Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

About got it by a Bus today.

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-10, 05:59 PM
Grim

Bikes: Cannondale T700s and a few others

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I'm so pissed I am seeing red.

There is a bike lane part of my route and for some reason they like ending bike lanes at intersections n GA despite the fact that changing lanes in an intersection is illegal in GA .

I have rode this intersection 100's of times so I am well aware of what is coming up.
In the below picture the green dots is where the bus was at the bottom and I was at the top. A car traveling in in front of the bus had just past me and I moved into the lane. As you can see I gave the bus plenty of time to change lanes or slow. It is down hill so I am rolling about 20-22mph. The bus is just clearing traffic merging into the left turn lanes and rolling 30-25mph max due to traffic.

The Yellow dots I am fully in the right lane. The bus driver blows the horn at me and has made no attempt to change lanes and I think they were still accelerating.
I maintained the lane.

Red dot the jack hole runs me up on me, I get out of the lane and I had to run through the striped gore area that is full of pebbles and sand from the last snow storm and very hazardous to ride in. The mirror missed me by less then a foot about a 1/4 way into the intersection.

I sent off the following e-mail to every address I could find for the transit when I couldnt get a person on the phone.

I want the tapes. I want them to be shown to the state legislators to help pass the 3ft law that has been introduced in GA.

45 route at approximately 4:35pm Friday April 2nd. I believe the actual bus number was 5021

East bound on Chastain road after crossing 575. The Bicycle lane ends at the intersection just east of the bridge. Just as any traffic lane The bicyclist must merge when the lane ends. By Ga code it is not legal to change lanes in an intersection. That means the bicyclist should merger before the intersection since the bike lane ends.

The car that was traveling in front of the bus was a good 10-15 car lengths ahead of the bus when it passed me as it was accelerating much faster then the bus. I was careful to make sure I gave the bus plenty of time to make an adjustment in lane or speed and merged just as soon as that vehicle passed me to maximize the time they had to allow them to make a safe pass. I was traveling approximately 20-22mph (its down hill at that point and I run over 20mph all the way to Chastain Corners). The bus was traveling approximately 30 when I merged . The light on the west side of the bridge had also just cycled as I was caught by it as was the bus several cars back.

I took control of the lane at a point to make sure the bus was not overtaking me in the intersection since the bike lane ends. Instead of the bus driver changing lanes as the law requires when passing or slowing if the lane to the left was not clear the driver appeared to maintain speed started blowing the horn at me trying to intimidate me to leave the roadway. I looked back at the driver at that point I still had plenty distance between us since I was traveling in the same direction few MPH less speed. I do not recall seeing a vehicle to the left of the bus that would have prevented the driver from changing lanes but even if there was the driver had plenty of time to slow till the lane cleared allowing them to move into the left lane. As I entered the intersection the driver made no attempt to give me room and overtook me in the same lane in the intersection in a VERY unsafe manner. The mirror on the bus was less then 1 foot from my head as the bus passed me. The air being displaced from the bus almost caused me to fall it was so close to me.

I am very upset at this behavior.

Your driver is discourteous and disrespectful of other drivers on the road.

I want the video from that bus pulled and reviewed with the driver. I want the driver consoled on the fact that a bicyclist has the same rights on the road as a motor vehicle. I want that driver reminded that they are not to bully other drivers. I want the driver to understande that safe passing is 3 ft or more and that requires the leave the lane. Just like any other vehicle A bicyclist is not suppose to drive in gored off area or a turn lane unless they are turning I was in full compliance of those law when I merged..BY LAW a Bicyclist can drive right down the middle of any lane less then 14ft in width. I do not do that I do try to leave room for drivers to only need to get the left wheels out of the lane to pass me on a road like Chastain.

Please note when you review the recordings there is rear view mirror on the end of my left handle bar as well as one on the left side of my head that clips on my glasses. I have as good of visibility behind me as any automobile without the need to turn my head. I was fully aware of where the bus was.

I have had a problem with the 45 bus route before. I can not say if it was the same driver but due to the obvious issue this driver has with bicyclists I would not be surprised if it was the same driver.

Last fall I was passed by the 45 in front of KSU and before the bus had cleared me the driver came over into the bicycle lane and pinched me to the curb to make a stop. I was paying attention as I hear the tone of the engine change so I was not hurt but I did have to make evasive maneuvers. The driver should have pulled in behind me and NEVER attempted to pass me knowing they had a stop that close. That time I wrote it off as an honest mistake. Never again with this route will I think the driver made an honest error. I will treat drivers on this route as bullies and I will from now on involve law enforcement.

GA bicycle laws.
https://www.gohs.state.ga.us/gabikelaws.html

Handbook that is given to law enforcement.

https://www.georgiabikes.org/Portals/...G%20052306.pdf

Bill HB 988 3ft passing bill that I activly am involved with as a member of Bikecobb.org. Once passed this driver would have received a ticket on par with reckless driving for passing a bicycles that close. I am also activly involved with complete Streets and alternative transportation proponent including mass transit and attend county work shops.
https://www.legis.state.ga.us/legis/2.../sum/hb988.htm

What did I do wrong besides thinking this jackhole would be professional?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
bus1..jpg (82.7 KB, 232 views)
Old 04-02-10, 06:03 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,245 Times in 623 Posts
Good Luck on that.

Old 04-02-10, 06:44 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
The worst thing about bike lanes is the conflict they cause at intersections (they encourage right and left hooks). So if you must have bike lanes, it is proper to end the bike lanes before intersections. As you properly did, cyclist should move into the through lane through the intersection, even if a bike lane exist through the intersection.

Good luck on educating the bus driver.
Old 04-03-10, 10:57 AM
AngeloDolce

Bikes: Many English 3 Speeds

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
I think your only mistake is in the follow up, and easily corrected. Contact an elected state or local government representative as a constituent. They are typically more responsive. You did not make any mistakes on the road; if you rode in the gutter you'd have far more serious problems.

I had a bus driver run me off a 25 mph local road 3 times a few years ago (passed me incompletely, and pulled into stop before the end of the bus was past me); when was going to complain he said that I should know I am required to ride on the side walk (it's illegal) and swore at me when I asked for his name.

The local state representative was quite responsive; the bus authority responded quite quickly, and took the time to identify the driver, who turned out to be a new vacation replacement driver and not the usual driver. They seemed to think he should know traffic laws, and not use profanity with voters.

I suggest you contact your local city or state representative, preferably local enough to be familiar with the area, and ideally on a government body that funds the bus authority.
Old 04-03-10, 11:44 AM
Tundra_Man 
The Fat Guy In The Back

Bikes: '81 Panasonic Sport, '02 Giant Boulder SE, '08 Felt S32, '10 Diamondback Insight RS, '10 Windsor Clockwork, '15 Kestrel Evoke 3.0, '19 Salsa Mukluk

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 115 Posts
I a bizarre fit of irony, I was nearly run down by a paratransit bus two weeks ago.
Old 04-03-10, 03:59 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by Tundra_Man
I a bizarre fit of irony, I was nearly run down by a paratransit bus two weeks ago.
Not as ironic as a paratransit bus intentionally harassing and endangering cyclist at three different points during a Ride of Silence.

https://www.hbl.org/?q=node/16
https://www.rideofsilence.org/main.php
Old 04-04-10, 09:19 AM
buzzman
----

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 4 Posts
I deal with buses on my commute as well. I've written emails both applauding the drivers that give me room and castigating those that do not (or do worse). Your note was specific and level headed despite what must have been a very aggravating and somewhat frightening experience.

I did get a chuckle out of one typo, however: "I want the driver consoled on the fact that a bicyclist has the same rights on the road as a motor vehicle." I think if anyone needs to be "consoled" it's you, the driver would do well to be "counseled" but even that seems a light penalty- I think he needs to be screamed at and threatened.

Good letter and glad you're okay.
Old 04-04-10, 09:33 AM
Schnayke

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Where you went wrong was riding on a street with a bike lane. They are very un-safe things. I stay away from them almost always. As cyclist’s we need to stop them putting these things in everywhere. They are not for our safety they are for the, drivers expedience. Also make it, so the drivers don’t even have to pay attention to us.
It seems like they are ok for roads with speed limits over 45, how ever the ones I run into are always on roads with speed limits 35 and under.
Old 04-04-10, 07:12 PM
Grim

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks for the reassurance I didn't screw up. Waiting to hear back from these folks. If I don't hear from them I'll forward this to my Commissioner. I also have been asking around and one of my friends knows somebody with the transit and they are trying to get me in touch with them. I really want to see the tape to make sure I remember this clearly.

As for the bike lane...fact is it is almost unridable. They won't sweep it.

There is no other route that will get me there that is any safer (yet). I have a new 4 lane and a MUP that will parallel it that that parallel this road they just started. Next year when these are complete I will have two other better options that are actually shorter to boot.
Old 04-04-10, 08:05 PM
DX-MAN
Banned

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Wow -- sorry to hear about this, but my experience in GA (early 90's) suggests to me that you're lucky it doesn't happen more often.

Around here (NE IN), the city buses give cyclists lotsa room -- SCHOOL buses are a HAZARD! Got passed by one, COMING UP TO A RED LIGHT, less than a foot away! Yup, driver got an earful.
Old 04-04-10, 10:12 PM
AndrewP

Bikes: Peugeot Hybrid, Minelli Hybrid

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
This afternoon a bus passed me just before he got to a stop where people were waiting to get on. He didnt pull into the curb until I was behind him and had pulled out to pass him on the outside. It is great when you notice drivers watching out for you.
Old 04-05-10, 11:43 AM
Grim

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I actually heard back from a very nice lady at the Transit this morning. Her boss had her contact me but I was already on her list to call since I had also found her e-mail and put her on what I sent above. They are getting the Drivers managers involved.

Unfortunately there may not be video.

As she explained it the video system does roll all the time but unless the driver activates a capture/save or the bus has a collision and it activates the capture feature automatically it will eventually get recorded over. She did not know if the horn would have caused it to activate. God knows the driver sure wouldn't have incriminated himself if he was being a asshat.
With this happening late Friday when their was nobody that I actually reached to get it and if that bus was in service all weekend then it has been taped over.

She told me she she would contact me when she heard back from the drivers supervisor. If this driver has a history of complaints their should be repercussion.

Either the nicest blow off ever or they take complaints like this serious. We will see what happens when I hear back from her.
Old 04-05-10, 12:17 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
the shoulders this time of year are a disgrace. they are all torn up and full of clutter that makes riding in them dangerous. bike lane sare actually a menace to our safety.
Old 04-05-10, 12:28 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
Originally Posted by Grim
There is a bike lane part of my route and for some reason they like ending bike lanes at intersections in GA
I too am a proponent of ending the bike lane stripe well before intersections, but only if ended well before.

However in this case as far as I can tell from the photo the bike lane stripe is not ended before the intersection. It appears the bike lane ends right at the intersection and it (or any extra pavement width) does not continue on the other side of the intersection. That is terrible.

This is not a design I support - it is the worst of designs. With a bike lane on the close side of the intersection there is no indication to cyclist or motorist that there should be merging or lane sharing at the intersection approach - a cyclist who merges out of the bike lane is more likely to get harrassed as it appears to the motorist that there is a perfectly fine bike lane present. Then without warning there is not only no bike lane on the far side of the intersection, but a narrow lane that can not be shared side by side.
Old 04-05-10, 02:16 PM
Grim

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Noisebeam you should see how screwed up the have it on the other side of that bridge. It is 3 lanes with the right lane becoming a lane for the on ramp south at the Bridge. They actually have the lines for the bike lane jump one lane left IN THE intersection. Now you have a bike lane between two lanes traveling the same direction.

What makes it worse is it is not market that the lane becomes a right only lane TILL the intersection so you get folks that do not know and all of a sudden they are trying to merge left through the bike lane.
BUT WAIT! !t gets even worse! At Rush hour you get idiots that will intentionally drag race up that right turn lane to beat traffic and then cut over three lanes to get on 575 north.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Chastain..jpg (106.9 KB, 41 views)