Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Trek SLR7 Disc

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Trek SLR7 Disc

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-19, 11:49 AM
nesdog

Bikes: Domane SLR7 Disc

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 39 Posts
Trek SLR7 Disc

I'm giving myself a retirement present in June, a new bike! For once, I want to buy myself something a bit more extravagant and not just do the 'reasonable thing'.

I'm currently on a 2014 Domane 4.3. This was their entry level carbon, 105 DT, basically first gen of the rear IsoSpeed. It's been a great machine with no complaints of interest.

I'm looking at the SLR7 Disc. Lots of hills where we live so will be happy for the improved braking. Electronics are a nice change and the lighter frame hopefully adding to some enjoyment.

As the geometry is identical to my current bike, I expect the fit to be okay. Will also check out the BMC RM, perhaps a couple of other brands. Planning on test rides in the next months.

Anyone riding this model and can provide some feedback?

Thanks!
Old 03-07-19, 04:27 PM
illdrag0n

Bikes: 2014 Focus Mares AX 2.0, 2019 Cube Litening C:62 Race Disc Teamline

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 140 Times in 68 Posts
Madone, Domane or Emonda?
Old 03-07-19, 04:38 PM
rms13

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Might as well wait until Trek makes it's announcement that changes the entire cycling world forever:

https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycl...g-forever.html
Old 03-07-19, 08:59 PM
nesdog

Originally Posted by illdrag0n
Madone, Domane or Emonda?
Domane.
Old 03-11-19, 05:12 AM
jpescatore

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Disc, Jamis Renegade

Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 217 Posts
Can't help you on the SLR7 but I bought a 2017 Domane SLR6 Disc and now have about 7000 miles on it. I'm now a big fan of disc brakes, the front/rear Isospeed components definitely do smooth out the ride on the typical surfaces I ride. This was the first carbon frame I've had - I'm really enjoying it. I went with the SLR 6 that year, mainly because it came with Metron Vision 40 wheels, I'm not sure how much of the improved feeling is from those vs. the frame.

The only downside has been less durability than my previous Trek bikes, all steel frames. I've already had to have 1 shift cable and the bottom bracket replaced, which the bike shop says is about average but I think I got way more than 7K miles on those components before, though with the new bike I am doing a lot more miles per year than I had been doing. There is a plastic cable guide under the bottom bracket that kept braking and kept being replaced under warranty - Trek improved the part and no more problems there.
Old 03-11-19, 08:59 AM
nesdog

You replaced a BB at 7k miles and the shop said that was average? On my 2014, I've only just now swapped out a broken cable. I rode my Giant OCR for ten years without ever having to replace the bottom bracket.
Old 03-11-19, 11:18 PM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
Originally Posted by nesdog
You replaced a BB at 7k miles and the shop said that was average? On my 2014, I've only just now swapped out a broken cable. I rode my Giant OCR for ten years without ever having to replace the bottom bracket.
If you got 7,000 miles out of your press fit BB, you did pretty good. M
Old 03-12-19, 06:52 AM
MarkEmondaSL7

Bikes: Trek Emonda SL7

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I choose the EMONDA SL7 disc about a year ago and sing it's praises on every ride.
Made the leap from a 20 y.o. Cannondale CAAD3; 53/39; 12-27 machine, so as you can imagine, i was blown away.
It's ULTEGRA Di2 spec'd ; 11-28 compact cranks; Bontrager carbon wheels and ~17.5#. A superb club riding machine for
the "climbs" and twisties here in SoCal. Think about opting for "VELO-CARE" during the purchase ... I got the 3 yr option for $175.. covers many moving
parts that your mileage will require replacing. Also, Trek has a credit card plan that you can opt to take up to 1 year interest free to settle up. There is a minimum
monthly and a very ugly steep interest rate if you miss a payment or don't square things up at the end of the year.
Test ride them all... Enjoy the new bike!
Old 03-12-19, 12:45 PM
nesdog

I had Trek's Red maintenance plan after I bought my Domane. It was pretty much a waste of money. I only replaced a chain under it. Sounds like the Velo-Care is less expensive than I paid. Will check that out, thanks.
Old 03-12-19, 05:22 PM
Igotdibs
Senior Citizen

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR7 Disc, Lemond Poprad, 1980 Colnago Super, '88 Specialized Rockhopper

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 576 Times in 162 Posts
DO IT!

Last year I decided to go the extravagant route (in retirement) as well. But I chose the Emonda SLR-7 Disc. Honestly, I think it's impossible to be happier on a bike! I went the Project One route, upgraded to Ultegra Di2, Aeolus Pro 3 TLR Carbon wheels and 26mm R3 TLR tires. I'm fully tubeless and run at about 80 psi front and 85 psi rear. The ride is smooth and supple. I love it.

Last edited by Igotdibs; 03-12-19 at 05:34 PM.
Old 03-13-19, 06:24 AM
jpescatore

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Disc, Jamis Renegade

Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 217 Posts
Originally Posted by colnago62
If you got 7,000 miles out of your press fit BB, you did pretty good. M
That seems to be the consensus.
Old 03-13-19, 06:35 AM
MarkEmondaSL7

Bikes: Trek Emonda SL7

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Igotdibs
DO IT!

Last year I decided to go the extravagant route (in retirement) as well. But I chose the Emonda SLR-7 Disc. Honestly, I think it's impossible to be happier on a bike! I went the Project One route, upgraded to Ultegra Di2, Aeolus Pro 3 TLR Carbon wheels and 26mm R3 TLR tires. I'm fully tubeless and run at about 80 psi front and 85 psi rear. The ride is smooth and supple. I love it.
Please describe the ride and feel once you switched to TUBELESS.... what's the flat remedy - have you experienced one?
Old 03-13-19, 08:49 AM
Igotdibs
Senior Citizen

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR7 Disc, Lemond Poprad, 1980 Colnago Super, '88 Specialized Rockhopper

Originally Posted by MarkEmondaSL7
Please describe the ride and feel once you switched to TUBELESS.... what's the flat remedy - have you experienced one?
The ride was simply much smoother. Some of the difference was probably due to moving up from 23mm to 26mm tires at the same time. But I think the biggest contributing factor was the lower tire pressure. I always ran 110 PSI with tubes in order to minimize pinch flats.

I've got approximately 1800 miles on the Emonda without a flat (knocks on wood), but I always carry a tube with me just in case.
Old 03-13-19, 12:15 PM
nesdog

DO IT!

I notice the Emonda can use 25/26 tires (I've been using Conti 4000's 25 on my Domane) while the SLR goes up to 32. Emonda much lighter than the Domane. I'll test ride both. What I do like about sticking with the Domane is that the frame specs are identical to mine so that I can more easily adjust the fit to current numbers.
Old 03-13-19, 12:48 PM
Igotdibs
Senior Citizen

I notice the Emonda can use 25/26 tires (I've been using Conti 4000's 25 on my Domane) while the SLR goes up to 32. Emonda much lighter than the Domane. I'll test ride both. What I do like about sticking with the Domane is that the frame specs are identical to mine so that I can more easily adjust the fit to current numbers.
Sound reasoning for going with the Domane. BUT, food for thought - my transition from Domane to Emonda was a no brainer. Easy as falling off a log. There's no wrong choice here... They're both awesome bikes! I hope you enjoy your new bike as much as I'm enjoying mine!
Old 03-13-19, 01:23 PM
nesdog

Sound reasoning for going with the Domane. BUT, food for thought - my transition from Domane to Emonda was a no brainer. Easy as falling off a log. There's no wrong choice here... They're both awesome bikes! I hope you enjoy your new bike as much as I'm enjoying mine!
Thanks! I retire in June and will be testing bikes in late May.
Old 03-14-19, 12:05 PM
MonsterFat

Bikes: Fat City Monster Fat, BMC Roadmachine, Trek Emonda, Trek 2100, Specialized Rockhopper

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thinking about doing the same thing except I already have an Emonda(not a SL7). I am looking hard at the BMC though. Does anyone know if the Di2 junction box is still under the stem on the SL7 as in the photo on Trek's website or has it been moved internally somewhere?
Old 03-15-19, 02:26 AM
Dean V

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 153 Posts
My Domane SL6 disc will take a 35mm tyre.
I also have an Emonda ALR5 rim brake which will take a 30mm tyre.
So you may be underestimating the size tyre a SLR7 will fit.
Old 03-18-19, 01:58 PM
Gladius

Bikes: '86 Centurion Elite RS '17 Trek Domane SLR6 Disc '16 Trek Boone 5 '15 Trek Fuel EX 9 '20 Trek Checkpoint SL6

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I got an Ultegra Di2 Domane SLR 6 disc and opted for the 32s. They were a bit too fat for my liking as a road bike, but I'm consistently riding on 28s on the road. If I were doing gravel on it I'd go wider.
I had the previous Ultegra Domane (the same as you have now) and it was definitely worth the upgrade, both in terms of the frame and the groupset. Get Di2!
Old 03-18-19, 05:50 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3238 Post(s)
Liked 2,083 Times in 1,180 Posts
Thanks! I retire in June and will be testing bikes in late May.
Good that you are retiring. That's exactly the bike I desire, Domane SL7 with Di2 and discs. It comes with 32mm tires and I'd bet could push to 35 or so, which makes it a potential gravel grinder. I would suggest getting (as upgrade if required) the GS rear derailer as it offers greater cassette range, up to a 32 or so. I would contemplate a 2nd set of wheels for gravel, with an 11-32.