Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Boston Burb Rain is Passing ... YES!

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-09, 10:16 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,584 Times in 2,344 Posts

So glad! I dodged it this morning and now I won't have to wear rain gear going home either! Psych!
Old 06-09-09, 11:14 AM
JBett

Bikes: Jamis: Durango

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You guys up north have all the good luck...Pouring here.Thinking about geting the kids water wings blown up for the ride in to work.
Old 06-09-09, 11:45 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Yeah, but you guys down South are closer to the Cape. Love the trails out there. Good luck with your ride home - that rain on the radar today was pretty ugly.
Old 06-09-09, 11:46 AM
DX Rider

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's raining here, in Mansfield, but it's hardily the heaviest rain I've ridden in. It could be worse and be cold rain.
Old 06-09-09, 02:48 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
So glad! I dodged it this morning and now I won't have to wear rain gear going home either! Psych!
The Doppler looked threatening, and sky was cloudy at 6 AM in Kenmore Square, so I took the beater bike and brought my rain gear to Norwood, but got no rain. In any case I have the rain bike to take home to keep the road bike clean if it still rains later.

Just this year inspired by BF I have accepted riding in the rain. I used to consider it a game: if I rode and it rained, or I didn't ride and it didn't rain, I lost; if I rode with no rain or didn't ride and it rained, I won. Now I win or lose depending if I ride with the appropriate bike: beater in the rain, road bike when dry.
Old 06-09-09, 08:29 PM
rumrunn6

+1 for having a plan!
Old 06-09-09, 08:56 PM
slugman
Lurker

Bikes: IRO fixed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Slacked off today, wife blew her car's waterpump (stupid VW and plastic impellers) up the other week, fixed it and she didn't tell me till yesterday that the coolant light was flashing at her so worked on that and drove in case it blew up again.

That... plus I just changed my chain and swapped my front tire back and put a new one in front Sunday night. Nice shiny chains need a few days of no rust right? right?
Old 06-10-09, 03:21 AM
Jim from Boston

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
Just this year inspired by BF I have accepted riding in the rain. I used to consider it a game: if I rode and it rained, or I didn't ride and it didn't rain, I lost; if I rode with no rain or didn't ride and it rained, I won. Now I win or lose depending if I ride with the appropriate bike: beater in the rain, road bike when dry.
It's 5:15 AM in Kenmore and the Doppler looks clear, the streets are dry, the forecast is occasional spot showers, but it is awfully cloudy. I'm going to go with the road bike, but take the rain gear.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 06-10-09 at 03:30 AM.
Old 06-10-09, 04:31 AM
rumrunn6

slugman - you're right about clean chain - seems a shame to dirty it up so quickly and so soon after slaving over cleaning it. this week is crummy even if doesn't rain though. I have to drive for an offsite assignment today and I might be missing the last good day to ride today. The weather lady is all doom-and-gloom for Thursday and Friday. I'll make every effort to ride. This week can be a banner week for me, hit the gym and pool hard last night after riding home and bringing my son for some batting cage time - playoff week don't you know!

sox shut out the yanks last night ...
Old 06-10-09, 05:19 AM
supercycle62

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It rained here yesterday morning so I walked/bused to work since I don't have rain gear. Of course it stopped raining by the time I went home...
Old 06-10-09, 07:18 AM
JBett

Bikes: Jamis: Durango

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Its looking like today is going to be the best of the week.Cloudy and grey but no rain.But the rest of the week its going to be wet and cold..I have to get some rain gear.
Old 06-10-09, 02:38 PM
slugman
Lurker

Bikes: IRO fixed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh I'm not talking about a clean chain, I mean brand new virginal steel just out of the wrapper...that I got wet by riding in today because as you said, it's looking like washouts the rest of the week. Roads look dry now though it's still gloomy.
Old 06-11-09, 03:58 AM
gear

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Still dry, weather forecasters made bad calls all week.
Old 06-11-09, 04:09 AM
Jim from Boston

Originally Posted by gear
Still dry, weather forecasters made bad calls all week.
At 6:00 AM though the roads are dry, green on the Doppler is starting to encroach on my route, and rain is again predicted. I'm talking the rain bike for my one hour commute.
Old 06-11-09, 06:07 AM
rumrunn6

Yeah I saw that radar too. I'm not I like the new super sensitive radar. It can be deceiving. The ride is was sweet, nice and dry, cool but warm ... huh? You know what I mean. I brought rain pants for the ride home just in case, but I left my hi-vis jacket sleeves home, so all I have is the vest. Oh well, it's not waterproof anyway ... Here's to positive thinking! And maybe some sun this weekend?
Old 06-11-09, 06:18 AM
Jim from Boston

Originally Posted by rumrunn6
Yeah I saw that radar too. I'm not I like the new super sensitive radar. It can be deceiving. The ride is was sweet, nice and dry, cool but warm ... huh? You know what I mean. I brought rain pants for the ride home just in case, but I left my hi-vis jacket sleeves home, so all I have is the vest. Oh well, it's not waterproof anyway ... Here's to positive thinking! And maybe some sun this weekend?
That's exactly how my ride was this morning, so according to my scoring system, I lost because I took the rain bike. "cool but warm ... huh?"...I know what you mean though I did wear full-fingered knit gloves this morning.

It doesn't matter so much in the evening if it rains, since I take the train home and could leave my road bike at work, though then on the next day I only have the rain beater mountain bike to ride. (Actually, the beater is a nice bike, but it is not my preference if it is my only bike availble on Saturday, when I do my long ride.)