Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Zebra Arrow Info

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Zebra Arrow Info

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-19, 09:38 PM
havensole

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Zebra Arrow Info

Hi All. I recently bought a Zebra Arrow from a local bike smith. I probably paid more than it is worth, but he did a great job fixing it up and making it almost new. He also threw in a bunch of other goodies and a lifetime warranty. I can't seem to find any real info on the bike though. Anyone know how to age one of these? What they sold for? What they go for nowadays (not interested in flipping, just curious).

This is my first bike in about 25 years, and even longer since I've been on a road bike. Haven't managed to crash/fall (yet). Really enjoy riding it, and amazed with how light the old steel frame is. My son's cheap freestyle bike weighs at least twice as much. Still figuring out the shifters. Not used to them being on a downtube.

P.S. I tried to attach some images, but it seems I can't yet.
Old 09-16-19, 06:26 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
Welcome to the forums. Based on the serial number, you have a 1986 Zebra Arrow. The mid-1980s version of the Arrow was an upper entry level, sports touring model. While I don't have 1986 specs, I do have 1985 , which still appear to be a very good match for your bicycle. MSRP at that time was $299 US. Obvious replacement parts include the wheels, saddle and brakes with aero levers. Current value is ~$150-$200, depending on the local market condition.

Zebra'a origins date back to 1901 Japan. In 1969 they merged with Kofu, another Japanese company who manufactured bicycles under the Keno brand, and the brand was renamed Zebrakenko. Circa 1974-1975, Sumitomo Shoji, a Japanese trading company with an American division, started importing and selling Zebrakenko bicycles in the USA. The brand name reverted to Zebra for the 1985 model year.

Link to the OP's photo album: https://www.bikeforums.net/g/picture/15204248

Last edited by T-Mar; 09-16-19 at 06:29 AM.