Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

BMC RM01 or Wilier Cento1 NDR

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 05-26-20, 10:53 AM
OldGlory

Bikes: Cervelo S3; Factor LS; Flat Bar Lauf Anywhere; Trek Farley 9.6

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 6 Posts

I sold my Domane so now I really need to find a replacement. Anyone have experience or info on these two bikes?

The BMC is more expensive $4400 for just the frame. The Wilier is their 2nd tier carbon. $2600 for the frame. Is the BMC that much better?

Anyone riding the Cento NDR?

Thanks!
Old 05-27-20, 09:32 AM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 94 Posts
It has been said that the harshest critic is often a person who was formerly the biggest fan.

I was a BMC enthusiast / owner / rider / racer for many years. Fast bikes. They fit me perfectly. And you can't beat them for subjective "cool factor." But my most recent TWO BMC experiences have soured me on the brand. (Two consecutive SLR01's were out of commission for months and eventually replaced under warranty -- one frameset and one fork.) I will probably never own another BMC. On the RM01, I would be cautious of the seatpost clamp. It looks cool, but it is a much higher maintenance item than it should be. If you don't re-torque the bolt on a regular basis (I put mine on my calendar for a monthly torque), it is likely to loosen over time and allow your seatpost to slip down. And if it slips down, the procedure for getting it to tighten and stay tight is pretty rigorous. Not a good design.

I don't know if the Willier is a better option, but I would never ever own another BMC.
Likes For FlashBazbo:
Old 05-27-20, 08:08 PM
cp88mb1

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
I have a Cento 1NDR. Love it. Stiff frame, with right wheels a really fast ride. Great handling with a somewhat racy geometry that has a touch of endurance to make it comfy. Happy to talk more if you want, feel free to PM me.
Likes For cp88mb1:
Old 05-28-20, 01:12 PM
mgopack42 

Bikes: 2020 Argon 18 Krypton Pro, 1985 Masi 3V Volumetrica, 3Rensho Super Record Aero, 2022 Trek District 4.

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 423 Times in 206 Posts
When I was shopping last month, It was between the Cento (10) NDR and an Argon 18 Krypton (pro). I liked them a lot, but I settled on the Argon 18 Krypton Pro (same price DI2 Ultegra), mostly because of the higher quality wheels, and the superb documentation on the Argon 18 web pages. the Wilier came with Fulcrum racing 500 (alu) wheels, and the Argon 18 came with HED Vanquish 4 (CF) wheels. I have ridden Fulcrum racing 5 wheels,and they are so so at best. The Argon 18 was also lighter, which doesn't matter much to me, and has a lot of little extras like top tube bolts for a top tube bag, and an anti chain suck device on the top of the BB shell. This was a sight unseen purchase, so I took an expensive leap! the Argon 18 was also the endurance bike of the year in a test by granfondo-cycling.com, for what ever that is worth.

does you LBS stock the Wilier and BMC? test rides are important if youare unsure of the kind of ride characteristic you want and how the Geo might play into that.
Likes For mgopack42:
Old 05-28-20, 04:57 PM
OldGlory

Originally Posted by mgopack42
When I was shopping last month, It was between the Cento (10) NDR and an Argon 18 Krypton (pro). I liked them a lot, but I settled on the Argon 18 Krypton Pro (same price DI2 Ultegra), mostly because of the higher quality wheels, and the superb documentation on the Argon 18 web pages. the Wilier came with Fulcrum racing 500 (alu) wheels, and the Argon 18 came with HED Vanquish 4 (CF) wheels. I have ridden Fulcrum racing 5 wheels,and they are so so at best. The Argon 18 was also lighter, which doesn't matter much to me, and has a lot of little extras like top tube bolts for a top tube bag, and an anti chain suck device on the top of the BB shell. This was a sight unseen purchase, so I took an expensive leap! the Argon 18 was also the endurance bike of the year in a test by granfondo-cycling.com, for what ever that is worth.

does you LBS stock the Wilier and BMC? test rides are important if you are unsure of the kind of ride characteristic you want and how the Geo might play into that.
I have been reading about the Argon it seem like a great bike. A nice balance between stiff race bike and a compliant endurance bike.

There is a somewhat local bike store that carries BMC I will be riding them. Wilier is not that easy.
Old 05-28-20, 05:00 PM
OldGlory

Originally Posted by cp88mb1
I have a Cento 1NDR. Love it. Stiff frame, with right wheels a really fast ride. Great handling with a somewhat racy geometry that has a touch of endurance to make it comfy. Happy to talk more if you want, feel free to PM me.
That's exactly what I am looking for. A racy bike with a more relaxed geometry that is comfortable but not dead and pokey.
Old 05-28-20, 07:40 PM
scott967

Bikes: 89 Paramount OS 84 Fuji Touring Series III New! 2013 Focus Izalco Ergoride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
I've been looking at the the Cento 10 ndr. It's a bit more expensive but what really concerns me is it seems like you have to use their proprietary stem and bar? I might be leaning more towards the 1 ndr just to use a standard stem and bar if that's the case. But I did see a shop online in CA that will build a Wilier to spec that seemed to indicate I could spec a standard stem. I don't care about the "hidden" cables which seems part of the selling point for the proprietary cockpit. My impression is the BMC is a more race-oriented position geometry, but I can't say I've really looked at it super close.

I was also interested in rim brakes to use my existing wheelset supply, though I would have to buy direct mount brakes with which I have no experience.
scott s.
Old 05-28-20, 08:19 PM
mgopack42 

Bikes: 2020 Argon 18 Krypton Pro, 1985 Masi 3V Volumetrica, 3Rensho Super Record Aero, 2022 Trek District 4.

Originally Posted by scott967
I've been looking at the the Cento 10 ndr. It's a bit more expensive but what really concerns me is it seems like you have to use their proprietary stem and bar? I might be leaning more towards the 1 ndr just to use a standard stem and bar if that's the case. But I did see a shop online in CA that will build a Wilier to spec that seemed to indicate I could spec a standard stem. I don't care about the "hidden" cables which seems part of the selling point for the proprietary cockpit. My impression is the BMC is a more race-oriented position geometry, but I can't say I've really looked at it super close.

I was also interested in rim brakes to use my existing wheelset supply, though I would have to buy direct mount brakes with which I have no experience.
scott s.
If you are looking at wrench science, that is where I got my Argon 18. Taylor is the Wilier guy I talked to several times. The Cento 10 NDR doesn't NEED. The "Barra and Stemma", but I thought the transition from the top headset race to the spacers looked bad.
Old 05-29-20, 04:53 AM
OldGlory

Originally Posted by scott967

scott s.
The Cento 10 has better carbon (I think) but it has a suspension hinge in the rear which I don't want. I sold my Domane because of the "bounce" in the Isospeed Decoupler".
Old 05-29-20, 11:43 AM
scott967

Bikes: 89 Paramount OS 84 Fuji Touring Series III New! 2013 Focus Izalco Ergoride

Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
If you are looking at wrench science, that is where I got my Argon 18. Taylor is the Wilier guy I talked to several times. The Cento 10 NDR doesn't NEED. The "Barra and Stemma", but I thought the transition from the top headset race to the spacers looked bad.
Those are the guys, yes. That's good to know thanks.

Originally Posted by OldGlory
The Cento 10 has better carbon (I think) but it has a suspension hinge in the rear which I don't want. I sold my Domane because of the "bounce" in the Isospeed Decoupler".
I'm not sold on the coupler, at least I don't think I've missed not having one at this point. I guess it has 3 material variations so maybe more controllable than the Domaine.

scott s.
Likes For scott967:
Old 06-03-20, 03:12 PM
OldGlory

does you LBS stock the Wilier and BMC? test rides are important if youare unsure of the kind of ride characteristic you want and how the Geo might play into that.
I was fitted today. The BMC is out . Coming down to the Argon 18 which they don't sell and the Cervelo S3 or Trek Emonda SLR.

How do you like the Krypton? Any negatives? I like what I have read about it but its hard to buy something like this without seeing it in person...as you know!
Old 06-03-20, 03:50 PM
mgopack42 

Well, they just ordered it last week, and they are slammed with builds. I was quoted 4-6 weeks, and we are only 1 week in! I plan on a new bike day discussion of what I like or dont like about it when I finally get this bad boy.
Part of my decision was I didn't want to see my same bike every day on group rides, and the internal routing of the front end cables and hoses looks good. The big review I linked to describes it as comfortable, but more at the race end of handling, which is just what I was looking for. If you are looking at Wrench Science for the Argon 18, Taylor is also the guy. and of course the wait time I already mentioned.
Likes For mgopack42:
Old 06-03-20, 04:39 PM
OldGlory

Well, they just ordered it last week, and they are slammed with builds. I was quoted 4-6 weeks, and we are only 1 week in! I plan on a new bike day discussion of what I like or dont like about it when I finally get this bad boy.
Part of my decision was I didn't want to see my same bike every day on group rides, and the internal routing of the front end cables and hoses looks good. The big review I linked to describes it as comfortable, but more at the race end of handling, which is just what I was looking for. If you are looking at Wrench Science for the Argon 18, Taylor is also the guy. and of course the wait time I already mentioned.
I don't know if I could wait!
Old 06-06-20, 05:21 AM
dr_max

Bikes: BMC SLC01 Promachine with full DA grupo on Ksyrium ES/ BMC Roadmachine 01 One disc Ultegra with DT Swiss

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 37 Posts
Exactly my experience

Ihad 5 BMC over 12 years

BMC SLC01 Promachine made in Switzerland, my best bike ever
BMC TT03 Timemachine
BMC TT02 Timemachine
BMC Roadmachine 01 2016
BMC Roadmachine 01 One 2019

the 2 last one cracked their frame at the seat post top tub junction and my frameset warranty replacement is cracking too. The fork I set of my last one cracked and pullout.
Likes For dr_max:
Old 07-23-20, 04:35 PM
mgopack42 

Originally Posted by OldGlory
I don't know if I could wait!
OldGlory what did you decide on? I am revisiting this thread, because Saturday is NBD for me! i am getting super excited to finally get the new machine, almost 2 months later.
Old 07-23-20, 05:31 PM
OldGlory

OldGlory what did you decide on? I am revisiting this thread, because Saturday is NBD for me! i am getting super excited to finally get the new machine, almost 2 months later.
Cervelo S3 Super psyched! Rides so smooth on those wheels. Way more responsive and lively than my old Domane.

Good luck with the new Bike Enjoy the Argon! I wish there was a dealer near me they looked like sweet bikes!

Last edited by OldGlory; 07-23-20 at 05:49 PM.
Likes For OldGlory:
Old 07-24-20, 06:45 PM
sfrider 
Asleep at the bars

Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 135 Posts
Are those the SES 5.6 wheels? Did you get them with the bike? I like the faded paintjob on the bottle cages to match the frame. Nice touch!
"This 7:48 cycling session burned 5933 calories. Speed up recovery by replacing them with a healthy snack." - Whoop

Old 07-26-20, 04:22 AM
OldGlory

Originally Posted by sfrider
Are those the SES 5.6 wheels? Did you get them with the bike? I like the faded paintjob on the bottle cages to match the frame. Nice touch!
Thanks! Wheels were an upgrade. ENVE had a trade in program going on when I bought the bike so I traded in the stock wheels for the 5.6 ENVEs.
Old 07-30-20, 08:50 AM
OldGlory

So how do you like the Argon?
Old 07-30-20, 10:56 AM
mgopack42 

OldGlory So far so good. I need to write a NBD post for it, i have just been too busy. I want to like the Prologo saddle, but 70 miles into it, I am reasonably sure it and I will not get along. When I picked it up at Wrench Science, I picked it up and I was blown away by how light it is. I just got a bigger cassette, new bottle cages, and I lost 20 lbs in the last 2 months, so I plan on being a climbing fool ( or at least some sort of fool). I figure 10 Kg lost should help along with a 34 - 32 gear ratio!

As received

In the wild, I need a better seat bag, and have new bottle cages coming

Last edited by mgopack42; 07-30-20 at 11:00 AM.