Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

Paterek Manual for bikingman

Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

Old 09-07-18, 07:29 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1726 Post(s)
Liked 1,350 Times in 705 Posts

Bikingman, I am not a professional builder, simply a hobbyist, and have only done 3 frames. I started out with zero knowledge of brazing other than what I recalled from high school shop class decades ago, and it amounted to nearly nothing other than the filler follows the heat.

I believe you will benefit greatly from the Paterek Manual available from Henry James at henryjames.com. I have the 2nd edition in paper form from 2000, and read it from front to back before ordering tubes or equipment. Every single detail is covered in that manual. It is what allowed me to build my first 2 frames successfully.

I also went exclusively with Henry James lugs and True Temper tubing from them after talking with a couple of professional builders. They said the quality, fit and easy clean up of the lugs will be in my best interest. True Temper is no longer available, but they have Columbus, which is top shelf stuff.

I built 2 frames in 2001 and nothing other than 3 drop out replacements for friends until this year. Built a frame for my daughter, made an enormous amount of mistakes this time around, not sure why, but I did. It is all good now and tomorrow I add some rack tabs to the frame and prep for paint.

Consider this a friendly Public Service Announcement or some such thing.
Old 09-07-18, 09:25 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4172 Post(s)
Liked 3,793 Times in 2,272 Posts
Agree with the above advice. You are obviously eager and some of us get weary of the same questions (that many before you have asked) at too fast a pace. My I suggest asking question a day instead of many at once? Andy
Old 09-08-18, 07:50 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,664 Times in 2,497 Posts
the first edition is available free on Paterek's website
Old 09-08-18, 09:54 AM
bikingman

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
Bikingman, I am not a professional builder, simply a hobbyist, and have only done 3 frames. I started out with zero knowledge of brazing other than what I recalled from high school shop class decades ago, and it amounted to nearly nothing other than the filler follows the heat.

I believe you will benefit greatly from the Paterek Manual available from Henry James at henryjames.com. I have the 2nd edition in paper form from 2000, and read it from front to back before ordering tubes or equipment. Every single detail is covered in that manual. It is what allowed me to build my first 2 frames successfully.

I also went exclusively with Henry James lugs and True Temper tubing from them after talking with a couple of professional builders. They said the quality, fit and easy clean up of the lugs will be in my best interest. True Temper is no longer available, but they have Columbus, which is top shelf stuff.

I built 2 frames in 2001 and nothing other than 3 drop out replacements for friends until this year. Built a frame for my daughter, made an enormous amount of mistakes this time around, not sure why, but I did. It is all good now and tomorrow I add some rack tabs to the frame and prep for paint.

Consider this a friendly Public Service Announcement or some such thing.
Thanks, TiHabanaro, this is a great book from a quick look over. I'll get to reading the first edition right away. And thanks from the plug on Columbus tubing - definitely a great first choice (given the True Tempers aren't available). Good luck adding the rack tabs!
Old 09-08-18, 10:04 AM
bikingman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
the first edition is available free on Paterek's website
Got it. This is awesome, thank you. I'll go ahead and read the first ed. after a $3 donation - then consider the latest to keep my knowledge up to date. Thanks again.
Old 09-08-18, 10:07 AM
bikingman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
Agree with the above advice. You are obviously eager and some of us get weary of the same questions (that many before you have asked) at too fast a pace. My I suggest asking question a day instead of many at once? Andy
Very much understood, I'm sure this reading will fill many gaps and I'll keep questions to one a day at most as recommended. Thanks so much for your help so far
Old 09-08-18, 06:47 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4172 Post(s)
Liked 3,793 Times in 2,272 Posts
Sorry if I was a tad gruff. I had a hard day and while I wanted to offer advice to you I burned out after a question or two . I'll go back and reply after this weekend (work is hosting the first UCI c1 CX race in NA and it's all hands on deck). Andy