Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

PSA: Enve 4.5 AR Disc set for $1,800 @ Backcountry

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-20, 12:35 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts

I paid a lot more than that for mine and love them. If anyone in here has been wanting a set, it's still a lot of dough but better than full price.

https://www.backcountry.com/enve?show=all
Old 02-21-20, 01:03 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3952 Post(s)
Liked 7,297 Times in 2,947 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
I paid a lot more than that for mine and love them. If anyone in here has been wanting a set, it's still a lot of dough but better than full price.
Decent deal, but isn't Backcountry the latest member of the litigation-happy evil empire?
Old 02-21-20, 01:20 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Yeah. They sued a lot of small shops for using the word backcountry. Which is a regular word. There are backcountry skis like there are mountain bikes, a lot of shops have been using the word because it applied to what they sold, having nothing to do with Backcountry.com. Once there was a backlash, the CEO fired their lawyers and said they had no idea what was going on, which isn't believable at all.

If I was in the market for these specific wheels, I wouldn't let that stop me from saving $1k. But to each his or her own.
Old 02-21-20, 02:02 PM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 989 Post(s)
Liked 586 Times in 440 Posts
Yeah. They sued a lot of small shops for using the word backcountry. Which is a regular word. There are backcountry skis like there are mountain bikes, a lot of shops have been using the word because it applied to what they sold, having nothing to do with Backcountry.com. Once there was a backlash, the CEO fired their lawyers and said they had no idea what was going on, which isn't believable at all.

If I was in the market for these specific wheels, I wouldn't let that stop me from saving $1k. But to each his or her own.
What a good way to shoot yourself in the foot. CEO had no idea? Someone told these bulldogs to start suing people. If the CEO really had no idea, then it makes me question its ability to run a company.
Old 02-22-20, 08:51 AM
Noctilux.95

Bikes: Bianchi Oltre XR4 Celeste, De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Giant TCR SL, Giant Revolt Advanced Revolt 0 Gravel Bike, Trek Madone SLR, Cervelo R5 Disk

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked 124 Times in 65 Posts

https://www.backcountry.com/enve?show=all
I picked up three pairs of Enve wheels towards the end of last year. The 7.8 clinchers from Competitive Cyclist for $1450, the 5.6 disk and 3.4 clinchers through my dealer for $1700 out the door for each set. Enve wheels are excellent but massively overpriced. With competition from Bontrager, Roval, Cadex, DT Swiss along with high quality Chinese wheels, reality is setting in.
Likes For Noctilux.95: