Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Aventon masking dents to sell damaged goods?

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-19, 11:17 AM
seau grateau

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 194 Posts

No bueno.

Old 03-23-19, 01:32 PM
PeopleAreIdiots

Bikes: Disc Brake Wabi Special, GT Pulse, Fuji Track Beater

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 20 Posts
I saw this. It makes you think how common of a practice this might be...
Old 03-23-19, 02:52 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18376 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts

I would assume almost all bikes/cars/etc use a leveling primer, and frequently a first coat with a light filler for leveling.

Would one use filler to cover aluminum welds to give nice curved lines? Is that OK?

As far as the dent above... a bit excessive, but I'm not convinced the frame was actually a danger, rather than an annoyance.
Old 03-23-19, 03:02 PM
seau grateau

Yeah, it's a pretty common way to fix dents. The point is more that a brand new bike frame shouldn't be damaged and masked by the manufacturer.
Old 03-23-19, 04:12 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18376 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
Originally Posted by seau grateau
Yeah, it's a pretty common way to fix dents. The point is more that a brand new bike frame shouldn't be damaged and masked by the manufacturer.
I wouldn't worry about filler being used to filet out welds (as long as it stuck, and one realized it was only aesthetic).

Or, perhaps covering some slight scuffs or manufacturing irregularities.

The question is what happened to that tube????

My guess is that somewhere the was a clamp that was adjusted too tight, and smashed a hundred frames. Then some managers had a powwow, and decided to fill and sell the frames as first quality frames.

Remnant pieces?

Now, a few things about aluminum manufacture. If the part is well built, it may well have been processed through multiple steps. Then finished with heat treating.

Hydroforming?

In fact, it could also be a hydroforming fault.

So, if the heat treating was post-dent, then there would be minimal structural loss from the dent.
Old 03-23-19, 05:56 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1331 Post(s)
Liked 764 Times in 431 Posts
Buy one of these:

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Old 03-25-19, 10:58 AM
7up

Bikes: Aurelia*Bianchi*Cannondale*Colnago*Dahon*Giant*Haro*Lynsky*Monkey Faction*Origin8*Panasonic*Paramont*Peugeot*Ross*Schwinn*SE*Specialized*Trek

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 18 Posts
BUYER BEWARE.....The practice is wide spread in the auto industry.Damage during new car delivery is common at which time the vehicle is assessed by a body shop that the dealer uses for all body repairs.After the vehicle is fixed it is still sold as new.
Old 03-28-19, 12:16 AM
Leukybear 
THE STUFFED

Bikes: R. Sachs Road; EAI Bareknuckle; S-Works Enduro

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
Mmmm bondo bodge-job. That's a pretty egregious amount nonetheless.

Originally Posted by 7up
BUYER BEWARE.....The practice is wide spread in the auto industry.Damage during new car delivery is common at which time the vehicle is assessed by a body shop that the dealer uses for all body repairs.After the vehicle is fixed it is still sold as new.
Yup!
I heard stories of anxious people beating the dealership's call to take delivery (they tracked the auto-carrier boat online) and found their new car having damage off the truck before the dealer could fix it.
You'll be surprised it's actually common for the shark fin antenna of cars getting pushed into their roof while on the truck and requiring the entire roof to be replaced.

Originally Posted by veganbikes
Pound sign: Kilo TT
Old 03-28-19, 06:30 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by 7up
Trivia: The number one defect in new cars used to be bullet holes from people shooting at the cars as they are transported by train.

The industry developed metal covers. I was told by some engineers at Ford that they are pretty effective at reducing gunshot wounds by hiding the cars and sometimes deflecting the bullets.

-Tim-
Old 03-28-19, 08:47 AM
phobus

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 31 Posts
Aventon just needs to pivot and turn this into a marketing win. Speedvagen used to let you pay extra to get a frame with a scratch already on it, and here Aventon's giving you the first dent for free. Truly leading the industry in value for money.
Old 03-28-19, 08:53 AM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
Well if it's on the internet it must be true.
Old 03-28-19, 09:35 AM
seau grateau

Originally Posted by ksryder
Well if it's on the internet it must be true.
Ty for the valuable input.
Old 03-28-19, 11:25 AM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 984 Times in 508 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
Trivia: The number one defect in new cars used to be bullet holes from people shooting at the cars as they are transported by train.

The industry developed metal covers. I was told by some engineers at Ford that they are pretty effective at reducing gunshot wounds by hiding the cars and sometimes deflecting the bullets.

Another fun story...

New cars get damaged quite frequently on the trains, or when loading/unloading them. The railroad doesn't even sweat this, because they have good insurance, and they make big money transporting the millions of cars that get through unscathed.

I had a distant relative (a great uncle or maybe third cousin--I'm not sure which) who told of a time in about the 1950s when he was contracted by Union Pacific to move some damaged cars. He owned a bulldozer and lived and worked in Bancroft, Idaho, a tiny town known mainly for its support of the railroad at the time. During the steam era, trains would stop there to fill up on water and coal or oil. That ended when diesel trains came along, and nowadays Bancroft is just a wide spot in the road, mostly supporting local farms. Anywhoo, a train carrying new cars got derailed near the town and spilled some of its cargo on and around the tracks. The U.P. was working frantically to clean up the mess, so other trains could pass through. They called my relative and asked him to come and push cars out of the way. When he arrived, he noticed some of the cars were not badly damaged, and he asked if they couldn't be saved. The answer was "We're losing [umpteen dollars] every hour this track is blocked. Insurance will pay for the cars. Get on your dozer and shove them all into the ditch, quickly please!" Somewhere near Bancroft, Idaho there might still be many wrecked new cars in a ditch alongside the tracks, although I imagine local scavengers picked over them long ago to salvage any usable parts.
Old 03-29-19, 06:41 AM
Bigpond

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don’t see a parallel between throwing some bondo on a cosmetic panel and covering up a potentially crimped load bearing tube on a bike. This is pretty shady regardless of however common it may or may not be in the industry and is a pretty strong argument to avoid alu frames or at least any fromthis company.
Old 03-29-19, 09:07 AM
seau grateau

Originally Posted by Bigpond
I don’t see a parallel between throwing some bondo on a cosmetic panel and covering up a potentially crimped load bearing tube on a bike. This is pretty shady regardless of however common it may or may not be in the industry and is a pretty strong argument to avoid alu frames or at least any fromthis company.
This is basically my line of thinking. A dent in a car's bodywork doesn't create a potential structural failure point. It may or may not have compromised the structural integrity of the frame in this case, but how much do you trust a budget frame manufacturer to make that distinction?
Old 03-29-19, 05:53 PM
rms13

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
I remember that guys ****** thread when it happened a few weeks ago.
Old 03-29-19, 10:26 PM
ryan_rides

Bikes: 2018 Aventon Cordoba 2021 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 23 Posts
Aventon is trash. Even if you buy a bike or frameset fro. Them without a dent to begin with. Your frame will crack. I originally bought a mataro low about 3 years ago and it cracked. I filed a warranty claim and they sent me a new one. It cracked more than the previous frame. I filed again. This time they stopped producing the mataro low and told me that I had to pay $100 for them to send me a new cordoba frameset. (Which is what I ride now). I will never buy anything from them again. Nobody should have to go through this when buying a new frameset.
Old 03-29-19, 10:29 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Originally Posted by TejanoTrackie
Buy one of these:

I would feel compelled to correct it to "One fewer roadie"