Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

New Barlow Pass.... improvement over the previous version.

Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Old 04-18-20, 09:19 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2749 Post(s)
Liked 2,516 Times in 1,422 Posts

I've been a fan of Compass tires for a while, and the Barlow Pass is what I have been using on my Fog Cutter for a couple years. I use this bike for all my "road" riding, both paved and unpaved. Probably around 50/50 pavement/gravel overall.

The version I was running was the 2nd generation (Compass label) and the first that were supposedly tubeless-ready.

It is a file-treaded slick which I find works great for almost everything I ride. Stupid fast and really light, and the ride quality is sublime. If slicks are not your thing, then you would probably not like them. I personally don't find tread all that helpful on most dirt roads, but everyone is different in this regard.

I've been riding Compass tires for years on dirt roads (Barlow, Bon Jon, and Stampede Pass) and never damaged one. Again, YMMV.

That said there were a couple downsides. First, these were marketed as tubeless ready, but after reading all the stories of tubeless hassle and failure, I decided to just stick with tubes. Also, while 400g is not heavy for a 38mm tire, it was heavy for a Compass Extralight. The 44mm version of this tire was the same weight, and the 35mm version is 300g. Nonetheless I still thought they were really good tires.

Anyway, I had read that newest version (Rene Herse label). Was an improvement in both regards so I got a set when my old ones wore out.

They are in fact lighter (weighed in right around the claimed 350g) and tubeless was a breeze to set up (after I fixed my crap rim-taping job). They have not leaked, weeped through the sidewall, or anything like that.

I was really close to going with something else, but really happy I gave the new ones a shot.

Last edited by Kapusta; 05-30-20 at 07:42 PM.
Old 04-18-20, 08:26 PM
gravelslider

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Great to know!
Old 04-18-20, 10:04 PM
GeneO 

Bikes: 2018 Roubaix Expert Di2, 2016 Diverge Expert X1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
Thnx. Looking for some new tires to replace my Strada Ush
Old 04-18-20, 11:50 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Finally, a reason to try to survive the pandemic.

I've never tried tubeless Barlow Pass, but might do so with your recommendation. Did you use their sealant? Do they ride significantly better?
Old 04-18-20, 11:51 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Originally Posted by GeneO
Thnx. Looking for some new tires to replace my Strada Ush
That is what I used to have (well, Clement Xplor USH). This will be a huge upgrade.
Old 04-19-20, 09:36 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Originally Posted by wgscott
Finally, a reason to try to survive the pandemic.

I've never tried tubeless Barlow Pass, but might do so with your recommendation. Did you use their sealant? Do they ride significantly better?
I used Orange Seal sealant.

I think it might feel a little smoother/quicker, but it is a subtle enough difference that it could well be placebo. I had not ridden much this spring before making the switch, so I’m really going off of memory what certain roads felt like on the old BPs with tubes.

Also, if there is a difference, it may be due to loss of weight rather than tubeless or casing difference. I weighed the whole wheel setup before (old BP tires with tubes) and after (new BP with a little over 2oz sealant), and the new setup is ~1/4 lbs lighter per wheel.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 04-19-20, 09:57 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
I thought of getting these...and instead got the 700x50c Schwalbe G-One Speeds....in part because I could get them for $55/tire. IRL measure 46mm on 21.5mm rims

How big IRL are the Borlow Passes on the rims you're using?
Old 04-19-20, 10:19 AM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
I thought of getting these...and instead got the 700x50c Schwalbe G-One Speeds....in part because I could get them for $55/tire. IRL measure 46mm on 21.5mm rims

How big IRL are the Borlow Passes on the rims you're using?
Barlow Pass is 38mm. (Mine are within error 38mm on my HED Belgium Plus rims.) Compass/Rene Herse has a different name for what is essentially a different width of the same tire. Their widest, Antelope Hill , is 55mm. I bought a Soma Saga touring frame in large part because those will fit. (I haven't tried it yet.)

Last edited by Cyclist0108; 04-19-20 at 07:14 PM. Reason: added some links
Old 04-20-20, 09:23 AM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1871 Post(s)
Liked 689 Times in 467 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
I personally don't find tread all that helpful on most dirt roads, but everyone is different in this regard.
I'm curious where you ride?
Old 04-20-20, 10:57 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Originally Posted by shoota
I'm curious where you ride?
I live in Upstate NY now. Used to live in southwest VA. Lots of USFS roads in the George Washington and Jefferson National Forests.

I’ve ridden dirt roads all over the East Coast and a few places out west.

In my experience, if I am on something that I wish I had treads, I’m also wishing I was on tires bigger than 38s. In fact, I more often wish for more volume then tread on really bad roads.

The one exception is mud, but that is usually brief on this bike. I’m not CX racing.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 04-20-20, 11:37 AM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1871 Post(s)
Liked 689 Times in 467 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
I live in Upstate NY now. Used to live in southwest VA. Lots of USFS roads in the George Washington and Jefferson National Forests.

I’ve ridden dirt roads all over the East Coast and a few places out west.

In my experience, if I am on something that I wish I had treads, I’m also wishing I was on tires bigger than 38s. In fact, I more often wish for more volume then tread on really bad roads.

The one exception is mud, but that is usually brief on this bike. I’m not CX racing.
Cool. I want to ride in upstate NY/Vermont/Pennsylvania sometime. Definitely on the gravel bucket list
Old 04-24-20, 12:53 PM
sweetspot

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
I have no experience with the previous Barlow Pass but the new Endurance casing is quite impressive. On pair in terms of comfort with a very supple Soma cazadero but much, much faster. Yet you have to learn how to ride on a semi slick tire. Here is my review of Barlow Pass:
https://gravelbikes.cc/tests/soma-ca...ires-shootout/
Old 04-24-20, 01:41 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Originally Posted by sweetspot
I have no experience with the previous Barlow Pass but the new Endurance casing is quite impressive. On pair in terms of comfort with a very supple Soma cazadero but much, much faster. Yet you have to learn how to ride on a semi slick tire. Here is my review of Barlow Pass:
https://gravelbikes.cc/tests/soma-ca...ires-shootout/
Great article. Thanks for posting. I also have 38mm Steilacooms on another (nearly identical) wheelset. That is what I would ride under those conditions. The great thing is those don't slow you down too much on smoother pavement, either.