Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Downsized and out

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Downsized and out

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-20, 01:20 PM
alo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
A group of us that were remote workers just got downsized out of a job. We were contract workers in the corporate world, and were all shocked when we got canned. Tired of corp work and thinking of doing something completely out of the wheelhouse, driving a truck or delivery vehicle! Won't be making the money, but have very low cost of living so it won't be a hardship. At 60 it may be tough to convince someone to take me on. Anyone out there change horses in the middle of the stream? Tips and suggestions?
With delivery jobs, when someone leaves, they need someone else straight away. Tomorrows work must get done. So if you happen to enquire about a job just when someone leaves, you are likely to get it. If nobody leaves, there are no jobs available.

You need to be smart enough to pick up the new skills quickly. For example, an important part of driving a truck is being able to secure the load. See what others do, analyse your load, and ensure it is secure. If things fall over or fall off, you may not be at the job long.
Old 02-13-20, 01:48 PM
Eric S.

Bikes: '04 LeMond Buenos Aires, '82 Bianchi Nuova Racing, De Rosa SLX, Bridgestone MB-1, Guerciotti TSX, Torpado Aelle, LeMond Tourmalet 853, Bridgestone Radac

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 36 Posts
I made a living as a musician (trumpet) my adult life but the entertainment landscape changed in Las Vegas and there is no living to be made performing anymore unless you're married to someone with a good job. It took a long time but I finally got a job working security that pays pretty well with good benefits. I commute on bike to work about 25 miles round trip and often spend the entire shift patrolling the property on bike so I'm likely riding about 200 miles/week, though a good chunk of that is not exactly "training". Still, at 53 I've got more stamina for the job than some of the people more than 1/2 my age. A couple guys call me The Terminator.

As many job listings as there are, I got almost no responses to inquiries and only got an interview for my current job because of my wife knowing someone already there. It's tough to start over.
Likes For Eric S.:
Old 02-13-20, 01:54 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,584 Times in 2,344 Posts
just found out one of our divisions was forced to merge with a giant competitor. it was either that or lose that division's customers altogether. at least now we'll be able to keep some of that cash flow & those employees will keep their jobs. was a tough choice for the owner. my division is unaffected. but the same can certainly happen to my division I suppose
Old 02-14-20, 09:14 AM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
Wow. There must be some kind of screening and job requirements?
yes there is a screening. It's essentially a temp company that specializes filling substitute jobs, both short term and long term. The company is Kelly Services

Most people, if they are certified, will go ahead and work full time, I mean why not? The certified subs around here are retired teachers who have kept their certificate current, I get that. But in my county alone, I'm guessing over 100 people are needed daily, and that figure probably goes to 200 on Fridays.

No way we could have 200 certified teachers on stand by.

You need no college degree either, a lot of college kids do it
Old 02-14-20, 09:15 AM
vinfix
Steel80's

Bikes: Breezer Venturi, Breezer Lightning Pro, Schwinn Peloton

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
What kind of work were you doing? I would encourage you to set your sights a little higher than driving a truck. A good contract job is better than a bad "permanent" job. I know it's no comfort, but getting laid off comes with the territory with contract jobs. The flip side is, you have flexibility, and you can go get another one! And if you get laid off again, you'll still have made double what you would have dropping off packages or people.

The dirty little secret of a lot of big corporations is as much as 2/3'ds of the staff is temporary, so the headcount doesn't get reported to Wall Street and they can cut people loose.When I was younger I spent a lot my engineering career as a contractor. A lot of the contract guys I ran into were older, and had been laid off from some big company. Some of the capital equipment manufacturers were predominately staffed with "job shoppers", designers and engineers that had a job as long as there was a project.
Old 02-14-20, 09:18 AM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
Schools here don't even have all of the full time teachers in their schools 100% certified. There is a teacher shortage here, and I'm betting everywhere
Likes For Flip Flop Rider:
Old 02-14-20, 09:18 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18378 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
Local delivery jobs often have a lifting requirement. I don't know about long-haul, but make sure you are up for the job requirements.

I could imagine driving 3 or 4 hours a day, but don't think I'd be up to driving 12+ hours a day.
Old 02-14-20, 02:31 PM
Gravity Aided

Bikes: Trek 600 ,1980Raleigh Competition G.S., 1986 Schwinn Passage, Facet Biotour 2000, Falcon San Remo 531,Schwinn Sierra, Sun Seeker tricycle recumbent,1985 Bianchi Squadra

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
I've been driving shuttle buses for a major corporation. I've done that since I was in photo lab management. That photo gig went kaput about 16years ago. I've been driving since. Good work, nice job. Some older fellows around here deliver rental cars, or drive for medical transaction companies.
Old 02-15-20, 09:28 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 874 Post(s)
Liked 2,290 Times in 1,279 Posts
In 1985 I had a great job at an aerospace company with good benefits. After 12 years with the company(I started in 1973) , I decided to start my own tool grinding shop and quit the factory. My co workers thought I was nuts as I was somewhat tenured into my journeyman position. A few years after I left, the factory shut down and most people couldn't find work. I am still at it doing my own thing and I will say "it ain't the easy way to go", but my skill is still in demand and I do OK. I am now getting my retirement check every month and that covers my supplement health plan. I can't imagine starting a new profession at 65 years old , but you have to do whatever is necessary to make it and I would. Joe
Old 02-16-20, 10:04 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,065 Times in 1,081 Posts
I was downsized at 57, though I did get a severance package that took the sting off. It took me seven months of applying around the country, but I eventually landed a job in my field in Texas. A year later I found a similar job in the PNW, where I wanted to live in the first place. There are companies out there looking for experience and talent, and are willing to look past grey hair.

OTOH, one of the engineering contractors who works with me now told me his secret of continuing contract employment into his late 60's: hair dye.

I can understand wanting to get out of the corporate game, but I think there are ways to control the timing yourself.
Old 02-17-20, 12:53 PM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Bikes: 1995 Trek 800 Sport, aka, "CamelTrek"

Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 282 Posts
School paraprofessionals are permanent and make more than sub teachers.
Old 02-18-20, 04:22 AM
alloo

Bikes: 2022 Priority Coast, 2022 Priority Current

Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 99 Posts
You could become a bus operator. Most transit districts will train you, but be aware of mandatory overtime. You could work for a rent a car place shuttling cars. Costco is another option. Good luck! Maybe you could enjoy your time off daily and do what you've always wanted to do now that you have the time. You would be surprised how much your expenses go down when you stop eating out and live a simple life. Being a senior in some places look for the discounts and deals at recreation centers...etc. I wish you well as we all get old at some point in our life.