Search
Notices
Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling Do you enjoy centuries, double centuries, brevets, randonnees, and 24-hour time trials? Share ride reports, and exchange training, equipment, and nutrition information specific to long distance cycling. This isn't for tours, this is for endurance events cycling

Bike for spring offroad double century

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-10, 02:19 PM
Skankingbiker

Bikes: AllCity Nature Boy, On-one Pompino) , Fuji Roubaix road bike, Niner EMD, Voodoo Hoodoo MTB, Surly Pugsley/Krampug, Performer Midracer Custom

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Bike for spring offroad double century

Last year I attempted an offroad double century in early spring. I did not finish due to health issues and poor equipment choice. I have signed up again this year and I am already thinking about equipment. The route is pretty much all peagravel rail-to-trail with short pavement stretches, but a very long chunky ATV trail thrown in the middle for good measure. Ride goes on regardless of weather, so there is potential for lot of mud. Last year, I rode my 26 mountain bike, but I used too wide of tires and killed myself. Right now, I am torn between the following bikes:

1. Rigid 26 in MTB; MTB gearing; 1.75 WTB all terain tires; plastic fenders; and soma sparrow handlebar.
2. Rigid 29er MTB; single speed 2:1 gearing; 700 x 42 continental cyclocross tires; plastic fenders; mustache bar.

While this is not a "race" per se; the group travels at a pretty good clip, as there is a lot of ground to cover.

Any ideas/comments/suggestions as to which of the two bikes about would be better suited for this venture?

Thanks.

[edit]: The course is almost all flat. The 26 is alum; the 29 is cromo

Last edited by Skankingbiker; 12-27-10 at 02:38 PM.
Old 12-27-10, 02:54 PM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
What event? I'm planning on attending the Almanzo. I've been told that a Cyclocross bike with 700x32 tires should be the best bike for the event.

The Almanzo is a 100 mile dirt road event in Minnesota. Nothing technical and no real hills to speak of, but the surface will punish a smaller tire with a 210 lbs cyclist like me to carry.

Tell us more about the route and event, please.
Old 12-27-10, 03:07 PM
Skankingbiker

Bikes: AllCity Nature Boy, On-one Pompino) , Fuji Roubaix road bike, Niner EMD, Voodoo Hoodoo MTB, Surly Pugsley/Krampug, Performer Midracer Custom

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
https://ballsride.blogspot.com/
Old 12-27-10, 03:22 PM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Route map: https://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=1500895 & https://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=1500901

Looks flat for the most part. It looks like it could be done on a CX bike.

I would want this: https://salsacycles.com/bikes/vaya/ or this: https://salsacycles.com/bikes/mamasita/ with a rigid fork.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 12-27-10 at 03:30 PM.
Old 12-27-10, 03:31 PM
Skankingbiker

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
No need for a suspension fork. It is all flat. I do not have a cross bike. I have a road bike, a 26 mtb, and a 29 mtb--both rigid. I am mostly interested in whether the larger wheel size will give me any advantage over the 26.
Old 12-27-10, 03:39 PM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Originally Posted by Skankingbiker
No need for a suspension fork. It is all flat. I do not have a cross bike. I have a road bike, a 26 mtb, and a 29 mtb--both rigid. I am mostly interested in whether the larger wheel size will give me any advantage over the 26.
AHHHhhhh.

Assuming that both bikes fit & function well, I would go with the 29er, especially with a rigid fork. You should have a smoother ride & less rolling resistance w/ the 29er.

What kinds of bikes were used by the other riders last year?
Old 12-27-10, 03:45 PM
Skankingbiker

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Mix of everything. Some CX; some 29ers; some 26 rigids; some 26 suspended. The cx guys seem to have a hard time on the larger rock ATV trail portion....
Old 12-27-10, 04:48 PM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Where was that? I know the roads between Mineral Point & Verona, but none of the trails.
Old 12-31-10, 03:17 PM
The Impossipede

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like the 29" wheels, but am leary of the single speed. Can you gear the 29er?
Old 12-31-10, 04:34 PM
buelito
train safe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
go with the single speed... I have an on-one 26" single speed that I am hoping to do an offroad century on in September (Shenendoah Mountain 100). It is a blast to ride. I like the idea of a 29er single speed- my buddy rides one, and it is definitely different from mine-- much smoother, but at the moment, I have the 26er, so that is what I will use.

train safde-
Old 01-03-11, 11:08 AM
OneIsAllYouNeed

Bikes: Chinook travel/gravel/family tandem, Chinook all-road, Motobecane fatbike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 25 Posts
Dude, that sounds like fun. I'd take the SS rigid 29er - probably with a bigger gear. If I were you, I'd estimate how fast the group is going to cruise, then make my gearing match that speed at a comfortable cadence.
Old 01-03-11, 11:50 AM
Skankingbiker

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
I think I have decided to take the 29er. Due to the weather and terrain, my draintrain on my 26 hardtail was shot last year, so a single speed seems to make sense, esp. with the flat terrain. Also, I have the 29er set up as a dingle speed, so I have a nice easy gear for singletrack, and then the standard 2:1 for flat trails, so I don't need to switch out the gearing. The 29er will probably be more stable, it will maintain momentum better, and I think the bigger wheels will help on loose rocks on the ATV trail section. Plus, the triangle is bigger, so I can fit a bigger frame bag. Just need to get some skinnier tires and mount a rear fender and I should be good to go.

Old 01-11-11, 03:00 PM
truman
It's true, man.

Bikes: Cannondale T1000, Inbred SS 29er, Supercaliber 29er, Crescent Mark XX, Burley Rumba Tandem

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, take the Vassago, but consider narrower cross tires for an advantage in rolling resistance. Gravel roads are easily run on 32-35mm tires and you'll drop a lot or rotating weight over a fat 29er shoe.

FOr gravel grinding, I run IRC Mythos 44's on rough stuff, and Schwalbe Marathon Cross 35's on everything else.

If you're not sure about your gearing, take a lockring tool and a different cog to leave with your support guy, or keep in your pack, if you're rolling solo, and change the cog if you need to.

5 minutes spent making your spin right for the terrain is better than than hours in the saddle wishing you had brought something else.
Old 01-20-11, 10:13 PM
electrik
Single-serving poster

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thinking of doing a imperial off-road this summer... singletrack and double... but i have no 29r! There will be some hills, so no single-speeds.

What sort of training do you do?
Old 01-21-11, 12:58 PM
Mordecai

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey dude, looks like a fine tool. However, keep in mind that when you throw smaller tires on there its going to lessen you gear inches... Check this out: https://www.sheldonbrown.com/gears/

Have fun,

M
Old 01-21-11, 05:55 PM
bmike
Bye Bye

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by electrik
Thinking of doing a imperial off-road this summer... singletrack and double... but i have no 29r! There will be some hills, so no single-speeds.

What sort of training do you do?
why no single speeds?
Old 01-21-11, 08:11 PM
electrik
Single-serving poster

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bmike
why no single speeds?
I don't have one... plus, i have a feeling this is going to be a sandy course where a high gear will be good.

Anybody done one of these and say a triple metric? How do they compare...?