Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Cannondale not in the news

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-17, 06:38 PM
NyoGoat

Bikes: CAAD10 105

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

I subscribe to "Bicycling" magazine. The latest issue gave recommendations for different bikes. I realized that i've never seen a recommendation for a Cannondale in that magazine. My current uninformed and ignorant perspective now shows me that Cannondale doesn't show up with the other major brands. Why is that?
Old 03-27-17, 06:45 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18379 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
One certainly reads about it here.

Perhaps they were late in adopting Carbon Fiber, and their main product is still aluminum. So, when one thinks of CF bikes, they don't pop to mind. They are, however, at the top of the list for aluminum frames.

The Cannondale Slate Lefty was a hot topic in the news a year ago. I really haven't heard much about it since the release though.
Old 03-27-17, 06:52 PM
Bmach

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 162 Posts
Evo seems good to me. Maybe they don't donate enough?
Old 03-27-17, 09:20 PM
DGlenday

Bikes: Cannondale, Trek

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by NyoGoat
I subscribe to "Bicycling" magazine. The latest issue gave recommendations for different bikes. I realized that i've never seen a recommendation for a Cannondale in that magazine. My current uninformed and ignorant perspective now shows me that Cannondale doesn't show up with the other major brands. Why is that?
Read other, more serious road biking mags ... e.g. Road Bike Action. PLENTY of Cannondale recommendations there.

Originally Posted by CliffordK
One certainly reads about it here.

Perhaps they were late in adopting Carbon Fiber, and their main product is still aluminum.
Huh?!?

Their carbon fiber frames are often recognized as being among the best out there.
Old 03-27-17, 09:31 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18379 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
Originally Posted by DGlenday
Huh?!?

Their carbon fiber frames are often recognized as being among the best out there.
Maybe they are good,

However, I just don't see/read about them as much as a Tarmac, Venge, Roubaix, Madone, etc. Perhaps I just see used bikes, and the Treks and Specialized bikes are dumped onto the used market
Old 03-27-17, 09:36 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,020 Times in 572 Posts
Wonder if the amount of coverage has anything to do with the amount of ad space purchased?
Old 03-27-17, 11:49 PM
dorkypants

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by jon c.
Wonder if the amount of coverage has anything to do with the amount of ad space purchased?
BINGO!

Most of their articles strike me as product promos for their biggest advertisers.
Old 03-28-17, 03:34 AM
kbarch

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
There are a lot of other brands you won't read about in Bicycling magazine. I always got the impression their mission was more about promotion than reportage, so I rather expect them to have favorites, and it wouldn't surprise me if they neglected brands that neglect them.
Old 03-28-17, 03:53 AM
Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist

Bikes: Emonda SL6

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5721 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 99 Posts
I think the number of SuperSix and CAAD frames that show up for local races across the country matters more than whether Bicycling includes them in a "10 Best Buys 2017" list.
Old 03-28-17, 05:02 AM
zymphad

Bikes: Super Cheap gc3 approved Bike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 572 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 30 Posts
What? The CAAD12 was named bike of the year last year! And the EVO was contender for superbike of the year.
Old 03-28-17, 05:22 AM
Fiery

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 13 Posts
They've been in a bit of a rut for the last few years, probably because they are still ignoring the aero road bike trend. The SuperSix Evo Nano was a big deal when it came out, but they haven't had any major breakthroughs since then. They do consistently make good and highly regarded bikes, but there are no bells and whistles there to really set them apart with the casual crowd.
Old 03-28-17, 06:34 AM
SCRcat6

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Fiery
The SuperSix Evo Nano was a big deal when it came out, but they haven't had any major breakthroughs since then.
The last major breakthrough for the bicycle that I know of is the derailleur.
Old 03-28-17, 07:02 AM
cycledogg

Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts
I wouldn't go as far as to say "never". You obviously have not been reading Bicycling magazine long. Cannondale has been mentioned in that rag for years. Cannondale is a top brand with many innovation credits to the bicycling sport. For what ever reason, Cannondale has not been much of a main stay in the pro peloton. Seaco put them on top during it's reign, then Liquigas kept them on the podium. Once Drapac starts winning (if they can), I'm sure you will start hearing more of Cannondale from the road side of things. Cross and MTB seem to keep Cannondale in the news with their results. C'dale CF frames are one of the best, and we all know you can't beat their AL frame. With all that said, I think it's Cannondale's PR and marketing is what has faulterd and keeping them out of the news so much. JMHO
Old 03-28-17, 07:09 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 679 Times in 430 Posts
It's all cyclical. I think when the Evo came out Bicycling named it the best bike of the year.

It also probably depends on which company is spending the most in ad dollars.
Old 03-28-17, 10:04 AM
NJAgent020

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As someone who subscribes to Bicycling and Road Bike Action and someone who passed on Specialized and Trek in favor of the Cannondale- I will say that Road.cc and Bike Radar have had Cannondales in their short list for bike of the year and the Synapse and CAAD have won recently.

For me I rode the Roubaix, the Domane and Cannondale- and the Cannondale was the best- of course its subjective but it was the right price, with the disc brakes I wanted and the ultegra drive and simply looked the best.

I actually had a lot of fun seeking out the bikeshops that sold different bikes- Giant, Bianchi, Cannondale, Specialized, Trek etc. I learned a lot. Editors have their favorites and they have their sponsors.
Old 03-28-17, 10:21 AM
zymphad

Cannondale definitely go their own way. They stick to the traditional bike geometry while everyone else has gone with compact sloped TT geometry, like EVERYONE except them. They continue to use the craptastic BB30/PF30 while thankfully there is a trend to go back to the tried and true that doesn't creak. They stick to tube shaping rather than gimmicks like Specialized's shock in the HT, or Trek's flex etc. And as someone else said, they aren't compromising their design philosophy for slightly 1 watt savings in aero.

Overall, their bikes are not attention catching at all. Very boring looking bikes, traditional. And they seem more famous for their CAAD12, ALU and MTB bikes too. So for road cyclists, I'm not surprised if Cannondale isn't at the top of their list, their marketing isn't nearly as good. Their pro team sucks, so marketing there is fail.

Also I think Cannondale has a problem with pricing. Frankly their bikes are overpriced. Giant TCR Advanced with 105 is $1600 @ MSRP, probably can negotiate that down. I haven't seen a CAAD12 in my area with 105 for less than that, and I don't care what supernatural magic the CAAD12 may have, the TCR Advanced frame is just better, better value for what you get, stiffer, more compliant, easier geometry to fit, more comfortable position. CAAD12 you're stretched out, it's an old style race geometry. I like the CAAD12 personally, but I can definitely see why a lot of people are not in favor of that straight TT. Their EVO are way way expensive. The Synapse carbon, also expensive unless it comes with Sora.

Last edited by zymphad; 03-28-17 at 10:30 AM.
Old 03-28-17, 10:30 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 728 Times in 373 Posts
Purchase by Dorel, then known for supplying bikes to mass merchants, didnt' help C'dale's street cred.

Also, while the EVO is a very nice bike, its no longer the latest greatest new thing. BICYCLING tends to focus on whatever's new.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 03-28-17, 10:33 AM
zymphad

Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
Purchase by Dorel, then known for supplying bikes to mass merchants, didnt' help C'dale's street cred.

Also, while the EVO is a very nice bike, its no longer the latest greatest new thing. BICYCLING tends to focus on whatever's new.
Especially when other companies have been able to add the new trends to their race bikes. As mentioned the TCR Advanced is also very aerodynamic, so is Cervelo R5, or Canyon Ultimate. And all of them have a more relaxed, comfortable geometry with the sloping TT, compact design. Cannondale, if they want to be special, going their own way, then I would not be surprised if they close shop in a few years. I really think their MTB market is what is keeping them afloat.

Have you tried fitting on a Cannondale? It's weird. I ride a 52-54 in most models, I tried a CAAD12, a 48 was almost uncomfortable standing over, but the the reach was way short, so I would probably need a 120-140 stem. I was not impressed by the fit, their traditional geometry was unimpressive.

Last edited by zymphad; 03-28-17 at 10:36 AM.
Old 03-28-17, 11:03 AM
nycphotography
NYC

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1169 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 62 Posts
Calling a magazine "the news" is generous at best.
Old 03-28-17, 12:02 PM
shafter

Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nycphotography
Calling a magazine "the news" is generous at best.
As long as it's not FAKE NEWS... though I don't think there's such thing in a cycling context.
Old 03-28-17, 12:39 PM
Doug5150

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by dorkypants
BINGO!
Most of their articles strike me as product promos for their biggest advertisers.
It's always been that way, most people just didn't know it before the internet....

Print media has to pay the bills, and that means helping their advertisers sell stuff.
Their problem now is that shoppers can see other owners' opinions online, and they tend to consider current owners' complaints to be a larger factor in their purchasing decision than the good things that media reviews say (about a product they didn't have to buy, and only got loaned).

I don't blame magazines for acting as such, and I don't have any alternate suggestions.
The rise of the web (and web forums) has greatly changed how print media operates, and it aint done yet.

Also I would say--you haven't seen MAJOR sucking up until you've looked through some British magazines.
For some magazines there, it can be generally presumed that all product reviews will be 100% positive.
And! With a lot! of exclamation points! !! .....!
You just read them to learn about the major features, and then you have to ask actual people IRL or online what's bad about it, and if the thing is really worth the prices charged.
Old 03-28-17, 12:49 PM
bonz50

Bikes: 2013 Synapse 4

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Doug5150
Also I would say--you haven't seen MAJOR sucking up until you've looked through some British magazines.
For some magazines there, it can be generally presumed that all product reviews will be 100% positive.
And! With a lot! of exclamation points! !! .....!
You just read them to learn about the major features, and then you have to ask actual people IRL or online what's bad about it, and if the thing is really worth the prices charged.
the Brit motorcycle rags are freaking great!!! very entertaining, makes the american motorcycle rags look boring. but everything always taken with a grain of salt, just fun reading. granted, I don't read any of them anymore.
Old 03-28-17, 02:59 PM
anon`

Bikes: 2011 Cannondale CAAD10-4

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One more in the advert contribution camp...

I've noticed that ProCycling seems to compare all bikes they review (which are not, by any stretch, always glowingly positive) to a Cannondale, almost like a control bike. And they love that (those?) Cannondale(s).

Looking over the past few issues of Bicycling, one could be forgiven for thinking that road cycling is dead, and everyone now just fat/gravel/mountain bikes...
Old 03-29-17, 08:56 AM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 94 Posts
Bicycling has become Runners World for people who happen to ride bikes. Just a relatively thick advertising brochure. Politics. Fashion. Positive reinforcement for trying. Never will be heard a discouraging word about an advertiser's product. (At least they quashed the monthly injury articles within a few months after the takeover.)

Last edited by FlashBazbo; 03-29-17 at 09:00 AM.
Old 03-29-17, 09:12 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
I subscribe to "Bicycling" magazine.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.