Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Any rear panniers you can recommend?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-09, 03:06 PM
uoficowboy

Bikes: 2007 Jamis aurora

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hi - I have been using my Timbuk2 bag to carry my lunch and books and whatnot to and from work for the past couple years. My back hates this - not only due to the weight, but the heat as well.

I have a rear rack already. I just need some panniers to put on it. I get rained on a lot - so I need something that is pretty darn water resistant/proof. It doesn't need to be massive - just big enough to carry lunch, a few books, and maybe some clothes.

Any suggestions? I see such mixed reviews of all the panniers out there that I am really nervous about this one.
Old 05-21-09, 03:27 PM
d2create

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I like Arkel panniers. Check out urban line of bags.
Old 05-21-09, 03:43 PM
corkscrew

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
For the best - people seem to prefer ortleib's.

I however am on a budget, and use Nashbar ATB panniers. Not really waterproof, but so far I've had good luck so far as I remember to put all the items in a dry or plastic bag before putting them in the pannier.
Old 05-21-09, 03:46 PM
interested

Bikes: Kinesisbikes UK Racelight Tk

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by uoficowboy
Hi - I have been using my Timbuk2 bag to carry my lunch and books and whatnot to and from work for the past couple years. My back hates this - not only due to the weight, but the heat as well.

I have a rear rack already. I just need some panniers to put on it. I get rained on a lot - so I need something that is pretty darn water resistant/proof. It doesn't need to be massive - just big enough to carry lunch, a few books, and maybe some clothes.

Any suggestions? I see such mixed reviews of all the panniers out there that I am really nervous about this one.
I can recommend Ortlieb Back-Rollers; very solid and durable, totally waterproof, very easy to clean if they get sprayed with mud, or if a container breaks while in transport. They have the easiest and most secure mounting system I know of. I use mine every day, I take them off road in the rain and mud, and I have often had more than 15 kg/30 pounds in one pannier without problems. I really like the the shoulder strap because it leaves my hand free to unlock doors or the bike.
My pair is rather old so it doesn't have any internal pocket like the new models does, so I can't comment on the usefulness of that. In stead I bought the external pocket and mounted that on my left pannier to have easy access to wallet, mobile etc.

They are somewhat expensive, but I still rate mine the most useful, durable and most used commuter equipment I have bought.

--
Regards
Old 05-21-09, 03:59 PM
porq
rain-forest commuter

Bikes: 2008 Kona Dr. Dew, 2002 Kona MokoMoko, 1994 Cadex, 1990 Breezer Thunder

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I don't know how often you get to Canada, but if you do, you should look at getting a pair of these panniers: Aqua-Not panniers
Old 05-21-09, 04:00 PM
daven1986

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I got the DHB Marsdens from wiggle.co.uk and they are pretty good, although the bottom retention mechanism is a bit crap, but for £35 for 2 you can't complain. Fully waterproof - have been in many downpours to prove this. Anyway they work for me
Old 05-21-09, 04:02 PM
kris247

Bikes: 2006 Specialized Stumpjumper

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I picked up a pair of Nashbar Daytrekkers panniers a few weeks ago. They're quite a bit smaller than I was expecting, but still hold my nearly everything that I would tote around in my generic mess bag. (I say "nearly" because there was a lot of accumulated junk in my bag that didn't make the transition). They may not be big enough to hold more than one or two textbooks paperbacks, trade paperbacks, and hardcovers fit just fine.

They are not advertised as waterproof, but they're made of a fairly heavy cordura, and have flaps that fold well over the sides. Unless you're riding in a serious downpour I don't think much water would get inside. I haven't had any problems with the few fast moving storms that roll through Salt Lake City this time of year.

The mounting system is solid - I don't have any problems with the bags bouncing around or making a a lot of noise when I'm riding, but it's not meant as quick-release-type system. You'll have to do some fiddling with velcro straps and s-hooks to get the panniers off. Once they're off there's no shoulder strap, so unless you have a place to store you end up holding the bags in your arm, looking fairly dorky. It's probably easier to remove any valuables from the bags than remove the bags themselves. (I keep a reusable shopping bag rolled up in one of the panniers for this purpose).

I don't know what you're riding, but I'm on a '05 Specialized Rockhopper -- with pretty short chainstays -- so, I was a little worried about any panniers being in my pedal path. I haven't had any problem with heel clipping with these bags.

The best part is that these panniers are cheap. I think I only paid $15 for them at Nashbar. (They were on-sale at the time, but I'm fairly certain they're always on-sale). I might buy something bigger for shopping trips in the future, but I'll continue to use these for day-to-day use.
Old 05-21-09, 04:36 PM
inkblot

Bikes: Haluzak Leprechaun, Ti-Rush, Azor Oma, Jamis Coda

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by interested
i can recommend ortlieb back-rollers; very solid and durable, totally waterproof, very easy to clean if they get sprayed with mud, or if a container breaks while in transport. They have the easiest and most secure mounting system i know of. I use mine every day, i take them off road in the rain and mud, and i have often had more than 15 kg/30 pounds in one pannier without problems. I really like the the shoulder strap because it leaves my hand free to unlock doors or the bike.
My pair is rather old so it doesn't have any internal pocket like the new models does, so i can't comment on the usefulness of that. In stead i bought the external pocket and mounted that on my left pannier to have easy access to wallet, mobile etc.

They are somewhat expensive, but i still rate mine the most useful, durable and most used commuter equipment i have bought.
+1!
Old 05-21-09, 04:42 PM
Jtgyk

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm waiting for the Nashbar Waterproof panniers I ordered to arrive. (Bought on sale + 10% off for $27-ish)

Until now I've been using the largest Topeak bag with fold down panniers. I'm looking forward to putting the load lower and lowering the center of gravity a bit.

My nice new Nashbar Touring Build AKA "The Flying Avocadooooooooo!"
1998(?) Trek 700 Multitrack
1995 Trek 1220 AKA "Jimi"
Older Non-suspension Specialized Hardrock
Old 05-21-09, 04:53 PM
JR97
Golden Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I prefer going the 1 bag instead of 2 bag route. I like the Nashbar Action Packer. It's basically a dry bag in a pannier/backpack harness thingy.
Old 05-21-09, 05:12 PM
rajman

Bikes: Miyata 600, Marin Larkspur, Marin Muirwoods, GT tequesta, Fuji Ace

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by porq
I don't know how often you get to Canada, but if you do, you should look at getting a pair of these panniers: Aqua-Not panniers
+1 - I've taken this one through a number of storms, no leakage.
Old 05-21-09, 05:36 PM
reson8u

Bikes: Schwinn Campus E-bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use the Jandd Hurricane Grocery Pannier. I usually don't commute in the rain, but I have been riding for fun in serious downpours and it is completely waterproof. The mechanism to attach to the rack did not like my slightly thicker tubing on my rack. I zip tied it to the bike (I do not need to take it off the bike). I got one of those reuseable canvas bags that they sell at the grocery store. I pack that in the house with everything that I need to take and then just drop (shove) the canvas bag in the pannier. It has an inside small pocket that I keep my keys and batteries for my lights. The rear of the pannier has some black reinforcement stitching with a small loop on it. I was able to thread a round metal keyring throught it, and hung a PBSF on it. It works great for my needs. I found it brand new on E-Bay for around $60, otherwise they retail for around $80. Good Luck
Old 05-21-09, 05:50 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,868 Times in 1,439 Posts
I use the Novara Commuter from REI:

With the included rain fly it's pretty waterproof. As an added bonus, the new ones are actually yellow (mine is some sort of baby-puke, near-yellow).
Old 05-21-09, 08:29 PM
Tabor

Bikes: Surly Crosscheck, Surly Pacer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had an Arkel BUG (very expensive), and I have since switched to an Ortlieb Bike Packer Plus. I will never go back.
Old 05-21-09, 08:46 PM
jmichaeldesign

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think axiom's line of panniers is the best combo of durability vs value.
Old 05-21-09, 09:04 PM
B Rubble

Bikes: Trek MTB; Miyata 912

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Get yourself a grocery bag pannier, put your timbuk2 bag in it and go.
I prefer the Navarro from REI.

As a side benefit, now you can easily stop off for groceries and eliminate another car trip.
Old 05-21-09, 10:15 PM
scottbot84
Hypocritical Cyclist

Bikes: 07 Surly Steamroller, 1984 Ross 290s

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1 on the axiom panniers. I have one and it's simple,economical, and relatively weatherproof.
Old 05-21-09, 10:20 PM
cooleric1234

Bikes: CAAD9-1, Windsor Cliff 29er

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1 on the Nashbar Daytrekker Panniers. I can't speak to how waterproof they are, but I've been very pleased with their size, stability, and structure. After using full sized panniers these are very nice.
Old 05-21-09, 10:28 PM
The Big Wheel
Oooooooofffff SALESMAN!

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
It all depends on what you like and how big of a storage space you need.

I just bought the Delta Compact panniers because they are exactly what I was looking for, so some they may be too small, etc.

https://www.amazon.com/Delta-Compact-...2866241&sr=1-1
Old 05-21-09, 10:40 PM
Sirrus Rider
Velocommuter Commando

Bikes: '88 Specialized Sirrus, '89 Alpine Monitor Pass, two '70 Raligh Twenties, '07 Schwinn Town & Country Trike, '07 Specialized Sirrus Hybrid

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by reson8u
I use the Jandd Hurricane Grocery Pannier. I usually don't commute in the rain, but I have been riding for fun in serious downpours and it is completely waterproof. The mechanism to attach to the rack did not like my slightly thicker tubing on my rack. I zip tied it to the bike (I do not need to take it off the bike). I got one of those reuseable canvas bags that they sell at the grocery store. I pack that in the house with everything that I need to take and then just drop (shove) the canvas bag in the pannier. It has an inside small pocket that I keep my keys and batteries for my lights. The rear of the pannier has some black reinforcement stitching with a small loop on it. I was able to thread a round metal keyring throught it, and hung a PBSF on it. It works great for my needs. I found it brand new on E-Bay for around $60, otherwise they retail for around $80. Good Luck
+1 on anything Jandd I use their mountain panniers and mine are 10 years old and still look pristine. They also have a lifetime guarantee!
Old 05-21-09, 10:54 PM
Yan 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1946 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 440 Posts
I have Axiom panniers too. They're affordable and they work. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them to a friend.