Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Favero Assioma power pedals

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 02-16-20, 12:06 PM
bmcer

Bikes: Full campy Record EPS BMC Team Machine slr01, Canyon CF SL 8.0 Endurance

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 66 Posts

Just wondering if anyone has had any hands on experience with the Duo version of these pedal based power meters? I'm still using a 2013 vintage set of Garmin Vector (the first iteration single sided version), and they're getting difficult to pair up as well as suffering frequent random drop-outs. The reviews I've of the Assioma's have been pretty positive and the 2 sided version is much more affordable than the Vector 3 and they have both BTS and ANT+ connectivity. My only real concern is how well these things will pair up with a Garmin Edge 530 and my Zwift indoor rig. Thanks.
Old 02-16-20, 08:44 PM
timfromfc

Bikes: 60th Anniversary Schwinn Paramount Ti

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a set and they work great. Definitely a solid value. I’ve never had any issues pairing them to my Edge 530.
Old 02-16-20, 10:35 PM
texbiker

Bikes: Cervelo Caledonia Rival AXS eTap, Blue Norcross AL, Lynskey Helix

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 81 Posts
I will receive a UNO pedal set later this week. I am looking forward to finding how they work.
Old 02-17-20, 04:15 AM
aplcr0331
Hear myself getting fat

Bikes: Sir Velo A Sparrow

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked 265 Times in 134 Posts
I’ve not seen many complaints about them, and they’re very popular. Pretty sure they’re favorably endorsed by DC Rainmaker and GPlama, if that’s of value to you.

Most reviews I’ve seen are on the dual sided set.
Old 02-17-20, 04:34 PM
bmcer

Thanks for all the input y'all. On the strength of that and the Rainmaker review, I placed an order today. They should be here before the end of the week, and I'll report back once I've got them up and running. BTW, got the Duo. Due to an old injury, I have a marked difference in R vs L leg strength, so I'm thinking the 2-sided read out might be useful.
Old 02-17-20, 09:13 PM
atwl77
Kamen Rider

Bikes: Fuji Transonic Elite, Marechal Soul Ultimate, Dahon Dash Altena

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 164 Posts
Works great with the Edge 1030.
Old 02-18-20, 12:37 PM
bmcer

Speaking of the having access to R vs L data, does anyone know which Garmin Edge is the least expensive that includes "advanced cycling dynamics"? Thanks
Old 02-19-20, 05:12 AM
atwl77
Kamen Rider

Bikes: Fuji Transonic Elite, Marechal Soul Ultimate, Dahon Dash Altena

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 164 Posts
Edge 520, based on this chart:
https://www.gpscentral.ca/products/g...isonchart.html
Old 02-20-20, 02:46 PM
bmcer

Update:
Big Brown dropped off my new Assioma Duo power pedals today. Got them unboxed and mounted without issue. One whole helluva lot easier than installing the old, first gen Vectors. The Assioma app on my iPhone worked as advertised. After it correctly identified and activated both pedals, I connected the chargers to the pedals and gave things an hour or so to charge up. Have no idea where the charge was at out of the box, but 60 minutes was enough to get them up to a 100% charge. I tried do a zero offset calibration a couple times, but it failed both times. Upon reading the instructions more carefully, I realized I needed to get on the bike and spin up to 80 - 90 rpm for a minute or to the give the pedals chance to settle in and establish it's "angles" (?). After that, the zero offset cal worked perfectly. Next, I tried to pair them up with my ancient Edge 810. Surprise, surprise! The 810 found the Assioma's and paired right up to both of them. Got on the trainer and did some sustained runs at an indicated 150 +/- watts. The "feel" of the resistance vs power output was indistinguishable from the effort required to get my old Vector pedals to show the same wattage. Hardly what you'd call a scientific procedure, but it made me happy. Next, I tried pairing the up with Zwift and again, no problems at all. Took a brief ride, and once again the indicated output in watts matched up well with my perceived effort level. Now look folks, at 72 y/o. it's not like I'm training for the next Grand Tour, but I am the sort of geek who likes to track his performance over time. My little incremental improvements keep me motivated and the data trend over time help let me know when it might be wise to take a rest day or when maybe I've taken a few too many. So I'm not looking for absolute numeric accuracy so much as I'm interested in trends over time. So exact accuracy isn't enough of an issue for me to go to all the trouble of constructing and executing some kind of accuracy test against a known "standard". Bottom line, I'm very happy with my purchase so far. I certainly met my expectations (although that left leg doesn't seem to be as lame as I thought ). I'll of course need to use them for a few months before I can say I'd recommend them to friends, but the early indicators are very positive.
Likes For bmcer:
Old 02-21-20, 09:32 AM
texbiker

I received my Uno pedals yesterday. I purchased them direct from Favero and FedEx tried to deliver them on Wednesday, a day early, and I missed the driver.

Installation was easy. Activation with the app was also easy. I paired the Uno with my Wahoo Elemnt computer and now all I need is decent weather to go fro a ride. It looks like that may be Sunday.
Old 02-24-20, 02:09 PM
Notso_fastLane

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 418 Posts
bmcer: I'm curious, why are you replacing your old power meters with the newer ones (although it sounds like these are way easier to use)?

I've been looking at them for a while, but I have a few other pricey upgrades before I get a set of these.
Old 02-24-20, 10:47 PM
bmcer

The Garmin Vector S (first iteration) the Assioma are replacing was essentially a dead end. It only spoke ANT+, and not very reliably at that. Random drop outs with both an Edge 810 and Zwift that were getting longer despite installing fresh batteries. The only reasonable Garmin upgrade path is the Vector 3S, and for an extra $150 plus/minus the Assioma's give me the Duo option.And I'm just geek enough like the idea of being able to track L vs R independently.
Likes For bmcer:
Old 02-24-20, 11:13 PM
Notso_fastLane

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 418 Posts
FWIW, at least one trainer I know says every rider should at least ride with a dual power meter for a short time. Almost everyone has little bad habits that are practically invisible without something as accurate as a good power meter, and that's one of the best ways to untrain those bad habits, even if you don't always have a PM available.
Old 02-26-20, 05:41 AM
biketampa
I don’t live in Tampa

Bikes: 2014 Jamis Ventura Race, 2014 Cervelo P2, 2017 Raleigh Tamland 1, 2015 Jamis Trail X

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 31 Posts
I have the favero Assioma duos. Great pedals. No issues.
Old 02-26-20, 08:44 AM
AndrewJB

Bikes: FUJI Transonic 2.3; Motobecane LeChampion TI SL; Trek 2.3

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 22 Posts
Got a set of the Duo two weeks ago. Setup is quick & easy. Sync'd up with my Yahoo Elemnt Bolt no problem.
Perfect if you have multiple (n+1) bikes, and don't want to buy a PM for each. Comes with a nice beefy hex wrench.
Don't forget to set the Zero Offset regularly & every time you switch bikes.
Also, set the crank length in the Assioma app if your bike computer doesn't have that feature. (FYI- The Elemnt Bolt does not...)

UPDATE 3/2/2020:
I had discovered that my Wahoo Elemnt Bolt did not have a setting for crank length. I was using the Assioma app to set the crank length. But, apparently the Elemnt Bolt had a fixed value for crank length in the software. Because of this it was resetting the Assioma app crank length to 172.5 (from my required 175) every time the Elemnt Bolt connected with the Assioma pedals. This past Friday (2/28/2020) Wahoo issued an update or the Bolt (WB15-6922) that includes the crank length setting, which appears to address the issue.

Last edited by AndrewJB; 03-02-20 at 09:15 AM.
Old 02-26-20, 01:41 PM
bmcer

The Assioma Duo set up continues to work flawlessly. We had a bit of warm-ish weather yesterday so I took a break from Zwift and paired the pedals up with my antique Edge 810 via ANT+ without issues. Did a local 10 mile loop that I've used before and the power readings for a given speed in a given gear matched up with those of the old Vector1S pretty well over the same piece of road. Best of all, no drop-outs, wild spikes or other obvious anomalies in the data. Now the 810 can't take full advantage of the bilateral input, but I have an Edge 530 due to be delivered today. It'll be interesting to see how the 530 gets along with the Assioma's. Hopefully this warm spell will last long enough that I can check out that combo on real pavement. Zwifting is a hoot, but there is no substitute for wind in your face, sun in your eyes, and real scenery. Meantime, I remain very satisfied with the Assioma power pedals
Old 02-26-20, 01:42 PM
bmcer

And I do want to thank everyone for their input! You guys are the best
Likes For bmcer:
Old 02-28-20, 11:38 AM
70Degrees

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bmcer
The Assioma Duo set up continues to work flawlessly. We had a bit of warm-ish weather yesterday so I took a break from Zwift and paired the pedals up with my antique Edge 810 via ANT+ without issues. Did a local 10 mile loop that I've used before and the power readings for a given speed in a given gear matched up with those of the old Vector1S pretty well over the same piece of road. Best of all, no drop-outs, wild spikes or other obvious anomalies in the data. Now the 810 can't take full advantage of the bilateral input, but I have an Edge 530 due to be delivered today. It'll be interesting to see how the 530 gets along with the Assioma's. Hopefully this warm spell will last long enough that I can check out that combo on real pavement. Zwifting is a hoot, but there is no substitute for wind in your face, sun in your eyes, and real scenery. Meantime, I remain very satisfied with the Assioma power pedals
Subscribed to this thread, as I intend to order the Duo in the next few weeks.

bmcer : When you say your Edge 810 is antique, just how old is it? I'm using one that's about 5 years old, and maybe I'm naive, but I don't know what I'm missing out on if, say, a newer 530 or something would be much better.
Old 02-28-20, 11:51 AM
bmcer

My Edge 810 (was originally an 800) is about 9 years old. I think It's old enough that I'm a bit foggy about its exact vintage. The 530 has all the bells and whistles the 810 doesn't, and the touch screen interface of the 830 and it's faster navigation ust isn't worth the extra $$ for me.. See DC Rainmaker's review of the 530.
Old 02-28-20, 02:27 PM
expatbrit

Bikes: Ridley X-Fire (now an ex-bicycle), Trek X-Cal, Giant Defy 3

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Are people using those with the Wellgo cleats, or standard Look cleats?

These are on my 'want' list, though a slew of unexpected expenses means I'm unlikely to get them. DCR suggests they work fine with standard cleats, which would be nice.
Old 02-28-20, 05:27 PM
August West

Bikes: Domane SLR7 Project One

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by expatbrit
Are people using those with the Wellgo cleats, or standard Look cleats?

These are on my 'want' list, though a slew of unexpected expenses means I'm unlikely to get them. DCR suggests they work fine with standard cleats, which would be nice.
I use the Wellgo RC-7C 0° float cleats. If you look at the pictures they are the same cleat as the Xpedo cleats but with the Wellgo branding and only cost me $11.50 on ebay. I've never used Look cleats but am quite happy with the Wellgo's. Positive engagement and I acually prefer the more ramped release compared to the SPD-SL's I was using before I purchased the Assioma's.
Old 02-29-20, 11:31 AM
Wilmingtech

Bikes: 2013 Ridley Helium, 2017 Blue Pro-Secco EX, 1987 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 73 Posts
There is a great thread over at weight weenies on these pedals. The bodies are actually Xpedo bodies and axles with the assioma hardware mounted to them.

Because of this there have been a few who have upgraded to Xpedo mountain SPD pedals as well as lighter versions of the Xpedo road pedal (Mininal weight savings ~30g).

I like them because I can easily switch them to any bike in about 60 seconds. It's nice when you travel and have to rent a bike locally to have a power meter that can go with you.

-Sean
Old 04-02-20, 09:43 AM
70Degrees

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bumping an old thread because I just received the box with my Assioma Duo pedals. Haven't installed them yet, but I intend to do that tonight and see if I can get them configured for a short test ride tomorrow. Thanks for the observations on cleats -- I'll see how the standard ones do and may change them out now that I know that's possible.
Old 04-03-20, 07:23 AM
texbiker

I bought extra cleats directly from Xpedo.com.
Old 06-12-20, 05:37 PM
sean.hwy

Bikes: Blur / Ibis Hakka MX / team machince alr2 / topstone 1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 424 Post(s)
Liked 272 Times in 200 Posts
I have the duo. Paired with my garmin fenix 5 watch no problem.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.