Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

One App to Rule them all

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

One App to Rule them all

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-16, 08:18 AM
NyoGoat

Bikes: CAAD10 105

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
One App to Rule them all

Is there one app that will record my workout and push it out to all the other services? I'm using strava, my sister wants me to get on Mapmyrun, my brother wants me to get on Nike+. I thought Wahoo Fitness would but it looks like it will only pull from them all.
Old 06-22-16, 08:20 AM
RPK79
Custom User Title

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix Pro & Quintana Roo Kilo

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2863 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 14 Posts
They should just get on Strava. What's wrong with them?
Old 06-22-16, 08:31 AM
aubiecat

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You'll have to do a better job of convincing them to use Strava. It covers both cycling and running in one app and is built for social interaction across both activities. The choice is clear.
Old 06-22-16, 08:49 AM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 245 Times in 181 Posts
https://tapiriik.com
Old 06-22-16, 08:50 AM
K.Katso
Gold Member

Bikes: Pinarello Dogma F8, Pinarello Bolide, Argon 18 E-118, Bianchi Oltre, Cervelo S1, Wilier Pista

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think a lot of people use Garmin Connect as a sort of "bridge" to other services. I do as well. It records the ride and then syncs with Strava, Trainingpeaks, and a few other sites. I think it probably works with maymyride/run. Nike+ I don't know about but you can google it.

Note: this assumes you have a Garmin computer.
Old 06-22-16, 08:51 AM
Corbin

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I agree: Strava. It's almost surprising people use anything else still. However if you want to use all no app can do it TMK but you could buy a cheap garmin or any gps device to do it.
Old 06-22-16, 08:52 AM
cave12man

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Serious question from someone who uses MapMyRide, what are the benefits of Strava over that one?
Old 06-22-16, 09:17 AM
Wheever

Bikes: 2015 Trek Domane 6 disk, 2016 Scott Big Jon Fat Bike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Cyclemeter is my app of choice. Will share data automagically with all the other apps, and will even send gpx data via email. It has a totally customizable data display, with multiple screens and a good gps map.
Old 06-22-16, 09:42 AM
Corbin

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Wheever
Cyclemeter is my app of choice. Will share data automagically with all the other apps, and will even send gpx data via email. It has a totally customizable data display, with multiple screens and a good gps map.
That's awesome. Too bad its Ios only. It's stupid to need a stand alone GPS device which cost up to $600+ to get a crappy lcd screen with basic UI. My $600 garmin looks like an advanced calculator when turned on, it's pathetic really. Nonetheless it does the job. My phone is 5.7" a little large for the stem but maybe not.

With APPs like this (if it were on android) would be great though. I would buy a old small cheap device and take that and you could switch your sim card and leave your main phone at home. wambam
Old 06-22-16, 09:57 AM
rms13

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by cave12man
Serious question from someone who uses MapMyRide, what are the benefits of Strava over that one?
The user base. I think Strava has just been more widely adopted so many more users. This is nice to be able to follow people who ride the same areas to get ideas for new routes and of course compete for KOM and leaderboards.

Also Strava doesn't just record cycling, running and swimming but they actually have about 30 distinct activities you can record.
Old 06-22-16, 10:09 AM
aubiecat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Corbin
That's awesome. Too bad its Ios only. It's stupid to need a stand alone GPS device which cost up to $600+ to get a crappy lcd screen with basic UI. My $600 garmin looks like an advanced calculator when turned on, it's pathetic really. Nonetheless it does the job. My phone is a little large for the stem but maybe not.

With APPs like this (if it were on android) would be great though. I would buy a old small cheap device and take that and you could switch your sim card and leave your main phone at home. wambam
IP Bike app. Support site. I use it on my Note 4. This app puts out an incredible amount of data. It works with pretty much any ANT+ device on the market right now. You have to have a phone with ANT+ capability for that to work of course.
It uploads data to AttackPoint, RunKeeper, TrainingPeaks, SportTracks.mobi, Strava, Trainingstagebuch, RunningAHEAD, CyclingAnalytics, VeloHero, Google Fit and What's Today's Plan.
It's free for the first million wheel revolutions.
Old 06-22-16, 10:16 AM
aubiecat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rms13
The user base. I think Strava has just been more widely adopted so many more users. This is nice to be able to follow people who ride the same areas to get ideas for new routes and of course compete for KOM and leaderboards.

Also Strava doesn't just record cycling, running and swimming but they actually have about 30 distinct activities you can record.
One extra benefit; if you use Zwift you can upload training rides straight from the Zwift interface.
Old 06-22-16, 10:24 AM
RJM
I'm doing it wrong.

Bikes: Rivendell Appaloosa, Rivendell Frank Jones Sr., Trek Fuel EX9, Kona Jake the Snake CR, Niner Sir9

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 9742 Post(s)
Liked 2,812 Times in 1,664 Posts
Well, Garmin connect shoots it to Strava and Trainingpeaks for me, along with that health app on Apple, actually uploads info to my health insurance package, and probably does myfitnesspal to, but I don't use that. Honestly, for training purposes, Trainingpeaks seems to be ideal for me and I'm glad I found it. I just recently signed up for it and am impressed.

Strava is good for kudos, checking out what your friends are doing, and learning new local routes. I honestly dislike the whole segment aspect of it and at least locally I feel it has destroyed group riding. Everybody is just hammering to get PRs and KOMs and any kind of group cohesion and group ride etiquette is thrown out the window....but that is a digression best suited for another thread.
Old 06-22-16, 12:14 PM
cave12man

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rms13

Originally Posted by aubiecat
One extra benefit; if you use Zwift you can upload training rides straight from the Zwift interface.
Cool, thanks guys. Think I'll switch over and see what it's all about.
Old 06-22-16, 12:32 PM
Corbin

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Is there any site that will give me heart rate / power zone (when I get on) analysis like strava premium does but for free?

Originally Posted by aubiecat
IP Bike app. Support site. I use it on my Note 4. This app puts out an incredible amount of data. It works with pretty much any ANT+ device on the market right now. You have to have a phone with ANT+ capability for that to work of course.
It uploads data to AttackPoint, RunKeeper, TrainingPeaks, SportTracks.mobi, Strava, Trainingstagebuch, RunningAHEAD, CyclingAnalytics, VeloHero, Google Fit and What's Today's Plan.
It's free for the first million wheel revolutions.
Thanks I will check it out. Don't really need it now but I like the idea.
Old 06-22-16, 12:40 PM
mpath
Recusant Iconoclast

Bikes: Look 695, Wilier Izoard

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by Corbin
I agree: Strava. It's almost surprising people use anything else still. However if you want to use all no app can do it TMK but you could buy a cheap garmin or any gps device to do it.
Well, for one, Garmin predates Strava, at least for my running, so I never bothered switching over.
Old 06-22-16, 12:57 PM
Corbin

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by mpath
Well, for one, Garmin predates Strava, at least for my running, so I never bothered switching over.
Yeah I feel ya. I came into the game late so everyone was talking about Strava. I like strava a lot but they lack a lot of basic things, they seem like they have no money to move forward.

I started on Strava for personal records but one aspect that is nice is the segments. It allows me gauge myself amongst the community. I know garminconnect has segments but only a few in my area. It's like a ghost town on GC.

Here are some pros to strava.
Heatmaps: May not be useful to you if you know your area but it will overlay a map with colored lines to show how popular a road is.

Flybys: This will show me riders and runners I either pass by on my ride or passed within (I think) 50 meters.
This could be a good way to catch up after as you can comment on their ride.

Challenges: Not needed for those motivated but these can be a nice way to help motivate you off your butt. Things such as ride x amount this month for a badge =] Climb x amount ect.
Old 06-22-16, 06:50 PM
ahanulec

Bikes: Felt F85, Proflex 757, Proflex 252

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Microsoft Health

I have a Microsoft Band which sync through to both MapmyRide and Strava.

The band is pretty great and easy to use. It has heart rate, a built in GPS and pedometer. I use it to track my rides, runs and gym workouts. I keep mine on all day and night so it tracks my sleep as well.

I purchased one for my wife also when she started asking questions about mine. She really likes it too.

For the price, I don't think anything else matches its functionality.
Old 06-22-16, 06:54 PM
SpeshulEd 

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnJ80
This has the most options, but you also have to donate as far as I know.

I'd make a list of what ones you want to connect and start looking at your options.

Garmin Connect will export automatically to quite a few, along with the Wahoo Fitness app.

Certain APIs can't talk with other APIs, but I believe tapiriik gets around this so you don't have to manually upload.