Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Relieving stress

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Relieving stress

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-19, 04:11 PM
mdadams1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Relieving stress

Ever since I started commuting to work by bicycle I can't begin to say how much it helps with the stress as I get to work. I am relaxed and energized. I bike about 15 miles and look forward every morning to being able to ride to work.
Mike A
Likes For mdadams1:
Old 09-11-19, 04:20 PM
Colorado Kid

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 82 Posts
I too work in a high stress work environment. Bicycle commuting has made all the difference.
Old 09-11-19, 05:14 PM
takenreasy

Bikes: ’83 Bianchi Special ’96 Specialized Stump Jumper Comp ’09 Gary Fisher Paragon ’09 Surly Cross Check ’11 Surly Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 50 Posts
Originally Posted by Colorado Kid
I too work in a high stress work environment. Bicycle commuting has made all the difference.
Back when I was a commuter this was my number one driver. Most things thrown at me during work weren't an issue and those few things that were melted away on the ride home. Now I telecommute 100% but still ride my bike for just about everything.
Old 09-11-19, 05:39 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
It helps
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 09-11-19, 06:51 PM
wsgts

Bikes: 2018 Specialized AWOL, 2013 Surly Pacer, 2011 Raleigh One-Way, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 2020 Surly Big Dummy

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 21 Posts
Nothing like it.
Old 09-11-19, 07:25 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 365 Posts
I've retired and I miss the stress relief of the ride in to work. Of course I can ride anywhere I want now.
Old 09-11-19, 09:45 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
I dunno if bike-commuting relieves stress, as much as riding in traffic with cars helps put my work stress into a different perspective.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Likes For ThermionicScott:
Old 09-12-19, 02:20 AM
GUMK

Bikes: Marin Muirwoods 29er

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Quite agree.

In addition, I used to get stressed about connections for public transport and missing one by getting stuck at work.

Now I’m on my own timetable it’s not a bother...and a quicker commute to boot.
Old 09-12-19, 02:26 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,928 Times in 1,210 Posts
Mental health hour or two every day.
Old 09-13-19, 12:05 AM
cecu

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I concur, for me it works out cheaper, faster and helps with de-stress and exercise.
win win.
Old 09-13-19, 01:59 AM
Bluesfrog

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 18 Posts
It helps relieve stress from whatever comes my way. Since I am semiretired I only ride twice a week to work. And that is only to pay for our insurance and see my work friends once in a while. 23 years for the prison system is a bit stressful. Then there are the inmates. The admin types making STUPID rules are the worst. Politics don't belong in the system and neither do liberals. Thank God there are still a few here and there that realize prison is for punishment not patting the crooks on the back and telling them they had a bad upbringing. Never give those kinds of people a bit of room. They will turn you into whatever they want you to be, Prison has become a place you DON'T mind living for a while. The bike rides are necessary. elieve me. And it could be with an engine under you too. Have you ever seen a motorcycle or bicycle parked in front of a psychologists office? Not unless it belongs to the Dr. Rant over. Bluesfrog.
Old 09-13-19, 04:06 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Relieving stress
Originally Posted by mdadams1
Ever since I started commuting to work by bicycle I can't begin to say how much it helps with the stress as I get to work. I am relaxed and energized. I bike about 15 miles and look forward every morning to being able to ride to work.

Mike A
Dittos to the above, but I have posted:
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
…I have previously posted to this thread, Why didn’t I ride
[For the past few years] My job; either too much to do, so I stay (comfortably) overnight and resume very early in the AM, missing my commute; or have to travel afar for a meeting...and to a lesser extent, family activities. …
My commute sans car, 14 miles by bike, or Commuter Rail can take a significant amount of time, including frittering time when at home, like watching TV (the children are grown and my wife often works in the evening).

Fortunately I like my job, reducing the stress. Furthermore, my time at work is otherwise pretty flexible, and posting to Bikeforums is a secondary, vicarious substitute.
… Since I am at a computer most of the day at work generating reports…posting is a form of escape.

A radio commentator, Dennis Prager once suggested that one should take a vacation everyday; not to physically “get away,” but do something different during the day, and that’s posting for me.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 09-13-19 at 04:09 AM.
Old 09-13-19, 04:18 AM
tim24k

Bikes: To many to list. I like them all!

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 32 Posts
+ one!
Old 09-13-19, 04:18 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
I dunno if bike-commuting relieves stress, as much as riding in traffic with cars helps put my work stress into a different perspective.
In a similar vein, I have posted that when my wife and I were active cycle tourists,
Originally Posted by bikingshearer
A thought or two, based on personal experience....

Also, what's the hurry? One of the joys of touring is the singleness of purpose and absence of demands. All you have to do is get there: you don't have to get there fast or get their first - and if you are touring with camping gear, odds are you can be incredibly flexible about what "getting there" means on any given day.

Embrace that. Don't let your tour become an exercise in trading one rat-race for another.
Though I haven't toured in about 20 years, my wife and I did a cross country ride, and toured in Michigan, Ontario, New England and the Maritimes. … Doesn't that sound like a Great Escape from the usual daily work/commute "rat-race"?

In fact, bad touring days made me long for sitting in an office doing my usual job--very restorative.