Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Tiny Dent in Steel Frame - No Big Deal, Right?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-21, 12:51 PM
vincentjay93

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Greetings from Philly...

This is a bit of a venting session but also question about the integrity of steel frames. I was riding to work this morning and passed a garbage truck. A beer bottle flew out of a garbage bag that was being tossed into the truck, hit me and my bike and shattered all over the place. I was pissed. I stopped for a minute and assessed the damage. Noticed some paint chips but whatever. I was fine and luckily had a clean rag to wipe the trash juice off my frame and fender. Later noticed the dent on my seat tube. It's annoying because the bike is new but I guess it's a funny story to tell and now my bike has a proper battle scar. But I want to make sure this is strictly cosmetic. I've found some conflicting info online about the dangers of dents so I just wanted the input of others. From what I understand, because it's Reynolds 725 steel I should be good for many more years. Wish I could include a pic but this is my first post. It really is just a small ding. What do think?

Last edited by vincentjay93; 11-12-21 at 08:29 AM.
Old 11-09-21, 12:54 PM
mprince
Dont fix whats not broken

Bikes: Steelman Stage Race, Dura-Ace 9s

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 166 Times in 93 Posts
Small ding, cosmetic only so as long as the appearance doesn't bother you don't sweat it. A picture would help as someone's "small ding" may be someone else's "collapsed tube" or something like that .
Old 11-09-21, 01:03 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Bikes: '83 univega gran turismo x2, '85 schwinn super le tour,'89 miyata triple cross, '91 GT tequesta, '90 yokota grizzly peak, '94 GT backwoods, '95'ish scott tampico, '98 bonty privateer, '93 mongoose crossway 625, '98 parkpre ariel, 2k'ish giant fcr3

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked 745 Times in 546 Posts
see all those dents and crimps in your chain stays? a lot of stress focused in that area. i don't know what you've read, but a dent is nothing to worry about
Old 11-09-21, 01:47 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,811 Times in 3,319 Posts
Hard to imagine that a beer bottle dented the seat tube. But hitting it just right, I suppose it is. And even if it did and it did the worst it could do, it's something that you'll see when bad things are about to be happening if you just look at it every now and then. It's not going to suddenly explode or break in a dramatic and sudden fashion. Unless of course you never again look at it to see if anything is happening.
Old 11-09-21, 02:25 PM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
It's steel, forget about it and ride.
Old 11-09-21, 05:28 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
Originally Posted by mprince
A picture would help as someone's "small ding" may be someone else's "collapsed tube" or something like that .
That was my initial thought, too. Pencil eraser size? War story. Big as a half dollar? Ummm...
Old 11-10-21, 11:10 AM
Charliekeet

Bikes: S-Works Stumpjumper HT Disc, Fuji Absolute, Kona Jake the Snake, '85 Cannondale SR900

Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by vincentjay93
Greetings from Philly...
{snip}
... I was riding to work this morning and passed a garbage truck. A beer bottle flew out of a garbage bag that was being tossed into the truck, hit me and my bike and shattered all over the place. I was pissed. I stopped for a minute and assessed the damage. Noticed some paint chips but whatever. I was fine and luckily had a clean rag to wipe the trash juice off my frame and fender. Later noticed the dent on my seat tube. ...
I think that's the most "Philadelphia" thing I've ever heard!
Likes For Charliekeet:
Old 11-10-21, 11:53 AM
vincentjay93

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Charliekeet
I think that's the most "Philadelphia" thing I've ever heard!

I guess I am a true Philadelphian nowadays. It is a pencil eraser sized ding. I will do my best to forget about it. Thanks for easing my concerns. I am just having trouble accepting the fact that commuting by bike in Philly is a contact sport.

Last edited by vincentjay93; 11-12-21 at 08:30 AM.
Old 11-10-21, 03:26 PM
mprince
Dont fix whats not broken

Bikes: Steelman Stage Race, Dura-Ace 9s

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 166 Times in 93 Posts
Be thankful the contact was only with a bottle...
Old 11-12-21, 07:36 PM
sdimattia

Bikes: Wabi Classic, Bombtrack Hook, Bombtrack Tension, Vitus Substance

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 56 Posts
My rear brake caliper put a decent size dent in my 725 Reynolds frame after the force of getting hit by a car pushed it into the frame (and completely twisted the brake arm). Dent is about 2mm deep however, the powdercoat filled it in some (the bike was repainted a few months later after the crash). Been riding that bike for several thousand miles with that dent (including another crash, this one on the front end) with no issues. That's the nice thing about steel. It can be considerably more durable than frame other materials.

Old 11-13-21, 02:12 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 641 Times in 398 Posts
I have a Paramount with a small ding on the top tube. About the same size as the red frame in the pic above. I've put over 20,000 miles on it with no issues.