Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Anyone ever seen a tool like this?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-13, 09:14 PM
silver_ghost

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Taking advantage of the relatively slow days fall brings to a bike shop, I built a couple tools this week that hold and orient loose ball bearings so they can be placed into the races of a shimano hub all at once, saving the effort and greasy fingers of placing them one-by-one.

I'm surprised that I haven't heard of an existing tool that solves this (admittedly minor) problem, but I'm also suspicious of the possibility that there is anything new under the sun.

Have any of you folks run into a tool like this before? Alternatively, are there any deep pocketed toolmakers who'd like to license mine?
Old 09-20-13, 09:55 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4201 Post(s)
Liked 3,857 Times in 2,305 Posts
I have seen vdeo of a tool that raises from the bottom of a tub of balls and on it's face (A circular shape with a depressed edge) it captures 11 balls (1/4" for BBs). then loads the balls into a pregreased cup. Andy.
Old 09-20-13, 10:05 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5779 Post(s)
Liked 2,576 Times in 1,427 Posts
The easiest and fastest way to handle, count and load balls is with a piece of steel or copper tubing with an ID slightly larger than the balls. To count X balls, you measure X diameters, and dimple the tube, or drill across and set a stop pin. Finish by bending the tube into a scoop shape, and stick the far end into a file or screwdriver handle.

Then store your balls in a long tray.

To use - run the tool up the tray of balls and it'll fill with an exact count. Set up the hub, with the axle blocking the hole, and pour out of the tube and you're done. Total cost to make is about a buck or two.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 09-21-13, 06:51 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Originally Posted by silver_ghost
Taking advantage of the relatively slow days fall brings to a bike shop, I built a couple tools this week that hold and orient loose ball bearings so they can be placed into the races of a shimano hub all at once, saving the effort and greasy fingers of placing them one-by-one.

I'm surprised that I haven't heard of an existing tool that solves this (admittedly minor) problem, but I'm also suspicious of the possibility that there is anything new under the sun.

Have any of you folks run into a tool like this before? Alternatively, are there any deep pocketed toolmakers who'd like to license mine?
Picture?
Old 09-21-13, 08:28 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
I just use a pair of tweezers. No greasy fingers, BBs go exactly where I want them.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 09-21-13, 08:52 AM
cny-bikeman
Mechanic/Tourist

Bikes: 2008 Novara Randonee - love it. Previous bikes:Motobecane Mirage, 1972 Moto Grand Jubilee (my fave), Jackson Rake 16, 1983 C'dale ST500.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
I like FB's idea - eliminates counting and handling, but a condiment dispenser (different color for each size) cut to the right diameter also allows one to easily distribute the correct amount and size of balls into the cup.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
bearing dispenser.jpg (1.8 KB, 160 views)
Old 09-21-13, 08:53 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Ketchup and mustard dispensers. Cut the spout opening to just the right size to allow only one ball to be squeezed out at a time. Two colors - two different sized bearings.
Old 09-21-13, 08:55 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Oh man! cny-bikeman beat me to it. His post has art too.
Old 09-21-13, 09:09 AM
cny-bikeman
Mechanic/Tourist

Bikes: 2008 Novara Randonee - love it. Previous bikes:Motobecane Mirage, 1972 Moto Grand Jubilee (my fave), Jackson Rake 16, 1983 C'dale ST500.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Hey, no problems - great minds run...

I don't think there's anything I enjoyed more that coming up with creative ways to solve problems. I used that idea way back in 1975, did a lot of other things for our shop, like color coding wrenches, making 'pointy tools" (awl), parts holders and "hub pokers" (for pushing a rag through hub tunnel) from spokes, and using clear silicone caulk to seal hubs, or sections of inner tube to seal the bottom of headsets.

I also designed a repair form unlike any I have seen since, that I later used in my own mobile repair business. We had limited space and a huge amount of repair business, so we found some tall, heavy gas-pipe racks and two-ended hooks that we used for bike storage - pretty much the same a hanging shirts on a closet rod.

Last edited by cny-bikeman; 09-21-13 at 11:05 AM.
Old 09-21-13, 09:10 AM
RaleighSport
Hogosha Sekai

Bikes: Leader 725, Centurion Turbo, Scwhinn Peloton, Schwinn Premis, GT Tequesta, Bridgestone CB-2,72' Centurion Lemans, 72 Raleigh Competition

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by cny-bikeman
I like FB's idea - eliminates counting and handling, but a condiment dispenser (different color for each size) cut to the right diameter also allows one to easily distribute the correct amount and size of balls into the cup.
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
Ketchup and mustard dispensers. Cut the spout opening to just the right size to allow only one ball to be squeezed out at a time. Two colors - two different sized bearings.
So stealing that one.. thanks guys!
Old 09-21-13, 10:27 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
I just use a pair of tweezers. No greasy fingers, BBs go exactly where I want them.
Me too. I remove the old bearings with a magnetic pickup tool which gets them all out, including the ones that try to escape into the hub's axle hole. I do not use the magnet on the new bearings.

FR's metering tool is clever but be aware that the number of balls varies from hub to hub. Most older Shimano front hubs use 10 3/16" balls per side while some newer ones use 11. You will need a collection of these measuring devices.
Old 09-21-13, 11:36 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5779 Post(s)
Liked 2,576 Times in 1,427 Posts
Originally Posted by HillRider
Me too. I remove the old bearings with a magnetic pickup tool which gets them all out, including the ones that try to escape into the hub's axle hole. I do not use the magnet on the new bearings.

FR's metering tool is clever but be aware that the number of balls varies from hub to hub. Most older Shimano front hubs use 10 3/16" balls per side while some newer ones use 11. You will need a collection of these measuring devices.
Or you can make one for 10, and add the last ball when needed. In any case the tool is super simple and cheap to make.

BTW- I didn't invent my metering tool. Ones like it have been used to load bearings probably as long as there have been bearings. Automated systems use a similar method of counting balls by lining them up on a sloped track between 2 gates. The rear gate opens and the balls roll down, then closes behind them. Then the front opens and they roll into the bearing assembly stage.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 09-21-13, 11:40 PM
silver_ghost

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
FB: never run into that bearing loader idea. Simple, elegant and cheap, my favourite! Made one today out of some busted rack tubing. Thanks for the tip!

CNY and Retro: You'll be happy to hear your idea has been adopted by at least one distributor, who packages bearings in squeeze bottles for convenience.

HillRider: Left them at work but I'll try to get some pictures on Monday.
Old 09-22-13, 05:00 AM
HillRider

CNY and Retro: You'll be happy to hear your idea has been adopted by at least one distributor, who packages bearings in squeeze bottles for convenience.
Yes, Bike Tools Etc sells it's packages of 1000 loose bearing balls in plastic squeeze bottles with a dispenser spout. It appears the bottle size varies with the ball size so they are differentiated by size, not color.
Old 09-22-13, 05:41 AM
Medic Zero

Bikes: Old steel GT's, for touring and commuting

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
FB: never run into that bearing loader idea. Simple, elegant and cheap, my favourite! Made one today out of some busted rack tubing. Thanks for the tip!

HillRider: Left them at work but I'll try to get some pictures on Monday.
Reminds me of the method used to load the Tommygun BB guns at the Shoot Out The Star game at midways.