Notices
Southeast Alabama | Arkansas | Florida | Georgia | Kentucky | Louisiana | Mississippi | North Carolina | South Carolina | Tennessee | Virginia

Silver Comet Parking

Old 01-10-20, 10:15 AM
spinconn

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 23 Posts
Silver Comet Parking

I see the thread advising the trail is closed through February. I am planning to do it and the Al section round trip in late March or in April. It is too long for me to do in one day so my vehicle will be parked a couple of nights and days. Anyone have any info on the safety of parking at the Smyrna GA trailhead? I have looked at a Trail specific website and do not see that info there. Also, is the parking open at night since the trail itself closes at sunset?
Old 01-14-20, 06:49 PM
DougRNS
Silver Comet Fred

Bikes: 1

Mentioned: 145 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8723 Post(s)
Liked 2,854 Times in 1,673 Posts
Can't offer much other than an idea.

Instead of parking at the Smyrna end ,why not park at the big parking lot at the Home depot, target, Sam's club etc plaza in Hiram on rt. 278 near Trail mile marker 14 and ride to the Smyrna end and then turn around and head back west. If you park out of the way you might be ok for a day or two. The access to the trail is doable from there maybe a quarter mile away.

That's all I've got. Good luck.

Last edited by DougRNS; 02-07-20 at 07:34 PM.
Old 01-14-20, 07:10 PM
spinconn

Thank you very much DougRNS, I have been coming up empty looking for info on this and your idea helps a lot.
Old 02-06-20, 04:34 AM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
I’m not sure you’d want to leave your vehicle parked overnight at the Smyrna Trailhead for security reasons. I’ve ridden from Smyrna to Anniston and back with overnight stays in Jacksonville. I’ve always left my vehicle overnight in the Publix parking lot in Smyrna with no issues. The trail extension goes right beside the parking lot.

Others have suggested staying the night before in a hotel close by on Hwy 280 and Highlands Parkway, like Comfort Suites. You could get permission to leave your vehicle parked there while you ride.

Pay attention to road crossings around Smyrna.....busy traffic plus other users of the trail during the day.

I’ve always ridden it out to Anniston and back over two days but others have taken longer. The Silver Comet Trail is about 60 miles from Smyrna to the end at the GA/AL state line. From there it’s about 35 more miles to the trailhead of the Chief Ladiga Trailhead in Anniston. The entire length of the trail is paved.

Rockmart has a bathroom and water available beside the trail. Cedartown is about half way for both trails and has lodging there. Stop at the depot there for any cycling information. Piedmont has always been a good lunch stop for me going out......a new bakery there or they also make sandwiches in the grocery store. You can eat at the gazebo at the trailhead office in Piedmont. I use Cedartown for lunch on the return trips. Also there is a Citgo just a couple blocks off the trail at the Coots Lake Trailhead you might find useful for refreshments.

There is a really good site for the SC trail and Chief Ladiga Trail on Facebook you might check on. They can provide you with real time updates on detours and closures. Steve Rowland is the admin and you can request to join the group. Nice folks!!!

Last edited by jppe; 02-06-20 at 04:53 AM.
Old 02-07-20, 08:52 AM
spinconn

Thank you JPPE, that is very helpful. My son and I are planning for the first weekend in April, adding a day to make it 3 days. Your info is much appreciated.
Old 02-10-20, 05:40 PM
cyclejoc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by spinconn
I see the thread advising the trail is closed through February. I am planning to do it and the Al section round trip in late March or in April. It is too long for me to do in one day so my vehicle will be parked a couple of nights and days. Anyone have any info on the safety of parking at the Smyrna GA trailhead? I have looked at a Trail specific website and do not see that info there. Also, is the parking open at night since the trail itself closes at sunset?
You may park at the Home Depot in Hiram overnight. They have lots of lights and cameras. It's less than a half mile from the trail.
Old 02-11-20, 12:38 PM
spinconn

Thanks cycljoc, that is a big help.
Old 02-17-20, 11:51 AM
1979schwinn 

Bikes: 79 Schwinn & 2017 Fuji Tread 2.0

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 12 Posts
I would park at the Paulding County Government Complex. It has lite parking, cameras, and 24 hour Sheriff / Marshall patrols.
This lot is across from the Tara Drummond Park and down a West 278 bike trail 0.8 mile.
Old 02-18-20, 08:56 AM
spinconn

Originally Posted by 1979schwinn
I would park at the Paulding County Government Complex. It has lite parking, cameras, and 24 hour Sheriff / Marshall patrols.
This lot is across from the Tara Drummond Park and down a West 278 bike trail 0.8 mile.
Thank you Schwinn.
Old 02-18-20, 12:44 PM
robbiesd

Bikes: `06 Roubaix Expert

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Hi spinconn,
I live in Smyrna and typically ride the SCT 5 days a week. The closing is at the bridge over Noses Creek, (mile 8ish) The bridge is supposed to be re-opened 2/20/20. Yesterday I saw they poured half of the new concrete deck. Raining today so I doubt the other half is being done but the trail should be fully open when you arrive. Almost all the Trailhead parking lots are kinda secluded for long-term parking IMO and as the trail closes at dark, none of them are lit. I not aware if they are patrolled although the Paulding County Sheriff's Dept. uses an old caboose as a trail sub-station at the Hiram Trailhead. Mike is the Officer assigned to it. He's mostly out on the trail, has a smartcar, a motorcycle and a bike he uses. A mtn biker on his own time. Other's suggested nearby parking locations that are well lit and perhaps patrolled that might be better. The Publix just east of mile 0 would be a good parking spot and it's right on the Silver Comet Connector so it's really the same as the Silver Comet Trail. Just west across the intersection from Burger King is another parking lot right next to the Silver Comet Connector and facing the E/W Connector that I think is lit. I see cars there for days on end sometimes and the cupcake shop in the strip center behind often parks a sign-truck there for long periods.
Old 02-19-20, 06:18 AM
robbiesd

Bikes: `06 Roubaix Expert

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Spinconn,
This is from today's local paper. looks like a delay in re-opening the noses Creek Bridge until 3/20/20. https://www.ajc.com/news/local-govt-...HVolaOz3iICuK/
One can get around the closure by going out Industry Rd to Flint Hill and then onto Powder Springs Rd then to Carter and back to the trail. There is a sidewalk along the north side of Powder Springs and a crossing signal at Carter but there is no crosswalk or light Powder Springs and Flint Hill nor a sidewalk on the south side of Powder Springs. Powder Springs is a busy 4 lane w/ 50 MPH traffic.