Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Post your Centurion Ironman.. For the love of 80s paint jobs!

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Post your Centurion Ironman.. For the love of 80s paint jobs!

Old 03-25-20, 05:35 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3192 Post(s)
Liked 2,461 Times in 1,490 Posts
I got the BB overhauled. I'll get the headset done tomorrow morning then post a how to for the noobs.
Old 03-25-20, 05:37 PM
Hudson308 
Mr. Anachronism

Bikes: fillet-brazed Chicago Schwinns, and some other stuff

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked 256 Times in 165 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
To all, you should take a look at the "HELP identify an 80s bike" thread if you haven't already. It might be a Centurion/Diamondback missing link type bike.
You mean this thread?
Old 03-25-20, 05:38 PM
seypat

Originally Posted by Hudson308
You mean this thread?
That would be it. Interesting bike.
Old 03-25-20, 05:56 PM
Kars 

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 14 Posts
How to mechanic continued.

There it is. Weigh the benefits/costs and do what works for you. One other optional component to mention. Toss the standard crank bolts/dust covers and use these instead. Around $10 for a pair. Most multi tools have the matching size wrench for emergency repair on the road. I need to fill in the letters on the crank arms with a sharpie. Better do that now.

For myself, I would go with a triple. This is the loaner bike however, so I overhauled the BB then put on a 110/74 crank with the same spindle. It is now a 52/36 semi compact double. I took pictures of the BB overhaul, but that will have to wait for another episode of Ironman Nation "How to."

Now it's time to turn it over to the hot riders, the outlaws and the rebel rousers that can show you how to trick out you IM with the latest/greatest modern components. I'm talking about experts like RT, rccardr, txsailor, texpandj and others. Take it away, people!
I like your thread and so keep going and I like triples too!
Old 03-25-20, 05:57 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2350 Post(s)
Liked 1,728 Times in 1,180 Posts
To all, you should take a look at the "HELP identify an 80s bike" thread if you haven't already. It might be a Centurion/Diamondback missing link type bike.
Might be a Sport DLX or some D-Back equivalent. Anything above that level would have shift cables going under the BB.
Old 03-25-20, 06:03 PM
seypat

Originally Posted by Kars
I like your thread and so keep going and I like triples too!
Thanks. I'll keep it up.
Old 03-25-20, 06:11 PM
seypat

Originally Posted by madpogue
Might be a Sport DLX or some D-Back equivalent. Anything above that level would have shift cables going under the BB.
It has more similarities to the other "contracted for US companies bikes" such as Lotus and SR than Centurion.
Old 03-25-20, 07:44 PM
TXsailor

Bikes: Origin-8 Lactic Acid Giant Escape 2 Centurian Lemans 12 Kuwahara Tandem 1989 Ironman Expert 1988 Ironman Master

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
Seek and ye shall find, Ironhopper.
I have new Panaracer Catalyst Sport blackwalls with a yellow stripe on each side and a black face. It is not the orange-y yellow of the Vice.
I have used Vittoria Pro Team Action Kevlar skinwalls, then a yellow stripe, then a black face. It is the orange-y yellow of the Vice. Plenty good shape.

Someone is going to have to hold me by the hand and walk me through this yellow tire thing. I have found some 25's but nothing in 23 or narrower. I don't know if 25's would look right on those narrow rims. I'm not in a hurry for any just gathering stuff for when I get started on the MV. I did ride it around the neighborhood this evening. I haven't been home in the evenings in years. Its really quiet right now. Not many cars out, people sitting on their porches. I guess the shutdown isn't all bad.
Old 03-25-20, 08:02 PM
seypat

I have some blue tires that came on a bike.

Last edited by seypat; 03-25-20 at 08:39 PM.
Old 03-25-20, 08:59 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,407 Times in 908 Posts

Vreds are good tires. But unless you have a bike those match....
Old 03-25-20, 09:09 PM
TXsailor

Bikes: Origin-8 Lactic Acid Giant Escape 2 Centurian Lemans 12 Kuwahara Tandem 1989 Ironman Expert 1988 Ironman Master

Well your no help at allBlue would clash with the magenta and really make a old man riding a purple & yellow bike look even sillier!
Old 03-25-20, 09:24 PM
texaspandj

Bikes: '85, '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 379 Posts
My biking buddy ordered some tires online, I think Amazone . Anyway, he ordered continental with a yellow ring but when he got them they were lime green. He likes the tires though so he kept them. I think he said they came in yellow, red, blue and apparently lime green.
Btw, my MV has 25s and no problem with the original wheels.
Old 03-25-20, 09:33 PM
seypat

Vreds are good tires. But unless you have a bike those match....
They would look ok on one of the blue fade IM. Doesn't look good on the bike they came on. The bike has the same color housing and camo tape.
The PO had converted it to a Hipster fixie style bike. I'm taking it back to it's origins. A few weeks ago I posted this pic and ask for housing/tape advice. I didn't get any responses. I'll probably go with white or black.

Last edited by seypat; 03-25-20 at 09:37 PM.
Old 03-25-20, 09:50 PM
seypat

Jagwire makes a gold medal housing that I think would match the decal lining, but tape like that would look ridiculous.

Old 03-26-20, 02:21 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
Originally Posted by TXsailor
Someone is going to have to hold me by the hand and walk me through this yellow tire thing. I have found some 25's but nothing in 23 or narrower. I don't know if 25's would look right on those narrow rims. I'm not in a hurry for any just gathering stuff for when I get started on the MV. I did ride it around the neighborhood this evening. I haven't been home in the evenings in years. Its really quiet right now. Not many cars out, people sitting on their porches. I guess the shutdown isn't all bad.
Continental's cheap but good Ultra Sport II is available in many sidewall colors including yellow. Much better tire than the low price would indicate.

Conti just revamped the Ultra Sport III, which now resembles the tread of the Grand Prix Classic, minus the skinwall. It's also available with colored sidewalls, including yellow. The classic 1980s style tread pattern might appeal to some folks. It has a slightly raised center contact patch, with shallow chevron pattern tread on the shoulders. If it rides anything like the Grand Prix Classic it'll be a nice tire.

In terms of ride, I honestly can't feel any difference between the Ultra Sport II with slick contact patch, thicker sidewalls, and Pure Grip compound, vs the Grand Prix Classic with classic tread, skinwalls and Black Chili compound. Both are very good. But the Ultra Sport are a bargain. Both grip reasonably well on wet roads (but not ice -- I slipped on a small patch of ice under a puddle last week, but was going only about 5 mph so no harm to me or my bike). The Ultra Sport with Pure Grip may be slightly tougher. The GP Classic Black Chili has developed a few nicks, but nothing serious enough to warrant discarding the tire. It still has plenty of wear after more than 1,000 miles.

I may switch to the Ultra Sport III in 700x23 as soon as it's available. I like the GP Classic but it's 700x25 only and barely clears the rear brake bridge on my Ironman. If I ride through a puddle or mud there's some loud scraping for a few moments. That may be due to the raised center contact patch. The Ultra Sport II in 700x25 lacks that and it clears the Ironman just fine.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 03-26-20, 08:33 PM
TriBiker19 
Just call me Carrie

Bikes: '82 Fuji Supreme, '85 Shogun 200, '89 Centurion Ironman Master, '89 Centurion Ironman Expert

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked 178 Times in 105 Posts
Help me out guys. I have a Shogun 500 that was serviced recently but does need new tires and pedals--I'm lending it to a friend for her first triathlon. (No time soon because she's positive for the virus and in quarantine currently). What should I look for in a general/neutral pedal and an okay tire? The pedals on this bike were obviously clips with leather straps which were stripped so they're incredibly uncomfortable to ride. But it's a fun bike and I get a kick out of having a "sleeper" rider because it's basically a race touring bike. I kinda love it. It's the bike I ride when my kids want to go out.

And my second question...I have the Blue Smoke in the trainer (a fluid Cycleops) and I find that when I start a ride, it's noisey and I need to adjust my shifter for the crank. Is this normal or should I do something to stop this from happening? It's not a big deal, but my husband has complained about it the other day. (I wear an earbud in the only ear I can hear from so I don't notice it.)

Sorry for the silence. I have kids who are now "remote learning", a tax practice, and a husband who is working from home full time. Did I mention that my pool is closed until at least three weeks before my race? I'm not going to meet the cutoff for swim for my 5/30 race. Swim has always been my worst sport.
Old 03-26-20, 09:47 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1924 Post(s)
Liked 1,954 Times in 1,086 Posts
A new rider unacustomed to clipping in would be happy with flat pedals and ride in her running shoes. But I'm not a tri guy. MKS pedals are so nice for 35 bucks and pretty sticky for pedaling most of the crank revolution. The other guys can recommend some sort if Continental tire.

Wrt noise, if you adjust the shifter and it stops, your fine.

edit: MKS Sylvan

Last edited by Classtime; 03-27-20 at 06:36 AM.
Old 03-26-20, 09:48 PM
TXsailor

I like the GP5000 tire or even the 4000 if you find any. They should be cheaper since the 5000 replaced them.

For petals I like the fairly inexpensive Shimano PD-M520 but they are mtb pedals and require the 2 bolt cleat so you have to have a shoe that will take them.

I too only hear out of one ear. Its not really a big deal for me and even helps sometimes. When driving a convertible I can hear every word my wife says but I have to yell at her since she has noise in both ears. If she is driving I can't hear anything but wind.

I don't use a earbud on the trainer since its just the two of us at home and she hasn't complained yet. How about pedaling a little and getting everything set right then putting the earbud in? The derailleur should stay where you put it from ride to ride unless you are going back and forth from big to little ring.
Old 03-26-20, 10:02 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,407 Times in 908 Posts
Jagwire makes a gold medal housing that I think would match the decal lining, but tape like that would look ridiculous.
Since when has that been an obstacle for you?
Old 03-26-20, 11:12 PM
seypat

Since when has that been an obstacle for you?
That's a valid point. Let me see if I can find some tape in "Vegas" gold color. That might be the one.
Old 03-26-20, 11:48 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2350 Post(s)
Liked 1,728 Times in 1,180 Posts
Originally Posted by TriBiker19
Help me out guys. I have a Shogun 500 that was serviced recently but does need new tires and pedals--I'm lending it to a friend for her first triathlon. (No time soon because she's positive for the virus and in quarantine currently). What should I look for in a general/neutral pedal and an okay tire? The pedals on this bike were obviously clips with leather straps which were stripped so they're incredibly uncomfortable to ride. But it's a fun bike and I get a kick out of having a "sleeper" rider because it's basically a race touring bike. I kinda love it. It's the bike I ride when my kids want to go out.
Look for a pedal that beeps an alarm when another rider gets within 6 feet.

KIDDING -- let's all wish her speedy recovery, healing vibes, all that. Okay so she's new to triathlons, but is she new to road biking? All depends on what pedals she's accustomed to.

And my second question...I have the Blue Smoke in the trainer (a fluid Cycleops) and I find that when I start a ride, it's noisey and I need to adjust my shifter for the crank. Is this normal or should I do something to stop this from happening? It's not a big deal, but my husband has complained about it the other day. (I wear an earbud in the only ear I can hear from so I don't notice it.)
Front shifter, I reckon? Which chainring do you usually run on in the trainer? Could be the cable is slipping between uses. May just need to tighten the screw on the shifter.

Did I mention that my pool is closed until at least three weeks before my race? I'm not going to meet the cutoff for swim for my 5/30 race. Swim has always been my worst sport.
Keep in mind, most of your competitors will probably be just as behind in their training. Given the circumstances, gotta wonder if they'll extend the cutoffs.
Old 03-27-20, 03:28 AM
texaspandj

Originally Posted by TriBiker19

Sorry for the silence. I have kids who are now "remote learning", a tax practice, and a husband who is working from home full time. Did I mention that my pool is closed until at least three weeks before my race? I'm not going to meet the cutoff for swim for my 5/30 race. Swim has always been my worst sport.
For s good relatively inexpensive tire I'd go with what C-Cat suggested a few post above this one.
For pedals, I'd recommend those big plastic platform pedals that a lot of BF members use. I had some pink ones on a beater bike and they were really comfortable with running shoes.
On the front derailleur, it could be a number of things. So just you tube a how to adjust a front derailleur, rj the bike guy probably has an easy to follow one.
Finally, as far as the swim that's my weakest event also. I've found that lifting weights helps a ton. The idea is to gain strength yet still retain muscular endurance. So 3 sets of 12 reps I find is the sweet spot.
Don't give up, don't quit, stay on your grind.
Old 03-27-20, 06:55 AM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2151 Post(s)
Liked 3,380 Times in 1,198 Posts
How about a nearly new pair of 23mm Continental Ultra Gatorskins, pair of good used tubes, and some 105 pedals with cages and straps for the price of postage- medium box would be about $19? Can also toss in a set of MTB pedals if your friend comes up with a pair of appropriate shoes.
PM me if interested.
Old 03-27-20, 07:22 AM
texaspandj

Originally Posted by rccardr
How about a nearly new pair of 23mm Continental Ultra Gatorskins, pair of good used tubes, and some 105 pedals with cages and straps for the price of postage- medium box would be about $19? Can also toss in a set of MTB pedals if your friend comes up with a pair of appropriate shoes.
PM me if interested.
U da man.
Old 03-27-20, 06:04 PM
seypat

Originally Posted by texaspandj
u da man.
+1.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.