Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Just so everyone knows

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Just so everyone knows

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-23, 07:00 PM
retswerb
Along for the ride

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 212 Times in 107 Posts
Originally Posted by staehpj1
I doubt that that applies to "the vast majority of cyclist", but regardless, if it does, why would they come to these forums? Heck, why would they need need any forums at all?
Originally Posted by genejockey
I'm reasonably certain the guys I see riding either Walmart-level "Mountain Bikes" or Bike Boom era drop bar bikes (with the bars turned skyward) on their way to and from work daily don't frequent this forum.
Originally Posted by Jeff Neese
It doesn't even have to be that low on the food chain. When we ride the MUP, we see dozens and sometimes hundreds of cyclists, all out for a nice ride on the trail, and a lot of them on pretty decent bikes. If I started asking them, I'm guessing most people have never heard of Bike Forums.
Setting aside the obvious agenda / trolling that started this thread, I'd nonetheless push back against these assumptions. I'm fairly new to participating here but have known of BF's existence for a long time as posts here tend to show up quite high in Google search results - especially for repair questions. BF's good search ranking has been the case for quite some time and as a result it would be incorrect to assume that folks who are less "involved" don't show up here with great regularity. Keeping this place "beginner friendly" and not biting the newbies is important for bringing others into the fold.
Likes For retswerb:
Old 03-10-23, 07:08 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Yeah .... I spent a few days with some really honest, honorable, kind, and spiritual people ... I should have put on protective gear before diving back into BF.

Deep breaths .....
I always wear Nomex underwear before entering.
Old 03-10-23, 07:15 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 3683 Post(s)
Liked 5,448 Times in 2,769 Posts
Cognitive decline isn't any more amusing than deliberate trolling. FWIW, last I looked there were many more sub forums devoted to casual biking than to go-fast.
Old 03-10-23, 07:28 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2244 Post(s)
Liked 3,448 Times in 1,807 Posts
Originally Posted by Lombard
I always wear Nomex underwear before entering.
Just so you know, not every Enduro Bro wearing Depends on a mountain bike says "Send It!" before making use of said containment.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 03-10-23, 07:37 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Quoted: 10444 Post(s)
Liked 11,924 Times in 6,105 Posts
Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
I had a grad student once who prefaced anything biyatchy they were about to say with "just so you know."

Hence, this triggers me.

I need a safe space, full of b-crats and liberals and people who can't spell derailleur.
Don't be silly! Who can't spell deurailler...derailieur... derilaeur... mech?

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 03-10-23, 07:41 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

I don't believe in Santa Claus, but I believe in Rydabent. I think I saw him on a 'Bent forum somewhere once.
Yes, Maelochs, there IS a Rydabent. He exists as surely as Merckx, and Anquetil, and Hinault exist.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 03-10-23, 07:44 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by Eric F
You're the one making the claim. Bring receipts.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 03-10-23, 07:46 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
The problem here is a handful of certain individuals { wannabe pros } who are trying to turn General Forum into another road racing forum and brand any poster who doesn't participate and talk about racing and places speed as a top priority a troll.
Horse crap.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 03-10-23, 07:52 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by wolfchild
Do your own search. I am not doing your homework for you or anybody else.
cough, cough, liar, cough
Old 03-10-23, 07:56 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Okay .... all of you who made unsupported and unsupportable claims .... there are no words i could use to describe you which would not get me banned.

I DID THE SEARCH. The results are right there---Which hand soap will make me faster? Will I be faster with wet feet? Florida Rust makes me faster.

You are a <long string of edited epithets.>

All of you, who champion the lies and refuse to admit what we all see.

I don't have the energy to care more. Be whatever you need to be. But this forum could be just as much fun and a lot more informative if people didn't post pure lies to get attention.

You are honorless. You are why civilization is dying. Be proud of that, I guess.
This post needs its own theme song.
Old 03-10-23, 09:17 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Cognitive decline isn't any more amusing than deliberate trolling.
Deliberate trolling can be funny. Cognitive decline is never funny.
Old 03-11-23, 05:57 AM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
A vast number of threads on this forum would make everyone think that speed is the holy grail of cycling. I contend it is not. I say that the vast majority of cyclist just ride for the enjoyment of the ride. We just like to be out in the open air, enjoy the sites, and or run errands. We dont ride high priced bikes, or dress in high priced kits. We dont care about form, position, cadence or any of that, we just enjoy the kind of riding we like.
Blasphamy.
even the tea toting european dutch bike dress clothes dude does at times try to push it....just a little.
but to the meat of your comment I tend to agree.
all the media hype is on the uber higher end side.
$12k bikes....$200 bibs or shoes or helnets.
i hear ya...but i like trying to be faster more efficient when i ride...but not always.
Likes For thehammerdog:
Old 03-11-23, 07:02 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

What I find hilarious about this thread is that it's the two people that I would identify as being the most prolific denigraters of other people's riding habits-- wolfchild and rydabent -- are complaining about other people denigrating other people's riding habits.

Let's get real here, I could if I wanted to post a bunch of jerky quotes from people of all segments of types of riders in GC, including some from racers claiming that they are the only ones qualified to discuss certain non-racing topics., and from non-racers accusing other people of being suckers for buying into marketing hype or wannabes or whatever. My point would be that a) such obnoxious postings seem to be approximately evenly distributed among the various segments and b) the products of relatively few regulars who are generally disliked by pretty much all.

I'm not a racer, but I enjoy discussing stuff with racers because I find it interesting to exchange our perspectives on various issues. I'm not trying to convince them of anything regarding their own riding, and if I am trying to convince them of anything at all it is that non-racers may have an entirely different perspective that is just as thoughtful as their own, it's just about a different kind of riding or how I handle riding fast not having a racer physique . At its best, an exchange like this can be a lot of fun. I know I learn a lot from them and we seem to be enjoying most of the exchanges.

I used to run into a few racer types.who would habitually call me a liar when I would describe my riding habits. What would invariably happen was that a better qualified racer would then jump in to say that what I claimed to be doing checked out. and that the other guy should stop calling me a liar just because I could do something they couldn't. We're all capable of telling when someone who rides like we do is being nasty for no reason, I really respect the process of calling that person out.

Long way to get around to the main point--most of the people on this forum try to be helpful and friendly, and are open to other people's perspectives. I think it's useful to a newbie to understand that frequently there is more than one way to skin a grape. Where BF gets ridiculous is when people try to argue that it's their way or you'll suck on the highway.
​​​​​​
​​​​

Last edited by livedarklions; 03-11-23 at 07:05 AM.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 03-11-23, 07:14 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Lombard
Deliberate trolling can be funny. Cognitive decline is never funny.
No, but I have seen people suffering from it use humor effectively as a coping mechanism.
Old 03-11-23, 07:20 AM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 827 Post(s)
Liked 1,660 Times in 784 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
"Just so everyone knows," I'm adding rydabent to my ignore list.
It took you this long?
Old 03-11-23, 07:25 AM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 2,308 Times in 1,118 Posts
I'm really hoping that the extra hour of sunshine starting next week, and the official start of Spring in less than two weeks, gets some butts on bike seats and away from these pissing matches.

Likes For Chuck M:
Old 03-11-23, 08:07 AM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Originally Posted by livedarklions
What I find hilarious about this thread is that it's the two people that I would identify as being the most prolific denigraters of other people's riding habits-- wolfchild and rydabent -- are complaining about other people denigrating other people's riding habits.

Let's get real here, I could if I wanted to post a bunch of jerky quotes from people of all segments of types of riders in GC, including some from racers claiming that they are the only ones qualified to discuss certain non-racing topics., and from non-racers accusing other people of being suckers for buying into marketing hype or wannabes or whatever. My point would be that a) such obnoxious postings seem to be approximately evenly distributed among the various segments and b) the products of relatively few regulars who are generally disliked by pretty much all.

I'm not a racer, but I enjoy discussing stuff with racers because I find it interesting to exchange our perspectives on various issues. I'm not trying to convince them of anything regarding their own riding, and if I am trying to convince them of anything at all it is that non-racers may have an entirely different perspective that is just as thoughtful as their own, it's just about a different kind of riding or how I handle riding fast not having a racer physique . At its best, an exchange like this can be a lot of fun. I know I learn a lot from them and we seem to be enjoying most of the exchanges.

I used to run into a few racer types.who would habitually call me a liar when I would describe my riding habits. What would invariably happen was that a better qualified racer would then jump in to say that what I claimed to be doing checked out. and that the other guy should stop calling me a liar just because I could do something they couldn't. We're all capable of telling when someone who rides like we do is being nasty for no reason, I really respect the process of calling that person out.

Long way to get around to the main point--most of the people on this forum try to be helpful and friendly, and are open to other people's perspectives. I think it's useful to a newbie to understand that frequently there is more than one way to skin a grape. Where BF gets ridiculous is when people try to argue that it's their way or you'll suck on the highway.
​​​​​​
​​​​
Very well put.
Old 03-11-23, 09:02 AM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
Well it's true sometimes I would like to make better time when I ride to downtown Toronto or to North York Centre to meet my friends, but that's not my holy grail for speed. It's more of an indication we need better cycling infrastructure to take us to where we want to go via direct routes instead of meandering around side streets and park trails. A lot of the times I don't care about my speed or cadence except to cross the next light as it turns red to stop traffic from catching up to me.

And then there's the snow riding in uncleared streets and bike lanes for the challenge and the political agenda to bash the new snow removal contractor.

So add me in as one of the (apparently overstated) vast majority who rides for the pleasure.
Likes For Daniel4:
Old 03-11-23, 09:06 AM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1089 Post(s)
Liked 871 Times in 491 Posts
A vast number of threads on this forum would make everyone think that speed is the holy grail of cycling. I contend it is not. I say that the vast majority of cyclist just ride for the enjoyment of the ride. We just like to be out in the open air, enjoy the sites, and or run errands. We dont ride high priced bikes, or dress in high priced kits. We dont care about form, position, cadence or any of that, we just enjoy the kind of riding we like.
We all know the holy grail of cycling is riding a bike shaped like a peacock while wearing a tutu and nothing else. Everything else is just following corporate trends.
Likes For rosefarts:
Old 03-11-23, 09:35 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1341 Post(s)
Liked 2,483 Times in 1,458 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
Who are "we"?
He has a pet mouse in his pocket.
Old 03-11-23, 09:37 AM
beng1
Banned

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 348 Times in 195 Posts
Great thread. I agree 100% that most on this forum worship speed, high-end equipment and light weight as a yardstick for measuring all of cycling equipment and riders too.

I have always loved going fast on bikes since I was five years old, I think it is natural to want to go faster than walking if you are on a bicycle or a horse etc.. But most have lost their perspective on cycling and most other things. I believe it is the society based on predatory capitalism and it's consumerism, which always defines success as more, more more, and as excess. If a little speed is good more must be better, the more something costs must mean it is better, and the lighter a bike is, because it is a function of it's higher price and helps going up hills faster, it must be better too.

I only bought one new bike ever, early in 1997, my MTB, and I love it, but it will be my last new bike absolutely. I love my four road bikes too, three of them are from the 1970s and one is from 1985, and the initial purchase price of all four is $63.

Lately I have been a zone-2 rider, where you can still speak a sentence while riding, but it is a chore and you need a breath or two between your words or sentences. I would not be against entering a race in my area, but I am interested to see how fast I can go without leaving the zone 2 exertion level, which seems to be the best balance between physical fitness and exercise and speed.
Just as I am interested in zone-2 speed, I am also interested in how fast my old bikes can go, not in how fast I can go on carbon-fiber, multi-thousand dollar junk that they peddle to the public now. I like the bikes I grew up with since the 1960s, they are great bikes and all I will ever need.
99.999% of riders are not interested in racing and are not pros making money with their riding, so the common-sense thing for them to get out of their rides is fun and relaxation along with a bit of exercise.
Likes For beng1:
Old 03-11-23, 09:48 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7653 Post(s)
Liked 3,485 Times in 1,840 Posts
Originally Posted by beng1
Great thread. I agree 100% that most on this forum worship speed, high-end equipment and light weight as a yardstick for measuring all of cycling equipment and riders too.
You are totally lying. I listed the top several dozen topics ... and the quest for speed didn't appear.

You have joined the list of those who no longer matter.

Have a great whatever.
Old 03-11-23, 10:03 AM
LaffyCaffi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Agreed
Old 03-11-23, 10:30 AM
jfouellette

Bikes: 1999 Bike friday NWT, 2009 Bike Friday Tikit, 2023 silverock Dewy, 2008 Dahon Smooth Hound, 2023 Litepro Trifold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 140 Posts
I’m an urban cyclist living in a large city. Speed is therefore relative in such an environment. You just get to the next red light before everyone else, and wait. Stop and go just like in a car. The speed cyclists are good for the bicycle business. They are the ones buying the products that could marginally increase their performance. They are the early adopters who pay the big dollars. They just need the open spaces to take advantage of their equipment which doesn’t exist much in urban areas. How about getting bicycle ovals built in urban centers? The Montreal Grand Prix race track is reserved for cyclists when not in use for the event. Perhaps the need for speed crowd should be having discussions in the proper forum rather than the general cycling one. Then again, you can jump over posts that are not relevant to your riding style.

Last edited by jfouellette; 03-11-23 at 10:36 AM.
Old 03-11-23, 10:32 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3432 Post(s)
Liked 3,567 Times in 1,793 Posts
Originally Posted by beng1

I have always loved going fast on bikes since I was five years old, I think it is natural to want to go faster than walking if you are on a bicycle or a horse etc.. But most have lost their perspective on cycling and most other things. I believe it is the society based on predatory capitalism and it's consumerism, which always defines success as more, more more, and as excess. If a little speed is good more must be better, the more something costs must mean it is better, and the lighter a bike is, because it is a function of it's higher price and helps going up hills faster, it must be better too.

I only bought one new bike ever, early in 1997, my MTB, and I love it, but it will be my last new bike absolutely. I love my four road bikes too, three of them are from the 1970s and one is from 1985, and the initial purchase price of all four is $63.

Since beng1 admits to having no experience with any road bike tech made after 1985, may I submit that he lacks sufficient perspective to denigrate such tech, and that his uninformed moralizing at us who do have experience is all "stuff and nonsense"?

He thinks we "worship speed" and have "lost [our] perspective", all due to "predatory capitalism" and "consumerism", while he rides Goodwill Store reject bikes while hinting at his moral superiority.

Last edited by terrymorse; 03-12-23 at 10:10 AM.
Likes For terrymorse:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.