Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

I may give up on walking to work

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Old 01-30-18, 07:02 AM
Robert C

Bikes: This list got too long: several ‘bents, an urban utility e-bike, and a dahon D7 that my daughter has absconded with.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 48 Posts

Like the title says, I may give up on walking to work and start cycling. I have been cycling to work, at various locations, for about ten years; however, my work is now very close to where I live, about three blocks.

I decided to start walking for two reasons, the first is that it doesn't take much longer. The second is that I have been putting on a lot of weight lately (5'6" and about 225Lb).

Here is the problem; people just aren't looking for pedestrians. I never had as many close calls as I have started having while walking. The trouble is that the walk light puts me in the path of left turning cars behind me. It is one particular intersection.

That same intersection has put two of my co-workers in the hospital after being hit by cars. The intersection is a bit poorly designed. Because of a turn right before the intersection, people are entering it without having ample time to scan for hazards.

Like I said, I may reconsider the whole idea of walking and go back to my bicycle.
Old 01-30-18, 08:16 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by RobertC
Like the title says, I may give up on walking to work and start cycling. I have been cycling to work, at various locations, for about ten years; however, my work is now very close to where I live, about three blocks.

I decided to start I decided to start walking for two reasons, the first is that it doesn't take much longer. The second is that I have been putting on a lot of weight lately …

Here is the problem; people just aren't looking for pedestrians. I never had as many close calls as I have started having while walking. The trouble is that the walk light puts me in the path of left turning cars behind me. It is one particular intersection.

That same intersection has put two of my co-workers in the hospital after being hit by cars. The intersection is a bit poorly designed. Because of a turn right before the intersection, people are entering it without having ample time to scan for hazards.

Like I said, I may reconsider the whole idea of walking and go back to my bicycle.
How about wearing a rearview mirror. Like a Take-a-Look?

I once posted about feeling safe in traffic, cycling vs walking, to the thread, "Once again: Health VS Cycling Accidents"
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
…Of course I contend with their fears using many of those talking points as mentioned above. One soft argument I read on Bikeforums is that cycling in traffic really does look dangerous to car drivers ensconced in their vehicles. Personally I feel pretty safe, well-lit, with unlimited vision with mirrors, and pretty nimble on my bike. Nonetheless, I’m totally attentive to the cars around me, and I have a number of safety aphorisms in my mind to keep me alert…

Once though, I was standing on a busy intersection (Massachusetts and Commonwealth Aves) one Saturday night watching somehappy-go-lucky student-type cyclists on Hubway Bike Share bikes, no helmets, riding along and laughing in traffic, and I thought to myself that really does look dangerous.
As a usual pedestrian, and a cyclist, I actually feel more nimble as a walker on the mean streets of Boston. I would unlikely cycle for a short distance errand, since subways and taxis are more convenient, and I always bring my bike with me, i.e. I don’t carry a lock.

Not to be a braggart but, for a regular commute to work (mine is 14 miles) ,since I cycle for fitness, anything so short as three blocks would not be worth the trouble to ride.
Old 01-30-18, 10:18 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2594 Post(s)
Liked 1,922 Times in 1,206 Posts
Not quite sure how wearing a mirror will prevent cagers from hitting the pedestrian wearing it. Then again, I AM short-sighted!

To the O.P., have you considered walking down the block to the next intersection to cross the problem street? Yes, it might make your commute 5 blocks instead of 3, but you can probably handle that most days.
Old 01-30-18, 10:27 AM
Jim from Boston

Originally Posted by pdlamb
Not quite sure how wearing a mirror will prevent cagers from hitting the pedestrian wearing it. Then again, I AM short-sighted!...
As I understand the OP:
Originally Posted by Robert C
...Here is the problem; people just aren't looking for pedestrians. I never had as many close calls as I have started having while walking. The trouble is that the walk light puts me in the path of left turning cars behind me. It is one particular intersection…
How about wearing a rearview mirror. Like a Take-a-Look?
He could wear it on the left or right side, whichever is more convenient. When cycling I wear two.
Originally Posted by mc9000
While walking through a parking lot during my lunch break, I caught myself mindlessly looking for my "Take a Look" mirror a few times. I missed that ability to get a glimpse behind me without having to turn around.

Anybody else experience something like this with a bike or bike accessory tha tyou've really come to depend on?
Originally Posted by wphamilton
Why don't you wear it while walking?

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 01-30-18 at 10:47 AM.
Old 01-30-18, 10:51 AM
Robert C

Bikes: This list got too long: several ‘bents, an urban utility e-bike, and a dahon D7 that my daughter has absconded with.

When I ride my bicycle through that intersection I am part of the traffic, and I am seen. When it happens that I am driving through that intersection I am creeping along at under 15 mph; however, I have ridden with co-workers that go through the same intersection at 35, the posted limit.

The sight lines just don't allow faster travel; yet people do it anyways. The result is that in just two weeks of walking to work I have had as many close calls. As I mentioned, two of my co-workers have been hit hard enough to be hospitalized at that intersection. Our school has only been at this location for two years. A traffic light was installed; but it doesn't help walkers. As teachers we are walking to work before the "school zone" light go on.

As I mentioned, my apartment is only three blocks away; yet most of the teachers who live in the same complex drive. I know a couple who started out walking and now drive. For me, I consider driving to just be silly; however, as mentioned, I may consider going back to riding my bike.
Old 01-30-18, 11:01 AM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
Yes...I, too, often feel a bit safer on my bicycle than walking, particularly when certain intersections are involved.

The local problem is that some drivers do not understand that pedestrians with a walk signal have right of way over turning vehicles, but they do understand that things in the street going straight have the right of way over vehicles turning left. A lack of designated turn lanes and sporadic use of turn signals can make predicting driver behavior difficult. It's really not their fault; folks from rural areas are just not used to things like crosswalks and pedestrians.

At least on my bike, I've cut out half of the potential conflicts (vehicles turning right), and I have a fighting chance against the rest.
Old 01-30-18, 11:39 AM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
This sounds like what I went through last night. My commute is about 2 miles, and it takes about as long to walk as it does to ride when I factor in the changing clothes/packing etc.... I walked yesterday because it was easier for me - just grab my flashlight, put my lunch in my backpack and I'm ready - and I didn't want to worry about getting salt on my bike. I was crossing with the light within a crosswalk illuminated by a streetlight when a woman started to drive right towards me. Fortunately I was able to run out of her way and she missed me, but I'm not sure she saw me until I shined the light at her. She seemed genuinely surprised too, hopefully she'll be looking for others in the future.

One thing I found is that even though drivers aren't looking for pedestrians, a "1,000 lumen" flashlight makes enough light to get their attention when I'm crossing an intersection and they're not wanting to slow down. The other thing that helps is to have your phone out when you're crossing. Illinois has a law that says drivers are supposed to stop for pedestrians in the crosswalk and drivers switch from "f you and get out of the way" to panic braking when they see that their illegal behavior is being recorded. Or might be being recorded.

These signs help at crossings too, does Utah have the same law?
Old 01-31-18, 03:26 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7341 Post(s)
Liked 2,441 Times in 1,425 Posts
Those signs don't help in New Jersey. Drivers just zoom right through the crosswalks, even with pedestrians in them.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 01-31-18, 06:03 PM
khyricat

Bikes: hopefully a Sun Traditional Trike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
this is making me glad I live on the outskirts of Ann Arbor... in town there is a 150$ fine for not giving a walker their right of way or crossing while they are still in the road.. so people actually pay attention to pedestrians
Old 01-31-18, 07:09 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Originally Posted by khyricat
this is making me glad I live on the outskirts of Ann Arbor... in town there is a 150$ fine for not giving a walker their right of way or crossing while they are still in the road.. so people actually pay attention to pedestrians
I bet it's higher than that in New Jersey, but they just don't enforce it much. And when they do, the drivers get all indignant and complain about how the police have better things to do.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Old 01-31-18, 07:19 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2740 Post(s)
Liked 3,386 Times in 2,049 Posts
Mostly we pick those signs up after they've been run over.
Old 01-31-18, 07:48 PM
jon c. 

Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,017 Times in 571 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
Those signs don't help in New Jersey. Drivers just zoom right through the crosswalks, even with pedestrians in them.
Enforcement of the law might help. I've only seen those signs in the east for about a decade or so and haven't heard of much enforcement. Stopping for crosswalks just isn't part of the driving culture.

I lived in Arizona 35 years ago and stopping for pedestrians was ingrained behavior. The law was enforced and no signs were needed. Step into a the crosswalk and all traffic would stop.
Old 01-31-18, 07:55 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Originally Posted by jon c.
Enforcement of the law might help. I've only seen those signs in the east for about a decade or so and haven't heard of much enforcement. Stopping for crosswalks just isn't part of the driving culture.

I lived in Arizona 35 years ago and stopping for pedestrians was ingrained behavior. The law was enforced and no signs were needed. Step into a the crosswalk and all traffic would stop.
I find the problem to be intractable. I lived in NJ for 26 years. For the last ten years, I was active on a community forum, and we put our minds together and were not able to make any headway into the problem. The driving attitude is entitled. Enforcement can only go so far, and if the public doesn't agree that there's a problem, the police can't solve it. It seems like a lost cause. I moved out in 2013.

Old 01-31-18, 08:00 PM
bubbagrannygear
just ride

Bikes: specialized roubaix, dawes sst ( steel single speed)

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

These signs help at crossings too, does Utah have the same law?[/QUOTE]

Funny, but as a cyclist I generally find those signs annoying and potentially dangerous, since on a narrow road where a car might ride on, or go over, the center to give you a little more room, they no longer have the option. You are both squeezed into the narrow-ish lane. Even on normal width road the cars tend to ride a little closer to the shoulder than normal to make sure to avoid the obstruction in the middle.

I know if it's too narrow you're just supposed to take the lane but many are boarder-line narrow and I try to do my best to avoid annoying someone driving two thousand pound of steel.

The crosswalks are usually marked by standard signs on the side of the road so that should alert motorists. Would be interesting to see if any studies have been done on the effectiveness of the center line signs.
Old 02-01-18, 03:22 PM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
Originally Posted by bubbagrannygear

I know if it's too narrow you're just supposed to take the lane but many are boarder-line narrow and I try to do my best to avoid annoying someone driving two thousand pound of steel.
The intersection I was referring to allowed me to take pictures that included both the car and the sign, and I always crossed there in a way that kept me out of harm if the car didn't stop. People got mad, but they did stop. The police department being 2 blocks away probably helped here too.
Old 02-01-18, 04:55 PM
robertorolfo

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 113 Posts
NJ drivers are, um, special.
Old 02-01-18, 08:04 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Originally Posted by robertorolfo
I lived in NJ for 26 years. I have a lot of nice things to say about the place, but driving is where New Jerseyans earn their reputation.

Old 02-02-18, 07:23 AM
Jim from Boston

Originally Posted by robertorolfo
I lived in NJ for 26 years. I have a lot of nice things to say about the place, but driving is where New Jerseyans earn their reputation.
Hey, wait a minute. I’m from the Motor City, and good driving is in my blood.

"For the third year in a row, Massachusetts drivers were ranked the worst in the nation. This will hardly come as news to many of you."
Drivers in Boston were named the worst of the worst in autoinsurer Allstate’s annual “Best Drivers Report,” which ranks motorists in the 200 most populous cities in the country. Worcester followed in a close second—thatis, 199th—while Springfield placed 196th.

A Boston driver is 167.6 percent more likely to have anaccident than the national average, with a new accident every 7.1 years.Fortunately, that’s up from every 3.9 years, estimated in last year’s report.

On the whole, however, Massachusetts drivers are better than NewYork drivers, according to a July study by car insurance comparisoncompany EverQuote, which also deemed North Reading the safest place to drive in the Bay State.

The best drivers in the country can be found in Brownsville, Texas,according to Allstate’s findings. There, drivers go 14.6 years betweenaccidents. But give ’em a Storrow Drive (in Boston), and they’d crumble all the same.
See also:

Apropos of Sunday’s Superbowl of the New England Patriots vs Philadelphia Eagles:
The average Philadelphia driver gets into a crash every 6.2 years -- more often than motorists in any other large city and nearly all smaller ones.

Allstate Insurance's
annual driving report ranked Philadelphia's accident rate theworst among the country's largest cities, defined as those with populations above 1 million.

Among all 200 cities studied, Philadelphia ranked192nd. Philadelphia drivers are 61 percent more likely to be involved in a collision than the average driver nationally, Allstate says.

The report didn't have good news for drivers across the region: Four of the five Pennsylvania and New Jersey cities included in the survey ranked in the bottom fourth, with the fifth barely above that benchmark.

"We don’t want drivers in Philadelphia to be discouraged by theirranking," Allstate spokeswoman Julia Reusch said in a statement."Instead, we want the report to challenge drivers in Philadelphia to makepositive changes to their driving."…

Though Philadelphia ranked lowest among the country'sbiggest cities, several other major cities with smaller populations were among the few with worse rates.Drivers in Boston go just 4.4 years between crashes.Washington, D.C., motorists crash every 5.1 years, and Baltimore drivers crashevery 5.4 years. Worcester, Mass., had the worst rate in the nation,with drivers going an average of just 4.3 years between collisions.

Pittsburgh, the other Pennsylvania city studied, fared poorly. Drivers there get in crashes every 6.6 years, Allstate said, rankingthe city 187th.

Drivers in New Jersey cities studied also crash frequently. The report ranked Jersey City 152nd (7.8 years between crashes), Newark 180th (7.2 years between crashes) and Paterson 184th(6.9 years between crashes).
Gotta love being a cyclist in the Northeast Corridor.

BTW, my avatar is of the 52-story Prudential Center in Boston seen from our living room window. Offices in the Pru are illuminated to spell out “GO PATS,” from a previous Superbowl victory.

I previously had a picture that read 'GO SOX" from the World Series, but I can't find it. As a local radio commentator touts, (when it comes to our professional teams) "We win, but they lose."

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 02-02-18 at 08:03 AM.
Old 02-02-18, 07:52 AM
Robert C

Originally Posted by no motor?
These signs help at crossings too, does Utah have the same law?
I work in Kansas. I only get home on the holidays
Old 02-02-18, 09:25 AM
Worknomore

Bikes: Serotta CRL, Litespeed Blue Ridge, Bacchetta Ti Aero, Cannondale delta V, 67 Schwinn Sting Ray stick shift.

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
What i love the most about Seattle; you even start thinking about crossing the street, crosswalk or not. Traffic within a 3 block radius comes to a screeching halt.
Old 02-02-18, 09:37 AM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 471 Posts
Robert, could you just walk on the opposite sidewalk through that intersection?

A high vis wind breaker and a blinking light might help? At least the jacket?

Modifying Jim's mirror idea, maybe get a small cosmetics mirror that you can hold in your palm as you cross?

How is this intersection setup? No lights? Not a four-way stop?

Can you get a group of people to walk with?
Old 02-02-18, 10:00 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

The weird thing is that traffic in NYC is aggressive, but I find it easier to survive than other places. I'm not sure I'm ready to say NYC drivers are better than in other places, because it may simply be that I understand the dance and know how to do it.

Old 02-02-18, 11:28 AM
Robert C

Actually, I talked to the other guys who walk and came to a workable solution. It sounds backward; but it is simple.

The crosswalk button starts the light cycle. Just don't press the crosswalk button. Wait until there is no cross traffic and cross against the red. That way, if a car comes up to the left turn lane, they have a red light. It is simple and much safer (except that I am now crossing a street that displays a green light to 45mph traffic).
Old 02-02-18, 11:44 AM
Jim from Boston

The weird thing is that traffic in NYC is aggressive, but I find it easier to survive than other places. I'm not sure I'm ready to say NYC drivers are better than in other places, because it may simply be that I understand the dance and know how to do it.
As a social ballroom dancer, as well as urban commuter with years of lessons, may I say, "Well said."There was thread once about rural vs urban cycling, and a concensus was that urban cycling was safer, because of the congestion and slower speeds. Even with heavy traffic, I know the patterns of traffic, the "dance steps," and can anticipate the car's movements.

Earlier on this thread, I wrote:
…One soft argument I read on Bikeforums is that cycling in traffic really does look dangerous to car drivers ensconced in their vehicles. Personally I feel pretty safe, well-lit, with unlimited vision with mirrors, and pretty nimble on my bike. Nonetheless, I’m totally attentive to the cars around me, and I have a number of safety aphorisms in my mind to keep me alert…

Once though, I was standing on a busy intersection (Massachusetts andCommonwealth Aves) one Saturday night watching somehappy-go-lucky student-typecyclists on Hubway Bike Share bikes, no helmets, riding along and laughing intraffic, and I thought to myself that really does look dangerous.
An important aphorism I learned on BF is, "To know where a car is going, watch the front wheels, not the body or hood." though we don't watch our feet when we dance.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 02-02-18 at 12:26 PM.
Old 02-02-18, 02:03 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Originally Posted by Robert C
Actually, I talked to the other guys who walk and came to a workable solution. It sounds backward; but it is simple.

The crosswalk button starts the light cycle. Just don't press the crosswalk button. Wait until there is no cross traffic and cross against the red. That way, if a car comes up to the left turn lane, they have a red light. It is simple and much safer (except that I am now crossing a street that displays a green light to 45mph traffic).
Hey, if it works, great, even though it's weird.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.