Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Replacement Shimano Dura Ace First Generation Brake Hoods?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-18, 02:51 PM
since6

Bikes: Stevenson Custom, Stevenson Custom Tandem, Nishiki Professional

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked 196 Times in 128 Posts

After looking and reading posts it appears that finding Shimano Dura Ace First Generation brake hoods is akin to finding unbobtainium. So with that thought in mind is there a work around brake hood, such as the Crane Creek non-areo gum hood that would work? Does anyone know if that brake hood does work? I list Crane Creek as in comparing pictures of that brake hood to the Dura Ace First Generation brake hood they look similar.

The goal is a working hood, not perfection, so if you have found another brand and/or if the Crane Creek works please let me know. Thanks
Old 08-05-18, 03:13 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26411 Post(s)
Liked 10,376 Times in 7,204 Posts
...If you're talking about the aero levers, I have used those on first gen Dura Ace with some success. Be aware that they will end up out on the lever a little farther, so there's a gap between hood and bar tape.

If that bothers you, it's pretty easy to wrap some bar tape in there under the hood at the junction of hood and bar to fill it. Also, I keep thinking that I ought to get some black rubber plugs to fill the holes where the cable would come through, or maybe plug it with silicone seal. But I have never done it and it's been several years now since I installed them. They work.