Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Anyone tour with a shotgun?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Anyone tour with a shotgun?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-09, 10:54 PM
zonatandem

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
You worry way to much . . .
Along with the shotgun, also carry a speargun and boat anchor in case you get flooded out somewhere . . .
The closest encounters we've had in the wild are deer . . . they tend to dart out in front of the bike.
Have seen hundreds of various wildlife on or near the roadside, usually they will avoid you.
Old 12-05-09, 01:07 AM
DVC45

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
Carry a Glock 20 with 2 mags, fully loaded with 10mm hunting ammo. Practice some triple tap drills before you go on your trip. Good luck!
Old 12-05-09, 01:22 AM

Bikes: Two Robin Mather custom built tourers

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Try reading this article, which does recommend a type of shotgun if you insist on carrying one but also points out that by far the best defence is common sense.

https://dnr.alaska.gov/parks/safety/bears.htm

This article on Firearms, Bears and Bear Spray also concludes a gun is not the best option:

* In 72 incidents of people using bear spray to defend themselves against aggressive bears in Alaska, 98% were uninjured, and those that were suffered only minor injuries.
* In 300 incidents where people carried and used firearms for protection against aggressive bears in Alaska, 40% were injured or killed, including 23 fatalities and 16 severely injured persons. Another 48 people suffered lesser injuries.

The author adds: "In my research, hunters were generally unable to fire a shot before the bear slammed into them. Some hunters couldn’t get the safety off, others short-stroked the bolt and jammed the cartridge, yet others, out of habit, tried to ‘scope’ the bear, losing critical seconds while failing to zero in.

With a can of bear spray on one’s hip or pack strap, it is simply a matter of pointing and shooting. In areas of poor visibility I always have a can of spray in my hand. It is easily carried over a finger and isn’t as clumsy as a firearm is in the field-ready position. All that is required is pointing the nozzle in the general direction and pushing a button. Accuracy is not nearly as critical as it is with a firearm. You can’t ‘wound’ a bear with bear spray. It also eliminates problems with sticking bolt actions, jamming shells, and hard-to-find safety mechanisms."
Old 12-05-09, 11:08 AM
Braldar

Bikes: Mid 90's Trek 830, Early 90's Giant Innova, 60's Rollfast Starlight, '06 We The People

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Take this posting into account when considering what to do about a bear...

https://www.sportscomet.com/Hunting/182569.htm

While I'm all for carrying a gun, I think I would come up with another option when dealing with a bear.

BTW, I imagine the size of the bear was either estimated or exaggerated. This was the only instance of this story I've seen that included the size...

This one is a little more specific, but again is just a post...

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...4013715AAPFxqo

Last edited by Braldar; 12-05-09 at 11:20 AM.
Old 12-05-09, 12:35 PM
arctos
40 yrs bike touring

Bikes: Bruce Gordon Ti Rock N Road [1989], Fat Chance Mountain Tandem [1988], Velo Orange Neutrino (2020)

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
On my kayak and bicycle touring trips in Grizzly, Black, Alaskan Brown and Polar Bear country I only carried a shotgun in Polar Bear terrain on my kayak.

I may have been extremely fortunate over the years not carry a firearm. Instead I use what are considered clean camp and good food storage techniques. I avoid surprising bears by using bear bells on my bike or me while in bear country. I do not grill food and stand in the smoke so my clothes can absorb the smells that tantalize bears later. I do not clean fish or game and leave the entrails in or near camp. I do not bring canned food and leave the cans around as bear bait. Using these methods, I have had Alaskan Brown Bears and Grizzly Bears wander through my camps frequently but they just seem to pass through after not finding anything to interest them.

I learned these techniques while living in NW Montana adjacent to the Yaak region known for its Grizzly bear population. There are no guarantees that these methods will always work but experience tells me that they help a lot to minimize problems.
Old 12-05-09, 01:48 PM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Originally Posted by avatarworf
The author adds: "In my research, hunters were generally unable to fire a shot before the bear slammed into them. Some hunters couldn’t get the safety off, others short-stroked the bolt and jammed the cartridge, yet others, out of habit, tried to ‘scope’ the bear, losing critical seconds while failing to zero in.
Here's a quote from a recent article (https://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-col...ly-attack.html) describing a grizzly bear attack while two hunters were asleep:

""I closed the bolt on the gun, thinking I have a bullet in and pushed the bear up because I didn't want to shoot my friend," Hebert said.

Hebert thought he had a clear shot and squeezed the trigger, but only heard a "click." He had not pushed the bullet all the way into position in the gun."
Old 12-05-09, 03:13 PM
Eternal_Tourist
'ave it!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the good on topic info (especially Avatarwolf) I don't know why everyone is so intent on dissuading me from bringing a gun along. I'm going to do it one way or another so don't bother.

It's worthy of mention that I'm quite proficient with firearms. I know how to deal with failure to fire situations and I am trained to deal with much craftier and deadlier predators than bears so I should be fine under pressure.

I think I'll just buy the shotgun scabbard I saw on the Cabelas website and throw a stuff sack over the stock when riding through cities and towns.

Also, I don't know why so many are assuming I know nothing about bears. I've spent many months of my life living, working, and spending leisure time in the company of bears, some people just prefer to be armed and I am one of those people.

Maybe now this thread can be laid to rest.
Old 12-05-09, 08:40 PM
The Impossipede

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Eternal_Tourist
Thanks for the good on topic info (especially Avatarwolf) I don't know why everyone is so intent on dissuading me from bringing a gun along. I'm going to do it one way or another so don't bother.
I'm very pro-gun, but I think the major studies on this all prove pretty conclusively that pepper spray is a far superior weapon against bear. And it's about 7 pounds lighter. Even if you're more afraid of two-legged threats than the bears, I figure a handgun would be the better gear for a bike-tour.

Nothing wrong with preferring to be armed, but I think the wise man chooses the best tool for the job.
Old 12-06-09, 01:02 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 2,058 Posts
https://world.guns.ru/shotgun/sh20-e.htm

https://savvysurvivor.com.cnchost.com...t_shotguns.htm

Last edited by dedhed; 12-06-09 at 01:05 AM.
Old 12-06-09, 08:54 AM
imi
aka Timi

Bikes: Bianchi Lupo (touring) Bianchi Volpe (commuter), Miyata On Off Road Runner

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 99 Posts
Just wondering what one would do after successfully peppar-spraying an aggressive bear? Get the f out of there and come back later to pick your gear up? Or does the bear typically take off after being sprayed and not come back?
Old 12-06-09, 07:11 PM
semperfi1970

Bikes: trek 4800, trek 4300, trek 1.5, nashbar touring frame build, 1985 takara medalion, 1982 motobicane mirage sport and a few pieced together rigs

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Eternal-tourist, take what makes you happy. I would keep the 12ga. rolled up in a old issue rubber ***** after I cut the stock off. Loose the slugs and go with 00buck. One is to assume you are or were a soldier, god bless.
Old 12-06-09, 07:59 PM
nahh
on your left.

Bikes: Scott SUB 30, Backtrax MTB

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've camped where there are a lot of bears..and live near the highest concentration of black bears in the world. You really don't need to worry this much, when you're actually at risk of a bear attack is when you're quiet in your tent, and all the yummy food is outside on your bike. In that case, that 12ga. won't do you any good. bummer, i know.
Old 12-07-09, 04:18 AM
tmac100

Bikes: More bicycles than I can ride at one time: 2 custom made tourers, a Brompton 6-speed, and an Indian-made roadster.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
I've been thinking about bringing a shotgun with me on more remote areas or areas with lots of bears. Call me crazy but I feel a lot better having a 12 gauge slug as a last resort rather than bear spray. My question to you is how to carry it so it's not super obvious but not inaccessible? I thought of putting a shotgun scabbard on my front rack (it's a Surly Nice Rack) because there's plenty of rail there to attach it to and it's handy to grab in an emergency. Anyone done anything like this? Any ideas? tips? I know it's not as big a deal in the US but here in Canada even a lot of cops think anyone with a gun is a crook so I'm keen on tips involving discretion within towns. Kind of surprised more covert cases aren't available.

Anyways...
You will need to carry your FAC and registration for the shotgun. That is a legal necessity. Then of course, check with the wildlife/game warden types to see if carrying the shotgun will cause suspicion regarding "hunting out of season"...

There are more issues, but those are several you should definitely nail down. Carrying a firearm "for protection" does not wash a LOT with Canadian police.....
Old 12-07-09, 06:53 AM
ocho

Bikes: 2009 Salsa Fargo; 2009 Scott CX Team; 2007 Trek 7.5FX; 2010 Specialized Rockhopper 29 Expert; 1990 GT Timberline; Custom Raleigh CrMo roadbike from forever ago

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I know how to deal with failure to fire situations and I am trained to deal with much craftier and deadlier predators than bears so I should be fine under pressure.
That statement proves you know nothing about bears, or at least have very little field experience with them. I think you will run afoul of local firearm ordinances before you encounter any bear. Thankfully.
Old 12-08-09, 10:10 AM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Originally Posted by tmac100
You will need to carry your FAC and registration for the shotgun. That is a legal necessity. Then of course, check with the wildlife/game warden types to see if carrying the shotgun will cause suspicion regarding "hunting out of season"...

There are more issues, but those are several you should definitely nail down. Carrying a firearm "for protection" does not wash a LOT with Canadian police.....
Sometimes it's better to ask forgiveness than permission. Provided the gun is concealed there is pretty much zero probability of any problems with the police. They are not going to search an innocent looking cyclist.

I came across a black bear on a logging road once. He moved out of sight off to the side and I rode by as fast as I could. Not sure my heart rate would have been any lower if I was carrying a shotgun but I can see it being useful while hiking or camping.
Old 12-09-09, 10:15 AM
leftcoast

Bikes: Trek 520 - Cannondale Synapse

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Whay not just carry a few grenades in your handle bar bag. Quick access, they take up very little space and you wouldn't even have to stop your bike to use them.

Last edited by leftcoast; 12-09-09 at 10:48 PM.
Old 12-10-09, 10:18 AM
browell

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"I may have been extremely fortunate over the years not carry a firearm. Instead I use what are considered clean camp and good food storage techniques. I avoid surprising bears by using bear bells on my bike or me while in bear country. I do not grill food and stand in the smoke so my clothes can absorb the smells that tantalize bears later. I do not clean fish or game and leave the entrails in or near camp. I do not bring canned food and leave the cans around as bear bait. Using these methods, I have had Alaskan Brown Bears and Grizzly Bears wander through my camps frequently but they just seem to pass through after not finding anything to interest them"

Sounds like very smart LNT commen sense camping techniques in bear country. There would be far fewer bear/human interactions if people took the time to learn and practice these techniques. Bear encounters scare the crap out of me. Only had to remove the safety clip from my bear spray once. I didn't feel to safe with that little can as my only defense. Good thing that bear took off before it got too close. I don't carry a gun but I think about getting one all the time.
Old 12-10-09, 12:06 PM
ddez

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Do not use 00 buck unless you want to just tick him/her off.You might just as well walk up and slap him/her in the chops as use 00 buck.
As said earlier by someone,they use 12 gauge with slugs to protect oil rig and pipeline outfits.Must work where there lives depend on it one would think.Money is no object there and thats what they use.At a distance if hunting them you would use very high power rifle,but for up close its shotgun.
Old 12-10-09, 12:15 PM
BengeBoy 

Bikes: 2009 Chris Boedeker custom; 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 2021 Bill Davidson custom gravel bike; 2022 Specialized Turbo Vado e-bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
My policy is to always travel with a companion, and sleep in separate tents. After my companion goes to sleep each night I toss an unwrapped pound of bacon into their tent and then return to my abode. Only problem so far is that I am running out of "friends."
Old 12-10-09, 12:43 PM
ddez

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
^^^^^^^Always when in bear country hang with people slower than you.
You can always tell bears are around by checking the poop you come across.It will have bear bells and whistles in it.
Old 12-10-09, 12:53 PM
spathfinder3408
spathfinder34089

Bikes: fuji s12s, Schwiin Le Tour, Puegot mtn. bike, Hiawatha crusier

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pretty hard to carry a 12 gauge on a bike. Get a 44 Magnum pistol and get hollow point bullets. Easier to carry and should do the job.
Old 12-10-09, 01:00 PM
spathfinder3408
spathfinder34089

Bikes: fuji s12s, Schwiin Le Tour, Puegot mtn. bike, Hiawatha crusier

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Forgot to tell you aim for a leg. A disabled bear can't chase you. Shoot and get the heck out of there. A head shot will bounce off his head. A bear shot in the heart can keep on coming for five minutes. Even a shot in the air may just scare a bear off. Ususally they don't want to hurt you, they just want your food. Good luck
Old 12-10-09, 01:09 PM
twodeadpoets
Training Wheel Graduate

Bikes: Bridgestone Grand Velo, Evans Randonneur (custom), Moser 51.151, Surly LHT & Pacer, Kona/FreeRadical, Trek 730, Trek 510

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As I mentioned earlier, I don't and probably wouldn't carry but also mentioned that a handgun might be lighter and more compact for touring. However since, I'm hearing a lot of advise about protection from bears and think if you're headed into the Alaska wilds and bent on bringing something then the shotgun advise might be best. I hunt with a shotgun and usually use 000 (very large buckshot) for deer because where I live I can usually get relatively close to them. This said, for defensive purposes against a bear or long range hunting, I would probably use slug with a rifled barrel and sites. In that case Mossberg and Remington make an inexpensive yet very reliable model.

Lastly, if you haven't handled a shotgun much it might in your interest to read up a bit as there are many options depending on what you're doing. There are certain ammunition you do NOT want to use with certain types of barrels, including the use of slugs in a choked barrel. Typically you should use slugs in a rifled barrel however, many shotguns come with a fully choked or partially choked barrel. Using slugs in a choked barrel will significantly decrease your accuracy and weaken the barrel over time until one day the metal becomes damage. At that point it is very possible the barrel could explode. SO make sure you're fully versed on shotgun types and usage before you head out. Some practice might be good to.
From a legal standpoint, if you're crossing state or international boarders make sure you fully understand the laws regarding travelling with guns (most relevant with handguns).
How to carry also depends on where you're at. In the Alaska wild where guns are a common site then you could probably strap it to a pannier maybe pointed up, or the top of a BOB. I wouldn't strap it to my bike as it might hinder your control of the bike. If you're headed across Wyoming, Montana, or Arizona then a scabboard might be a good idea. If you're riding through large towns or cities then a gun case disguised as something else might be a better idea.

Last edited by twodeadpoets; 12-10-09 at 01:18 PM.
Old 12-10-09, 06:00 PM
Climer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've done some backpacking and canoe camping in areas of BC with grizzly populations, and always carried a canister of "Bear Spray" which pretty much is potent pepper spray. Never had to use it, thankfully. The one moment that even came close was when I suddenly came face-to-face with a small black bear (about eight feet away) who immediately turned and ran like a bat out of hell, more scared than I was.

But I will say this... there's a huge benefit of carrying bear spray, apart from having to use it, and that is PEACE OF MIND. It makes you feel safer and more secure. When you're in that tent at night, and a mouse starts scrabbling next to your tent, your heart jumps into your throat, and if you have nothing at all, you feel quite naked. Several times I've wound up shouting at the top of my lungs when there's a noise next to the tent to scare off whatever it was. Even when walking along, carrying the spray relieves you somewhat of that subconscious worry. Of course the bear spray also doubles as protection against dogs or humans, keep it in your home or car when you're not touring if you want to (why let it linger in the garage).

I also carry some 151 high-proof rum when I'm backpacking. It might sound silly, but a good snort of that before going to bed makes you more relaxed so you don't get jumpy at every noise, especially when camping alone. 151 to save weight, and also it's a good fire-starter. Flammable.

Watch the incredible situation that happened to some river rafters. Not much they could have done to avoid this encounter.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2qYfCOxEYQ

How to survive a bear attack:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umGDD3ubR1U

There are plenty of other videos like that on YouTube.

I once made the mistake of reading a book that was nothing but a compilation of anecdotes of vicious bear attacks. So, the bear spray etc. is good peace of mind.

In terms of biking, one time while mountain biking down a trail through the woods in the Cascades, I rounded a corner and surprised a black bear who was in the bushes right next to the trail. It took off like a freight train. But that's the scary thing... if it had been a mother with a cub, it could have been a bad situation like with those rafters because I startled it at close range. The bike was just too quiet and fast for the bear to hear me coming. As most everyone knows, you should carry a bell in bear country that makes noise as you walk along to avoid startling the beast, and have a whistle.

In terms of tent camping, I've thought about carrying one of those little blast-horns that you use when sailing in the fog, etc. Some of them are pretty small. That would scare the bejeebers out of any bear, and quicker to mobilize than firecrackers, plus to get firecrackers would require a trip to an Indian reservation, at least in this state (WA).

To the original poster, good luck with the shotgun idea. Here in the States, it's a little more problematic carrying a firearm around (despite what our European friends think, we don't all go around packing heat The incredible glut of guns in our movies and television shows makes it seem like we do. I support your decision, by the way, and am not just trying to convince you to go with bear spray.
Old 12-10-09, 06:01 PM
Climer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Would someone please explain what a "BOB" is? I've seen it mentioned several times but don't know what it is. Thank you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.