Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Riding from Philly to Key West...

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-11, 11:06 AM
Wrench_Monkey

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm leaving in a few weeks. I'm planning to meander and take my time seeing the sights. What are some of your favorite spots/routes along this path? In a related question, will there be any issues riding out between the Keys? Google seems to indicate that the bridges are bike-friendly, but any first-hand experience would be appreciated. Also, will I be able to camp anywhere, or will I get stuck in hotels for that part of the trip?
Old 03-08-11, 03:29 PM
tom cotter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's been a few years since i've been down there. The roads leading to Key Largo aren't real bike friendly. Busy, two lanes, fast traffic and not much shoulder. Typical FL roads.
Lots of traffic this time of year. Much of it RVs. The bridges, once in the keys, aren't a problem. Big shoulder, lots of room. Part of the keys have a bike path. It's not complete but is usable on many of the keys.

I too am planning a ride from the Philly area to Key West and then on to FT Myers via the Key West Express. My plan is to ride down the coast, Cape May, Eastern Shore, VA, OB, Brunwick Ga, etc. Going late summer.
Old 03-08-11, 04:06 PM
The Impossipede

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just rode this stretch last June. The bridges between the keys are no problem. They're working on reconnecting all the old rail bridges which run parallel to the road--this means that in some spots, you're totally separated from traffic.