Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Anybody got a cross-check?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Anybody got a cross-check?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-13, 09:56 PM
whatwolf
Unimatrix Zero

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RFC
Let me know what you find out. I just see $575.
I was talking about the direct from distributor price, not retail. $380. So far the space horse intrigues me most.
Old 04-04-13, 10:41 PM
4Rings6Stars
Señor Member

Bikes: Bedford, IF, Hampsten, DeSalvo, Intense Carbine 27.5, Raleigh Sports, Bianchi C.u.S.S, Soma DC Disc, Bill Boston Tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I'm with Noglider.

I have had a Cross Check and a Long Haul Trucker. I sold each one after only a few rides... It rode like a log with some wheels attached to it. Much happier with my Soma Double Cross disc - I've commuted on it in all weather (which my CC handled just fine) but have also ridden it from central MA to Burlington VT loaded with gear. I couldn't stand to be on the Cross Check for more than a half hour...

Since you work at the shop, maybe you can demo some of these bikes on extended rides to see how they actually feel. I think the CC is a great bike on paper, but there was something about it that just do it for me. I like(d) my $200 Mercier Kilo lock up bike better...

After next Monday when I have my free time and sanity back, I will finally finish my DeSalvo monstercross build and start commuting daily again. I installed some 29x1.75 Vee Rubber 12 tires a few nights ago and I am getting excited to put some real miles on it. Jstewse - is that what you have on your CC? How do you like them? What sort of riding do you do?
Old 04-05-13, 04:24 AM
gomango

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by 4Rings6Stars
I'm with Noglider.

I have had a Cross Check and a Long Haul Trucker. I sold each one after only a few rides... It rode like a log with some wheels attached to it. Much happier with my Soma Double Cross disc - I've commuted on it in all weather (which my CC handled just fine) but have also ridden it from central MA to Burlington VT loaded with gear. I couldn't stand to be on the Cross Check for more than a half hour...

Since you work at the shop, maybe you can demo some of these bikes on extended rides to see how they actually feel. I think the CC is a great bike on paper, but there was something about it that just do it for me. I like(d) my $200 Mercier Kilo lock up bike better...

After next Monday when I have my free time and sanity back, I will finally finish my DeSalvo monstercross build and start commuting daily again. I installed some 29x1.75 Vee Rubber 12 tires a few nights ago and I am getting excited to put some real miles on it. Jstewse - is that what you have on your CC? How do you like them? What sort of riding do you do?
A friend of ours led us through an hour and a half of hill training last night.

Most of us had pretty nice bicycles, including a Strong and several IFs.

I rode a friend's Colnago Super Prestige.

What did the leader ride?

A stickered up rusty black SS Cross Check that has been beaten to death.

So, I hear ya on the CC, but I still think it's all about the engine.

If you don't have the legs, nothing in the CC's frame will help or hurt you.

Again, when a person pays less than $500 for a new frameset, compromise is to be expected.
Old 04-05-13, 08:17 AM
jstewse

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 4Rings6Stars

I've got the Vee 12's but in 29x1.95. I think it's a great tire for the money. I ride it mostly on dirt and gravel, but they're plenty fast enough for paved in-between sections and grippy/volumous enough for buff single-track. I definitely recommend them for an all-around, gravel grinder sort of tire.

FWIW I was also looking at the Clement X'lpor line. Some good looking tires there if you haven't seen them already.
Old 04-05-13, 08:57 AM
Catnap 

Bikes: Zunow, 3Rensho, Look KG196

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 468 Times in 187 Posts
To answer some of the questions about my Traveler's Check:

- The fork is a Soma "classic curve" cyclocross/touring model made by Tange. about $140 on their website.
- The shifters are Suntour Command 7-speed models that have been converted to friction shifting front & back.

Looks like forks on the Soma and All-City bikes are the same ones as the "classic curve" on my bike, but painted.

Regarding the ride, I agree with Noglider that it's very neutral and unexciting, but in my opinion that's exactly what I want when touring or commuting. It's reassuring, especially fully loaded with panniers and comfortable even after 8 hours in the saddle. If I want a more lively ride, i have other bikes for that.
Old 04-05-13, 09:02 AM
RFC

Bikes: many

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by whatwolf
I was talking about the direct from distributor price, not retail. $380. So far the space horse intrigues me most.
I have to admit that I just want a bike named "Space Horse." Brilliant marketing!
Old 04-05-13, 09:06 AM
RFC

Originally Posted by gomango
A friend of ours led us through an hour and a half of hill training last night.

Most of us had pretty nice bicycles, including a Strong and several IFs.

I rode a friend's Colnago Super Prestige.

What did the leader ride?

A stickered up rusty black SS Cross Check that has been beaten to death.

So, I hear ya on the CC, but I still think it's all about the engine.

If you don't have the legs, nothing in the CC's frame will help or hurt you.

Again, when a person pays less than $500 for a new frameset, compromise is to be expected.
+1. LOL. Two nights ago, I did hill repeats on my CC SS. Totally trashed my legs, but I always come back noticeably stronger. It's both physical and mental training.
Old 04-05-13, 10:06 AM
whatwolf
Unimatrix Zero

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
While walking the dog this morning, I had a fleeting thought of putting $400 toward refinishing and putting braze-one on an older frame... but then I'm stuck with average tire clearances.
Old 04-05-13, 10:16 AM
jr59

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
I had one for about 2 years. It did everything ok and nothing great!

For the $$$, @ the LBS discount they are hard to beat!
Attached Images
Old 04-05-13, 10:53 AM
ColonelJLloyd 

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Haha!
Old 04-05-13, 11:32 AM
whatwolf
Unimatrix Zero

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Old 04-05-13, 11:34 AM
Puget Pounder
Wookie Jesus inspires me.

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
+1 on All City, SOMA, or Salsa on this one.

I had a CC and it was porky and uninspiring, so I sold it. However, it is super versatile. If I had one fall into my hands again, I'd probably have some fun with it.

Old 04-05-13, 11:50 AM
RFC

From the C&V side, I guessing this is sort of what you are looking for. But, then, it was made by elves.

I need to Fred this one out some more.

Old 04-05-13, 11:52 AM
RFC

Originally Posted by Puget Pounder
+1 on All City, SOMA, or Salsa on this one.

I had a CC and it was porky and uninspiring, so I sold it. However, it is super versatile. If I had one fall into my hands again, I'd probably have some fun with it.

But I think that's the point. All the bikes in this category are clunky. It's indicative of the type and the nature of the beast. For example, every pure touring bike I have ridden felt far clunkier, which is why I don't have one.

Last edited by RFC; 04-05-13 at 12:09 PM.
Old 04-05-13, 12:00 PM
anixi
Jack of all trades

Bikes: Schwinn Peloton Ventana El Saltamontes Spec Stumpjumper Conversion Gravel

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
You get what you pay for, usually. The cheapest frame on this thread gets the most negative comments, the priciest frame gets the most praise. Isn't that the way the universe works?
Old 04-05-13, 12:12 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7351 Post(s)
Liked 2,478 Times in 1,439 Posts
Cheap? It's not bottom of the line for a bike. As a complete bike it sells for about $1,200, right?

I have a 1990's Bianchi Volpe which weighs less. Handling feels the same, so I'm guessing the geometry is about the same.

Not everyone can hunt for an older lighter frame, I'll concede that. And older frames have one or two important things missing such as clearance for fat tires and fenders or cantilever studs. And if you like a threadless headset, you can't get anything very old unless you change to a modern fork. But you could get lucky with something old. Since the Soma is available without the fork, how about putting on a carbon fiber fork?

Somewhere I have my notes on weight. I weighed my 2010 Cross Check frameset at the same time I weighed my 1974 Raleigh International. The differences were big, especially in the fork.

Are weights listed anywhere? I have a feeling I would have enjoyed the Cross Check more if it were lighter. Handling and comfort were very nice.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 04-05-13, 05:31 PM
Puget Pounder
Wookie Jesus inspires me.

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by RFC
But I think that's the point. All the bikes in this category are clunky. It's indicative of the type and the nature of the beast. For example, every pure touring bike I have ridden felt far clunkier, which is why I don't have one.
You think that's the point, because that was my point! But I don't think all bikes in this category are clunky. The Bianchi Volpe is often compared to the CC and is a better feeling bike IMO. My girlfriend didn't like the CC, but thought that the Volpe was livelier.
Old 04-05-13, 06:06 PM
gomango

If I didn"t happen upon Fender1's nice La Cruz, I would have likely ordered up a Macho Man disc for my oldest son.

I've seen one in person and they are lookers.

But that's not why we picked up the La Cruz.

It's the versatility that counts, plus the fact we can run nice wide tires for gravel, hard pack and grassy overgrown fire roads.

Tires?

Easy to choose for this bike and we just ordered Kenda Slant Sixs, which are a blend of Nevegals and Small Block 8s.

Why didn't I just buy a C&V cross frame?

Got tired of looking and riding season is here.
Old 04-05-13, 06:38 PM
RFC

Originally Posted by Puget Pounder
You think that's the point, because that was my point! But I don't think all bikes in this category are clunky. The Bianchi Volpe is often compared to the CC and is a better feeling bike IMO. My girlfriend didn't like the CC, but thought that the Volpe was livelier.

LOL! You are correct, Sir! You are also correct about the Volpe, or at least the modern ones. I have a 2006 that is on permanent loan to a friend recovering from back injuries and who has turned into a kickass SS rider. The Volpe does feel a little more spry. The angles are a little more roadie and it is a bit lighter. However, the Volpe is no longer made. I was actually referring to the models we have been discussing here, which are very similar to the Cross Check.
Old 04-05-13, 07:05 PM
whatwolf
Unimatrix Zero

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If I didn"t happen upon Fender1's nice La Cruz, I would have likely ordered up a Macho Man disc for my oldest son.
I thought the Macho Man Disc didn't come out till June? But yes, they do look pretty neat. And orange!

Last edited by whatwolf; 04-05-13 at 07:36 PM.
Old 04-05-13, 07:25 PM
mainstreetexile 
rain dog

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
Not everyone can hunt for an older lighter frame, I'll concede that. And older frames have one or two important things missing such as clearance for fat tires and fenders or cantilever studs. And if you like a threadless headset, you can't get anything very old unless you change to a modern fork. But you could get lucky with something old. Since the Soma is available without the fork, how about putting on a carbon fiber fork?

Somewhere I have my notes on weight. I weighed my 2010 Cross Check frameset at the same time I weighed my 1974 Raleigh International. The differences were big, especially in the fork.

Are weights listed anywhere? I have a feeling I would have enjoyed the Cross Check more if it were lighter. Handling and comfort were very nice.
Surly lists weights on their site for 56-58ish frames under the 'frame highlights' tab of the relevant frame pages.

I always hear a lot about how heavy the LHT is. I have a 58cm 87 Schwinn Voyageur frameset in my garage right now and I weighed it out of curiosity. I was surprised to find out that with the headset cups in the frame (and part of a stem that I'm still cutting out stuck in the fork) it weighs more than the claimed weight for a 58cm LHT. 3560g vs 3360g.

Edit: they claim that a 56cm cross check frameset comes in at 3190g
Old 04-05-13, 07:26 PM
fender1

Bikes: I hate bikes!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked 710 Times in 233 Posts
I thought they didn't come out till June? But yes, they do look pretty neat. And orange!
My La Cruz was from 2010. Are they re-issuing it? It was/is a great bike. Little on the small side for me. It could run 37mm tires & fenders. It could be run 650b, with no brake issues. The mechanical road discs convinced me that canti brakes did actually suck as much as I thought they did. Like Cylotoine stated, if I were looking at this type of bike, any frame with canti's would be stricken from the list.
Old 04-05-13, 07:58 PM
gomango

I thought the Macho Man Disc didn't come out till June? But yes, they do look pretty neat. And orange!
Don't forget, I live in the land of QBP, All City and Frostbike.

Not so difficult to see things here...

Again, no longer looking. Brian set us up perfectly.

Very close to new condition. My son is really thrilled to have it and I am glad he's got a new bike to ride with us.

Last edited by gomango; 04-05-13 at 08:03 PM.
Old 04-05-13, 08:00 PM
whatwolf
Unimatrix Zero

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Don't forget, I live in the land of QBP, All City and Frostbike.

Not so difficult to see things here...
Ah, yes, MPLS.

I would love a Macho Man if it had regular eyelets on the dropouts.
Old 04-05-13, 08:07 PM
gomango

Ah, yes, MPLS.

I would love a Macho Man if it had regular eyelets on the dropouts.
I hear you.

I need to figure these out as well.

Are you running fenders on the new build?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.