Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Driving Old Bike Routes Helped Me Avoid Jam...

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Old 08-12-19, 06:16 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 1,658 Times in 822 Posts

I drove North a few miles to an after work meeting this afternoon. Google Maps showed an accident and traffic jam on the highway. Whenever that happens the two next alternate surface streets it suggests also jam.

Then I remembered some residential and access streets I used to ride before Colorado Springs added its newer MUPs. Sure enough, it was clear sailing. And while the speed limits varied from 30 to 40mph, I beat the estimated Google Maps time. I even had periodic views of the slower highway traffic inching along. Not only that, there was the nostalgia factor of the old routes.

Last edited by BobbyG; 08-13-19 at 10:53 AM.
Old 08-13-19, 08:38 AM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
I do like those quiet residential streets. They are pretty much my goto for commuting.
Old 08-13-19, 11:35 AM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
The other day I had something similar happen where I got off the main road and on to some old bike routes. Better than sitting in traffic!
Likes For no motor?:
Old 08-13-19, 11:48 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1103 Post(s)
Liked 1,823 Times in 878 Posts
I'd rather be making good time going the wrong way than sitting in traffic
Likes For nomadmax:
Old 08-13-19, 01:36 PM
Skipjacks

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Crosstrail / 2013 Trek Crossrip Elite

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 155 Posts
Originally Posted by nomadmax
This.

Words to live by, right here.
Likes For Skipjacks:
Old 08-13-19, 03:41 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,399 Times in 2,510 Posts
I read once that urban police are trained, if they're trying to get to an emergency scene, and they run up against an intersection with traffic they can't get through, just turn. Turn first and figure out how to get back on track later. Just keep moving.
Old 08-14-19, 03:12 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1103 Post(s)
Liked 1,823 Times in 878 Posts
Originally Posted by RubeRad
I read once that urban police are trained, if they're trying to get to an emergency scene, and they run up against an intersection with traffic they can't get through, just turn. Turn first and figure out how to get back on track later. Just keep moving.
I did 26 years at a large police department in Ohio and taught at the academy, local and state; I've never heard that before reading it here. Knowing your beat/city on a detailed basis is hammered into the recruits from day one so it's kinda the same thing I guess. We do have areas in the city called "Defensible Space", basically neighborhoods with only one or two ways in or out by car, the rest of the streets are blocked by large iron gates to limit access (in and out) to those who might want to do crimes there. The bicycle patrol was king in those areas.

Last edited by nomadmax; 08-14-19 at 03:16 AM.
Old 08-14-19, 04:06 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by BobbyG
I drove North a few miles to an after work meeting this afternoon. Google Maps showed an accident and traffic jam on the highway. Whenever that happens the two next alternate surface streets it suggests also jam.

Then I remembered some residential and access streets I used to ride before Colorado Springs added its newer MUPs. Sure enough, it was clear sailing. And while the speed limits varied from 30 to 40mph, I beat the estimated Google Maps time. I even had periodic views of the slower highway traffic inching along. Not only that, there was the nostalgia factor of the old routes.
Originally Posted by no motor?
The other day I had something similar happen where I got off the main road and on to some old bike routes. Better than sitting in traffic!
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
When I was growing up in Detroit, around grades 6 to 8, my good friend and I used to also like to go out on our bikes and “get lost,” as well as our intentional rides throughout the neighborhood.

Detroit though, is laid out on a rectangular grid system, so we were never really that lost, compared to riding in Boston.

One benefit of cycling around Boston and knowing the back roads, is that occasionally when driving on a freeway if I encounter a traffic jam, I know how to get off and bypass the jam on the local surface roads, while the unaware drivers sit it out
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
This weekend, Friday PM through Monday PM I did a 1600 mile round trip drive to North Carolina. (I took my bike, but time and family activities precluded riding.)…

While in Connecticut [on the way back to Boston], I heard about the bus explosion on the eastbound Mass Pike in Newton that shut it down with a miles-long back up in my direction, that I would soon encounter.

A favorite training ride segment is to ride from Hopkinton [starting line for the Boston Marathon] to Norwood through some beautiful back roads with little traffic. So I got off the Mass Pike at I-495, well before the traffic jam, and off at Hopkinton and followed my route.

I went through Hopkinton to Holliston … through Sherborn to Dover, but rather continued on to Millis and then backtracked via Rte 109 to Norwood.

Though only traveling 30-40 mph, at least I was continuously moving, with only rare traffic lights, it was so backroad. I was a bit chagrinned to “despoil” the route by car, but I do get a different perspective with my head up, above road-view.

When I arrived at Norwood, my colleague had not even heard about the bus explosion.
Originally Posted by chas58
I do like those quiet residential streets. They are pretty much my goto for commuting.
Originally Posted by nomadmax
PS to @chas58: I note you post from Michigan. I grew up on the East Side of Detroit, and I remember wide, long, straight residential streets in the City Proper, safe to ride on.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 08-14-19 at 05:06 PM.
Likes For Jim from Boston:
Old 08-15-19, 07:34 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 510 Post(s)
Quoted: 7287 Post(s)
Liked 2,361 Times in 1,380 Posts
@BobbyG, you check google maps before you head out? I do that in the car but not the bike. Traffic generally doesn't affect my bike travel times.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 08-15-19, 09:15 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 1,658 Times in 822 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
@BobbyG, you check google maps before you head out? I do that in the car but not the bike. Traffic generally doesn't affect my bike travel times.
No, I don't check Google traffic for traffic when I bike. I was driving when Google alerted me to delays. I took old bike routes to avoid them.

I do use Google maps to plan bike routes to unfamiliar destinations in so far as checking infrastructure for bike lanes, shouldets, etc, but not for traffic conditions and jams.
Old 08-16-19, 05:44 AM
esmith2039

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Usually when I drive I take the same routes for that reason. Hardly any traffic and more peaceful.