Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Cannondale kills its touring bikes for 2011

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-10, 01:04 PM
BengeBoy 

Bikes: 2009 Chris Boedeker custom; 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 2021 Bill Davidson custom gravel bike; 2022 Specialized Turbo Vado e-bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts

I was looking at the new Cannondale lineup on their website, and noticed that their touring bikes were no longer visible on the new site.

I sent them an email asking what's up, and got this answer in reply:

"While supplies last we will still be offering our 2010 Touring 1 and Touring 2 models. Your local Cannondale Retailer can further assist with the availability of the model that you are interested in and in the size that you need. For 2011 we are not offering a Touring model. We will have to wait and see as to what 2012 will bring."

Sad to see these go -- I believe the very first Cannondale models way back when were touring bikes, and they have been in their lineup forever.

I know that several members here own them as well.
Old 10-02-10, 04:38 PM
sonatageek

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I noticed that too. It is interesting that one of the local shops has a 2009 T2 still on the floor. I inquired about the price and they are at full retail. I would have thought something that is aging out to 2 years old would have had some discount.
Old 10-02-10, 07:40 PM
rothenfield1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
That's just sad. I was under the impression that touring bikes were making a comeback. Maybe all the hype over the LHT sucked all the air out of the market for other brands. On the positive side, it may make your vintage Cannondale a little more valuable.
Old 10-02-10, 07:44 PM
KDC1956

Bikes: Surly LHT 52cm Nice Bicycle I think.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Well that sucks.
Old 10-02-10, 08:22 PM
derath

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would be willing to bet this has nothing to do with the touring market in general, and more to do with the fact that Cannondale really isn't Cannondale anymore.
Old 10-02-10, 09:56 PM
Dahon.Steve

Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by derath
I would be willing to bet this has nothing to do with the touring market in general, and more to do with the fact that Cannondale really isn't Cannondale anymore.
Exactly

Cannondale thought like a lot of other manufacturers that "Made In America" was just a sticker. They didn't reealize how much "Bling" that sticker gave their bikes in this recession where thousands are out of work.
Old 10-02-10, 11:49 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
The Export Touring bikes were better from Cannondale already ,
In the US the red scare killed the paid holiday as a communist plot .
Europeans voters threw out governments till they got it.
Old 10-03-10, 08:08 AM
Grim

Bikes: Cannondale T700s and a few others

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Dorel marketing at its best. Here is the first hint of the Cannondale Marque being destroyed like they have done to Schwinn and the others.

The Touring bikes were a small portion of their sales. MOST of there sales is in mountain bikes and sport bikes to weekend warriors with deep pockets. Spreadsheet economics drove them to drop the least profitable line.
The questions is is how long till Cannondales show up in Walmart?
Old 10-03-10, 06:49 PM
robow

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked 283 Times in 194 Posts
So no more Cannondale and Novara touring bikes? What a shame. Maybe touring is not the "next big bike thing"
Old 10-03-10, 06:52 PM
LeeG

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 64 Posts
Originally Posted by robow
So no more Cannondale and Novara touring bikes? What a shame. Maybe touring is not the "next big bike thing"
and that's a good thing, it's just a bike.
Old 10-03-10, 07:02 PM
BengeBoy 

Bikes: 2009 Chris Boedeker custom; 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 2021 Bill Davidson custom gravel bike; 2022 Specialized Turbo Vado e-bike

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts

Novara has 2 touring bikes in their 2011 line-up:

- The Safari, which is now in steel (not aluminum)
- The Verita, which they variously describe as a "sport touring" bike and in another place as a "touring" bike.

They just put out a release last week...
Old 10-03-10, 07:57 PM
robow

the verita, do you have link?
Old 10-03-10, 08:21 PM
BengeBoy 

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
the verita, do you have link?
Look here under road bikes:

https://www.rei.com/novara/media

SRAM Apex 20-speed drive-train; appears to have rack mounts front and rear; comes with 28c tires.

Don't know what the geometry is.

Here's the REI description:

"Italian for "truth," this retro-style Novara is exactly what it looks like—the classic roadster. The chassis is a touring-class chromoly steel frame with a stretched-out geometry that gives it a rock-steady ride mile after mile. Contemporary components include a 30-gear SRAM Apex drivetrain that has the range to handle the ups and downs of the open road.

* Strong double-butted Reynolds 520 chromoly frame offers a comfort-oriented geometry and an upright riding position for long days in the saddle
* SRAM Apex 20-speed drivetrain with FSA Vero compact crankset can smoothly adapt to subtle terrain changes
* Shimano long-reach brakes offer reliable speed control and room for fenders
* Puncture-resistant and reflective 700x28c Vittoria Randonneur tires;
 lightweight and durable Weinmann rims
* Novara leather saddle and handebar tape provide a classic look and feel "

Last edited by BengeBoy; 10-03-10 at 09:26 PM.
Old 10-03-10, 09:17 PM
rothenfield1

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BengeBoy

That's a smart looking bike. Reminds of of a Raleigh Clubman. "Touring" may not be the next big thing, but practical steel framed bikes capable of carrying a commuter pannier or groceries and yes maybe an overnight kit for a weekend trip, just might be.
Old 10-03-10, 10:26 PM
Bezalel

Bikes: Raleigh Companion, Nashbar Touring, Novara DiVano, Trek FX 7.1, Giant Upland

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

SRAM Apex 20-speed drive-train; appears to have rack mounts front and rear; comes with 28c tires.

Don't know what the geometry is.

Here's the REI description:

"Italian for "truth," this retro-style Novara is exactly what it looks like—the classic roadster. The chassis is a touring-class chromoly steel frame with a stretched-out geometry that gives it a rock-steady ride mile after mile. Contemporary components include a 30-gear SRAM Apex drivetrain that has the range to handle the ups and downs of the open road.

* Strong double-butted Reynolds 520 chromoly frame offers a comfort-oriented geometry and an upright riding position for long days in the saddle
* SRAM Apex 20-speed drivetrain with FSA Vero compact crankset can smoothly adapt to subtle terrain changes
* Shimano long-reach brakes offer reliable speed control and room for fenders
* Puncture-resistant and reflective 700x28c Vittoria Randonneur tires;
 lightweight and durable Weinmann rims
* Novara leather saddle and handebar tape provide a classic look and feel "

That looks nice but I wiuldn't considure it as a replacement for the Randonee. From the photo is looks like it has shorter chainstays and only 2 sets of bottle bosses and dual pivot brakes.
Old 10-03-10, 10:56 PM
rothenfield1

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Bezalel
That looks nice but I wiuldn't considure it as a replacement for the Randonee. From the photo is looks like it has shorter chainstays and only 2 sets of bottle bosses and dual pivot brakes.
It's not designed to be a replacement for the Randonee, and that's the sad truth of it. I can't think of any other off-the-shelf steel touring specific bikes still made designed on the geometry of such vintage bikes as the Miyata 1000 and Specialized Expedition. Maybe it's an end of an era. And, Cannondale seems to have come to the same conclusion. The market may have divided between the hard-core self-supported long distance tourers that prefer a MTB type bike and the weekend warrior types that would like a sporty ride most of the time capable to handle an overnighter or 2.
Old 10-04-10, 01:00 AM
robow

Kind of odd mix, 36 spoke wheels, yet only a double up front. Long reach caliper brakes may not allow much larger tire than the stock 28's yet there appears to have plenty of clearance for larger tires, though you can't see the width of the chainstays only the length. Unfortunately, the stock gearing probably isn't low enough for most to ride fully loaded up any serious grades.

Last edited by robow; 10-04-10 at 01:08 AM.
Old 10-04-10, 06:27 AM
geeza
Slow, but steady.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Were the 2010 bikes that are left made in the USA?
Old 10-04-10, 07:21 AM
Philly Tandem

Bikes: Too many! Santana tandems and triplet; MTBs; touring bikes

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 15 Posts
I like the idea of the "Verita." Fact is, for most folks a full-on touring bike is simply overkill for daily rides. Having something like the classic "sport-touring" bikes of the 70s-80s may very well actually make touring more accessible to the masses. They will buy the bike as a nice, all-around road bike, and then maybe they'll start looking at the rear rack and lowrider brazeons and think, "maybe I'll try an overnight tour and see how it goes." And, as an aside, the all-around road bike is almost as extinct as the touring bike, as it seems to be all-race, all the time now in most road bike lines.

The Verita seems to have a good bit of touring features from looking at it: f/r rack brazeons, decent clearances and wheelbase, handlebars up pretty high, etc. If you are a serious tourist then swapping out some components (crank, etc.) isn't a big deal.
Old 10-04-10, 07:22 AM
BengeBoy 

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by geeza
Were the 2010 bikes that are left made in the USA?
I think Dorel (the new owners of Cannondale) announced some time ago that no manufacturing would be done in the USA any more. I think there is a Cannondale facility somewhere in the US which is used to build up bikes; they import the frames and components, and then build up the bikes (install the components, etc.) prior to shipment to bike shops. I could be wrong, but that's what I remember.
Old 10-04-10, 07:54 AM
robow

Originally Posted by briwasson

The Verita seems to have a good bit of touring features from looking at it: f/r rack brazeons, decent clearances and wheelbase, handlebars up pretty high, etc. If you are a serious tourist then swapping out some components (crank, etc.) isn't a big deal.
I agree with what you said other than the fact of swapping out a crank as no big deal. You couldn't just swap out a crank, it would be a crank, bottom bracket, front deraileur, left hand brifter, possibly new chain and most often new rear deraileur. Lots of $
Old 10-04-10, 08:24 AM
ploeg

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think Dorel (the new owners of Cannondale) announced some time ago that no manufacturing would be done in the USA any more. I think there is a Cannondale facility somewhere in the US which is used to build up bikes; they import the frames and components, and then build up the bikes (install the components, etc.) prior to shipment to bike shops. I could be wrong, but that's what I remember.
You remember correctly. The factory in Bedford, PA will now just assemble bikes that are made in Taiwan.
Old 10-04-10, 09:35 AM
BengeBoy 

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by briwasson
I like the idea of the "Verita." Fact is, for most folks a full-on touring bike is simply overkill for daily rides. Having something like the classic "sport-touring" bikes of the 70s-80s may very well actually make touring more accessible to the masses. They will buy the bike as a nice, all-around road bike, and then maybe they'll start looking at the rear rack and lowrider brazeons and think, "maybe I'll try an overnight tour and see how it goes."
I agree as well -- there seem to be a number of these bikes coming on the market.

The Salsa Casserroll is one -- it's been revised for 2011, new models start to ship in late 2010 (see Salsa website); the Jamis Aurora Elite is another bike like that which --- while billed as a touring bike -- was really a bit more of a "light" touring bike.
Old 10-04-10, 09:57 AM
LeeG

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 64 Posts
that Veritas is an attractive bike but if it can't use 32mm tires and fenders AND it has mid fork rack mountings something is amiss. I see nothing limited about a double chainring and the intended purpose for light touring where a 1:1 and lower gear is possible. What I don't get the is the utility of gear ratios with two gears above 100" where the bike is obviously not a racing bike.
Old 10-04-10, 10:05 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 756 Times in 561 Posts
The Salsa Casserroll is one -- it's been revised for 2011, new models start to ship in late 2010 (see Salsa website); the Jamis Aurora Elite is another bike like that which --- while billed as a touring bike -- was really a bit more of a "light" touring bike.
I guess it depends on how you define touring bike and light touring bike. Most of the bikes in this class would suit me fine for multi-month touring once any gearing deficiencies are addressed. I wouldn't pick them if I wanted to carry 70 pounds, but for 25-40-ish pounds of gear weight (counting panniers, but not food or water) they seem fine to me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.