Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Dilemma

Old 08-17-19, 12:53 PM
VtwinVince

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 244 Times in 142 Posts
Dilemma

My next project is an aluminum Softride Powercurve, and I've just noticed that the down tube took a hit right at the braze-on for the shift cable guide, and it has caused a creased dent in the down tube. Now I'm thinking maybe I should just bin it? It's cosmetic damage, no apparent cracks.
Old 08-17-19, 01:37 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds.

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1774 Post(s)
Liked 1,231 Times in 852 Posts
I'm not sure why you're posting if you aren't going to post a picture.
Likes For Bill Kapaun:
Old 08-17-19, 01:45 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4172 Post(s)
Liked 3,792 Times in 2,271 Posts
Damage is often cosmetic, until it isn't. IIRC Softrides have only a single frame member between the headtube and the seat tube/bb. Unlike a failure in a normal diamond frame where the break is supported by the "other ends" this down tube's complete failure will leave only a handful of cables holding the front and rear together. Andy
Old 08-17-19, 02:16 PM
sch

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 104 Posts
Assuming you are referring to the frame with two tubes between the head tube and the BB then a crease that is
transverse across the tube would be much more concerning than a longitudinal crease. Aluminum does take
well to bending and sudden failure is a higher risk than with a steel or Ti frame. A pix would help.

One other thing, a few friends have had softrides and there can be resonance at certain cadences with the
seat beam resulting in a lot of bouncing. Kind of weird when you are behind such and it occurs.
Old 08-17-19, 10:54 PM
VtwinVince

Kind of hard to photograph, but you can sort of make out the crease running parallel to the tube, right down the middle. There is also a crack in the paint.
Old 08-18-19, 07:00 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 749 Times in 559 Posts
By the looks of the frame, it looks like it has a conventional downtube, with the leaf spring mounted along the top tube, like this. Is that the style of your frame? If so, you have a little more margin for safety with regards to what Andy said above. With the paint still on the frame, it's hard to know exactly what the impact looks like underneath. I imagine the Softride bikes put unique stresses on the frame; I imagine something like that would be "fine" on a traditional frame with the rider's weight on the seat tube, but the Softride design may be more sensitive to something like this (I don't know for sure).
Old 08-18-19, 10:15 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4172 Post(s)
Liked 3,792 Times in 2,271 Posts
If anything I would think that the swinging seat, that Softride has, will lessen the force peaks in a traditional down tube and possibly increase the forces in the top tube. I have only worked on a few dozen over the years and saw issues with seat beam pivots and the frame right about the pivot "braze on".

The few tandems I've come across with beams have a curious reaction from the riders. Stokers really likes the suspension, captains liked that their stoker was happy but some disliked the added body movement. Andy
Old 08-18-19, 11:14 AM
VtwinVince

Thanks for the feedback. I feel that structurally the frame is OK, and it appears that the paint cracked when the tube flexed inwards.
Old 08-18-19, 11:44 AM
sch

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 104 Posts
That damage would be much less worrisome to me, mostly cosmetic, but a stressor that eventually,
probably years from now may crack.

As to the resonance bouncing of the beam with certain cadences I have seen this on both a singleton
and a tandem. As Andy noted, stokers kind of like it but the pilot can find it disconcerting.