Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Pacific Coast: Sooner? Or Later?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-11, 12:02 PM
spike57

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

The Pacific Coast Highway currently is at the top of my touring wishlist. I have just enough time off this summer to do the Astoria to San Francisco leg. However, I'm only one to three years away from retirement. Should I go for the instant gratification and get a few weeks in this summer--and put up with heavy summer tourist traffic--or should I wait till retirement when I'll be able to do the entire coast starting after Labor Day?
Old 02-12-11, 01:21 PM
radumas

Bikes: Trek 520

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Now. No time like the present.
Old 02-12-11, 01:28 PM
skyzo

Bikes: '84 Cannondale ST500

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Do it now. You never know what will come up later that could prevent you from doing it.

I'm starting my tour on the pacific coast in mid-May, maybe ill see you somewhere.
Old 02-12-11, 01:46 PM
raybo
Bike touring webrarian

Bikes: I tour on a Waterford Adventurecycle. It is a fabulous touring bike.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 53 Posts
I live in SF. I've always tried to ride in April to try and get some pretty wildflowers.

Be aware that summer on the California Coast means lots of fog.

Ray
Old 02-12-11, 01:59 PM
nancy sv
family on bikes

Bikes: which one?

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Do it. We did it in the summer and the tourist traffic wasn't bad.
Old 02-12-11, 03:38 PM
kayakdiver
ah.... sure.

Bikes: Specialized.... schwinn..... enough to fill my needs..

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Just did it this past summer starting around the end of August(the whole thing)... I honestly didn't find the traffic bad at all. I will say though that I'm pretty comfortable riding on busier roads. After Labor day the traffic thinned out nice and never had any problem finding room at campgrounds along the way.

As for the waiting.... Why? You have the time and desire.... that should be enough to get you going.
Old 02-12-11, 05:14 PM
Shifty
Sore saddle cyclist

Bikes: Road, touring and mountain

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
That Astoria to San Francisco is really nice, do it now. You can do it again when you retire, there are many variations for inland routes for variety. Example, once I left the PCH at the Russian River and had a beautiful 3 days riding up to Healdsburg, Guerneville, Sabastipol. I enjoyed wine tasting, great cafes and food, beautiful riding in the redwood groves and friendly people. I got back on the PCH at Bodega Bay and on to Marin County.
Old 02-12-11, 05:38 PM
TheHen

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I like Shifty's advice. Don't do this as part of a bucket list, instead leave the coast highway frequently and explore some of the coast range beauties. In addition to Sonoma and Napa County's treasures (and don't forget to return to the coast via Coleman Valley Rd from Occidental), I would recommend looping in towards Eugene from Florence or Waldport and returning to the coast through the O.&C. lands where you can literally go fifty to one hundred miles without seeing a car. Check out the Lost Coast in Humboldt County; it avoids a lot of the worst parts of Hwy 101 but does have a 25 mile dirt road finish (Usul Rd.) Doing it this way means you will climb many more and steeper hills, so your miles per day will go down, if that matters at all to you. You can post in the various geographic subforums for specific inland loop route advice.
Old 02-12-11, 05:45 PM
surfjimc
Used to be fast

Bikes: 85 Specialized Expedition, 07 Motobecane Immortal Spirit built up with Dura ace and Mavic Ksyriums, '85 Bianchi Track Bike, '90 Fisher Procaliber, '96 Landshark TwinDirt Shark Tandem, '88 Curtlo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Shifty
That Astoria to San Francisco is really nice, do it now. You can do it again when you retire...
+1
Looks like your plan will be my plan also. I wanted to do the whole route this summer, but it looks like the time will not be available, so will do Astoria to San Luis Obispo, where I can hop the train back home. I will do the entire route later when I can take time to explore and enjoy.
Old 02-12-11, 07:26 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
up here, late July - August - September starts to let up on the wetness. ..
Old 02-12-11, 07:45 PM
tligman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree. Do it this year, and take me with you.

Signed,

Dreaming Under a Cleveland Winter
Old 02-12-11, 08:19 PM
valygrl

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Now. You can do it again later if you want to do the whole thing in one go, it's worth doing more than once!
Old 02-13-11, 01:49 AM
tip

Bikes: Novara Randonee, Trek 800

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I say do it. Maybe I'll see you out there, I'm leaving for my PC tour in June. Good luck with your decision!
Old 02-13-11, 02:22 AM
The Impossipede

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Another in "now" camp. I always worry if I don't do something, I could get hit by a bus between now and when I think I "should" get around to it.
Old 02-13-11, 07:45 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 756 Times in 561 Posts
I would say do it now as well. You can still do the whole coast, the Trans America, the Sierra Cascades, a ride across europe, or whatever when you retire whether you do this now or not.

That or maybe even find a way to swing some extra time (leave without pay?) and do the whole thing now That is what I did when faced with the choice of doing the TA or waiting until I retired. I was surprised to find my employer supportive even though I presented it to them as kind of an ultimatum. I also found that it helped rather than hurt my career. It seems that I was missed while I was gone.
Old 02-13-11, 10:10 AM
simplygib

Bikes: Hard Rock Sport, Peugeot Triathlon, Schwinn Paramount Series 7

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Do it now, or do it later, but definitely do it at some point. There are lots of places to tour, and personally I think it's more important that you just get out there and do it, with the choice of location being a secondary consideration. I've had a great time on all my tours, regardless of location.

I did the Pacific Coast in 2008 right after retiring. It was my "West Coast Freedom Tour." That one was special, because I was finally free. But I would have had that same feeling touring anywhere.
Old 02-13-11, 12:55 PM
spike57

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for the persuasive comments. I guess it's time to order the maps and plan transport for me and the bike from Denver to Portland. I hope to be on the PCH no later than June 20.
Old 02-13-11, 02:29 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2740 Post(s)
Liked 974 Times in 797 Posts
I did it in June as well, but as others have said, June can definitely be cool, so do have a fleece with you, and the rain gear for wind protection at the least, especially in mornings and evenings. Enjoy if you do go, its a pretty part of the world and interesting in how the landscape changes as you go down the coast.
Old 02-14-11, 12:10 AM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
Another thing to consider: We started our Pacific Coast ride in Lund, BC, Canada. Actually, Vancouver BC to Lund to Astoria. It was a great ride. It took us about 2 weeks to cover that part of the route. That would save the Astoria to San Diego for later. However, a lot of the ride is not actually on the coast. Our goal was to ride Highway 1 or 101 from its northern terminus to the southernmost point. As others pointed out, summer is foggy and more traffic. We've done several coastal tour; all started close to Labor day. More sun, Less rain and fog, and definately less traffic.

I'm also with the others about not waiting. There are no guarantees in life.

The catalyst for our ride across the US a couple of years ago was a comment my wife made to me when we first started talking about it; having the do it now or do it later discussion, "you aren't getting any younger".

Last edited by Doug64; 02-14-11 at 12:26 AM.
Old 02-14-11, 10:43 AM
BigBlueToe

Bikes: Surly LHT, Specialized Rockhopper, Nashbar Touring (old), Specialized Stumpjumper (older), Nishiki Tourer (model unknown)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I did the entire Pacific Coast in 1992, then went back and rode the Oregon part about 5 years ago. I went in the middle of summer - end of July, beginning of August. I did so because I grew up in the Seattle area and I know how much rain is possible along the coast. In mid-July, early August, your chances of avoiding it are good. I got three days of drizzle and one of hard rain on that first tour. The second one was warm and dry the whole time.

The tourist traffic didn't seem to affect me. There are hiker/biker campsites all down the coast. In Oregon they can't turn bikers away. It was nice to ride up on a line of cars at a campground kiosk, see the "campground full" sign, hear them asking the ranger where else they might camp, ride up to the window, and say, "Hiker/Biker please," knowing that there was always a spot. One time an organized tour with about 15 riders pulled into the campground. They opened up a regular campsite they'd been holding in reserve and made it a second hiker/biker site. No one on a bike was turned away.

The shoulder is pretty good most of the way. I think there's always traffic, so the difference between August and after Labor Day wouldn't be enough to trump the liklihood of good weather.

My nephew rode from Vancouver, B. C. to San Francisco, but he couldn't leave until the middle of September. He got rained on a ton. He didn't have a very good time. I had the time of my life!
Old 02-14-11, 08:31 PM
leftcoast

Bikes: Trek 520 - Cannondale Synapse

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I did the Oregon Coast in Sept 2009 and had 1 day of rain, the rest of the time was great and I would say "do it now". I'm going to do Astoria to San Francisco
this Sept, might go all the way to San Diego if I have the time. I couldn`t do much touring last summer because of work and I really missed it, it`s one of the few things i do in life where i completely forget about everything else. I am going to get my fill this year.
Old 02-14-11, 08:44 PM
Shifty
Sore saddle cyclist

Bikes: Road, touring and mountain

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
From Portland to Astoria avoid taking highway 30, it's no fun. Instead take the light rail from the airport to Hillsboro, then ride to Banks and pick up the Banks to Veronia trail. At the end of the trail ride highway 42 to Mist, then 202 to Jewell and Astoria. I find highway 30 dangerous and no fun, the Mist Jewell route is a delight.

Enjoy the trip!
Old 02-14-11, 08:51 PM
msviolin57
fiddling with my bike

Bikes: Trek 520

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm planning to do that ride in late June/July, and I can't wait! It's raining enough this winter, so it'll be dry this summer, right? Right?? :-)
Old 02-14-11, 09:07 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2740 Post(s)
Liked 974 Times in 797 Posts
ya right
you pays you money, you takes you chances.
Old 02-14-11, 11:16 PM
valygrl

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Good weather on the Pacific Coast in summer = deck stacked in your favor.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.