Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

Should I get a professional fitting without my bike present?

Search
Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Should I get a professional fitting without my bike present?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-19, 01:08 PM
buttman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Could I get a professional fitting without my bike present? If so, should I?

I live abroad but I'm currently home for the holidays and was thinking about getting a bike fitting while I'm back. I feel more comfortable getting the fitting here instead of the country where I live (it's a developing country and I just don't have a lot of faith in the quality of a bike fitting here, if I could even find a place that does it), but I don't have my bike with me. The guy at one bike shop uses a system where they have a contraption that can be set to mimic the specs of almost any frame size. He said I could do it without my bike and then make the adjustments on my own as long I as I know my frame dimensions (I do), but I don't know how feasible that is. I went to another shop and they said it's not a good idea to do it without my bike, but they use a different system than the guy who said I can. So is it ok to get a bike fitting without my bike or should I just do it in the country where I live? The guy at the first shop seems really knowledgeable and the fitting seems really in-depth, but it's $250 and I'm afraid of spending that money then not being able to set my bike according to my fitting. What do you guys think? Should I take the chance or should I just keep searching for a decent place in the country where I live?

Last edited by buttman; 12-27-19 at 01:17 PM. Reason: Added more detail/clarification
Old 12-27-19, 01:47 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3886 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
I think it's completely feasible. After the fitting have the fitter help you take all the measurements you'll need to transfer the fit to your bike. Make sure the crank length on the contraption is set to the same as your bike's cranks. The saddle may be different, too. If possible use a saddle that's similar to yours and adjust it for similar angle as best you can. Another thing which could possibly go wrong would be that the bars on the contraption can't be set to the same height as the bars on your bike, and of course vice versa.

Many people when acquiring a new to them bike simply transfer the measurements in the same way.