Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Grab On Grips for your road/Touring bike Who still using them ?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-19, 02:23 AM
combover

Bikes: Way to many to list

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

Ok, am I the only one out there who still love the old Foam Grab On Grips on my bikes ? lets see some pics !! will try to post some of mine, I am not having much luck with pics right now...
Old 09-20-19, 08:21 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3452 Post(s)
Liked 1,452 Times in 1,131 Posts
I have not seen them in years. They were sold in the old days when most "10 speed" bikes (a double crank and five speed cluster) often had thin plastic handlebar tape or maybe the cloth tape that was almost as thin.

Now, many bikes have a thicker cushioned tape, sometimes with gel and sometimes cork. On some of my bikes I also put a thin piece of foam under the cork tape for extra cushioning.

My point is that it is not really needed.
Old 09-20-19, 08:43 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6200 Post(s)
Liked 4,201 Times in 2,357 Posts
I've used them in the past. I even enjoyed using them. But they have fallen out of fashion for a couple of reasons. The first reason is that the cheap knockoffs gave them a bad name. The Grab-on version is stable to UV and doesn't degrade very quickly. The cheap knockoff versions weren't. They degraded into a crumbly mess that most people don't want to deal with.

The second reason is that they aren't all that compatible with modern brake and/or derailer cable routing. They were something of a bugger to get onto the bars as it was. Trying to slide them over one or two pieces of cable housing won't make them any easier to put on. It can be done but it's easier to use tape.

I still use the mountain bike grips and I prefer them over just about any other grip I've tried. But I just can't see using them on road bike bars. Not that I think they are unnecessary or they aren't useful, I just think they are too much of a hassle for use with modern bikes.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 09-20-19, 08:45 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,492 Times in 7,316 Posts
They are still out there:

https://www.thebikeshopstore.com/cat...CABEgJ4vfD_BwE

Wouldn't want to use anything that absorbs and traps water.
Old 09-20-19, 09:45 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3410 Post(s)
Liked 3,540 Times in 1,782 Posts
Originally Posted by combover
old Foam Grab On Grips
Wow, haven't seen those in many years!

I don't pad my bars, but the people I see with padded bars are using something underneath their bar tape, like this Bontrager stuff:

Old 09-20-19, 10:25 AM
BobG

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 81 Posts
Originally Posted by combover
lets see some pics !!
At one time I used Spenco gel grips but I haven't since the '80s. Pictured is my bike being assembled at the Zurich airport at start of trip into France. As you can see the grips squirm around the bars and slide down into and away from the brake levers...

I keep them as a souvenir in a box along with my flickstand. toe clips and Biopace crankset!
Likes For BobG:
Old 09-20-19, 03:05 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Quoted: 6200 Post(s)
Liked 4,201 Times in 2,357 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
They are still out there:

https://www.thebikeshopstore.com/cat...CABEgJ4vfD_BwE

Wouldn't want to use anything that absorbs and traps water.
Those are the cheap crumbly ones. Go with the original if you want to use them. They last much longer
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 09-20-19, 06:47 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2735 Post(s)
Liked 969 Times in 792 Posts
I had some grab on stuff on a motorcycle back in probably 1980, does that count?
Old 09-21-19, 09:45 PM
DeadGrandpa

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 491 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 201 Posts
Originally Posted by BobG
I keep them as a souvenir in a box along with my flickstand. toe clips and Biopace crankset!
I installed a set of Grab On Grips on my rigid gravel/bikepacking bike and loved them. Now I have them on my paved road bike, and wrapped them with a gel cushioned bar tape for good measure. I like the extra large diameter it gives me to grip.

As for the toe clips, mine are still on my paved road bike. I wear some Merril trail running shoes when I'm on the bike so that I can walk normally when I get off the bike.

And I carry a Click Stand when I tour.
Old 09-22-19, 05:19 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2735 Post(s)
Liked 969 Times in 792 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
Those are the cheap crumbly ones. Go with the original if you want to use them. They last much longer
About a month ago I saw a lady with a nice 89 or 90 touring bike, miyata I think, and it had what I presume was the original grab on foam on the bars, which seemed in great shape.
Everything on the bike looked period, so it was probably the original foam. She was my age ish and it looked like the bike had been not used in a while and stored, because it was so clean looking, and she told me she had bought it new in those years.
Old 09-22-19, 07:16 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
I used them on a couple of drop bar bikes and installed plenty more of them for customers. I have since gone with padded tape instead. Also used Grab On grips on a motorcycle back in the '80s.

There's currently a set of the grips and a gen-you-wine sticker on my wife's MTB.