Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Bottom bracket compatability question

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-20, 02:19 PM
washed up

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 15 Posts

I have a 10 to 15 year old Felt road bike with a triple crankset and would like to remove the crankset and bottom bracket to install on an older steel frame Origin8 cross/gravel bike. Before I start removing bottom brackets I would like to know if the threads are compatible. Didn't want to take them apart to try them if there is a good chance it wont work. Any thoughts or experiences on these bikes? Thanks.
Old 01-13-20, 02:42 PM
AnkleWork

Bikes: old clunker

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 83 Posts
Originally Posted by washed up
I have a 10 to 15 year old Felt road bike with a triple crankset and would like to remove the crankset and bottom bracket to install on an older steel frame Origin8 cross/gravel bike. Before I start removing bottom brackets I would like to know if the threads are compatible. Didn't want to take them apart to try them if there is a good chance it wont work. Any thoughts or experiences on these bikes? Thanks.
Best: take it all apart and measure.
Good: read everything marked/stamped on the BB and crankset and pump it all through an internet search engine. Read the results carefully.
Not so good: rely on published/remembered/guessed specifications from several years.

BTW, you can probably measure shell widths in situ and guess BSA threads and you'd be 80% there.
Old 01-13-20, 05:31 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I would take out the BB, read what it says, and buy a new one.
Old 01-13-20, 06:24 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2741 Post(s)
Liked 3,388 Times in 2,051 Posts
I can't imagine either of those bikes being anything but English (BSA) threaded and most likely 68mm shell width.
Likes For dedhed:
Old 01-13-20, 09:17 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
This. Andy