Go Back  Bike Forums > News & Suggestions > Forum Suggestions & User Assistance
Reload this Page >

Forum logging me off every 3 minutes

Notices
Forum Suggestions & User Assistance Have a suggestion for the forums? Need help with the Forums? Post here.

Old 05-24-14, 01:12 PM
rdlange

Bikes: '76 Peugeot Mixte UE-18, Bridgestone 'Submariner' picklefork mixte, Bridgestone KABUKI picklefork mixte, TREK MT220

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 2 Posts

Every time i am typing a message it logs me off before i'm done and i lose the message when i try to post or upload a picture.!!!

It's worse than listening to all the arrogant elitists and hipster/flippers with nasty mouth bad attitudes.

Where is the magic key to reset my 'on' time...**********
Old 05-24-14, 01:12 PM
daihard 
Just a person on bike

Bikes: 2015 Trek 1.1, 2021 Specialized Roubaix, 2022 Tern HSD S+

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 56 Posts
Originally Posted by rdlange
Every time i am typing a message it logs me off before i'm done and i lose the message when i try to post or upload a picture.!!!

It's worse than listening to all the arrogant elitists and hipster/flippers with nasty mouth bad attitudes.

Where is the magic key to reset my 'on' time...**********
That never happens to me. Which browser do you use?

The value of your life doesn't change based on the way you travel. - Dawn Schellenberg (SDOT)
Old 05-24-14, 01:18 PM
rdlange

Bikes: '76 Peugeot Mixte UE-18, Bridgestone 'Submariner' picklefork mixte, Bridgestone KABUKI picklefork mixte, TREK MT220

Not the browser, it's the forum settings. Problem same with Explorer, Chrome, Firefox. Other forums do the same thing, but give you a link to set your 'time on'. Where's is that for this forum???

did it again while I was typing this. Fortunately I 'saved' the text to reinsert after having to re-log in again.
Old 05-24-14, 01:27 PM
Juha
Formerly Known as Newbie

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
When you log in, do you tick the "Remember Me" -checkbox?

Who is this General Failure anyway, and why is he reading my drive?

Become a Registered Member in Bike Forums
Community guidelines
Old 05-24-14, 01:30 PM
daihard 
Just a person on bike

Bikes: 2015 Trek 1.1, 2021 Specialized Roubaix, 2022 Tern HSD S+

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 56 Posts
Originally Posted by rdlange
Not the browser, it's the forum settings. Problem same with Explorer, Chrome, Firefox. Other forums do the same thing, but give you a link to set your 'time on'. Where's is that for this forum???
I have no idea. I haven't changed my forum settings since I signed up, and never once has it logged me out in the middle of typing. Could it be Windows? I use Linux and OS X.

The value of your life doesn't change based on the way you travel. - Dawn Schellenberg (SDOT)
Old 05-24-14, 01:33 PM
cuzzinit

Bikes: motorized cruiser,& Mtn bike & Folder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Constant issue i'm on several web forums at a time and they don't do that, very often at all. this one does no matter what wifi or browser i use
Old 05-24-14, 02:20 PM
CbadRider

Bikes: Specialized Allez, Specialized Sirrus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Juha
When you log in, do you tick the "Remember Me" -checkbox?
I am never randomly logged off when I check the Remember Me box when logging on.

Forum Guidelines *click here*
Old 05-25-14, 06:14 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3649 Post(s)
Liked 5,382 Times in 2,732 Posts
The question could have been asked without the rant. Less chance of foot- in -mouth that way.
Old 05-25-14, 10:37 AM
rdlange

Now using 'remember me' when I log in and will continue. On other forums checking that is 'supposed to' just make the forum remember my login info until I wipe cookies. Maybe the problem is skipping around multiple forums.

I'll be glad if it works and thank you for the advise. Hope it helps others.
Old 05-26-14, 05:24 AM
Tom Stormcrowe
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.

Bikes: Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
Simplicity itself. Under your log in, there's a little check box that says "remember Me". See the attached screenshot. Also, you must accept cookies for full site functionality.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
remember me.jpg (99.7 KB, 10 views)

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant
Old 06-09-14, 01:12 AM
capsicum
Evil Genius

Bikes: '92 novara ponderosa, '74 schwinn le tour, Novara fusion, novara transfer, novara randonee(2), novara careema pro, novara bonita(2).

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm having the same issue, it seems to be a recent development,(though I'm not on very frequently these days)
And no "remember me" is not the answer, it is just a kludgey workaround for an actual problem the forum is having. "remember me" is intended for people who would like to close their browser/tabs and stay logged in long term.
This is an issue with the current session timing out in a very short time, using the same tab and browser window that was used to log in.
Firefox 29.0.1 Manjaro(Arch) stable build, if your curious.
Old 06-09-14, 01:31 PM
alaskanb3arcub

Bikes: Forest Green Dahon Boardwalk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
the forums aren't remembering my login either, even after wiping cookies and cache.
Old 06-09-14, 01:48 PM
CbadRider

Bikes: Specialized Allez, Specialized Sirrus

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have notified IB to take a look at it.

Forum Guidelines *click here*
Old 06-09-14, 02:05 PM
Giant Doofus

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm having the same issue. It started about a week ago for me.
Old 06-09-14, 04:31 PM
Tom Stormcrowe
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.

When you log in,
1) accept cookies
2) Ch4ck the remember me box
3) Disable adblockers since the forums are heavily graphic driven and it will become more and more difficult overe time to access the fprums while running adblockers, unfortunately and they are also a TOS violation. We try to keep the ads nonintrusive. We don't run popup ads for example, by choice although some adserver networks will occasionally slip one in on us, and when we find it, we block it as a violation of their contract, so report with screenshots if you get those. The adserver game runs too fastr though fpr preapproval on ads, unfortunately, so we'l alwauys be stuck iun reactive vs proactive mode there.

Old 06-15-14, 05:36 PM
rdlange

After following all the suggestions it keeps me logged in as long as I keep the window open. If I close it or it jumps to a linked window for more than 3 min, I get auto logged out.
Old 06-15-14, 10:43 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Did you try unchecking the option to delete the browser history on exit? I gather you might not be using IE (and I'm Win 7/IE11) but I'm almost certain you have missed something when the browser was updated. Please go back over your settings and see if any were reset to defaults or changed during the upgrade.

In case you are wondering BF is using the same vBulletin version it has had for a long time.
Old 07-21-14, 10:09 PM
Ritterview
Tandem Vincitur

Bikes: BMC Pro Machine SLC01, Specialized Globe, Burley Rock 'N Roll tandem, Calfee Dragonfly tandem.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've been on BF for years, but the last several months I've been logged off after about 3 minutes. I'm using Chrome. I don't want to go on some safari to find out why this is happening, I just want an answer. The Remember Me checkoff box doesn't do it. I don't see where it asks me about cookies. I'm supposedly a Premium Member, so ads shouldn't be an issue.

This is a MAJOR PROBLEM, I hesitate to go to BF, because I'm tired of being logged off.

Strava Tandem Club
Old 07-22-14, 01:43 PM
Tom Stormcrowe

Part of the problem, I can't replicate the problem on any of my computers or browsers. I've tried everything from IE to an ancient copy of netscape1.0 and various OS from Mac to Linux, to Open BSD to Windows XP, Vista, 7 AND 8, and still stay logged in. I even stay logged in using Lynx, which strips style and presents the forums in raw code mode and even tried obscure browsers like Sea Monkey.

Old 07-22-14, 08:14 PM
alaskanb3arcub

Bikes: Forest Green Dahon Boardwalk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It hasn't happened to me(using chrome) in the last month.
Old 07-22-14, 08:37 PM
Deal4Fuji
minimalist cyclist

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1119 Post(s)
Liked 1,638 Times in 943 Posts
Originally Posted by Ritterview
I've been on BF for years, but the last several months I've been logged off after about 3 minutes. I'm using Chrome. I don't want to go on some safari to find out why this is happening, I just want an answer. The Remember Me checkoff box doesn't do it. I don't see where it asks me about cookies. I'm supposedly a Premium Member, so ads shouldn't be an issue.

This is a MAJOR PROBLEM, I hesitate to go to BF, because I'm tired of being logged off.
It's happened to me from the my start in March, if I stay on a thread too long I time-out. I don't just surf my favorite sub-forums, but try to look over all the new posts when getting on the site. I don't read them all, but click on what looks interesting. Sometimes I'll have 15 - 20 pages of new threads and I rarely make it through all of them before being logged off. 10 pages & under is usually no problem unless I spend a long time on a thread. One other thing I've noticed and wanted to ask : Sometimes I can hold the mouse pointer over the thread topic and read the 1st paragraph of the thread to see if I'm interested....but on what seems like every other page - holding the mouse pointer over the topic brings up nothing ??? Am I the only one getting that ?

Just a FYI - Like ritterview I don't want to have to turn off all my pop-up blockers every time I get on BF.
Old 07-22-14, 08:44 PM
Roopull

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It happens to me frequently... no ad blocker, not playing with cookies, remember me is checked. Chrome.

Honestly, I have just left the site after being logged off. Annoying.

Thankfully, I type faster than I pedal.
Old 07-28-14, 03:17 AM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
In case you may not have noticed, it seems to me that you can EXCLUDE sites from the pop-up blocker, at least you can in Windows 7...which I use...even mark them as TRUSTED.

I suggest you check you browser's settings and Help files or web search for more information.

Originally Posted by Deal4Fuji
It's happened to me from the my start in March, if I stay on a thread too long I time-out. I don't just surf my favorite sub-forums, but try to look over all the new posts when getting on the site. I don't read them all, but click on what looks interesting. Sometimes I'll have 15 - 20 pages of new threads and I rarely make it through all of them before being logged off. 10 pages & under is usually no problem unless I spend a long time on a thread. One other thing I've noticed and wanted to ask : Sometimes I can hold the mouse pointer over the thread topic and read the 1st paragraph of the thread to see if I'm interested....but on what seems like every other page - holding the mouse pointer over the topic brings up nothing ??? Am I the only one getting that ?

Just a FYI - Like ritterview I don't want to have to turn off all my pop-up blockers every time I get on BF.
Old 08-15-14, 02:42 PM
Ritterview
Tandem Vincitur

Bikes: BMC Pro Machine SLC01, Specialized Globe, Burley Rock 'N Roll tandem, Calfee Dragonfly tandem.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have gone through Chrome, and made all the adjustments I can to privilege Bike Forums. I still get logged off as before.

Is this problem of any concern to Admin? One wouldn't get the impression that it is from this torpid thread.

Strava Tandem Club
Old 08-16-14, 12:18 AM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2427 Post(s)
Liked 1,401 Times in 896 Posts
I'll send this upstairs.
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.