Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

'Urban Grinder' build

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

'Urban Grinder' build

Old 10-29-18, 02:14 AM
acidfast7
Banned

Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid / 2013 Mango FGSS

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by medic75
Okay acidfast7, we get it, you don't like drop bars for commuting. That doesn't mean that the rest of us who do like them and use them are wrong. Amazingly, you posted that urban bikes don't have drop bars, but then posted a picture of one, maintaining that they have been around for years. The problem is labels vs uses. Urban & commuter bikes don't have drop bars, but bikes that work well for urban and commuting uses may have drop bars. My adventure/gravel bike is exactly that, but 90% of its use is urban & commuting and it works very well.

I am of the opinion that any bike with used for urban / commuting use needs to have the ability to operate the derailleurs and brakes without requiring the rider to change their hand position. Does that mean that you are wrong by suggesting or liking bar end shifters? No, it only means that you have different preferences and priorities than I do. Additionally, I would never ride a fixie by choice, but I realize and accept that many people intentionally make the choice to ride them.
1. Never said that you're "wrong" to like them.
2. I posted a Audax/Randonneur bicycle, which is anything but an urban bicycle per se. This comment was in response to the OP doing something new/interesting. My commentary was that the OP's suggestion is neither new nor interesting.
3. Shifting is essentially irrelevant in heavily urbanised areas, which is why most urban bike have been traditionally three-speed at a maximum.
4. I ride a fixie out of novelty and that I don't have enough storage for even a single bike, nevermind more than a single bike, which is the case for most people in heavily urbanised areas. Thus, I will use it until it is stolen/damaged beyond repair.
Old 10-29-18, 02:47 AM
acidfast7
Banned

I should also quickly point out that my claim above for #2 and the intended use of that particular genre of bicycles (Audax/Randonneur) also supports the claim that the OPs suggestions for an urban bike are slightly misguided. In the end, I'm just psychologically interested in why Americans and Brits (and thus would assume Aussies and Kiwis) are so fascinated with drops when they are quite poor for visibility in heavily urbanised environments compared to every other country on the planet. It's probably the breakdown of the language in the end like most other things (road bike vs. rennrad/sportrad (race/sport bike.) Maybe it's the aggressive nature of English-speakers these days, where everything is a competition?
Old 10-29-18, 08:25 AM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
Not to encourage hijacking this thread further, 1.5 billion people speak English, making it the most widely spoken language in the world. Now instead of just ranting against Americans, you are up against 20 percent of the world’s population.
Old 10-29-18, 08:59 AM
srestrepo

Bikes: 2016 Felt Z85 105, 2016 GT Grade Sora

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Keiffith
The responses in this thread are why the 'cycling' community has earned its reputation.

I named my bike what i wanted to name it. '650b 47c, dropper post, disc brake, Ti road bike' is too long, so i named it what i believe the stack of components will be best for my style of riding and where im riding it.

as long as you show us the bike that you can clearly see some of us are extremely excited for (myself included) who gives a shizzle what' it's called. if you build it and ride it and called it a bike, someone would invariably say it's gravel bike designed for road use with relaxed geometry or whatever the hell parameters they apply...

screw it. build the bike, ride the bike, get it dirty, then show us pictures. i personally can't wait.
Old 10-29-18, 09:18 AM
acidfast7
Banned

Originally Posted by alan s
Not to encourage hijacking this thread further, 1.5 billion people speak English, making it the most widely spoken language in the world. Now instead of just ranting against Americans, you are up against 20 percent of the world’s population.
Lots of incorrect information in this thread; bicycles and otherwise. I guess it's not always obvious who is, and usually speaks, nonsense. Unless you consider learning and speaking similar, which as a polyglot I disagree with. English is my mother tongue though.

Old 10-29-18, 09:58 AM
alan s 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List...er_of_speakers

English is at the top of the list. #Endhijack.
Old 10-29-18, 10:09 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7341 Post(s)
Liked 2,441 Times in 1,425 Posts
That chart of languages doesn't depict all the English spoken in India and the Philippines where it is the official language. It's not native to folks there, but many do speak it.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 10-29-18, 10:24 AM
acidfast7
Banned

Originally Posted by alan s
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List...er_of_speakers

English is at the top of the list. #Endhijack.
Nope.

https://ur.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D9%81...B1%DB%8C%D9%86

Do you only provide evidence that supports your hypothesis?
Old 10-29-18, 10:43 AM
acidfast7
Banned

Originally Posted by noglider
That chart of languages doesn't depict all the English spoken in India and the Philippines where it is the official language. It's not native to folks there, but many do speak it.
There are three figures on that chart.

Figure 1 is mother tongue.
Figure 2 is countries.
Figure 3 is learning.

One can argue about polylingual people.
Old 10-29-18, 11:55 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Originally Posted by acidfast7
There are three figures on that chart.

Figure 1 is mother tongue.
Figure 2 is countries.
Figure 3 is learning.

One can argue about polylingual people.
Arguing about polylingual people is a bit nonsensical, because poly- is Greek, and -lingual is Latin. I think you meant multilingual.

Ba-dum-bum.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Old 10-29-18, 12:37 PM
alan s 

Arguing about polylingual people is a bit nonsensical, because poly- is Greek, and -lingual is Latin. I think you meant multilingual.

Ba-dum-bum.
Looks like he is still learning.
Old 10-29-18, 01:21 PM
medic75

Bikes: '19 Trek Stache 5, '17 DB Hannjo Trail, '09 Scott CR1 Pro, Schwinn Central commuter, '16 DB El Oso

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 29 Posts
I give up.

OP, build your bike and enjoy it. I look forward to seeing it.
Old 10-29-18, 01:31 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Grinding Wheat, pepper, coffee. organs (music or sausage) or euphemistically.. gravel ??
Old 10-29-18, 01:37 PM
acidfast7
Banned

Ba-dum-bum.
https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/polylingual

Hybrid words are common, even in English.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hybrid_word

Television is one of the most common, even though I haven't acquired one.
Old 10-29-18, 03:51 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

As always, @acidfast7, you are right. You are always right. Always.

Old 10-30-18, 12:50 AM
acidfast7
Banned

If that's how you want to play it, that's fine.

I just want to see more than a damn set of brifters from the OP.
Old 10-30-18, 05:40 AM
medic75

Bikes: '19 Trek Stache 5, '17 DB Hannjo Trail, '09 Scott CR1 Pro, Schwinn Central commuter, '16 DB El Oso

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 29 Posts
They maybe you should have said that. If that would have been your initial post, we could have avoided all of this. Instead, you replied, telling the OP that you didn't agree with the parts he was going to use because they didn't conform to your idea of what can be used as an urban bike.

Oh, and BTW, I like how you ignored my comment about my belief that the rider's hands should have access to the brake levers from any hand position being used and turned it into a shifter only thing in an attempt to delegitimize my statement. I'm guessing you believe that urban bikes use coaster brakes. Finally, back to my original argument, you continue to say that touring, gravel, and adventure bikes are nothing new and ask where the revolution is. You also say that they aren't and never have been urban use bikes. The revolution is that people are now using these bikes for urban and commuting use. Touring bike make great commuters, and for some they are preferred to actual commuter style bikes.
Old 10-30-18, 08:02 AM
acidfast7
Banned

Originally Posted by medic75
They maybe you should have said that. If that would have been your initial post, we could have avoided all of this. Instead, you replied, telling the OP that you didn't agree with the parts he was going to use because they didn't conform to your idea of what can be used as an urban bike.

Oh, and BTW, I like how you ignored my comment about my belief that the rider's hands should have access to the brake levers from any hand position being used and turned it into a shifter only thing in an attempt to delegitimize my statement. I'm guessing you believe that urban bikes use coaster brakes. Finally, back to my original argument, you continue to say that touring, gravel, and adventure bikes are nothing new and ask where the revolution is. You also say that they aren't and never have been urban use bikes. The revolution is that people are now using these bikes for urban and commuting use. Touring bike make great commuters, and for some they are preferred to actual commuter style bikes.
10 days ... no movement from the OP? This isn't just due to my commentary.

Rider's hands should have access to the brake levers from any hand position being used commentary doesn't make sense.

My current bike and my old MTB commuter in Germany with flat bars could depress the brake from all positions.

Bullhorns are the same with intermediate brakes so I don't see the issue. It's just that the lows on the drops but the rider so low that it gets dangerous especially in roundabouts!

My other argument is the almost no one (planet-wide) is using "touring"/"gravel" bikes for commuting as their not suitable for urban commuting (which is the title of the thread).
Old 10-30-18, 08:06 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,686 Times in 2,509 Posts
If that's how you want to play it, that's fine.

maybe if you hadn't made the OP feel unwelcome, he would have posted more. He said as much up-thread. I'm not sure what your motivations are, but I feel like the response to your posts is entirely predictable. I'm sure you have some interesting things to say, but we only rarely see anything positive from you. In fact, I think it has been years.
Old 10-30-18, 08:10 AM
acidfast7
Banned

Originally Posted by unterhausen
maybe if you hadn't made the OP feel unwelcome, he would have posted more. He said as much up-thread. I'm not sure what your motivations are, but I feel like the response to your posts is entirely predictable. I'm sure you have some interesting things to say, but we only rarely see anything positive from you. In fact, I think it has been years.
I think that the OP shouldn't care what I say.

Fine, if you want to be positive, then I will be positive.

Starting now.
Old 10-30-18, 11:12 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

I think that the OP shouldn't care what I say.
Your words affect people, whether you realize it or not, whether you think they should or not.

Old 10-30-18, 11:18 AM
acidfast7
Banned

Your words affect people, whether you realize it or not, whether you think they should or not.
That is correct. Words are powerful; the pen is mightier than the sword as they say.

My behaviour on this forum has been unfortunate, to say the least, for the last few years.

I aim to be a better netizen and I only humbly request that some patience is shown while I rectify my means of interaction.

Have a nice evening.
Old 10-30-18, 11:19 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

@acidfast7:

Old 10-30-18, 11:33 AM
acidfast7
Banned

Later tonight. I'm currently on the train at London Blackfriars station, directly over the Thames, on my way to Cambridge.

Have a nice evening.
Old 10-30-18, 05:24 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1954 Post(s)
Liked 3,657 Times in 1,677 Posts
Noglider, you are always the guy I want to hear from.

Last edited by 52telecaster; 10-30-18 at 08:22 PM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.