Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Erie Canal Bike Tour. A great 5 day ride.

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Erie Canal Bike Tour. A great 5 day ride.

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-20, 11:54 AM
fork crown

Bikes: SURLY LHT, 1984 Pinarello (Vintage Campy Nuovo Record), Jamis XAM-1 MTB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks for the video, I enjoyed it very much. Did this in 2017 solo and had a blast. Had to bail on route 5 sometimes because it rained 4 of the 6 days I was out there. Yuk. But have very fond memories despite the rain.
Old 02-05-20, 05:43 PM
DW_Thomas

Bikes: Cannondale Quick 5

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I wasn't cycling at the time, but Faire Spouse and I hit Canaltown Days in Palmyra, NY once when up that way. Lottsa food and activity. Alas, I note the fine print excludes bikes from the actual festival grounds.
Old 02-05-20, 07:46 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
This is an underappreciated rail trail. seemingly overshadowed by the C&O & GAP. I have ridden both and I far prefer the Erie Canal as it is more scenic, has more variety and a lot more interesting small towns along the way for lunch choices.
Old 02-06-20, 08:44 AM
Rob_E

Bikes: Downtube 8H, Surly Troll

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by dwmckee
This is an underappreciated rail trail. seemingly overshadowed by the C&O & GAP. I have ridden both and I far prefer the Erie Canal as it is more scenic, has more variety and a lot more interesting small towns along the way for lunch choices.
I like the isolated feel of the C&O, and I felt the GAP had some of the best scenery, but it's all grouped at the the ends of the trail. There's a hundred miles in the middle where you've got a river on one side and hill rising up on the other side. Beautiful, but monotonous after a while. Still, both feel more secluded than the Erie, which I appreciate and enjoy. That said, I very much liked that the Erie Canal was an active canal. Boats, operational locks. You pass through a lot more towns, which is good and bad, but overall the Erie Canal trail feels like it's intertwined with the local transportation, whereas the other trails feel like you've left the "real" world behind. There'a lot to be said for that. If I were going to pick one of those trails to live near (and ignore any weather concerns), I think it'd be the Erie Canal trail. For a vacation, I would still give an edge to the other two. Fortunately, I don't have to choose.
Old 02-06-20, 08:14 PM
smudgy

Bikes: Miyata 1000, Trek 520, Surly Troll, Surly Cross Check

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 77 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Rob_E
I like the isolated feel of the C&O, and I felt the GAP had some of the best scenery, but it's all grouped at the the ends of the trail. There's a hundred miles in the middle where you've got a river on one side and hill rising up on the other side. Beautiful, but monotonous after a while. Still, both feel more secluded than the Erie, which I appreciate and enjoy. That said, I very much liked that the Erie Canal was an active canal. Boats, operational locks. You pass through a lot more towns, which is good and bad, but overall the Erie Canal trail feels like it's intertwined with the local transportation, whereas the other trails feel like you've left the "real" world behind. There'a lot to be said for that. If I were going to pick one of those trails to live near (and ignore any weather concerns), I think it'd be the Erie Canal trail. For a vacation, I would still give an edge to the other two. Fortunately, I don't have to choose.
I rode the GAP and C&O in 2012. Another great long distance trail. You're basically riding through the woods for 100's of miles with brief openings when you go through towns. There's always shade, the trees knock down the wind and I like being away from motorized traffic. But after 3 or 4 days it felt like riding through a "Green Tunnel". There was a short section in Maryland that was under construction, so I had to detour off the path onto roads. It was actually kind of refreshing to get out of the green tunnel and see some of the countryside for a change. On the Erie Canal, it never felt like a green tunnel.

The Green Tunnel. The GAP Trail.

Last edited by smudgy; 02-07-20 at 08:44 PM. Reason: mistake
Old 02-07-20, 07:12 AM
DCwom

Bikes: Burley Tandem

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by smudgy
I rode the GAP and C&O in 2012. Another great long distance trail. You're basically riding through the woods for 100's of miles with brief openings when you go through towns. There's always shade, the trees knock down the wind and I like being away from motorized traffic. But after 3 or 4 days it felt like riding through a "Green Tunnel". There was a short section in Maryland that was under construction, so I had to detour off the path onto roads. It was actually kind of refreshing to get out of the green tunnel and see some of the countryside for a change. On the Erie Canal, it never felt like a green tunnel.

The Green Tunnel. C&O Trail.
We've ridden both the Erie & GAP, I liked them both, they have different personalities, my wife perfected the GAP. I agree that the GAP sometimes felt like a green tunnel, too many trees block the views, there were sections, where you could hear the river below you but not see it, you knew you were climbing but had that false hill affect where everything looked level in the forest. The GAP has some neat engineering artifacts, trestles, tunnels, etc. There are fewer towns on the GAP requiring more planning for CC touring at the B&Bs, leaving the GAP for lodging usually means a step climb out of the river valley. The Erie has its own engineering artifacts from a different era and a lot of history, there are more open space sections, farm land, and of course the canal, its always there next to you. Lodging on the Erie was a bit easier, more towns as others have said, but the lodging was more generic, the B&Bs on the GAP exist because of the GAP, so you're staying "on premise" in a way, your fellow B&B guests are also traveling on the GAP.
Old 02-13-20, 01:36 AM
ricrunner

Bikes: Malvern Star Oppy S1 Gravel

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
I love watching American video's, because I will never get to ride there, but keeps me informed on the beautiful riding that is available to you guys, compared to here in OZ. I like the style and professionalism of the video, will watch more as you post them. Cheers.
Old 02-13-20, 10:49 PM
smudgy

Bikes: Miyata 1000, Trek 520, Surly Troll, Surly Cross Check

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 77 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by ricrunner
I love watching American video's, because I will never get to ride there, but keeps me informed on the beautiful riding that is available to you guys, compared to here in OZ. I like the style and professionalism of the video, will watch more as you post them. Cheers.
I get to retire in 3 years and Australia and New Zealand are definitely on my to-do list.This summer though, I'm thinking Pacific Coast Highway. Lord willing. The following summer, Alaska. More videos to come.
Old 12-19-20, 09:06 PM
cfbiker

Bikes: Vintage Gios Torino Super Record, 2018 Fuji Touring, Brooks B17 Special

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thumbs up... really enjoyed the video and I hope you've posted other gems for me to find! I'll add the Erie Canal to my bucket list!