Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

zipp 404 noise

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

zipp 404 noise

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-11, 03:14 PM
Stadzen

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
zipp 404 noise

Hey

i have a problem with my zipp back wheel. It makes noise when i put on some power, especially when i go uphill. I have opened and cleaned/lubricated inside the bearings, the sound went away for some time... but came back on the second trip. Maybe i need to do it more properly? Someone told me that i had to put the wheel in a specific way when i put it on the bike, if not it would make some noise. They don´t remember exactly what the trick was with placing the wheel , but i hope that maybe some of u guys know it? The noise sounds like the spokes are cracking.. any solutions?

ty for answers
Old 08-12-11, 03:28 PM
danvuquoc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just went through something like this for the front wheel. The rear wheel can get even more complicated.

Check for the following:
- Loose spokes
- Overly tight spokes
- Dry unlubricated rear skewer
- Wheel sits flush in the dropouts
- Skewer is tight enough
- Cassette lockring is torqued to spec
- RD high/low is fine as is cable tension and hanger is not bent.
- Tube stem isn't knocking around
- Axle end caps are torqued appropriately, evenly, and not bone dry.

Even then, something that SOUNDS like its coming from the rear wheel could in fact be coming from another part of the bike. You may want to supplement your first post with exactly how often the sound happens, as in, -- on the power -- every pedal revolution or wheel revolution etc.
Old 08-12-11, 03:39 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Liked 1,324 Times in 569 Posts
Latest editions have common flaws that most people seem to encounter. 1. Their bearings are grossly undersized for the application and they just simply wear out. 2. Spokes tend to pop.

There's about 1,000 things you can do to help start to narrow down the specific issue. I'm going out to dinner. Someone in here will start a list. If you don't find the solution or I get bored tonight I'll pop back in here with some options.

Old 08-12-11, 04:53 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Liked 893 Times in 458 Posts
i have a Zipp 404, circa 2004, that was making horrible creaking popping noises. Checked the skewer, Fussed with spoke tension. Nothing helped.

Ended up puting new bearings in it, and rebuilding the wheel with new spokes. Rides like new now.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 08-13-11, 02:49 PM
soma5
Hanging On

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
i have a Zipp 404, circa 2004, that was making horrible creaking popping noises. Checked the skewer, Fussed with spoke tension. Nothing helped.

Ended up puting new bearings in it, and rebuilding the wheel with new spokes. Rides like new now.
Surprising that it would spin well with any sort of bearing issue. Zipps do make strange noises. My Firecrest 404's make weird noises that I'm tracking down and dealing with now. I have the hub apart and I'm taking a break now. My first reaction is "lube, lube, lube." Including spoke crosses and where the nipple seats into the rim.
Old 08-13-11, 04:02 PM
Daerkon

Bikes: Seven Odonata

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
I get a similar noise in my 404's though I am not sure it is the rear specifically. They are loud wheels in several ways but one annoyance I have found is the sound of the long (80mm) valve stem on Vredesteins rattling or popping against the valve hole in the rim. Thin shrink wrap seems to be the best for killing the sound.
Old 08-13-11, 06:17 PM
soma5
Hanging On

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Daerkon
I get a similar noise in my 404's though I am not sure it is the rear specifically. They are loud wheels in several ways but one annoyance I have found is the sound of the long (80mm) valve stem on Vredesteins rattling or popping against the valve hole in the rim. Thin shrink wrap seems to be the best for killing the sound.
I take about 1.5" of electrical tape, put a hole in the center, pull it over the valve stem and stick it on the rim. I have been free of valve stem noise since I started doing this. I saw it on a photo of Fabian Cancellara's bike. I take no credit for this technique.
Old 08-14-11, 12:00 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Liked 893 Times in 458 Posts
Originally Posted by soma5
Surprising that it would spin well with any sort of bearing issue. .
I think the spokes/ nipples creaking was more likely the noise cause but after 7 years and 20,000 plus miles replacing the cartridge bearings seemed reasonable.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.