Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Does anyone switch between clipless and toe clips on the same bike?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-13, 01:02 PM
Puget Pounder
Wookie Jesus inspires me.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

When I built up my de rosa, I put chorus (maybe victory?) pedals on it and duplicated the setup on my Litespeed, which I was professionally fitted for. Same saddle-BB setback, reach, etc... I even took into account the difference in pedal/cleat stack heights. The bike felt OK, but was less than what I expected in terms of ride quality.

This morning, I threw on speedplays for my commute, and the fit is definitely more inline with what I expected. I realized that it's not just the difference in how you pedal. The clipless also locks you into a different position. I realized that I even sat further back on the saddle and evened out the center of balance around the BB even more.

I love having one bike that you can wear street shoes on a regular basis. I was just trying to figure out what pedal system the de rosa should rock, so I've been switching back and forth to decide. Definitely clipless for this one. Anyone else notice the change in fit?
Old 04-16-13, 02:47 PM
20grit
Curmudgeon in Training

Bikes: 1974 Gazelle Champion Mondial, 2010 Cannondale Trail SL, 1988 Peugeot Nice, 1992ish Stumpjumper Comp,1990's Schwinn Moab

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
I run both Shimano 600 Aero Pedals and Crank Bros Candy 3's on my Gazelle. The toe clip and my shoe cleat are set up so that my foot is in the same position over the spindle. I don't ever feel any difference in fit.
Old 04-16-13, 06:41 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1393 Post(s)
Liked 1,329 Times in 837 Posts
I do toeclips exclusively, but I would agree w/ 20grit -- if your foot is rotated properly for you and the ball of the foot is over the pedal spindle, there should be no difference.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 04-16-13, 06:53 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
I have more than one pedal wrench, so changing pedals takes no time, really.

Have Lyotard 460D pedals on the old Cross bike,, , Fisher's version of a double toe clip.

made the esoteric step of cutting the toe strap and screwing it to the ends of the pedals..

road bike the Mavic 640 seem OK.. I do have a couple Time ATAC SPuD pedals, and some shoes,

I can switch them easily enough , if the seat height seems off I change it..

Last edited by fietsbob; 04-16-13 at 07:05 PM.
Old 04-16-13, 07:04 PM
roccobike
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
I started to switch pedals on one bike, then received some good advice from another C&Ver, DON'T. Your cranks were not designed to have the pedal threads routinely screwed in and out and properly tightened. You might not have a problem, but they're alloy, not steel. If you begin to wear the threads, your cranks are toast. Changing a few times is no problem, but regular changing is not something I would recommend.
Old 04-16-13, 07:08 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
TA pedal washers take care of the crank faces.. but I mostly ride my platform pedal Ergon,
bike ..

if your source was not the designer , its an opinion . one of many..
Old 04-16-13, 09:35 PM
Pars 

Bikes: '73 Raleigh RRA, 1986 Trek 500 commuter

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts
I don't change them regularly, but a pair of eggbeaters and campy NR pedals with clips/straps. Put those on tonight and proceeded to snap a toe clip while riding (plastic one). Didn't notice any change really in riding position/saddle height.
Old 04-17-13, 12:56 PM
Puget Pounder
Wookie Jesus inspires me.

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by roccobike
I started to switch pedals on one bike, then received some good advice from another C&Ver, DON'T. Your cranks were not designed to have the pedal threads routinely screwed in and out and properly tightened. You might not have a problem, but they're alloy, not steel. If you begin to wear the threads, your cranks are toast. Changing a few times is no problem, but regular changing is not something I would recommend.
Agreed. I have switched them out twice over the past 2 months, and that's probably too much. Just trying to figure out what I like.

Originally Posted by John E
I do toeclips exclusively, but I would agree w/ 20grit -- if your foot is rotated properly for you and the ball of the foot is over the pedal spindle, there should be no difference.
Perhaps you are right and that it's in my head. I do notice that with non-clipless pedals, there is more pressure being placed on the ball where there may be less in a rigid-shoe clipless setup (since the arches don't fatigue as easily). I'll have to take a look at my setup, but my pro-fit has my cleats a little bit to the rear of the ball of my foot/axle.