Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

AlexAdventurer Wheels Question

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Old 03-03-19, 11:00 AM
BROOKLINEBIKER

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts

Hi,

I own a 2011 Surly Long Haul Trucker. I'd like to replace the wheels with equivalent equipment. I looked at the specs for my bike from 2011 and they are described as:

1. Hubs Shimano XT, HU-M770. 36h. Silver

2. Spokes DT Swiss, 14g stainless. Silver

3. Rims Alex Adventurer, 36h. Black w/ eyelets.

Can anyone recommend a package of equivalent items?

Can anyone recommend a seller where I can get the wheels full assembled?
Old 03-03-19, 11:16 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
What's wrong with your wheels? If the rims are worn, a wheelbuilder can reuse your hubs and spokes with a new set of Alex Adventurer 2 rims.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 03-03-19, 11:19 AM
BROOKLINEBIKER

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
What's wrong with your wheels? If the rims are worn, a wheelbuilder can reuse your hubs and spokes with a new set of Alex Adventurer 2 rims.
The rims are worn. When I ride the wheels, they just feel worn out & slow. I rode a new bike recently and could feel the difference. I'm also concerned that the cost of a wheelbuilder may approach that of just buying new.
Old 03-03-19, 11:48 AM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Most things advertised as a "touring wheelset" will do.

Velocity Wheels - Hand Made in USA
https://www.harriscyclery.net/itemdetails.cfm?ID=3246
https://www.prowheelbuilder.com/whee...lydesdale.html

Or you can spec your own from prowheelbuilder.com or your local wheelbuilder. Or you can just have your local shop replace your rims.

Last edited by tyrion; 03-03-19 at 11:56 AM.
Old 03-03-19, 12:03 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Originally Posted by BROOKLINEBIKER
The rims are worn. When I ride the wheels, they just feel worn out & slow. I rode a new bike recently and could feel the difference. I'm also concerned that the cost of a wheelbuilder may approach that of just buying new.
Have the hubs ever been serviced? Wheels don't just start to "feel slow" without a cause.

Not trying to completely talk you out of a new wheelset, especially if you had some thoughtful upgrades in mind, I just hate to see good parts thrown away if they still have life in them.
RUSA #7498
Old 03-03-19, 12:18 PM
BROOKLINEBIKER

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by tyrion
Most things advertised as a "touring wheelset" will do.

Velocity Wheels - Hand Made in USA
https://www.harriscyclery.net/itemdetails.cfm?ID=3246
https://www.prowheelbuilder.com/whee...lydesdale.html

Or you can spec your own from prowheelbuilder.com or your local wheelbuilder. Or you can just have your local shop replace your rims.
Thanks!
Old 03-03-19, 12:19 PM
BROOKLINEBIKER

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
Have the hubs ever been serviced? Wheels don't just start to "feel slow" without a cause.

Not trying to completely talk you out of a new wheelset, especially if you had some thoughtful upgrades in mind, I just hate to see good parts thrown away if they still have life in them.
I'm not sure. My local LBS has provided what were described as comprehensive tune ups. So possibly.
Old 03-03-19, 03:52 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
A rebuild of the ball bearings is never a bad idea.

Given how much more a tire deflects than a wheel, you could wonder if that’s the difference you are feeling. A touring bike comes with some heavy duty tires compared to a roadie. Not just larger but thicker with more armor, making them heavier and harder. So obviously they are going to be bricks.

If you do decide to get a new wheel set go for butted spokes

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 03-03-19 at 03:56 PM.
Old 03-04-19, 07:57 AM
aggiegrads

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 309 Times in 180 Posts
Originally Posted by BROOKLINEBIKER
When I ride the wheels, they just feel worn out & slow. I rode a new bike recently and could feel the difference.
What kind of bike did you ride? I have the exact bike (truccachino tan) and I spent a lot of time and money trying to turn it into something it is not. The Surly frame will never be a high-performing road bike, but it is fantastic for what it is and how much it costs. Mine has about 12,000 miles and it would be one of the two or three bikes I would keep if I had to cull my herd. That said, it is not a road bike. The same properties that make it good for carrying a heavy load make it a pig for lively riding. If you are looking for a livelier ride, save the money for new wheels and start saving for an endurance road or gravel bike

I did build up a generator front wheel for it and after finding a Chris King hub at the local co-op for a song, I built up a spare wheel set with Velocity Aeroheats and butted spokes. That is now my primary set and I use the original wheels with studded tires. THAT is a heavy and slow combination.

The Alex Adventurer rim has a ton of material on the brake track. Unless you have many thousands of miles in wet grimy conditions, you probably still have life in them. Repack the hubs and keep riding.
Old 03-04-19, 03:11 PM
BROOKLINEBIKER

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by aggiegrads

What kind of bike did you ride? I have the exact bike (truccachino tan) and I spent a lot of time and money trying to turn it into something it is not. The Surly frame will never be a high-performing road bike, but it is fantastic for what it is and how much it costs. Mine has about 12,000 miles and it would be one of the two or three bikes I would keep if I had to cull my herd. That said, it is not a road bike. The same properties that make it good for carrying a heavy load make it a pig for lively riding. If you are looking for a livelier ride, save the money for new wheels and start saving for an endurance road or gravel bike

I did build up a generator front wheel for it and after finding a Chris King hub at the local co-op for a song, I built up a spare wheel set with Velocity Aeroheats and butted spokes. That is now my primary set and I use the original wheels with studded tires. THAT is a heavy and slow combination.

The Alex Adventurer rim has a ton of material on the brake track. Unless you have many thousands of miles in wet grimy conditions, you probably still have life in them. Repack the hubs and keep riding.
I don't expect the bike to be fast but it clearly has gotten slower over time.
I live near Boston, MA and use the LHT for commuting. Riding in wet grimy conditions is exactly what the bike has gotten. I didn't mention above but the rear rim has delaminated a bit due to my negligence in changing the brake pads recently. A local bike shop said the rim would eventually fail. That is also inspiring me to replace the wheels.
Old 03-04-19, 03:36 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
QBP Got the best price on the Alex Rims, to be used to assemble the wheels for the many thousands of LHT they ordered built and shipped by their contract OEM manufacturer ..

fit for purpose

you get good deals on built wheels from wholesale suppliers to bike shops, one of those is QBP.
Parts at wholesale , and laced & trued , for less that retail cost of the parts..
Old 03-04-19, 04:23 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Delaminated the rim? Ooh, now we are getting somewhere. Instead of trying to suss out what that could mean, I’m just changing my answer to “Go ahead and replace.”
Old 03-04-19, 04:34 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Indeed QBP used to offer a wheel building service to shops. Customer could specify parts, shop receives and sells built wheel. Is that still a thing? I recall a few years ago you could order them direct but they shut that down.
Old 03-04-19, 07:55 PM
BROOKLINEBIKER

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
QBP Got the best price on the Alex Rims, to be used to assemble the wheels for the many thousands of LHT they ordered built and shipped by their contract OEM manufacturer ..

fit for purpose

you get good deals on built wheels from wholesale suppliers to bike shops, one of those is QBP.
Parts at wholesale , and laced & trued , for less that retail cost of the parts..
Will they sell to someone who doesn't own a bike shop?
Old 03-05-19, 10:31 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
No., son, you go through a Retail Seller.. They have a Dealer account with the wholesaler..

Factory fills containers, drives it to be loaded at Port. 1,000 + container Ship load, of 20 or 40 foot Marine Containers on that ship.. crosses the ocean
containers offloaded in another port,
truck takes container to warehouse warehouse workers unload container and put pallets of boxes on pallet shelves,

dealer places order, someone finds that box on the pallet of them, takes that item out of the box , and someone packs it with other items the dealer bike shop orders ,

UPS picks up the box of various items, and delivers it to the store, you get it from them...

If you are a bike factory the flow path is different ..

Old 03-06-19, 02:18 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
Delaminated the rim? Ooh, now we are getting somewhere. Instead of trying to suss out what that could mean, I’m just changing my answer to “Go ahead and replace.”
I want to see pics now!
RUSA #7498