Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

No More Daily Rides

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

No More Daily Rides

Old 11-19-12, 06:57 AM
Frankfast

Bikes: Kestrel Talon SL, Surly Steamroller, Equipe SS/FG Beater

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No More Daily Rides

I've decided to give up my daily ride because it has become less enjoyable and more stressful. After having two serious accidents with cars this past year, one ending up with me on the trunk of a car that cut me off, I'm giving it up and going to the gym instead. Drivers on cellphones, no respect for bicyclists, commuters late for work are too much for me to handle. I'm always wondering whether the driver coming from behind will see me even though I wear a safety vest and have a taillight flashing. I'll reserve my riding for weekends when there's less traffic and more bikes and group rides. So sad.
Old 11-19-12, 07:36 AM
GeorgeBMac

Bikes: 2012 Trek DS 8.5 all weather hybrid, 2008 LeMond Poprad cyclocross, 1992 Cannondale R500 roadbike

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't ride on roads -- partly because I fear them and partly because I have excellent Rails-to-Trails close at hand. Plus, the scenery is better on the trail.

But I do not find riding (or driving) on the weekends any better. Actually I usually find it worse as the weekend warriors are out in full force both on the roads and on the trails...

So, while off-road riding may not be for you, perhaps looking for alternatives would be in order: Perhaps taking a jaunt out into the country or sticking to residential streets would be safer?

I feel strongly that biking is very very good for you -- unless you run into something or something runs into you or you fall off -- then it ain't. I think the best is to ride lots and (find a way) to ride safe....
Old 11-19-12, 07:46 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
I ride on roads but avoid heavier traffic. I also enjoy bike paths and will link together friendly streets and paths on most rides.

You might have to drive to or use train travel to access good locations with bike friendly roads. Just avoid streets that have higher speed limits, roads that lack a safe shoulder and avoid rush hour.
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 11-19-12 at 07:49 AM.
Old 11-19-12, 09:30 AM
Shamrock

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Yea its rough out there.I plan my route to be away from traffic as much as possible. parks,office parks on weekends and take the bike on the car 45 mins away just for a less congested area.How bad is my area 2 walkers and one cyclist killed by auto within 200 yards of my house.Tried biking to work but it was a death wish,I even caught my wife drinking coffee and putting on makeup on her way to work,we are about a mile apart.The best part of mountain biking no cars,try it!
Old 11-19-12, 09:42 AM
David Bierbaum

Bikes: 1992 Specialized Crossroads (red)

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 19 Posts
I don't think I could bike on roads in an area with no breaks in traffic. I never "take control" of lanes, but instead, I stop and make sure there are NO CARS, before doing anything involving intersections. I never get cut off that way, but it takes zen-like patience to just wait things out the way I do. Even driving, I've taken to the "I'm not in any hurry at all" school of cautious (paranoid) driving, since impatience never gains you any significant fraction of time, while greatly increasing your chances of getting into an accident. Since I live in the suburbs (though the "urbs" are slowly encroaching on our territory), I don't have to deal with the kind of traffic that would force me to use "take control of the lane", for which I am quite thankful. I must add this thought to my "thanks-giving" list!

Country roads are less stressful, traffic-wise, yet I find that the dogs more than make up the difference in providing adequate levels of stress...
Old 11-19-12, 09:47 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Frankfast, I'm sorry to hear about your cycling stress. It's supposed to be enjoyable and rewarding. When riding becomes stressful, you have to make a change (and only you can know this). I hope that you are able to ride regularly again one day. Maybe you'll leave the city?
Old 11-19-12, 10:02 AM
Frankfast

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
Frankfast, I'm sorry to hear about your cycling stress. It's supposed to be enjoyable and rewarding. When riding becomes stressful, you have to make a change (and only you can know this). I hope that you are able to ride regularly again one day. Maybe you'll leave the city?
Unfortunately where I'm working there is only one road to ride. Although it is very scenic, parallels a beach, there is no shoulder and the speeds are high. While most drivers are considerate and take a wide swing around you, some come too close and if you don't keep a steady line, you will be in trouble. There is little margin for error. I've decided worrying about it takes the joy out of it. On weekends it's easier to catch a group and I feel much safer. Drivers also realize that there are many more bikes on the road. I'll give up the solo rides.
Old 11-19-12, 11:02 AM
Rootman

Bikes: 2015 Giant Roam 2 Hybrid

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Yeah, I hear yah, nary a week goes by that I don't get caught by something stupid like what you mention. I jus take extra precaution and hope for the best.

Now the turn back from daylight saving time is what REALLY sucks and prevents me from riding, I wish they would just leave it as is and have the longer evenings all year long. I leave for work in the dark and arrive home dang near dusk. I hope for good weather on the weekends.
Old 11-19-12, 11:43 AM
Jimbo47

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I know exactly how you feel, and it's no fun having to worry about getting run over by someone who is in a hurry and not paying attention, which with most everyone owning a cell phone, your chances of getting run over are pretty high.
Usually Sunday mornings is the best time for me to take to the roads, but after around 10:00 a.m. the traffic begins to pick up. I'm thankful that I have several bike trails that I can ride 7 days a week, and I don't have to deal with the traffic or I wouldn't be able to ride either.
Old 11-19-12, 12:09 PM
Frankfast

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Usually Sunday mornings is the best time for me to take to the roads, but after around 10:00 a.m. the traffic begins to pick up. I'm thankful that I have several bike trails that I can ride 7 days a week, and I don't have to deal with the traffic or I wouldn't be able to ride either.[/QUOTE]

I'm working in San Juan, Puerto Rico and my ride takes me 23 miles along the beach east of the city. Sunday mornings is the best time to ride and it's best to get out by 7:00AM and get back by 9:00AM. Biking is big here on the weekends and there are many group rides with riders on the latest gear and colorful apparel. They take it seriously and it's great. I feel safe at that time and to a lesser degree on Saturday mornings. But they disappear during the week except for an occasional solo rider and I've been warned by my co-workers that it's a dangerous habit. Apparently there are numerous incidents of riders getting killed here. It's too bad because you can ride all year round here. I'll resume my daily rides when I return to New York next year. There are many roads near my home where there is not much traffic and very scenic. The only problem being there are a lot more hills.
Old 11-19-12, 12:27 PM
chasm54
Banned.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Frankfast
?..I've been warned by my co-workers that it's a dangerous habit. Apparently there are numerous incidents of riders getting killed here.
You don't have to be riding in Puerto Rico to be told by non-cyclists that cycling is dangerous. BUt they are almost always mistaken. If I were you I'd check the stats rather than be frightened out of an activity whose health benefits outweigh its risks by a very wide margin. It is quite likely that your co-workers don't know what they are talking about and are influenced, as many people are, by the fact that accidents get publicised; unlike the many millions of miles that are cycled without incident.
Old 11-19-12, 01:01 PM
NOS88

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
It is truly unfortunate that you've had two incidents in such a short time. We each make the decisions we think are best. I trust when you think it safe to leave the gym, you'll know. In the meantime, enjoy getting your exercise indoors (I find that especially hard to do, but there are many who have just the opposite experience.).
Old 11-19-12, 01:21 PM
osco53
Old Fart In Training

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
The game

I play a game called 'I am Invisible'
I also ride a Motcycle,,Imma two wheel junkie..

I ride human powered and gasoline two wheelers in traffic and never seem to have close calls,,,ever..
Is it skill or luck ? who knows.
The cagers(Cars) go where they will and they never see me so I ride like that,,,I am where they are not !
Never in a blind spot,
NEVER EVER without a 'Way Out'

A scenario :
Your Bookin down the road and deeply focused on the ride, all aspects of it, Your stuff is tight an your on top of things.
Something happens out infront of you, a car's sudden no signal lane change, a sudden brain fart by another driver a car, truck, or bike,,whatever. You react correctly, you had your front brake coverd with two fingers right? You were ready with a "way out", a speed adjustment,,again,,,what ever, Hazard avoided, everything is cool,,,

NOW at this instant you are in danger. Maybe your pissed or your shoulders are tense,,or you wanna flip somebody off. DON'T Do It.
You need to make an Immediate "Threat Scan".
You Must check your six and more.
Combat soldiers are taught this, As soon as a threat is Iliminated they Must make an quick precise scan of the area, all directions.
They are taught to swing their head from side to side,,to "Take It all in"
Don't forget to check your Six,,Thats look behind you.
While you were focused on the problem everything changed all arround you.
People who are involved in a deadly encounter, Police,,civilians who ever get "Tunnel vision".
It has been proven that your field of View, your Peripheral vision can be reduced to as little as 1 or 2 degress.
Thats like looking through a 2 inch pipe, you see nothing to the sides.
Your brain has temporarily been denied road input, You MUST update all visual information ASAP.

Ride on,,and on,,
Likes For osco53:
Old 11-19-12, 01:25 PM
Frankfast

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NOS88
It is truly unfortunate that you've had two incidents in such a short time. We each make the decisions we think are best. I trust when you think it safe to leave the gym, you'll know. In the meantime, enjoy getting your exercise indoors (I find that especially hard to do, but there are many who have just the opposite experience.).
Thanks. Worked up a good sweat today on the treadmill and the elliptical. My Ipod will help me get through it. Also there is a huge unused swimming pool right next to the machines. All of this within the grounds of my condo. It couldn't be more convenient. And I can now look forward to the weekend rides.
Old 11-23-12, 12:52 PM
Timtruro

Bikes: Aegis Trident (Big Red)

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Did a ride with a friend last summer, part of which took us onto a narrow two lane road. We both just missed being clipped by the mirror of a small RV. Dangerously close, I'd say he missed us by inches. There was subsequently a chance to get onto a bike path and so we did. Riding the road never used to bother me but lately it really does. Cellphone use, texting, and an aging population only adds to my trepidation.
Old 02-02-20, 11:14 AM
whitecat

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Timtruro
Did a ride with a friend last summer, part of which took us onto a narrow two lane road. We both just missed being clipped by the mirror of a small RV. Dangerously close, I'd say he missed us by inches. There was subsequently a chance to get onto a bike path and so we did. Riding the road never used to bother me but lately it really does. Cellphone use, texting, and an aging population only adds to my trepidation.
Thata why it is long overdue that someone finally makes bike-mount mini rocket automatic launcher. Nothing big, just has to have enough punch to flip a car or a truck off the road. Punch 4 inch hole cleanly trough them.
Likes For whitecat:
Old 02-02-20, 08:12 PM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Bikes: Orbea

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 170 Posts
Indoor online riding may be the best option for many of us now a days. Unfortunately.
Old 02-02-20, 08:23 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 225 Posts
Originally Posted by whitecat
Thata why it is long overdue that someone finally makes bike-mount mini rocket automatic launcher. Nothing big, just has to have enough punch to flip a car or a truck off the road. Punch 4 inch hole cleanly trough them.
Zombie thread alert!
Old 02-02-20, 08:59 PM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 256 Posts
Originally Posted by whitecat
Remember this form Delta Force? Yeah, I know it is a motorcycle, but close enough?

Last edited by Cougrrcj; 02-03-20 at 07:04 PM.
Likes For Cougrrcj:
Old 02-03-20, 08:34 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1384 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 819 Posts
I keep asking myself whether motorists have grown increasingly hostile and/or distracted or whether I am just getting more timid as I age. It may be both, but I strongly suspect the former. Motorists are more isolated ever from the task of driving, and the touchscreen controls, cell phones, navigation aids, etc. are making matters much worse. Also, as occupant protection increases, there may be some risk compensation, with motorists receiving a false sense of security from that 5-star crash rating and those 8 airbags. All I know is that I ride far less than I would otherwise wish. I do a lot of fast walking, and I lift weights three times/week at the local YMCA, but I know I need more cardio, at least compared with the amount I got when I was cycling 2000+ miles/year.

Drivers are getting worse all the time, and they are getting away with mayhem. Some cyclists aren't any better.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 02-06-20, 12:18 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1511 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 454 Posts
I hope things have gotten better for OP in the ensuing 8 or so years since this thread was started. Bike-launched RPGs? Read the adventures of Spike Bike.
https://stason.org/TULARC/sports/bic...pike-Bike.html
Old 02-25-20, 02:04 AM
JackieYan

Bikes: Merida Big Seven

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts
Yes, it's the drivers on cellphones that in Thailand are one of the main causes of accidents.

Sometimes witnesses say they saw the driver on the phone - sometimes texting too - immediately before the accident.
If the police can be bothered and check the call details with the service provider, often it's proved they were using their phone at the time of the accident.
Old 02-29-20, 06:52 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 634 Posts
Being in the snow belt, I dont ride in the winter. I go to the gym and ride the recumbent bike there. even tho it has a TV mounted on it, it is extremely boring.

In the summer I ride in the safer places. Lincoln has a 130 mile hard surface trail system, and I ride neighborhood streets. I never ride on the heavily used main streets.