Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Thread for Specialized Sirrus

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Thread for Specialized Sirrus

Old 10-03-19, 04:06 PM
TigerG

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Well........as no one replied to my post asking if it was ok to attach a pannier rack to a carbon frame Sirrus.....I went ahead and risked it. So much for the "special relationship" between the UK and the US eh ??

I went for the Topeak Super Tourist Uni Pannier Rack as it has adjustable stays. And as the Expert Carbon doesn't have a seat post clamp I had to buy a M-Part seat post clamp with pannier attachment points. The Sirrus has a 27.2mm seat post, and the smallest clamp is 28.6mm, so I had to buy a seat post shim tube sleeve adapter to make it all fit.

I'm all too aware of the dangers of crushing a carbon frame so I put a small washer between the pannier stays and eyelets attachment points on the frame. That keeps the stays away from the frame and eliminates the risk of crushing.

Here's a few pics for anyone else considering a pannier rack:

Likes For TigerG:
Old 10-11-19, 06:38 PM
GravelGurty

Bikes: '97 Raleigh C-200 '19 Specialized Sirrus X Comp

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 10 Posts
Finalizing the brake upgrade for my X comp:
Shimano XT BL-M8100 L/R
Shimano SAINT SM-RT99 160MM Center Lock Rotors
Shimano GRX Calipers BR-RX400
Shimano R160D/D Disc Brake Adapter

about 50 miles in, feels quite a bit better than stock. Worth all the money, maybe not, but what are hobbies for?
Also recently added rib cage II carbon bottle cages, and swapped out the composite specialized pedals for raceface rides. The raceface pedals are super smooth and comfortable for 35$

Last edited by GravelGurty; 10-12-19 at 05:47 AM.
Likes For GravelGurty:
Old 10-12-19, 11:33 AM
rvp12

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus X Comp 2020

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Do you need an adaptor for the disc brake rotor upgrade ? the stock rotor was 160 mm right.
Old 10-13-19, 06:41 PM
Gadgetech

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus Carbon Elite & Gary Fisher Marlin

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hello guys & gals. I’m looking at getting a hybrid bike and really wanting something lightweight. I stopped by a LBS that carries Specialized and looked at the Sirrus Elite carbon. I asked about the necessity of front suspension for having a softer ride and they showed me a Crosstrail. Since I already have a MTB and really don’t want to do much of that anyway I felt like the front suspension of the Crosstrail added more weight than I’d benefit from for riding on Greenways or on-road. The fella mentioned the X comp and that kind of interests me with the Future Shock, & wider tires. I’m not a fan of black paint BUT it sounds like there’s purple or something in the paint(?)which sounds cool. Can’t say I’ve found any high res pics of that paint...it just looks black in photos.

I’ve yet to check specs but the LBS mentioned he thought the fork and subframe were a bit wider to accept the wider tire.

So, cost difference not being an issue, is the X Comp going to be a more comfortable/better ride than a Sirrus
carbon elite?

Anything else I should consider (pluses/minuses) between those?

Last mention, the LBS has neither in stock and requires a 30% deposit to bring one in. Also if it’s helpful, I’m 5’10” with 32” inseam, weigh 200lbs and am looking at a large in the Sirrus.
Old 10-14-19, 07:26 AM
Pire

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
On specializedconceptstore.co.uk you can see new Sirrus X 5.0
Old 10-14-19, 07:29 AM
Pire

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sirrus X 5.0 is with Shimano SLX 1x11
Old 10-14-19, 03:56 PM
GravelGurty

Originally Posted by rvp12
Do you need an adaptor for the disc brake rotor upgrade ? the stock rotor was 160 mm right.
Stock is 160 F/R, I needed the flat mount adapter for the GRX rear to accommodate the 160. The stock caliper has the offset cast into the caliper already. I could be wrong but if one was to run the 140 rear, the adapter wouldn't be needed with GRX/Ultegra?.

Originally Posted by Gadgetech
I’m not a fan of black paint BUT it sounds like there’s purple or something in the paint(?)which sounds cool. Can’t say I’ve found any high res pics of that paint...it just looks black in photos.

Last mention, the LBS has neither in stock and requires a 30% deposit to bring one in. Also if it’s helpful, I’m 5’10” with 32” inseam, weigh 200lbs and am looking at a large in the Sirrus.
The purple is very dark unless in direct sunlight, and being very close to it. I'd prefer black, but the purple has been a nice touch. Also, I'm your size (maybe +5 lbs) and roll a Large also, it's a great fit.
Likes For GravelGurty:
Old 10-14-19, 05:22 PM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 749 Times in 559 Posts
Originally Posted by GravelGurty
Stock is 160 F/R, I needed the flat mount adapter for the GRX rear to accommodate the 160. The stock caliper has the offset cast into the caliper already. I could be wrong but if one was to run the 140 rear, the adapter wouldn't be needed with GRX/Ultegra?
It's not about GRX or Ultegra or another groupset, but rather the standard to which the disc brakes were designed. If I'm not mistaken, you've got flat mount disc brake calipers, and the "native" size for the rear rotor on these is 140mm. You are correct that you would remove the adapter in order to run 140mm, but that would apply to any brand or groupset that conforms to the flat mount standard.
Old 10-14-19, 05:39 PM
GravelGurty

Thanks for the clarification. This is my first flat mount bike
Old 10-15-19, 05:44 AM
Gadgetech

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus Carbon Elite & Gary Fisher Marlin

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Pire
On specializedconceptstore.co.uk you can see new Sirrus X 5.0
So will this be available in the US at some point and if so, any idea how long before then?
Old 10-15-19, 05:51 AM
Pire

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
According to information obtained from Specialized, Sirrus X 5.0 is an additional X model for 2020 and will be available in all countries at the end of 2019 (I hope in November). I hoped it would be matte, but unfortunately it would be shiny
Old 10-15-19, 06:45 AM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1566 Post(s)
Liked 1,163 Times in 591 Posts
Originally Posted by Pire
According to information obtained from Specialized, Sirrus X 5.0 is an additional X model for 2020 and will be available in all countries at the end of 2019 (I hope in November). I hoped it would be matte, but unfortunately it would be shiny
Not sure what would be "additional" about it? It is identical to the '19, including price within a few dollars/pounds, save for the switch to SLX shifter/derailleur from NX, and a change of tires and colour. The only possibility I can see is that the FS is changed to the 1.5 version; that would be a good change. The specs. on the linked site are silent about that.
Old 10-15-19, 08:42 AM
Pire

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by badger1
Not sure what would be "additional" about it? It is identical to the '19, including price within a few dollars/pounds, save for the switch to SLX shifter/derailleur from NX, and a change of tires and colour. The only possibility I can see is that the FS is changed to the 1.5 version; that would be a good change. The specs. on the linked site are silent about that.
that would be nice, in fact in the photo I can see the differences between the old and the new FS. An additional difference is the 15mm rise handlebar.
Old 10-15-19, 12:50 PM
mscenic

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by rvp12
@mscenic The Hunt wheels that you got, I read rave reviews about it, but wanted to know whether the bearings/free hub is noisy. Is it smooth and runs quietly ?
They are quite noisy but super light.
Old 10-20-19, 03:42 PM
Jktux

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Help with BB / chainring

Hello! I'm looking to change up my gearing and would like to add larger chainring, but I can not find what direct mount pattern will work with these cranks. Or can anyone provide some option they used for new bb/cranks/chainring to change ratios.
Thanks!
Old 10-20-19, 07:49 PM
slowpacer

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Jktux
Hello! I'm looking to change up my gearing and would like to add larger chainring, but I can not find what direct mount pattern will work with these cranks. Or can anyone provide some option they used for new bb/cranks/chainring to change ratios.
Thanks!
What year and model is your bike and crankset?
Old 10-21-19, 10:45 AM
Jktux

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by slowpacer
What year and model is your bike and crankset?
Its 2019 sirrus carbon x. 1x with sram components the whole thing is stock. I tried looking on specailized site but the description is not helpful.
Old 10-21-19, 11:29 AM
badger1

Its 2019 sirrus carbon x. 1x with sram components the whole thing is stock. I tried looking on specailized site but the description is not helpful.
I suspect you'll either have to have your lbs pull the crank/ring and determine what, if anything, it's compatible with, or email Specialized customer care and see if they'll tell you.

I have the same bike with that no-name generic crank. This winter I'll change it out for a 'known' (and much lighter) single-ring crank, e.g. SRAM Force 1, Shimano GRX, or similar.
Old 10-21-19, 11:38 AM
Jktux

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by badger1
I suspect you'll either have to have your lbs pull the crank/ring and determine what, if anything, it's compatible with, or email Specialized customer care and see if they'll tell you.

I have the same bike with that no-name generic crank. This winter I'll change it out for a 'known' (and much lighter) single-ring crank, e.g. SRAM Force 1, Shimano GRX, or similar.
Ok nice. What chainring size / gearing are you thinking for your build?
Old 10-21-19, 11:56 AM
Sal Bandini

Bikes: 2017 Sirrus Sport

Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Can't you just measure BCD?
Old 10-21-19, 01:04 PM
badger1

Originally Posted by Sal Bandini
Can't you just measure BCD?
No spider. Far as I can tell (no expert), this looks like some sort of spline assembly, but I'm not sure.
Old 10-21-19, 01:08 PM
badger1

Ok nice. What chainring size / gearing are you thinking for your build?
In my case, I'll stay with 42 -- maybe drop to 40. A 40x11 gear is more than big enough for me (I'm old!).
Old 10-21-19, 01:31 PM
slowpacer

Specialized website does not provide details about this bike's cranks other than the spindle having 24mm diameter. You can however look at the markings on the bottom bracket and/or cranks to get more info. Once you figure out the bottom bracket, it would be easy for you to decide what you need.
Old 10-21-19, 01:39 PM
slowpacer

I converted my 2014 Sirrus to 1 x 12/36 a couple of weeks ago and the Shimano cranks that i ordered came with 36t chainring, i have a 40t chainring waiting to be swapped but have been too lazy to do so. As my username suggests, i ride slowly being in my early 60's and not in a hurry, so a 36t chainring works fine for me as well.
Old 10-21-19, 04:48 PM
badger1

Originally Posted by slowpacer
I converted my 2014 Sirrus to 1 x 12/36 a couple of weeks ago and the Shimano cranks that i ordered came with 36t chainring, i have a 40t chainring waiting to be swapped but have been too lazy to do so. As my username suggests, i ride slowly being in my early 60's and not in a hurry, so a 36t chainring works fine for me as well.
I hear you! I'm 68, and dealing with lots of issues -- comes with the territory; my pace is my pace, and my preferred gearing pays no attention to considerations other than ... my abilities: a 40, or even 38 or 36 x 11 is more than enough of a high gear for me.

Last edited by badger1; 10-22-19 at 05:32 AM.
Likes For badger1:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.