Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Strava Global Activity map (2017)

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Strava Global Activity map (2017)

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-18, 09:49 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts
Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
I don't know about that, unless there are a lot of other cyclists pulling into and leaving from my driveway.
Good point... not totally sure how the details work here.
Old 05-07-18, 11:00 AM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Originally Posted by Hypno Toad
Still won't track mid-ride going back to your house. Basically none of your activity tracks in your privacy zone will show anybody other than for you.
I believe that's incorrect. It certainly is for my rides. I have examples where I've left my house, ridden a few km, come back to my house and then carried on. The track to my house is visible to others but the start and stop points of the ride are both outside the privacy zone.
Old 05-07-18, 11:42 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Originally Posted by gregf83
I believe that's incorrect. It certainly is for my rides. I have examples where I've left my house, ridden a few km, come back to my house and then carried on. The track to my house is visible to others but the start and stop points of the ride are both outside the privacy zone.
I stand corrected. I looked back at my favorite figure-8 century route that allows me to stop at the house to refill bottles, and use the plumbing. The start and end are outside the privacy zone, but you can clearly see my mid-ride stop.

Interesting, those stops don't appear to show on the heat map. The first release of the 2017 heat map had a bright route up my driveway; but there no color there now.
Old 05-07-18, 11:48 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12771 Post(s)
Liked 7,688 Times in 4,081 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
Yes, so you select Running (the shoe).

Then, when the ride is finished, and you enter your details about the "run" on the phone, where it says Type of Workout (or something like that) select whatever you want from the great long list.

Nope, not a premium function.

Unfortunately a lot of people must've wanted options up front, so Strava put them up front, and now we're back up to a 4 tap process to begin recording a ride.

Ride With GPS is just a one tap process.
Old 05-07-18, 11:51 AM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
I stand corrected. I looked back at my favorite figure-8 century route that allows me to stop at the house to refill bottles, and use the plumbing. The start and end are outside the privacy zone, but you can clearly see my mid-ride stop.

Interesting, those stops don't appear to show on the heat map. The first release of the 2017 heat map had a bright route up my driveway; but there no color there now.
I have to zoom in to see a few faint lines going to my house. They're either the rides I did where I stopped mid ride or others dropping by. Not very visible if I'm zoomed out though.
Old 05-07-18, 11:59 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Originally Posted by gregf83
I have to zoom in to see a few faint lines going to my house. They're either the rides I did where I stopped mid ride or others dropping by. Not very visible if I'm zoomed out though.
If I zoom-in to the point where my house is most of the screen, I see a couple faint lines... I know that's my riding buddy that stops over for beers. But like you say, can't see it without zoning way in.

Last edited by Hypno Toad; 05-08-18 at 11:11 AM. Reason: bad typing - what else would there be with me?
Old 05-08-18, 10:58 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
Unfortunately a lot of people must've wanted options up front, so Strava put them up front, and now we're back up to a 4 tap process to begin recording a ride.

Ride With GPS is just a one tap process.
The Runtastic road cycling app is just a one tap process, too. Just open the app and tap on the green "Start Activity" bar. I haven't used the Strava app in a while so not sure how involved it is.
Old 05-08-18, 11:16 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Funny to see how many people are recording their driving on Strava, check out the highway cloverleaf below - 394&494 west of Minneapolis.

Old 05-08-18, 12:35 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
Call me suspicious, but I question anyone who "owns" a Strava record doing 4 miles at 57 mph (in a 50-55 zone). Not that they deserve a speeding ticket, just that they did it on a bike.
Old 05-08-18, 02:12 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

I'm a little OCD (more than a little), there's a road segment near the parking area for a popular single-track trail... the top of the leaderboard was totally full of people that left the single-track trails in the car and forgot to turn off Strava. I spent an afternoon flagging activities when you can see them going 60 mph on the highway.

Footnote - riders can crop rides, keeping the ride when they were biking and removing the part in a car.
Old 05-10-18, 10:01 AM
gecho

Bikes: 2009 Trek 520

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 130 Posts

After the big security fuss Strava implemented some new rules in their heatmap generation. One of them was that nothing will appear on the heatmap if only one user rode in that area. That change alone eliminates the majority of driveways from heatmaps even if users don't have privacy zones.

I did a lot of gravel exploring the past few years where I've been down plenty of roads that no other Strava user has, so all those rides disappeared from the global heatmap. Its a mildly annoying since it hides plenty of unmarked trails that you might otherwise be able to discover.
Old 05-10-18, 10:21 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12771 Post(s)
Liked 7,688 Times in 4,081 Posts
Originally Posted by gecho
After the big security fuss Strava implemented some new rules in their heatmap generation. One of them was that nothing will appear on the heatmap if only one user rode in that area. That change alone eliminates the majority of driveways from heatmaps even if users don't have privacy zones.

I did a lot of gravel exploring the past few years where I've been down plenty of roads that no other Strava user has, so all those rides disappeared from the global heatmap. Its a mildly annoying since it hides plenty of unmarked trails that you might otherwise be able to discover.
Yeah, a LOT of my tracks in Wyoming disappeared. Bummer.