Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

Looking for Bates Cantiflex and Diadrant tubing

Search
Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-24, 03:54 PM
Writenride 
Malcontent

Bikes: I honestly don't know...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 46 Posts

Hi,

I am looking for some Reynolds drawn 531 Tubing for Bates Cantiflex and Diadrant forks. Do you have any suggestions who has some to sell?

Thanks!
Old 04-06-24, 05:21 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,703 Times in 2,522 Posts
Is that the D shaped blades? I see people talking about them occasionally, but I imagine anyone that has some blades is hoarding them.
Old 04-06-24, 05:36 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4212 Post(s)
Liked 3,883 Times in 2,318 Posts
I'm not old enough to know from personal hands on but I strongly suspect that the fork blades are common, for that era, 531 blades. Likely a 28x16 oval and around 1.1-1.3mm wall at the top. Besides the top oval shape, what is also likely different from current blades is that the tips were often of small diameter for a longer portion of the blade's skinny end. All the easier to bend this or that way

I might have a pair of 531 blades still but old 531 sets come up on EBay every so often. Do you have the crown and steerer already? Andy
Old 04-06-24, 06:39 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

I don't think I'm old enough to have bought any of them either. If only ebay had been around in the mid-70's. But looking at those bikes online it sure looks like the blades are d-shaped. Of course, the first thing that gained my attention was the weird rake. I don't know if you can make a regular blade look right. I don't even know how many 531 straight blades are out there of that vintage. I also wonder where you would get a crown.

I think we need an opinion from bulgie on this one.
Old 04-06-24, 07:21 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4212 Post(s)
Liked 3,883 Times in 2,318 Posts
Or Doug Fattic. I forgot about the "D" cross sectional shape being a possibility. I know I have none of those blades in my small stash. Andy
Old 04-06-24, 08:55 PM
Doug Fattic 
framebuilder

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 615 Post(s)
Liked 1,916 Times in 656 Posts
i have some Reynolds D shaped fork blades and matching crowns. They vary in rake and curve. In addition I have steerers from the same era. I got them with some of the framebuilding stuff I acquired when Johnny Berry's widow sold me a lot of her husband/s equipment.in 1975. I presume they are pre-WW-II
Likes For Doug Fattic:
Old 04-07-24, 08:06 PM
vintage cellar

Bikes: 1970 Alex Singer, 63 Hetchins, 75 Motobecane Townie, more . . .

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Might we inquire as to WHY you would want that stuff ?

The old-timers I knew who rode Cantiflex said it rode rough and was not an improvement in any way over regular tubing. Just a gimmick in a long-ago era when gimmicks were what we now call "marketing BS".

If you just want it for novelty's sake, well fine. That sort of old stuff sometimes used to show up in the early to late 1990's. You might try and track down Hilary Stone in England. He is supposed to be retired but who knows what he might still have,
or know of.

I think Bates had an exclusive on those quirky designs and I've never seen or heard of Reynolds offering it up as a standard catalog item.

Good Luck !
Old 04-10-24, 10:03 AM
PromptCritical 

Bikes: Paramount Track Bike, Colnago Super, Santana Tandems (1995 & 2007), Gary Fisher Piranha, Trek Wahoo, Bianchi Track Bike, a couple of Honda mountain bikes

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 20 Posts
Maybe https://framebuildersupply.com
Old 04-19-24, 02:54 PM
bulgie 
blahblahblah chrome moly

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1181 Post(s)
Liked 2,577 Times in 1,077 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
I think we need an opinion from bulgie on this one.
Haha, I'm not that old! I doubt there were any cantiflex tubes made after the 1950s. Chances of finding unused NOS tubes? Less than zero is my guess.

They were larger diameter in the middle and smaller at the ends (to fit in standard lugs), seems like a dumb idea to me.

Pretty sure the diadrant forks were oval not D section. Probably the rapid-taper style where more of the length is small diameter suitable for bending. Another dumb idea.
Old 04-19-24, 04:17 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

That wasn't a comment on your age, because I'm pretty sure I'm older than you. But rather your interest in all the old, strange bike parts.
Likes For unterhausen: