923_092152-1.jpg (97.7 KB, 471 views)

Last edited by JohnFromMi.; 09-26-16 at 11:34 AM.
Old 09-20-16, 08:06 AM
forresterace
Senior Cyclist

Bikes: 1990 Norco Bushpilot shopping bike, 1988 Fiori Italia, 1990 Fiori Firenze)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts
This is my latest project - 1990 Fiori Firenze. Finished two days ago.

Doug
Likes For forresterace:
Old 09-20-16, 12:00 PM
Pogliaghi

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 21 Posts
I picked this one up last Sunday. Pretty sure it is a Follis 572 as it is finished nicely with reinforcement fork tangs, reinforcement on the brake bridge, no fender eyelets and holes in the BB shell. It is pretty much assembled but I have been going through things and tightening parts which had been attached loosely. The frame originally belonged to a fairly well known collector in the NY area, he got it as nos so it is original paint and original decals except for a fork decal which is the "English" 531 decal instead of the French version.
Old 09-24-16, 01:48 PM
Steve Whitlatch 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 35 Posts
Built up this Trek 700 frame set that I got from wrk101. Sweet bike but it will be listed on Craigslist as my wife is complaining about all the bikes I just got. He had just shipped this frame to me the day before my PX 10 frame set followed me home off of craigslist. Then I came across a Cannondale ST 1000 dirt cheap.

Old 09-25-16, 01:04 AM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

I love the 6207/6208 cranks. Absolutely timeless!

Today I finally completed the build of my mystery bike--a 1985 Bridgestone 400 in the very un-small 27" frame size, with a full complement of 7800 DA with 180mm 7400 cranks. I finally grew up a little and put 700x32 tires on a bike instead of the mostly 23c and 25c stuff I find for cheap. 32s were needed for this build as the bike is very large with larger clearances. I have had great experience with Bontrager Racelite Hardcases in 23c form, so I snagged some in 32c trim and they are fast rollers and supremely comfortable. The B17 saddle doesn't hurt either! The test ride was wonderful. Impossibly smooth bike with a quiet liveliness out of the saddle. The super long cranks let you just churn along in or out of the saddle. What a big fun and friendly bike--rapid, too. I'm going to enjoy it. And enjoy some indoor grain-tastic iPhone 4 photos.

Old 09-25-16, 12:12 PM
crank_addict
Banned

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1361 Post(s)
Liked 422 Times in 282 Posts
You guys with all them modern bikey's.........

Worked late last night on some overdue vehicle maintenance. Then pulled the bottom bracket cartridge bearings out of the vey-count. Over 'tired' or probably had one too many after a failed attempt installing an auto wheel from 1907 on it. cheer's

[IMG]DSC_1066 by carrera247, on Flickr[/IMG]
Old 09-25-16, 12:24 PM
Steve Whitlatch 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by crank_addict
You guys with all them modern bikey's.........

Worked late last night on some overdue vehicle maintenance. Then pulled the bottom bracket cartridge bearings out of the vey-count. Over 'tired' or probably had one too many after a failed attempt installing an auto wheel from 1907 on it. cheer's

[IMG]DSC_1066 by carrera247, on Flickr[/IMG]
LOL. With a bit of modification you would have done it. Maybe when you are not so tired?
Old 09-25-16, 12:41 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,407 Times in 908 Posts
Very similar to my '59.

I really need one of those racks. I'm going with a dog-carry basket on the front.

Originally Posted by noglider

Can anyone guess what year this is?

Please remind me: which side does the adjustable cone of the front hub go on?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.