Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Commuting tubeless

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Commuting tubeless

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-17, 06:30 AM
boomerangride

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Commuting tubeless

Hey,

How "confident" would you be when commuting in tubeless set-up?

I have a wheelset with ZTR rims, tubeless tyres, and sealant in.
I ride 30mm tyres, and inflate to ~4 bar.

I have a daily 2x10 km commute.
I naver had a flat in 3 months, but how confident would *you* feel in this set-up?

Enough not to carry spare tube and pump?
Enough not to carry spare tube and pump but have one at the office so that in the worst case I only have to walk 5km to get to a repairing place?
Not confident enough to ride without repairing gear?
Old 05-16-17, 06:45 AM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Carrying a spare tube and co2 is so little effort I would continue to carry it until I'd gone for a couple years without needing it.
Old 05-16-17, 07:35 AM
srestrepo

Bikes: 2016 Felt Z85 105, 2016 GT Grade Sora

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
so lets say you decide to carry the tube and co2/pump. what happens if you do get a flat? now you have to clear out the liquid inside the tire and insert a tube and pump it up? seems messy but also, i dont run tubeless so i'm not really even sure how it works. i just go with the pump and tube method and i run gatorskins

if someone else wants to comment though, i'd be curious as to their experiences were.
Old 05-16-17, 10:18 AM
HardyWeinberg
GATC

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
I have generally found, commuting tubeless, that the sealant patches a hole before it loses enough air to need to refill it, so I just keep riding on a slightly squishier tire and top it off when I get home.

That said, I definitely ride with a tube and CO2. In general I hate CO2 so a situation where I won't have to use it is the best... My frame pumps are full-sized and not a great fit for this bike and the backpack I wear while commuting on it.

After 2 summers of commuting tubeless, with a 3rd coming up, I am still on the fence about it. Spraying sealant all over the bike while it seals up is a pretty spectacular sticky mess. But it is totally cool when it works (which is almost always).
Old 05-16-17, 11:38 AM
Podagrower

Bikes: Giant Defy Composite, Spechialized Ruby (hers), Niner RLT9, Miyata 712, Condor ??

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 19 Posts
I wouldn't commute without a spare tube and pump, but I also ride my commuter long distance on the weekends, and my commute home might turn into a 35 mile ride. I have a plug kit and tire boots on the bike also, because I hate walking. My standard commute is 12 miles, for 10 KM, I probably would think of ditching the tube and pump.
Old 05-16-17, 11:51 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,470 Times in 1,435 Posts
I still use inner tubes. My rule for myself is that I have to be prepared for at least one flat if I'm going more than three miles. I generally am ready for two or more flats.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 05-16-17, 11:55 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
A few years ago I considered it. I looked for people's stories about getting a flat or needing a tube. Generally it happened when they let their sealant dry out. And that's why I ultimately didn't convert, because I am lazy about that kind of thing. Occasions where the tubeless sealant failed to work were rarer and usually involved serious damage to the tire.

Tubeless is getting better all the time. Schwalbe's line improved with the Snakeskin/Microskin Tubeless Easy, and will improve again this year with their new tread compounds (they hired the rubber chemist who developed the Black Chili compound for Continental).
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 05-16-17, 12:09 PM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
I ALWAYS bring flat fixing stuff on any ride outside easy walking distance.
Has nothing to do with trusting the tires. The world is a random place, and flats can happen anytime.
Old 05-16-17, 12:10 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,432 Times in 2,539 Posts
If tubeless goes flat, it will usually be catastrophically so, like a big sidewall gash, so you would need a boot as well as a tube and pump/c02.

Although if you do put a tube in, you don't have to clear out the sealant. Some will leak out of its own accord, you can pour/shake/wipe out as much more as you want, but you won't get it all so there's not much point trying. Just slap the tube in, it won't care that it's wet.

I think after 3 mo, I would have the confidence to not carry anything. Sure, maybe the risk is once/year you have to walk 5km and end up late for work. People that drive cars also sometimes have car trouble and are late to work. Depending on your work, judging the impact of that risk is up to you.

What's the point of tubeless if not to free you from carrying the extra gear? BUT, if you're carrying anything at all, it's not much more to have a road pump on the bike and carry a tube, so...

How about this option: get a small road pump and fresh tube, put them in a ziplock baggie, and hide/bury them under a bush about halfway along your commute.
Old 07-24-17, 01:18 PM
Metaluna

Bikes: Niner RLT 9 RDO, Gunnar Sport, Soma Saga, Workswell WCBR-146

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
A few years ago I considered it. I looked for people's stories about getting a flat or needing a tube. Generally it happened when they let their sealant dry out. And that's why I ultimately didn't convert, because I am lazy about that kind of thing. Occasions where the tubeless sealant failed to work were rarer and usually involved serious damage to the tire.

Tubeless is getting better all the time. Schwalbe's line improved with the Snakeskin/Microskin Tubeless Easy, and will improve again this year with their new tread compounds (they hired the rubber chemist who developed the Black Chili compound for Continental).
Sorry to bump this thread, but I've been trying to figure out whether my new set of Schwalbe Marathon Supremes have the TL-Easy/Microskin technology or not. There's nothing on the box(es) that mention it one way or another (though it does say "Evolution", but I'm not sure that implies TL-Easy). I'm also not sure if there are separate SKUs for the tubeless-ready versions, or if it's just an upgrade that all the new ones have, in which case I need to know when they were manufactured. There are some codes silk screened onto the insides of the tires themselves but I'm not sure how to read them.
Old 07-24-17, 01:25 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

If you check the product page, they do list one evolution model (27.5x3.25) that doesn't say "TL Easy", but I bet that's a typo. However, I think it was only this year or last year that Schwalbe started calling their road/touring tires TL Easy, it's possible that you bought old stock. Then again, I don't know if Schwalbe actually made changes to the tires, or if they were generally tubeless-able before, and they just guarantee/advertise it now.

In other words, I don't know much...
Old 07-25-17, 09:13 AM
HardyWeinberg
GATC

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
I am commuting tubeless right now (28mm tires ~80 psi), definitely with tube and CO2. I hate CO2 though. Need to just put a frame pump in my backpack.
Old 07-25-17, 10:34 AM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Well, you always need a plan B.

I have been commuting tubless about a year, and have commuted with tubes for decades. That said, most of my tubed flats were pinch flats, and that doesn't happen with tubeless. On the very rare occasion when I get something imbedded into the (rear) tire, its always something that sealant would work well on.

I can think of once where a rock scuffed up my sidewall and caused a flat with tubes. With Tubeless sealant wouldn't fix that (due to location and size). That would require an inner tube or a plug.

Tubeless sealant won't fix anything but a tiny hole. Leaving the debris in the tire until I get home has helped the sealant work (i.e. if it is a nail, don't pull it out).

I have a plug kit to plug up holes that are too big for sealant. I've used it dozens of times on automotive tires, but haven't had the need to use it yet on the bicycle.
Old 07-25-17, 02:22 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Considering ghetto tubeless again today, after I found my flat fix last night must have gotten the worst hole but there's another smaller one somewhere.
Old 07-26-17, 08:34 AM
srestrepo

Bikes: 2016 Felt Z85 105, 2016 GT Grade Sora

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
have you guys seen the new, i think, mavic tires that are supposed to be tubeless. i guess you can pump them up with a regular pump, nothing special required.

i wonder if that would be to any benefit to commuting tubless. i got a flat the other day in the pouring rain and sucked and now i'm considering going tubeless also...
Old 07-26-17, 08:51 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Originally Posted by srestrepo
have you guys seen the new, i think, mavic tires that are supposed to be tubeless. i guess you can pump them up with a regular pump, nothing special required.
Sounds interesting -- link?
Old 07-26-17, 09:23 AM
Abe_Froman

Bikes: Marin Four Corners, 1960's Schwinn Racer in middle of restoration, mid 70s Motobecane Grand Touring, various other heaps.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 9347 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 51 Posts

i wonder if that would be to any benefit to commuting tubless. i got a flat the other day in the pouring rain and sucked and now i'm considering going tubeless also...
Old 07-26-17, 11:37 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

That's a really cool video, I enjoyed it. Very impressed by the ease of mounting and inflating.
Old 07-26-17, 01:23 PM
asmac

Bikes: Salsa Vaya

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I went tubeless about six weeks ago with 700/40 Schwalbe Almotions on Dyad rims. So far so good and I must say these are the nicest tires I've ever ridden on. Very smooth and energy efficient with good traction. I was steered in this direction by www.rollingresistance.com which tests tires and gave their top rating to Almotions, way ahead of many smaller, lighter tires.

I still pack a pump and tube as I really hate to be stuck on the road and it's a small price to pay for the knowledge I can fix it. The day I leave it behind is the day I'll need it.
Old 07-26-17, 01:36 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Interesting. I ride Dyads, I bought the wheelset in 2012, when tubeless was less of a thing (or at least I was less aware of it). Are your Dyads new and/or officially labeled as tubeless-ready?

Sadly, my brand new tires are not marked with Schwalbe's "Tubless-easy" endorsement, but someday soon I'll be mixing up some homebrew sealant, and may give them a try (after I get the mountain bikes situated)
Old 07-26-17, 01:44 PM
asmac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by RubeRad
Interesting. I ride Dyads, I bought the wheelset in 2012, when tubeless was less of a thing (or at least I was less aware of it). Are your Dyads new and/or officially labeled as tubeless-ready?

Sadly, my brand new tires are not marked with Schwalbe's "Tubless-easy" endorsement, but someday soon I'll be mixing up some homebrew sealant, and may give them a try (after I get the mountain bikes situated)

The tires are "tubeless easy" but the rims are a similar age as yours and were not labeled for tubeless use. I picked up some valves, Joe's sealant and tubeless tape from Chainreaction and that was about it. I did have to take them to a tire shop to get them blown on with a compressor and it was a bit messy for a few seconds but other than that no problem.
Old 07-26-17, 07:58 PM
asmac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

FWIW it's only the initial tire seating that requires a good blast of air, just as it does with car tires. After that, the sealant does its thing and the tires only need normal pumping unless they come right off the rim.
Old 07-27-17, 08:12 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

If you have a tubeless rim, yes. The ghetto tubeless setup probably won't seat as securely or easily.
Old 07-27-17, 08:22 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Originally Posted by asmac
FWIW it's only the initial tire seating that requires a good blast of air, just as it does with car tires. After that, the sealant does its thing and the tires only need normal pumping unless they come right off the rim.
Right but watch the video, these mavic tires/wheels only need a regular floor pump for the initial seating
Old 07-27-17, 08:56 AM
asmac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by RubeRad
Right but watch the video, these mavic tires/wheels only need a regular floor pump for the initial seating
Saw that and don't know how Mavic does it except that the manufacturing must be very precise. It's quite remarkable. I was (unclearly) referring to my setup with ordinary rims and tubeless ready tires.

Also, in case it wasn't clear, I didn't go the ghetto route (i.e. an inner tube stretched over the rim to act as a seal) but just taped up the dyad rims and used them as-is with tubeless valves.

Last edited by asmac; 07-27-17 at 09:07 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.