Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Passing Cars

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Passing Cars

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-20, 12:23 PM
SpeedRanger

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 18 Posts
Passing Cars

Passing cars on a descent, probably not the safest maneuver, I'm not sure if it's even legal but would you make the move if the situation was deemed safe?
I'm ok with it but many friends won't do it and claim it's too risky and not legal.
Old 11-03-20, 12:28 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22597 Post(s)
Liked 8,925 Times in 4,158 Posts
I would not do it.
Old 11-03-20, 12:28 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,245 Times in 623 Posts
Never been in that much of a hurry..

Likes For 10 Wheels:
Old 11-03-20, 12:31 PM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
I would assume that passing cars on a bicycle would be no different than in a car. No passing over double yellow, pass on left and such.
Likes For colnago62:
Old 11-03-20, 12:33 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,809 Times in 3,317 Posts
Two or more lanes going the same direction, no problem. Single lane, I'd tend to say don't pass. But I don't know exactly what your circumstance are. The only legal issue I could imagine is speeding. Which might very state to state depending on whether their law regarding observance of speed limits says specifically "motor vehicles" or just simply "vehicles".

But if you are only speeding just to complete the pass, then most states allow you to exceed the speed limit to pass.
Old 11-03-20, 12:39 PM
SpeedRanger

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
Never been in that much of a hurry..
Usually we sit back and pace the car in front from a distance, but occasionally there is the slow moving sightseeing vehicle jamming their brakes every 10 seconds which is not fun riding rim brakes.
Old 11-03-20, 12:40 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,245 Times in 623 Posts
My Dad's youngest Brother was Killed doing THAT.

Old 11-03-20, 12:43 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Depends.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 11-03-20, 01:20 PM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by SpeedRanger
Passing cars on a descent, probably not the safest maneuver, I'm not sure if it's even legal but would you make the move if the situation was deemed safe?
I'm ok with it but many friends won't do it and claim it's too risky and not legal.
I generally don’t want to be anywhere near a car when I’m descending fast
Old 11-03-20, 01:21 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3238 Post(s)
Liked 2,085 Times in 1,181 Posts
I've only done it once. It was a descent of Slumgullion Pass in Colorado, near the top on the north side. A Jeep Wrangler pulled out of a dirt road and never really got up to any speed, and couldn't due to the curves. I passed on a straight section where I could see nothing coming up the hill, as I was able to move faster.

I'd likely never do it again, but it was not unsafe.
Old 11-03-20, 01:25 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Just to be passed back by said car somewhere down the road? I don't think so. Ask yourself this question. Would you rather have an irate driver(or any driver for that matter) behind you, or in front of you? Now if you are talking about a vehicle with a slow moving sign such as a tractor, that's a different situation.
Likes For seypat:
Old 11-03-20, 01:42 PM
mercator
In the wind

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced Team, Lemond Buenos Aires, Giant TCX, Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 54 Posts
I don't normally do it, although when descending Mt. Ventoux it seemed to be the custom so I made an exception.
Old 11-03-20, 02:08 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10424 Post(s)
Liked 11,898 Times in 6,094 Posts
Not really possible on the descents around here. Cars sometimes pull over to let other cars through, and that's how I got ahead of one slowpoke last week. Mostly, if I'm lucky, the cars are going the other way.

But my favorite was years ago, coming down the twisty but not really technical Rt 84 here on the Peninsula. I was following a car most of the way, because they were going slower than I could have. At the bottom, the car suddenly pulled into a turnout and stoppet. The passenger side door opened quickly and a woman leaned out and barfed fairly explosively..

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 11-03-20, 02:10 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 687 Posts
i've done this a couple of times on Geiger Grade here in Reno. there is only one safe part of the descent to do this or two pullouts if the driver is kind. in both cases the driver was kind to me. the road is windy and i rarely come upon a vehicle that is really slow. it's not that i am excessively fast, it is that they are excessively slow. tailgating down a descent stinks.
Old 11-03-20, 02:11 PM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
I've done it a few times when I had no qualms about the safety of the situation. Depends on lots of factors.
Likes For rubiksoval:
Old 11-03-20, 02:12 PM
rubiksoval

Originally Posted by seypat
Just to be passed back by said car somewhere down the road? I don't think so. Ask yourself this question. Would you rather have an irate driver(or any driver for that matter) behind you, or in front of you?
Why is the driver irate?

I'd rather have a slow driver behind me. Nothing worse than riding your brakes.
Old 11-03-20, 08:59 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Originally Posted by rubiksoval
Why is the driver irate?

I'd rather have a slow driver behind me. Nothing worse than riding your brakes.
Exactly. You'd rather have a slow driver behind you. Nothing worse than riding your brakes. Which is why that driver will be irate.(at least I would be) Because as soon as the descent ends, the cyclist will magically transform back into a slow moving vehicle/driver. The car/driver that got passed will become the one riding the brakes, getting anxious and looking for any chance to get around the cyclist that is now an irritant in front.
Old 11-03-20, 11:35 PM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
Originally Posted by colnago62
I would assume that passing cars on a bicycle would be no different than in a car. No passing over double yellow, pass on left and such.
That's my understanding.

I actually like having a car in front of me on long descents, because I can watch their brake lights to see where I need to slow down. Also, they alert oncoming cars much better than I can alone, so that when I pass people in the other direction, they will be moved over already by the time I get to them, and not taking up the whole road.

But sometimes, esp on weekends, people are sightseeing and taking it easy on hilly and mountain roads and will actually wave me past. And if they don't wave me past, and start holding up traffic, I will pass at some point (hopefully legally) and often have. A bicycle passing a car can be done much faster and safer than a car trying to pass another car. But the situations where I pass are pretty much the same ones I would pass had I been driving my car. Whether they pass me again later on, I don't worry about.
Old 11-04-20, 05:05 PM
rubiksoval

Originally Posted by cubewheels
A lot of male drivers think you're challenging their manhood if you pass them on your bike, no matter how safe / considerate you did the pass.

I've had drivers like these I passed and then they floor the pedal and make a dangerously close pass to me. If the speed difference is only around 10 kph, then I won't pass. I only pass if the speed difference is bigger OR other drivers are also passing that slow driver.

This is why I prefer to ride during busy hours, more traffic so these irate drivers will have less opprortunity to do something crazy on the road like harass you.
I don't ride in the middle of Manila, so your experiences differ significantly from mine (and most everyone else's, I'd imagine).
Old 11-04-20, 09:34 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2581 Post(s)
Liked 5,637 Times in 2,921 Posts
A bicycle is considered a vehicle under most state laws, so as long as you follow the rules of the road, passing should be good. Your state no doubt has bicycle laws you can look up online.

I have only passed one vehicle, an RV, going down a pass with excellent forward visibility. Was competing in a one day 156 mile 10,000’ gain event, on a tandem racing bike. We were doing 62 and he was doing the 55 limit. So yes, we were speeding, but would have gladly accepted the ticket. Since we were competing and didn’t want to be slowed for the next two miles (a very long pass) we went for it. Frankly it was frightening and fun at the same time. That was 35 years ago. Won’t do it again especially at that speed. Sold the tandem this last summer.

Old 11-05-20, 04:59 AM
rubiksoval

But then I'm also keep seeing news in better countries, cyclists being run down by motorists. Obviously, the driver will reason "did not see the cyclist" but I wouldn't be surprised if some of them did it intentionally.
So you think this is a reason not to pass a slow-moving car on a descent (any time)?
Old 11-05-20, 05:32 AM
Amt0571

Bikes: Canyon Grand Canyon AL SL 8.0, Triban RC520 Gravel Ltd, Btwin Ultra 520 AF GF, Triban Road 7, Benotto 850

Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked 215 Times in 137 Posts
I don't know if it's legal in the USA. In Europe, as long as you follow the traffic rules, you can do it.

I've done it several times. Just make sure that:

1. You will be able to hold a higher speed until finishing the pass.
2. You have enough time / visibility to brake and get on your lane if the car driver decides to accelerate during the maneuver. Had that happen a few times.

Sometimes, I find drivers who can't drive around curves at a decent speed, but when there's a straight suddenly have the urge to floor the car. They're extremely irritating as you can't really pass them, and if you try when you have enough visibility, you can end up trying to pass when they accelerate unexpectedly putting you in a dangerous situation.
Likes For Amt0571:
Old 11-05-20, 08:26 PM
rubiksoval

I didn't say you can never pass a slower car in front of you. Did you read my post #18 ?
You mean your reply to my post in which you made a fairly silly assertion that you're challenging people's manhood when you pass them?

Yeah, didn't make much sense.

You apparently think you ride in the middle of a potential war zone, so again, not particularly relevant to my post.
Likes For rubiksoval:
Old 11-06-20, 12:36 AM
gios

Bikes: 2021 Litespeed T5 105, 1990 Gios Compact Pro 105

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 182 Posts
Like they're standing still.
Old 11-06-20, 06:28 AM
rubiksoval

I'm also speaking from a utility driver's perspective.

If the vehicle is only slightly slower than you, you make a pass and when the gradient gets a bit more level or positive, you slow down, now that driver has to pass you. Annoying in narrow mountain roads with plenty of no-passing segments and with traffic present.

What could make that more annoying? You pass that driver more than once. I personally found it annoying as a driver having to pass the same cyclist multiple times. Not the most relaxing move in narrow mountain roads.

So as a cyclist, that's another reason why I don't pass a vehicle if it's only slightly slower than me, except in a wider 3 lane road or more.

I know you'll have to scrub your brakes more - in relation to your post but that's a small price to pay for improving safety on the road. Avoid making drivers angry. An angry driver is more likely to make mistakes which is not good.
Why do you continue to make replies with hyper-specific examples that are only applicable to you? First you talk about challenging people's manhood and then getting killed because of it, now you talk about going back and forth passing with utility vehicles on mountain roads?

None of what you're writing has anything to do with what's being discussed.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.