Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

"Do everything" frameset for internal hub

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-19, 03:14 PM
taybins

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey all - my first actual post after stalking these forums for years. So, hi!

I'd like to build a "do everything" bike for my wife, but mostly commuting (in Southern New England winters, too). After spending many hours researching, I've come to realize that the set of requirements makes for a pretty niche bike, and I don't think there are many frame options that fit the bill. So I'd like to ask all of you: any frameset recommendations that I should be looking into, but may have missed? I've covered a lot of the usual suspects that are in by budget (ideally less than $650 new for the frameset, though I'd love to find a used one). Here are those strange requirements:
  • Steel
  • Disc brake compatible
  • Prefer no extraneous canti or DT bosses
  • Horizontal-ish dropouts, since I want to install an Alfine 8spd IGH without an eccentric BB or a chain tensioner (yes, yes, many of your will recommend I spend the money on a Rohloff, I know I know)
  • Derailleur hanger, in case she decides one day that she doesn't like the IGH
  • Braze ons for both front a rear racks, it will eventually have a child carrier (with child, one presumes) mounted up front
  • Road or CC geometry, since she likes going fast and being on her drops (this is the requirement that screws everything up - rules out cargo frames, Ogre)
Pretty much anything that fits those needs will have lots of clearance for mudguards, so those aren't separate requirements. I've looked at pretty much everything from All City, Surly, Soma, and a random selection of other frames form other manufacturers, and the leading contender right now is a Surly Straggler.

Is there anything I'm missing, or have forgotten? If I break my no chain tensioner rule and include vertical dropouts, that opens up way more possibilities - maybe a Disc Trucker? Space Horse?

Thanks a ton!
Old 02-27-19, 08:59 PM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
Surly Troll. Fast is a relative term. Drops can be used, but why bother?
Old 02-27-19, 11:00 PM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 245 Posts
You're on the right track there, but how about a SA 8? Easier to take apart and lube and replace parts, vs almost impossible with Alfine 8 or 11, but you can take their complete guts out to dip in oil.
Have a look at the YouTube videos, the Alfine needs more than a few special tools, However, it is pointless to do so as the parts are not available anyway.
They have the same GIs, 31 to 100.
The chainring is way smaller with the SA 8, so it's easier to cover the chain. The SA 8 is all overdrive, while the Alfine has 5th as direct drive. SA cranks at SJS are OK if you like 170mm.

I used a SA 5w a few years and loved it's speed, faster than my Rohloff14. Then the shift springs went goofy. It is very easy to take apart too, just don't lose track of the tiny pawl springs. A shell tool is a good idea to have.

Last edited by GamblerGORD53; 03-01-19 at 01:01 AM.
Old 02-28-19, 07:24 AM
taybins

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cool, thanks both. I did look at the Troll, and I think that would be a good option to compete with an Ogre, but not sure my wife digs it. She really prefers drops, and I suspect it would then have too much reach. Also prefers 700c wheels for the speed.

The Sturmey Archer hub is an interesting alternative, though. I actually looked at those early on and basically found that no one used them (compared to Rohloff and Shimano), so figured there must be a reason. I guess I should reconsider!
Old 02-28-19, 10:23 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1661 Post(s)
Liked 1,814 Times in 1,054 Posts
Originally Posted by taybins
The Sturmey Archer hub is an interesting alternative, though. I actually looked at those early on and basically found that no one used them...
Used one for the last ten years. Good hub. You WILL need a small tooth count chainring to get the gear range right.
Old 02-28-19, 10:27 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1661 Post(s)
Liked 1,814 Times in 1,054 Posts
  • Disc brake compatible
  • Horizontal-ish dropouts
Pretty much mutually exclusive.
Old 02-28-19, 10:30 AM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Soma Wolverine and Surly Straggler are the closest I can think of.
Old 02-28-19, 02:53 PM
taybins

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hm, ya, I like the look of the Wolverine. I had dismissed it earlier because I didn't really understand the dropouts, but I do now. Seems their 3.0 version has redesigned the droppouts, which I understand caused frame problems in much earlier models (don't quote me, might just be passing along gossip).

In head-to-heads, it seems like the Soma is a winner over the Surly, too. Too bad the latest model doesn't come in orange!
Old 02-28-19, 10:53 PM
CharlieFree

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Hm, ya, I like the look of the Wolverine. I had dismissed it earlier because I didn't really understand the dropouts, but I do now. Seems their 3.0 version has redesigned the droppouts, which I understand caused frame problems in much earlier models (don't quote me, might just be passing along gossip).

In head-to-heads, it seems like the Soma is a winner over the Surly, too. Too bad the latest model doesn't come in orange!
i have the Wolverine 2.0 (in orange!) never had problems with the dropouts and the frame. I am using the alfine 8 with a belt but I might switch to a 3 speed to keep it simpler and lighter.
Old 02-28-19, 11:48 PM
Nightdiver
On yer bike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Also don't rule out bikes just because they lack a horizontal or sliding dropout system. PF30, BB30, and other bottom bracket standards are able to take eccentrics to provide chain tension. Usually they will have enough adjustment to accommodate a belt system if you go that route, depending on the exact combo of belt, chainstay, etc.
Old 03-01-19, 01:58 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,426 Times in 2,533 Posts
Yeah, I was going to suggest just buy a Breezer Beltway until I saw you seem to definitely want drop bars. I don't know if they sell just frames, but you could buy a whole Breezer Beltway 8 and swap out the bars and cockpit. Or an 11+ and you've also got dynamo lighting and rack and fenders.

Did Breezer raise their prices? I seem to remember the top-end Beltway 11+ to be an absolute steal, and now at $1799 it seems more like just a fair price.
Old 03-02-19, 09:53 AM
Banzai
Jet Jockey

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD9, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Nashbar X-frame bike, Bike Friday Haul-a-Day, Surly Pugsley.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 25 Posts
If you use Alfine, the chain tensioner works fine, and you can just use vertical dropouts. Since you want a derailer hanger, why not?
Old 03-02-19, 01:31 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Bike Friday NWT .. Dropout swings, left one has disc mount, ISO.. 20" wheel so no TCO even smallest size..

Using Shimano Alfine hubs you can even order it as disc + belt drive, so no chain, no chain dirt..

Low bar so she can even wear dresses...

Bespoke. built to order..
even offered in Pink.. and shipped from Oregon , To Asia , not the other way ..

All on your list come out of Taiwan, probably built for export, in large numbers, by Maxway Ltd TW, (a very large OEM contract manufacturer)

Last edited by fietsbob; 03-02-19 at 01:45 PM.
Old 03-03-19, 11:21 PM
Kedosto
Callipygian Connoisseur

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
Specialized AWOL Expert frameset. No longer available so you’d have to track one down in the wild. Drop bar geo. IGH, chain, belt, Rohloff, derailleur, whatever. “Swinger” dropouts — an adjustable pivot design. Quick release only. Steel frame with dyno hub, rack(s), and fender mount accommodations. Overall it’s one of the most versatile frames I’ve ever seen. I own one, size L (not for sale).

Specialized AWOL Expert

-Kedosto

Edited to add: All are disc brake. Only 2016 and later are Rohloff compatible with OEM 2 plates. Easily fits tires up to 47 w/fenders, 50s without. 3 bottle mounts.

Last edited by Kedosto; 03-03-19 at 11:38 PM.
Old 03-06-19, 05:02 AM
Viich
Hack

Bikes: TrueNorth CX bike, 88 Bianchi Strada (currently Sturmey'd), Yess World Cup race BMX, Pure Cruiser race BMX, RSD Mayor v3 Fatbike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 131 Posts
I'd agree that there are few frames that do this well, and consider sturmey drum brake in place of disc for the rear. The adjustability of the horizontal drop outs really doesn't locate the disc well enough.
Old 03-08-19, 01:16 PM
taybins

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey all - thanks for all your help on this. I pulled the trigger on a Soma Wolverine 3.0. Looks sweet.

Interesting comment about the disc brake alingment, but the sliding dropouts on the Soma are also the same bits of metal that you attach the brake to, so it shouldn't be an issue. Hopefully.
Old 03-10-19, 11:51 AM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 658 Times in 371 Posts
Originally Posted by tcs
Pretty much mutually exclusive.
Not necessarily. They can coexist.
Old 03-10-19, 10:31 PM
Geekage

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan Burkhart
Not necessarily. They can coexist.
Yeah, but it's a bit of a hack getting horizontal dropouts and disc brakes to coexist.

The Surly horizontal dropouts need to have slotted IS disc brake mounts so the disc caliper can be slid back and forth depending in the wheel position. Actually, slid and rotated.

Of you just need to tweak the chain tension, you probably don't need to readjust the disc caliper position, it's probably close enough. And on the plus side unlike with Alternator dropouts or eccentric bottom brackets, you just need deal with the wheel nuts, not the dropout or BB pinch bolts.
Old 03-11-19, 12:30 PM
alan s 

Originally Posted by Geekage
Yeah, but it's a bit of a hack getting horizontal dropouts and disc brakes to coexist.

The Surly horizontal dropouts need to have slotted IS disc brake mounts so the disc caliper can be slid back and forth depending in the wheel position. Actually, slid and rotated.

Of you just need to tweak the chain tension, you probably don't need to readjust the disc caliper position, it's probably close enough. And on the plus side unlike with Alternator dropouts or eccentric bottom brackets, you just need deal with the wheel nuts, not the dropout or BB pinch bolts.
This is the Surly Troll dropout.
Old 03-11-19, 12:38 PM
Geekage

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by alan s

This is the Surly Troll dropout.

Do you have to loosen the caliper bolts just to remove the wheel? It looks like otherwise the disc would hit the caliper as you slid the wheel forward to get the chain off either the chainwheel or sprocket.

eta: It looks like the Surly trail bikes have the discs mounted on the other side of the seatstays and so the disc might not hit the caliper as it's slid forward.

Last edited by Geekage; 03-11-19 at 12:43 PM.
Old 03-11-19, 12:56 PM
alan s 

Originally Posted by Geekage
Do you have to loosen the caliper bolts just to remove the wheel? It looks like otherwise the disc would hit the caliper as you slid the wheel forward to get the chain off either the chainwheel or sprocket.

eta: It looks like the Surly trail bikes have the discs mounted on the other side of the seatstays and so the disc might not hit the caliper as it's slid forward.
No, there is enough slack on the drive side to get the chain off. Tensioned with a Surly Tuggnut.
Old 03-11-19, 06:44 PM
Archwhorides 

Bikes: Death machines all

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Bike Friday NWT .. Dropout swings, left one has disc mount, ISO.. 20" wheel so no TCO even smallest size..

Using Shimano Alfine hubs you can even order it as disc + belt drive, so no chain, no chain dirt..

Bespoke. built to order..

My my work colleague has a BF and it rocks!