Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Where do you wash your bike?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-20, 12:23 PM
Metallifan33

Bikes: Trek Domane SL 5

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 48 Posts

I ride in dry conditions only and was hoping to not have to clean my chain/wash the bike (other than the post-ride wipe down) until I take my bike into the shop twice a year.
This plan however isn't going to work as my chain is getting annoyingly loud and I'm going to have to de-grease, wash, and lube it.
I am not someone who works on bikes/cars etc., however I think I would enjoy working on the bike.
My question is, where do you guys wash your bike? I thought about in my back porch (cement), but I don't want to stain the cement. I may do it on the front driveway or back yard grass.
Either way, I'm curious as to what you guys do. Also, what do you do with greasy rags afterward? Can you clean and reuse them? (I suppose you don't want to drop them in the washer).
These may sound like stupid questions, but keep in mind, I haven't washed a car by hand in decades.
Old 11-22-20, 12:55 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3657 Post(s)
Liked 5,393 Times in 2,738 Posts
If you first remove the chain and rear wheel (for the cassette) you shouldn't end up with any runoff that will stain anything. Clean the chain and cassette with mineral spirits and re-use. Or wax lube. Do not put oily rags in the washer or dryer, just throw them away.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 11-22-20, 12:58 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22579 Post(s)
Liked 8,919 Times in 4,153 Posts
Driveway. Spray drivetrain and chain with citrus degreaser. Use dawn liquid or similar to wash. It may not be perfect but reasonable.
Likes For datlas:
Old 11-22-20, 03:41 PM
cycletheworld78

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Metallifan33
I ride in dry conditions only and was hoping to not have to clean my chain/wash the bike (other than the post-ride wipe down) until I take my bike into the shop twice a year.
This plan however isn't going to work as my chain is getting annoyingly loud and I'm going to have to de-grease, wash, and lube it.
I am not someone who works on bikes/cars etc., however I think I would enjoy working on the bike.
My question is, where do you guys wash your bike? I thought about in my back porch (cement), but I don't want to stain the cement. I may do it on the front driveway or back yard grass.
Either way, I'm curious as to what you guys do. Also, what do you do with greasy rags afterward? Can you clean and reuse them? (I suppose you don't want to drop them in the washer).
These may sound like stupid questions, but keep in mind, I haven't washed a car by hand in decades.
I found that using a mild detergent and hand washing works best
Old 11-22-20, 03:45 PM
CeeDotA

Bikes: 17 TCR Advanced 2, 21 Revolt Advanced 3, 16 Trinity Advanced

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
I wash my bike on a concrete slab in my back yard. Never once had issues with grease staining anything.
Likes For CeeDotA:
Old 11-22-20, 03:47 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
I do it in my garage. but if you're concerned about staining the cement, do it on the grass.
Old 11-22-20, 04:38 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,474 Times in 4,181 Posts
Stain concrete?...my driveway isn't pristine enough to even consider that as an issue.

Just wash the bike in grass. Or out in AZ, wash it in the pebbles.
Spray with water, soap the bike, and rinse. Its like a 5min job.
Then apply chain lube after.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 11-22-20, 05:06 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3885 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
On my front porch, actually the loading platform for our shop, which has a tarp over it so I can even wash them in the rain. The boards have 1/4" spaces between them for the rain and wash water to drain through. Most convenient.
Old 11-22-20, 05:46 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6178 Post(s)
Liked 4,795 Times in 3,307 Posts
I wipe mine down in the house were it's a comfortable temperature. Depending on where I am I might put down an old towel or a drop cloth. Those canisters with premoistened wipes generally work well for me. Even for getting the gunk off the chain and sprockets. Though I see STP has these that claim to be for degreasing....https://www.walmart.com/ip/STP-Cleaning-Engine-Degreasing-Wipes-Citrus-Scent-30-count/905072168

I might try them and see if they cut through chain grime better.

I've never felt a need to take a hose or other thing to my own road bikes. They just don't get dirty enough.

Last edited by Iride01; 11-22-20 at 06:02 PM.
Old 11-22-20, 06:45 PM
SVTNate
Packers Fan

Bikes: 2010 Roubaix Expert

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 30 Posts
On a Park Tool stand, in the driveway, with my hose and my car wash bucket.

Simple Green the drivetrain, let it soak, scrub, rinse, then the entire bike with car wash soap, dry thoroughly with electric leaf blower, finish with a microfiber towel, lube the drivetrain, wipe down the Park Tool stand, put it all away.

I usually do it on car wash day, since I already have the hose, bucket, etc. out.

I use a microfiber wash mitt to scrub the bike with soap, BTW.

My decade-old bike looks brand new.
Likes For SVTNate:
Old 11-23-20, 10:26 AM
crazyravr

Bikes: 1 for road & 1 for gravel

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 28 Posts
I live in an apartment. For me its the bathtub for the complete bike. For heavy duty once a year take it all apart clean, couple buckets to soak and then a bathtub
Old 11-23-20, 03:07 PM
gsa103

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito (Celeste, of course)

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 77 Posts
If you're going to fully degrease, take things off the bike, you'll be able to get them cleaner and not have to worry about the mess. Otherwise, car wash soap, a spray bottle and some blue shop towels.
Old 11-23-20, 03:34 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8263 Post(s)
Liked 9,000 Times in 4,456 Posts
I never wash my bikes unless they get muddy. I just spray Pledge and wipe with a clean cloth. Chain gets wiped with a rag before re-lubing. The chain never comes off until time to replace.
Likes For big john:
Old 11-23-20, 05:45 PM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1246 Post(s)
Liked 1,273 Times in 704 Posts
Originally Posted by CeeDotA
I wash my bike on a concrete slab in my back yard. Never once had issues with grease staining anything.
I've stained the concrete in the back yards of two different apartment buildings where I've lived. Not sure if that's because my bike gets covered with a "special" kind of grime, or because I'm such a selfish inconsiderate tenant that I don't even take a few remedial steps to clean up the area after I've cleaned the bike. But those stains ain't goin' nowhere. :::shrugs:::
Old 11-23-20, 10:04 PM
KJ43
Dead but dreaming

Bikes: 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, 2022 Cannondale Synapse

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 186 Posts
I take both wheels off and put the bike on the stand in the backyard on the grass. Today I left the chain on with a roller but once or twice a month I'll take the chain off and soak it in white spirits to really get it clean.

I use simple green for the drivetrain areas and a sudsy bike wash for the rest of it. After the bike is dry I lube the chain and (usually) the derailleur pivots.
Old 11-26-20, 06:04 AM
frozenscissor

Bikes: still unknown

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I strip the wheels, cassette and the chain
Old 11-26-20, 09:11 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked 583 Times in 438 Posts
Originally Posted by Metallifan33
You will certainly enjoy working on your bike. Regarding the need to wash it, you shouldn't have to do anything else than wiping it off with a clean microfiber clothe & hot water if you ride in dry conditions. The less water you put on your bike, the better it is. I ''wash'' mine inside. By wash, I mean I wipe it off after every ride. I use a separate rag to wipe my chain off after every ride as well while I am cleaning the rest of the bike. I don't clean that one, however, I throw it in the garbage after the summer.

If I would wash it with a garden hose, I'd certainly do it in my backyard on the grass.

Regarding your chain that is noisy, frequent lubrication is the key. I lube mine every 100-200kms and perform a full decontamination every 1000kms (Fuel does a marvelous job!). When it's time, I also remove my cassette and clean it under hot and soapy water using a brush. I don't like to spray degreaser directly on the bike.

Last edited by eduskator; 11-26-20 at 10:25 AM.
Old 11-26-20, 09:56 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by crazyravr
I live in an apartment. For me its the bathtub for the complete bike. For heavy duty once a year take it all apart clean, couple buckets to soak and then a bathtub
Same. Sometimes challenging getting access to the building's water and hose access. I've thought about but haven't done it -- getting one of those 2 gallon pump garden sprayers for rinsing after soaping up and scrub with dawn and a car sponge.
Old 11-26-20, 10:20 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
We have a stamped and colored concrete patio. I’ve been washing my bikes there for years and never managed to stain it.
Old 11-26-20, 10:51 AM
mdarnton

Bikes: nothing to brag about

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 206 Times in 116 Posts
On the grass---it can grow back.
No hose driving dirt where I don't want it.
I grab the worst rag in the house, and throw it out after. Start with the frame, end with the greasy parts.
Old 12-13-20, 06:58 PM
Bikerdrummer

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 23 Posts
I live in an apartment. For a quick job I sponge it down in bathtub. For more through job I’ll take outside in front of building with a couple warm buckets of water, one suds and one clean water. Park tool brushes are helpful. Drop of Organic dish soap or simple green for suds, degreased for chain.
Old 12-13-20, 08:43 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
I'm in an apartment. I *could* wash my bikes indoors, but I don't.

I trundle out the bike to the back yard or parking lot, toting a bucket of warm water with Dawn, a spray bottle of generic "green" degreaser, some junk brushes and sponges, and do it quick and semi-dirty. I'm not that picky, just knock of the mud and worst road grime.

Switching to cleaner chain lubes cut down on some grime. I use either hot wax (a hassle to set up but easy once the process is underway) or Rock 'n' Roll Absolute Dry or Gold, both very light lubes that are mostly naphtha carrier with PTFE, and with the Gold, a bit of oil. I dribble a few droplets using a needle dropper once a week, kinda randomly. That's cut way back on the mess from oily lubes that collect grime and splatter the bike.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 12-13-20, 10:24 PM
cuevélo

Bikes: '20 Scott Addict RC 30, '13 Trek Soho Deluxe, '91 Greg Lemond Maillot Jaune, Mid '70s Cuevas

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 41 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Same. Sometimes challenging getting access to the building's water and hose access. I've thought about but haven't done it -- getting one of those 2 gallon pump garden sprayers for rinsing after soaping up and scrub with dawn and a car sponge.
This is the way to do it, even if you do have access to a hose. Adjustable pressure that isn't too high, and you can fill it with hot water instead of cold. 2 gallons is enough for a fairly muddy mountain bike, or any road bike. I also fill an empty spray bottle with about 1/4 dish soap and 3/4 water, and use that after a first rinse.
Old 12-14-20, 11:20 AM
kcjc

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 34 Posts
Driveway for the last six years. I guess if let the wash pool and evaporate, it may stain the concrete but mine is slope and it'll take too much work. Also, I'm pretty sure that the biodegradable cleanser I use may also work against staining.
Old 12-19-20, 04:23 AM
Fox Farm

Bikes: Merlin Extra Light, Orbea Orca, Ritchey Outback,Tomac Revolver Mountain Bike, Cannondale Crit 3.0 now used for time trials.

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 34 Posts
This time of the year? The bathroom tub.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.